Controversial Opinion: Wraith Is Unfun to Play Against

Options
bubbabrotha
bubbabrotha Member Posts: 1,138
edited November 2020 in General Discussions

The same with ghost face. It just feels cheap what they can do to you. I also hate jump scares, they are a cheap way at getting a reaction.

I'm in no way saying they should be nerfed, I'm just saying they are very unfun to play against.

Comments

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967
    Options

Just make sure u don't DC. Just kill urself on the hook at least.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    edited November 2020
    Options

A wraith walks around a corner and starts uncloaking right in your face, you thought he was on the other side of a map. Pretty sure that counts as a jumpscare. Regardless of whether he hits you or not.

I myself am the opposite, I love getting startled by stealth killers and find the information game they make to be extremely fun. Though I can see how they're playstyles might feel cheap.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

The only thing I hate about Wraith is how so many players hook camp and tunnel.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,542
    Options

"Walks 25 meters and waits for the unhook with Make Your Choice"

• Seanibhoy93
    Seanibhoy93 Member Posts: 27
    Options
  • Spider_2051
    Spider_2051 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Well technically the game is a "horror" game so...

I also share this mentality, I like playing against them because they force you to stay alert and not just hold M1 until you hear a terror radius or any other sign that the killer is coming. Also wraith can easily be seen in most maps unless you're in a closed room with no line of sight, and still the bell gives you enough reaction time.

• Zorae42
    Zorae42 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2020
    Options

Just run spine chill. Helps with stealth killers and with small terror radius killers. If you don't enjoy being jump scared it mostly removes that element.

Doesn't help you with hag jump scares though :P I don't mind playing against hag, but man those get me every time haha.

The only killers I personally don't enjoy playing against are Bubba, Freddy, and Deathslinger. Mostly because it feels like there's not really any counterplay to their extremely powerful abilities besides being extremely skilled at the game (and maybe not even then if the forums are anything to go by). The rest you can get lucky jukes with mediocre skills, or their strong abilities are limited to a short window, or their abilities just aren't game ending.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,785
    Options

Unless its silent bell Wraith on an indoor map, its hard to get jump scared by him. You can see him coming and hear the bell when he uncloaks.

Ghostface is not fun for me, but not because of the jump scare factor, but because his reveal mechanic is broken. I don't like being one shot by a killer with a power that has broken counterplay.

• selflessnea
    selflessnea Member Posts: 565
    Options

Horror game has jump scares

Op: I dont like jump scares. It is unfun.

In all seriousness that's what makes this game fun. I will always enjoy a good scratch mirror myers game on an indoor map.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,023
    Options

Theres typically plenty enough info that the killer never really feels cheap. You can still see him if your paying attention and he has a massive slowdown while hes uncloaking, which often times is enough time to let you get to a nearby window or pallet. Spinechill comes in handy against him and is constantly on my loadout, although its by no means a REQUIRED perk.

What I will say is the killer makes it so you cant just turn your brain off while holding down M1 on a gen like alot of people like to do. Too many people are only alert when they hear a TR, which just ends up going to bite them in the ass when theres either a small TR or no TR at all due to a killer's power or perk. Try to get in the habit of staying alert to your surroundings. The last thing you want is to find out the Bubba your facing has tinkerer after he sneaks up on you because you werent bothering to look out for the big guy wearing a bright yellow apron walking your way.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,759
    Options

Woah, different people have different opinions. Absolutely wild.

On topic, use Spine Chill. Drastically reduces the jump scares IMO

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Yeah, but that's just stealth killers. You don't have any real info on them, so the first hit's often free. Or, if it's a Ghostface with skills and a big brain, the only hit's free. ("Free" in this context meaning that the survivor has no chance to escape it, not that the killer doesn't work for it). However, I'm okay with that. I'd rather have to keep my eyes peeled and still potentially get hit than have to deal with Nurse or PH or any of the other killers that, even in a straight up chase, I just have it hope they suck.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193
    Options

these killers will stomp if your team has no spine chill, but with it killers are weak

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,826
    Options

Are killers more fun to go against when they're weak?

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789
    Options

i can kinda understand, versing m1 killers does get boring after a while its not really exhilarating and no real sense of danger and jumpscares are just kinda meh, although it can be fun sometimes

• LuffyBlack
    LuffyBlack Member Posts: 595
    edited November 2020
    Options

Are startles and scares not a part of horror games?

• TheButcher6641
    TheButcher6641 Member Posts: 252
    Options

I personally enjoy going against all stealth killers. They are all unique in a way. The Pig has the ability to dash forward while crouching and quickly surprise people with a swift hit. The Ghostface blends in quite well in most environments, which means that he is able to hide effectively. The Wraith will use his power to come right up behind you and the wailing of his bell will alert you to his presence. The Shape is the true meaning of stealth. He will suddenly appear from behind a bush or a wall and dart at you without you even being aware of his existence. I find all of these killers entertaining and a change from your regular killers.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    edited November 2020
    Options

Not fun always perhaps but this game needs diversity. To start the game and go to a gen not knowing if you soon will hear a TR or if killer is very close, that is the fun part of the game.

• Lily0
    Lily0 Member Posts: 128
    Options

If you hate stealth killers that much you can just run Spine Chill

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

What can they do to you that feels cheap.

I know you mentioned jumpscares, but you say "also", so that can't be what you meant.

Of course it's perfectly fine for you to find Wraith to be boring to play against.

I'm not a fan of facing certain Killers either, it's just natural for that to happen since they're permanently different from eachother.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967
    Options

Would u prefer DC or suicide on hook? I'm just assuming he going to DC when he faces killers he doesn't like.

Its a semi joke.

• Seanibhoy93
    Seanibhoy93 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Fair enough mate 😂 I would rather he just manned up and did neither though

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

This is controversial, for sure. Wraith is fine. GF is BS to go against, though, and needs to be fundamentally changed tbh.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,137
    Options

As an FYI, just because a killer is unfun to go against for some people, doesn't mean they want them changed or nerfed. I'm sure OP realises that wraith is not OP and in fact needs buffs, he just doesn't like versing them.

I hate versing Myers and Billy, yet I know they don't need nerfs. People can have opinions and there is going to be at least one person who hates a killer even if that killer is classified as "fun".

Fun is subjective, so if mr big strimmer said that lets say "Demo is fun", that is their opinion. NOT fact.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Boring in the sense that the match just plays out easy? For me Wraith is kinda boring but not in the Spirit/Legion/Slinger/PPhead way.

It's the fact that once you're at a pallet loop he's purely a basic M1 killer. Sure, he can cloak. And you can either run to another loop, through a nearby window or if you're at a long, safe loop just keep running and his windstorm is powerless.

I hope one day he gets a proper rework and not a band aid fix like he always had.

I'd like him to have a higher skill ceiling, which would in turn make him stronger.

• bubbabrotha
    Options

I never said I wanted them changed. I just am stating my opinion.

• bubbabrotha
    edited November 2020
    Options

Looking back, I worded my post very wrong. When I mean cheap, I mean just their play styles in general. Jumpscares are very frustrating for me, because there is no substance, its just you being startled. That's why I don't like the fnaf games, even though I consider myself a fan of the series.

• TransverseCaster
    TransverseCaster Member Posts: 543
    Options

I run Calm Spirit just to counter Doctor. It's useless in 80% of games even though it counters other abilities and perks.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

I get where you're coming from. Stealth killers are always good at getting a free first hit and that's really it, but a few people and a certain popular killer streamer popularised a very interactive way of playing these killers and it's what everyone does now with them. It is the theoretical best way to play them but it's not exactly fun when the killer just doesn't want to do anything but get those kinds of hits. Scratch mirror Myers is the same thing. It's fun and exciting the first couple of times because jumpscares make you go aaaa, but it does get old when you know that he won't commit to a chase because he can't but can also see everything you do.

• Surreall
    Surreall Member Posts: 9
    Options

Nothing like turning a corner and there's myers staring at you with no terror radius.

This discussion has been closed.