Is it possible to have fun against deathslinger?

Every time I go up against a killer I never have any fun what so ever no matter how good or bad I played. Even if I escaped I didn't enjoy myself, it just feels like I'm always running (I run spine chill so I know when he's coming) and just hiding and gen rushing.

Then if he chases me I go down so quickly cause of his range, free zoning, and making it to where my choices don't matter and that isn't fun.

I either go down quickly or just be immersed and gen rush and neither one is fun at all

Is there a way to enjoy going up against a deathslinger?

Comments

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Yes, two ways for me.

1) Just don't get seen (4head). Stealth is funny to me so I can and will be hiding in a bush all game as soon as I hear the shot.

2) Head on. Nuff said.

If the slinger has some form of common sense, however, and knows how to press m2 into m1, then no it's actually incredibly rare for it to be a fun match.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

No. Deathslinger is easily one of the most boring killers to play against, sitting next to Freddy and Spirit.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,952

Deathslinger is great against Players who use Chase to deal with the Killer.

This just happens to be mainstream Survivors favourite strategy.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

He's also one of my favorite ones to go against, idk why people don't like him...

• HommeBizarre
    HommeBizarre Member Posts: 409

I play both survivor and killer (50-50)

I main nurse and deathslinger (cuz those 2 killers aren't stopped by pallets that much

and In fact when I play survivor, I love playing against the Deathslinger because I have to change the way I play... Especially with pallets because he can just shoot when I throw them.

Having fun against Deathslinger is possible, the hit box of the spear is quite small, you just need to brain by running to the left or to the right...

In my point of view he's fun to play as and against

• Malum_Midnight
    Malum_Midnight Member Posts: 366

I like going against him. I like trying to dodge his gun, its like a mini-game

• feechima
    feechima Member Posts: 905

No. There is no fun with spamslinger.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210

@Wesker09 What do you mean with "fun"? Can you specify that?

• Wesker
    Wesker Member Posts: 339
    edited November 2020
  • MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

I actually enjoy playing against Slinger, I feel that his counterplay comes from positioning rather than mindlessly holding Shift + W and playing Ring Around The Rosie with a pallet!

People that say this

Are the type of survivors that got so use to mindlessly looping, they refuse to use their brain against killers that makes them play differently!

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

I feel that survivor players like us are rare due to the fact that we enjoy the challenge of killers that make us play differently and consider our options and or make us use our brain!

• OllieHellhunter
    OllieHellhunter Member Posts: 703

Please tell me how you spam with him considering the reload time, slowdown during reload,maximum length to shot, missed shot cool down or if you hit, reel time and weapon wipe.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Hmm,it can be fun to play against a normal deathslinger,but it gets really frustrating if the deathslinger is decent.

Playing against him on maps with a lot of low wall loops like autohaven or macmillan is a nightmare.

I rather play against killers that have equal chances on loops like blight,huntress or demo

• OllieHellhunter
    OllieHellhunter Member Posts: 703

no clue, I prefer slinger both to play as and to verse but theyre both enjoyable to me

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

i think it was scott or someone who said it was mathematically impossible to dodge as he can insta ADS and fire

so no, not exactly my idea of "fun"

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159
  • carnage4u
    carnage4u Member Posts: 338

The answer is yes. he is a fun killer, that has plenty of counter. The fact about 7 people on these forums lose their ######### over the Deathslinger is hilarious. There are so many more challenging/difficult killers to face. The Gunsligher is not one of them, nor is he hard to deal with.

• BugsGalore
    BugsGalore Member Posts: 57

I get about as much ######### as deathslinger as I do on hag. I can understand it to a degree, but some people will go full danny g in my xbox messages because I picked a strong chase killer.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,109

Yes. Just stay out of line of sight and juke the shots. It's super satisfying to have a good chase against Deathslinger.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,790

How do you stealth a guy with a TR that small, though? I don't mind stealth and would enjoy being able to try that against Deathslinger, but you may as well stealth a T2 Dead Rabbit Myers. It's Spine Chill or bust.

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 968

if the deathslinger its decently good . probably every chase is gonna end in less than a minute...so yeah

other option is DROP every pallet(probably the most boring but eficient way if teammates are doing gens)

• Slendy4321
    Slendy4321 Member Posts: 605

Nope. Especially when Deathslingers spam their ADS to gain ground on you. It's just no fun to play against them

• notstarboard
    • Huntress has a 40m Lullaby that is unaffected by perks or add-ons. As a result, she is one of the least stealthy killers in the game, and survivors can readily use stealth to counter her. Deathslinger has a base 24m TR, but his TR is unique and spins up much more slowly and softly than Huntress's. As a result, when you run M&A (as the majority of Deathslingers do) he basically plays like a T2 Dead Rabbit Myers. In other words, you will have almost no warning that he's coming before he's right on top of you, so using stealth against him is only really an option if you're running Spine Chill.
    • Huntress cannot zone. Deathslinger can. What I mean by that is Deathslinger can continue to gain distance on a survivor while readying his ranged attack; he does move slower in ADS mode, but his ADS is so quick that he can spam it while still gaining distance on the survivor he's chasing. Deathslinger puts survivors in the same lose/lose that old Pyramid Head did. If he fakes a shot a few times, survivors have two options: 1) Dodge pre-emptively. In this case, you'll rapidly lose distance and he'll walk up and M1 you. 2) Keep holding W. In this case, the Deathslinger will realize you're not going to dodge and you'll be a sitting duck for their ranged attack. Both options only require the Deathslinger to make the right decision in order to land a hit; the skill of the survivor is entirely irrelevant. Meanwhile, Huntress, on the other hand, loses distance on the survivor she's chasing while readying a hatchet because she's required to charge it for at least a second at 78% speed (iirc) before she can throw it. When she pulls out a hatchet she has to temporarily give up on landing an M1, and when she goes in for an M1 she cannot instantly ready and throw a hatchet. Therefore, the same lose/lose situation doesn't exist for survivors.
    • Huntress needs to spend 2.75 seconds at 78% speed (iirc) before she can throw a hatchet at the same speed as Deathslinger's chain. Survivors are actually able to dodge her hatchets when they're not charged, and survivors have time to get to cover before her hatchets are fully charged. Deathslinger can shoot almost instantly and his chain cannot be reactively dodged.
    • When Deathslinger quickscopes, there is no audio cue for the survivor warning them that he's about to shoot. All you get is the "bang" when he fires. That audio cue only starts to play when he stays in ADS mode for a small amount of time. Huntress has a distinct audio cue when raising a hatchet and when charging it to full. Given that you can't dodge a quickscope this isn't the end of the world, but it's still just another bit of information survivors do not get against him.
    • Deathslinger applies deep wounds. Huntress does not. Deep wound VFX are annoying as hell to chase through and holding M1 to mend is just not fun. It also makes breaking free from the chain pretty useless as a healthy survivor. You're getting deep wounded regardless, so all you gain is putting slightly more distance in between you and the killer. This is especially frustrating because your skill basically doesn't matter in the chase, so breaking his chain is the most interactive thing you regularly get to do against him.
    • As you mentioned, Deathslinger can reload on the fly without dropping chase. Huntress will sometimes be forced to drop chase in order to restore her power.
    • Deathslinger's skill floor and skill cap are extremely low, while Huntress's are much higher. Some of this has to do with how braindead zoning is, but a lot of it is also how many people have experience playing FPS. I suppose you could argue that the latter doesn't actually make the skill floor low since you do need some experience to be able to aim well, and I'd agree with that, but it's such a common skill among people who play video games that the skill floor may as well be very low. Having a low skill floor isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you have a killer like Deathslinger with extremely limited counterplay in the 1v1, it just means that you will consistently be facing Deathslingers who are good enough to make the match miserable.
    • Deathslinger sneers when M1-ing you and he laughs smugly when he downs you, which triggers me more and more as time goes on. Huntress doesn't. She just throws a tantrum when she gets pallet stunned :D

TL;DR Huntress has a massive amount of counterplay while Deathslinger has very little.

• Tubby_Squirrel
    Tubby_Squirrel Member Posts: 245

You can have fun by quite simply deciding to. Its hard to explain but if you want to have fun, you will. You just have to have that mind set. Get into character, you know? try wacky things when normal tactics arn't working.

• Randomplayer545
    Randomplayer545 Member Posts: 21

no

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Because the way you play against a Deathslinger is stealth, and it's a playstyle not many people enjoy. Not really hard to understand why people hate him.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Same way you hide from Ghostface: Be extremely paranoid. And also look behind you a bunch.

• MikeyBoi
    MikeyBoi Member Posts: 541

Look at all these fake comments. I swear if there was a red box in front of them they’ll try and argue it’s blue....

Deathslinger is miserable to go against. There’s very little counterplay especially at windows/ four lane gyms, T and Ls and unsafe/fair pallets..

• DetailedDetriment

There is no looping against Deathslinger. All there is to a chase with him is hoping he misses his shot, because there is no dodging him. It's just him missing.

• DetailedDetriment
    edited November 2020

There is no Deatgslinger counterplay. You can't mindgame a Slinger. If he misses, he misses. You didn't do anything, he just missed. And your accusation is false, as Nurse, the only killer in the game that can't be looped, is easily one of the most fun killers to verse if the player has good ping.

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,241

I think that you are trying to say is that you can only hold w and waste as much of his time ad it takes for him to catch up. How do you loop a tile efficiently against a deathsligner? Hope they are bad so you'll have an easy time?

• Withered8

How you do change the way you play so you can survive against him? if a deathsligner has half a brain they will shoot you before you even get behind a pallet, and even then if you pull it is shot if u don't you'll either get m1d or they'll shoot you around the side or wherever you try to run.

And if you move to the right or left like u said, he'll just smack you with his m1 or walk up to you. How is that fun? Hoping he misses?

• Withered8

Ur also sounding like the type of survivor who would just run as far as possible and hold w, because if ur not looping what are you doing?

• Withered8

Ur basically saying u want the game on easy mode where there's nothing you can do as survivor but rush gens, which sucks for BOTH sides.

• Withered8

Because deathsligner has an instant aim time and instant ads, meaning as survivor you can't physically react to the shot no matter how good you are.

• Brhoom
    Brhoom Member Posts: 241

Remember guys, users here claimed it was also fun to "guess" when Spirit was using prayer beads.

Unlike Pyramid Head, nerfing his abitly only banalced things whereas nerfing Deathslinger's instant shot will render him unplayable.

It's %100 unfair, but nerfing it isn't the answer and a complete rework is what's needed.

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 778

I find going against Deathslinger quite fun. When you know when the Deathslinger has to go for shots it's quite fun to make him miss. You feel like your in the other player's head. It's a change of pace from the usual, run around a thing on autopilot then drop pallet you get against other killers without antiloop.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,369

They're either talking about double reload add-ons or when a Deathslinger constantly uses ADS in order to gain distance on the survivor. Unlike Huntress, Deathslinger's gun has no wind-up time to shoot or slow down when he puts it down again, his harpoon also shoots fast enough that not even a person with amazing reaction time could react to it. Because of this, the survivor just has to guess whether or not the Deathslinger is actually going to shoot, a lot of Deathslinger players realise this and force them into a lose/lose situation: try to dodge the bullet and take an M1 instead or call the Deathslinger's bluff and get shot anyway.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited November 2020

I picked up Huntress way quicker than Slinger, and from what I've heard from actual Huntress mains Slinger has a much higher skill ceiling.

Not that I disagree with the rest, and I do think his skill cap is extremely low against many teams that just fall for zoning/run in a straight line. Lower than most killers.

Edit: floor, not cap. Too many trick shots, holes and timing issues to ever call his cap "low" even against bad teams. Slinger's one of those few killers that can always do better, much to the detriment of survivors everywhere.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

I'm not a stealthy player though, I just find chases against him fun

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

fun is subjective.

if all you enjoy is running the killer around all game then no, you wont like him.

if you can enjoy the small things (like correctly predicting a shot and dodging it or succesfully avoiding contact with the killer) then yeah, you can have lots of fun.

• notstarboard

Good Huntresses have to figure out how to land hatchets at long range on targets out of their line of sight, including arcing hatchets over obstacles or hitting specific sides of a gen. Then there's the fact that she needs to be prepared to handle a wider variety of survivor counterplay, because survivors have far more options playing against a Huntress than a Deathslinger. Even the fact that he has an iron sight while Huntress has nothing makes aiming as Huntress more difficult.

You make a good point about the trick shots and things, though. I've been hit through the walls of the shack before, for example, and Huntress just isn't capable of shots quite like that.