Censorship - Really?

Options
Lavindathar
Lavindathar Member Posts: 38
edited November 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

So I’m a console player, who’s just got the Series X. Due to a low player base I’ve now had to enable crossplay. No problems.

What is a problem, to me, and I genuinely can’t believe it’s in the game, is that there is zero censorship on PC names. I know it’s Pc as Switch, Xbox and PlayStation have an in built censorship. You can’t make offensive gamertags.

I don’t know how it works on steam PC. I don’t know whether these tags are steam tags, or on pc you can change your user ID however you want.

but how in 2020 does a game not have censorship?

so, as a point of proof, I’ll post a couple of tags I’ve met tonight. Either the forum will auto censor it, or the mods will edit this post and delete them. Which is fine, as it actually proves my point. If they aren’t acceptable here, why are they acceptable in game? And if none of the above happens, then wow, you guys just don’t care.

let me also say I’m not easily offended. You couldn’t if you tried. However, I’m a dad. I’ve got two kids. One who plays with me, one who likes to watch. Or they did. We’ve had to stop that. It’s just not on. Sometimes I play in the living room instead of the games room. That’s also gonna have to stop.

so, some tags I saw tonight - oh ######### no - ######### you ######### me - hexuse me ######### - slutty virgin, and a racist one I won’t actually repost. etc etc. It’s really quite common.

I mean, I just can’t understand the logic. Every other game under the sun censors stuff, yet DbD doesn’t?

edit - so ######### isn’t allowed on here, but is in game. Makes sense.

Comments

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

I mean, you could put a lot of effort into complaining about it, or you could grow some thicker skin and not have any issues like 99% of people do. It's up to you really.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,253
    Options

I mean you could just ignore them or report them on steam and if they get enough reports something will be done. Personally I only ever see a name with anything that should be censored maybe every 100-200 games. Implementing a censorship system specifically for pc names sounds like a lot of work for the devs

• Lavindathar
    edited November 2020
    Options

As mentioned, it’s because I have kids about. Nothing to do with my skin thickness. My first years in my working career were in the Navy. I’ve heard worse, seen worse, than anything any swear words on DbD could ever bother me. Doesn’t mean when I’m sat in my living room my kids need to see racist slurs and swear words, despite the fact they are getting a lot older now.

• Lavindathar
    edited November 2020
    Options

It’s really not. The devs can bypass whatever steams restrictions are, and implement there own in game censorship, regardless of what the steam tag is. If certain letter combinations appear together, censor it. The steam name wouldn’t change, it would just be visually censored. That can all be done in game.

• Wysper
    Wysper Member Posts: 16
    Options

Lavindathar is not wrong.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298
    Options

The game is rated 18+.

Why do you allow your presumably underage kids to watch it, and then complain about certain parts of its content not being suitable for them? How is that NOT your fault?

• Wysper
    edited November 2020
    Options

Well they are playing on an xbox which is on a tv and not a computer monitor which you can conceal a bit better, So your logic of it being their fault for letting their kid walk through the living room is a bit flawed. Not to mention you condoning racially or sexually motivated names does not help your arguement.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

Well, the game is rated mature. If your kids are too young to see offensive usernames they might also be too young for a game like DBD.

• Wysper
    edited November 2020
    Options

Yes but would you like your kid to see those names just because they came out to say goodnight to you? I'm a steam player and couldn't agree more about some of the names I see.

• TripleSteal
    Options

I don't see logical coherence that links the first part of your sentence to the second, which is the conclusion. If it is complicated to restrict your kids' access to inappropriate content that you yourself are viewing, it still IS your fault.

The game description quite literally says that its content is only suitable for persons aged 18 and above.

• Wysper
    edited November 2020
    Options

Your argument is invalid yes the maturity rating covers the game not the kids who feel the need to use the most offensive names possible. The player names are not part of that rating. Look we will not see eye to eye on this so we can agree to disagree and let the devs handle it.

Post edited by Wysper on
  • TripleSteal
    Options

I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to say.

• Wysper
    Options

Meaning the maturity rating covers the content of the game and not the player names which can be racially and sexually offensive to people. What they are asking is for steam or BHvr to add an option to change or block names that people may be offended by. Rust has this option used for streamers but can be used by others as well which changes all name to generic names on your screen.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

You can see that many PC players are very young their names are so childish. If I play killers it's hard not to play a bit "toxic" against these players.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    edited November 2020
    Options

That's all well and good, but I'm not understanding how we suddenly need to think of the children because of some offensive usernames when this is a game about brutally murdering people. Might as well tell BHVR to remove all blood, replace the meat hooks with harnesses, replace the killer's weapon with a magic wand, etc. just in case a kid walks through while you're playing.

I would understand a game intended for all ages to censor potentially offensive names. I also would be fine with BHVR adding a feature to do this. It certainly wouldn't be the first game to do that. I haven't played Rust, but I know Dark Souls 3 is extremely strict with this. My buddy named himself Crumpet and that was censored because it contains the word "rump". Not kidding.

I just don't think this needs to be a priority in a game that is exclusively intended for adult audiences. If you're too young to see usernames like Hex: Devour Ass, you're probably also too young to see people repeatedly getting hacked with a chainsaw and impaled on meat hooks.

• bjorksnas
    Options

yes aka put a lot of effort into it to censor names that don't appear often enough to worry about

• Wysper
    Options

Well again the in game content is covered by the rating and most kids have seen slasher movies so animated stuff is not the issue so your argument does not pertain to the issue the op brought up. Noone is saying it has to be top priority either they were just bringing it out in the open so if the mods read this and pass it along to the devs they can do with it as they will. And having Ass you your name is not what they mean its name like "Stomping*Nword*s", or "Fing your moms P**" that are unnecessary. So rather then jumping on here and arguing the point try to actually see it from their point of view before commenting. Going as far as changing in game blood and stuff like that is just over the top arguing and takes the post off point. OP is not asking to change game mechanics or gore settings just steam usernames being some juvenile and inappropriate. So please try to be constructive and not repeat the same discussion Triple and I already had. Bring something new to the table or just read and move on.

• Lavindathar
    edited November 2020
    Options

Looks like we have a few of those sad individuals who like to use these names as well. I’m guessing it’s mostly teenagers thinking they are cool. But hey ho.

Now, not even getting into the game rating. In my country, some of the names I’ve seen are actually an arrest-able offence. Doesn’t matter if your 14 years old or 30 years old, no one needs to, or wants to see racist names.

Every game has violence now. My kid plays Lego games. He’s blowing up other people. It’s animated, and cartoony sure, but the theme is there. My kids are mature enough to walk by and see me playing. Some of the names go way past this line.

the game rating just excludes DbD from any liability from player names etc. They also give little disclaimers in their toc like every other game. However, every other game (call of duty etc) censors these, as well as offensive logos etc. In fact, 99% of games do.

bottom line is, your defending something without a leg to stand on. There is no reason why we shouldn’t have them censored. Just because I’m not offended, or you’re not, somewhere, someone will be. My wife, was pretty disgusted by the names too, she’s over 18, she passes the mature rating.

stop trying to defend he indefensible just to be some internet troll.

• Lavindathar
    Options

A lot of effort? Guess you have zero coding experience. The longest time would be making up the censored list. Luckily, as every forum and game etc has one, that could be copied in 10 seconds.

and I’ve literally just swapped to crossplay. I saw 10 names at least on my first night. From my one night of experience, it was very very often.

• Wysper
    edited November 2020
    Options

I get what you are saying but i was trying to be more diplomatic because calling them internet trolls is just gonna escalate things. Name calling is not necessary, it will just dilute your point.

• bjorksnas
    Options

writing a list is copy paste, making a censorship system to implement that list on ingame names, not easy

• Wysper
    Options

you only need a system that either removes the names or changes all in game names on your game is not that difficult rather then doing a filter system. It would be an in game setting you could turn on or off.

• Lavindathar
    edited November 2020
    Options

Do the devs ever even acknowledge feedback on here?

just curious.

Post edited by Lavindathar on
  • lazerlight
    lazerlight Member Posts: 353
    Options

even with censorship people will just replace letters with symbols and numbers. The devs haven't implemented options for colorblind players even tho people have been asking that for years, you think they're gonna do something about steam names?

this is a rated M game. You are already "breaking" the "game rating laws" (lol) by letting your kids see/play this game. You don't get to blame a game for it's lack of username censorship. Best you can do is report the players that use offensive names, specially the racist / homophobic ones.

• IrishRedCap
    IrishRedCap Member Posts: 153
    Options

Simple fix because both sides of the debate here are right and wrong.

It's the parents responsibility to not allow their children to see offensive things. Undoubtedly.

There are a lot of kids who play that purposefully use edgy names to get a rise out of people like this and sorry but its the internet its going to happen. If they have any social media or access to a phone I can 100% assure you they've seen worse.

Simple solution: BHVR add an option to remove user names in settings. Appease everyone and this pointless argument ends.