The Use Of RedShell in DBD

Options
BlooBoo
BlooBoo Member Posts: 10

Hello,

As some people found out, DBD has been using RedShell (spyware) without warning it's users and without an option to opt-out which is illegal according to the GDPR. (More info on redshell.io)

If you don't believe me, go into your game's installation folder /DeadByDaylight/Binaries/Win64 and you WILL find RedShell.dll.

I ask that it is promptly removed for the sake of everyone's privacy and that an apology is issued to all users.

Thank you,

Bloo

Comments

• GMan79
    GMan79 Member Posts: 186
    Options

That's a thing. Especially when looking at the new GDPR. I need to know what data they are storing from me

• Guiltron
    Guiltron Member Posts: 149
    Options

Boy oh boy, can't wait to see the commotion this will cause.

• Rush_b_naked
    Rush_b_naked Member Posts: 49
    Options

What type of information does Red Shell track?

Red Shell tracks information about devices. We collect information including operating system, browser version number, IP address, screen resolution, and font profiles.

Rage on steam and all forums !!! We never knew that DBD was installing this Crap on my pc !!!

https://redshell.io/gamers

• switch
    switch Member Posts: 489
    Options

Report the game on steam.
    GDPR is in full effect wont take much until devs will face the law.

• Rush_b_naked
    Rush_b_naked Member Posts: 49
    Options

i reported them on steam !

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,971
    edited June 2018
    Options

This whole thing feels super sketchy.

Looking over what it does, I'm not surprised the game has something like this, but the lack of transparency about it is troubling. Maybe I'm just too used to the EA "We're spying on you, deal with it" approach.

• Hadji
    Hadji Member Posts: 11
    Options

Reported and uninstalled, Even if they fix it I'm not gonna spend a dime on this game for a very long time.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,097
    Options

Maybe I'm jaded in knowing how much information gets mined from me on a daily basis.. but after reading what redshell does, ehhhh. Maybe this is how they track data for their design/development choices. If it's just that, or an easier way to track cheaters, or something that will benefit the game other than selling me out, I'm fine with it.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,097
    Options

Wow, I reply to a concern, get a vote up right away, and they address the issue. I knew I was meant for something.

• BlooBoo
    BlooBoo Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hello!

Thank you from all players for removing RedShell from your game.
    It is nice knowing the developers are trying to improve their relation with the community.

Have a good day/evening.

Regards,

Bloo

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    Options

@not_Queen Thanks for the fast response and the explanation makes sense. Also thanks for the removal and responding to the concerns.

• Spiritbx
    Spiritbx Member Posts: 264
    Options
    @not_Queen 

I dont think anyone minds having the option to opt-in to giving you guys the info you mentioned in the news post. The problem people have is simply that it was done without prior knowledge and consent. Most people wont mind giving up some info to helo make the game better and more successful, but it need to be done in a way where people can opt out of it and where they are informed of exactly what info is taken and where it will go.  

The same way people dont mind putting security cameras around their house, but dont really like it when they find out theres a bunch of camera in their yard for unknown reason.  

Information, consent, and communication are the key things to help foster and keep good relationships. With partners, friends, or clients.
  • Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,971
    Options

I'm glad for the speedy response and clarification on what was being tracked. Solid info is always reassuring when things like personal info might be in the mix. I can't fault anyone for raising the alarm over this, but the issue seems resolved now.

• Cypraz
    Cypraz Member Posts: 136
    Options

It certainly gives off a very creepy vibe knowing that this was happening without our consent. I believe an official apology is in order particularly given that many of us have and will continue to financially support this game and ESPECIALLY given that you guys have highlighted "transparency" in your dev streams I feel like this is a bit of a contradiction and it's likely going to piss a lot of players off. Personally I do feel a bit violated and taken advantage of, I don't know anything about redshell and had no idea such files were stored on my computer nor did I know I was being spied on through DBD (totally not cool).

• onark
    onark Member Posts: 105
    Options
  • onark
    onark Member Posts: 105
    Options
  • RagingCalm
    RagingCalm Member Posts: 408
    Options

@BlooBoo to you and any other people who overreacted to this, you really should feel very grateful for the devs removing the program from the game. Not because it is something that needed to be removed, but because they are willing to do something like this because some people that don't do research asked for it to be removed. If you actually look at their website(I will even put the link here for you https://redshell.io/gamers ), it clearly states that the program is used only so that the developers know the best way to advertise their game.
    Redshell does not do anything harmful and keeps no personal information. In fact, the exact opposite is true - it allows the developers/marketing team to properly advertise their game, so that future potential purchasers know fully what the game is, and are not being accidentally tricked into buying what they thought was, perhaps, an MMO, FPS, etc. etc..
    There was absolutely no reason to complain, as it does effect us current players in any way, and help potential purchasers of the game know what they are actually buying. Of course it helps the developers too, because advertising the game properly will attract people who will play the game a lot, buying dlc and cosmetics, but it is not black and white.
    Helping a game's developers get money does not always mean it is a bad thing. In this case, it is actually good because we can be very sure that BHVR will use this money to help advance the game. How do I know this? Because if they will be willing to stop using Redshell because you didn't do research and are now calling them EA levels of bad, then they would certainly be willing to keep happy players happy, and make them even happier.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,112
    edited June 2018
    Options

I'm confused by this statement, though "We integrated Redshell with the goal to track the efficiency of our marketing campaigns (how many players clicked on our advertisements on social media platforms and then purchased the game afterwards)."

If Redshell isn't in your computer until you install the game then how is it supposed to track which ad/method you chose to buy the game? If you go into a store and buy a video camera, that video camera won't have footage of you walking into the store to buy it.

Maybe browsing / clicking history? Does it monitor the friends of players who already own the game, to see how/if they buy the game?