Dear red rank survivors who crawl instead of recovering

Options

Please stop. Unless you're at an open exit gate or have tenacity you're actively lowering your teams potential to escape.

Comments

• Traciiee_1974
    Traciiee_1974 Member Posts: 18
    Options

I agree. I was working on a gen and saw someone crawl constantly away. Killer elsewhere completely chasing another survivor so was waiting for them to start to recover but no, still kept coming. Why should I recover your full ass when you can't be bothered to do it yourself and risk mine in the process

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,447
    Options

It's not the crawling that's the problem, the real problem is when survivors don't crawl at all but make no effort to recover in the meantime. I've run in to a bunch that will just sit there but don't recover making healing longer and risky.

• aEONoHM
    aEONoHM Member Posts: 208
    Options

No, it really isn't. The only reason you should start crawling instead of recovering is if you have Tenacity. That's it. As a slug the ONLY thing you can do to be useful is recover. If you're not doing that, you're wasting the time of anyone coming to get you.

People are trying to get you up ASAP because you're out of the game when you're down. I'm seeing a lot of WGLF too, which is a great anti-slug perk.

I'm sure you mean well, but you're wrong about this.

• Raz_
    Raz_ Member Posts: 296
    Options

"Red rank survivors" LOL

Red rank doesnt exist anymore or better it has no meaning anymore. every potatoe is now a red rank.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I personally disagree. If the Killer is distracted with someone else, you could use the opportunity to move away first. If the Killer loses sight of you because they were busy, they may eventually decide that you are probably long gone and abandon you rather than risk losing gen progress, creating an opening for you to be rescued. If you just sit right there to heal first, you risk the still-nearby Killer being able to get to you before a Survivor does.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

I see people so often not crawling and think why. There is a hooked survivor, the killer camping, and the one downed stays by the hook, so noone can come in to save either of them. If he crawls away, the killer have to choose instead of getting both for the price of one.

Also, usually i recover, but if i suspect the killer will come back before i recovered, i will crawl away and try to hide. Even if the killer gets me, he wastes a little more time than me just recovering on the ground where he left me.

• aEONoHM
    aEONoHM Member Posts: 208
    Options

I guess it depends on your rank. This stuff doesn't fly in red ranks.

• Traciiee_1974
    edited November 2020
    Options

Crawl away yes. I do, who doesn't? But to keep crawling and not heal at all? Ive stopped working on gens to heal, they've not moved since I've seen them stop but havent healed themselves at all. Who's going down if the killer comes back healing his ass. Me!! It's selfish play. If you've not bothered and just keep on crawling I'll move on too

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Yeah sorry, not going to lay there right where the killer dropped me because someone else thinks its more efficient. It does not take long to crawl at least out of sight and then recover if said killer is distracted. If the killer has legged it after someone else then fine, i recover rather than hide. But if they are close enough to still see me, im going to make it at least somewhat difficult for them to simply waltz back to me and pick me up again.

Everyone has their own playstyle and while you can give advice, its up to an individual player as to how they play. I survive a lot more by crawling away than I do simply laying there.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

Yeah, you're dead wrong to think it's always right to recover instead of crawl. A good survivor must decide in each situation which is better.

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575
    Options

Bingo. Laying in the exact spot you got downed makes it much easier for the killer, and much more likely that you or the person that heals you gets hit shortly thereafter.

If a survivor pops up from the dying state to the injured state the first place the killer is going to look is the spot they downed you.

I won't even attempt to heal someone that hasn't moved from the spot they were downed unless I know the killer is nowhere close.

• TAG
    Options

I don't know if that is something that is dependent on being a red rank or not. If the Killer is slugging you and being occupied nearby, moving away can give you an out. If the Killer is attentive, then it doesn't make a difference. If the Killer is slugging you and then moving far away, then it would be better to recover as moving around would do nothing to put you in a better position.

• Equus
    Equus Member Posts: 322
    Options

I developed a fun mindgame for crawling. If a killer slugs for the 4k and you give the impression of crawling towards the last remaining survivor you can send the killer in the wrong direction. This strategy has gotten me some escapes either for myself and/or for my team mate.

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575
    Options

Omg yes! Every time I see a downed survivor just laying next to a hooked one I scratch my head. I don't understand how anyone doesn't see how that makes things so much easier for the killer.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

You guys must not play much against killers with headphones if the crawling away out of sight thing actually works for you.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    edited November 2020
    Options

You'd be amazed. I've had players without DS active cancel heals continuously while down. Stay downed in the basement and not crawl or recover (I assume they've just given up), get downed by a hook in a failed unhook attempt and just stay at the hook (probably the one time where its actually a bad idea to not crawl). It's crazy. I think some survivors just aren't used to it as slugging doesnt happen much in low ranks. so when they get to purple/red ranks where slugging can be a requirement against good teams they don't know what to do with themselves when downed.

I've actually been throwing Ash's buckle up on recently as I think its quite good when paired with WGLF altruism/sabo builds when you force the killer to drop and chase.

I do really wish they had given the enhanced downed healing to Buckle Up, though. It doesn't make much sense on WGLF as thats one of the few actions that won't give you a token.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    Options

Sometimes crawling is the right play. Other times not. I had a game today where I had never been hooked. Teammate wouldn't get me. I crawled across the entire map to the edge where a sacrifice happened. The killer visited several times, never picked me up only until I was about to die. He couldn't hook me then though so I just ended up escaping 6 times till I finally bled out instantly. Other survivor escaped.

Another example would be if the killer is hard camping a hook and someone is slugged there. Just waiting there helps the killer camp harder. Someone has to come either for the hook or the pick-up. Just saying there is stopping your teammates from getting both you and the hook.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,942
    Options

It's situational. If the killer buggers off, and you're in the open, it's probably still better to hide before recovering in case the killer quick-turns. Likewise, if slugged, pulling away from the mess of other survivors is often better so the killer cannot find you, and you can be healed in peace.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Does anyone else deliberately position themselves in front of a window or vault which occasionally makes the killer step over it?

I still 🤣🤣 so much when they do

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

if the killer left me to slug I rather crawl away a few meters so he dont know my current position

• TAG
    Options
  • MidniteWolfy
    MidniteWolfy Member Posts: 28
    Options

At the end of the day its dependent on a read

If you're on death hook and the killer is distracted by a teammate, crawling away could be best if they return to get you only 15-20 seconds later, cause then they have to find you and maybe they can't find you in time (if theres just 1 gen left or something) and then you can recover in a corner, get picked up

But if the killer doesn't come back for you and the teammate they were chasing tries to pick you up and you're not recovered, boom its like you made a bad read

But you don't know until it happens, so its a read. You can't flip a coin, get tails and then say, this is why we don't flip coins because tails sucks, but then when it lands heads you're like - this is why we flip coins cause it rocks. Its gonna be one or the other

HOWEVER, in some cases where the survivor has had more than enough time to both escape the killer and crawl a mile away and they're not recovered? Yea.. hate those guys

• iZombie
    iZombie Member Posts: 231
    Options

It’s got nothing to do with headphones. If you gain enough distance and the killer doesn’t know where you are, they won’t be able to hear you. Plus, don’t get me started on the audio bugs that cause survivors to have no sound on the ground.

• iZombie
    iZombie Member Posts: 231
    Options

No I’m not wrong. What I shared was my opinion, so don’t tell me I’m ‘wrong’ for it.

Also, if you care to read the rest of the comments, the majority are agreeing with / saying the same as me. 🙊

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,789
    Options

It's a judgement call. You need to do the thing that you think gives you the best chance of surviving, based on what's happening around you. But I've had many red ranks games where I crawled away and the killer couldn't find me.

I had a match where a stealth killer camped me while I was slugged, so I crawled as far away from everyone else as I could. He followed me for quite a while before he realized.

• Traciiee_1974
    Options

I just wish I didn't spend so long waiting for a game to be teamed with players like this. Zero satisfaction game wise and mega frustrating

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

I often run Deerstalker as a fourth perk. So by all means, crawl around before healing. 😄

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Yeah, honestly it's not as useful as people want to think. Unless you're counting on getting the Iron Will bug, just recover. Maybe crawl to a pallet if one is close. But no halfway decent killer is going to be fooled by moaning coming from a bush 3m away from where they downed you.

Or, to put it another way, by the time you've crawled 10m you could have been halfway recovered.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

I’m only going to do that if a chase is being lead away from me. Otherwise I want to be left alone to crawl to a hiding spot, then recover.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    Options

The audio for slugs is so loud now it really is pointless to crawl unless it is to a pallet or exit. Why even have deerstalker with the slug audio louder than injury audio? My favorite are the ones that neither crawl nor recover. A sack of salt those ones when you just give up trying to work with them bc they are putting zero effort in.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,099
    Options

So you're the one killer who actually uses Deerstalker! :P

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Lol, yep that’s me. 🙂 Seriously, think back to how many times you’ve gotten a bit annoyed looking for a slugged survivor for 10-15 seconds in a match because they crawled into a hiding spot or you forgot where you slugged them, especially when they are hard to hear because or perks or the environment or their character just generally being hard to hear while dying. Deerstalker completely eliminates all that nonsense. Plus seeing the aura indirectly helps you spot when another survivor is trying to move in for a revive.

Sure it’s not in the same class as say Ruin + Undying, etc, but as a filler perk it’s just a nice quality of life perk that shaves off time in a match. And while I don’t heavily slug personally, I will slug someone if I have a bead on another survivor after a down to extend my pressure so even outside of “pure slug” builds it still comes into play most games. It’s just a good little somewhat underrated perk.