Dealing with Douchbaggery

So I'm playing Pyramid head, wait like 10 minutes to actually get some people. I get in and there's two claudettes and a Nea and they decide to come after me with flashlights. Positioning themselves so there's not much I can do any way I turn I get flashlighted. I'm an average player, not some DbD diety or anything like this. The fact that these dickheads decide to take it upon themselves to ruin my game really pisses me off.

My own personal feelings is when douchey players come for me no amount of me playing decent against them is going to matter. Even disconning isn't going to do anything because they're still going to do what they're going to do. So I move to a wall, tilt my head up so flashlights don't bug me and refuse to play. I'm not going to play the 'lets gang up on the killer' game. If you're going to make my game miserable then I'm going to make yours as boring as possible.

Even then, the three of them come after me and start dancing around like morons, clicking their flashlights and jumping in and out of lockers and running across the barbed wire to be irritating and spam me with explosions and notifications.

We're not on the playground in 5th grade so I can't actually punch these ######### so that's about all I is refuse to play along. I'm curious as to what you guys do when people are dead set on ruining the game with antics like this. How do YOU handle these situations.

and for reference I'm looking for "you should grow a thicker skin" or "suck it up" other such bullshit you can keep that to yourself. And no I'm not taking it personally. I just find it aggravating. I paid to play this game just like everyone else and ######### like this really needs to stop.

Comments

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

Just think of it as 3 people not on generators and slug them/bait pickups, and where possible look at walls to pick up. These are the squads I love going against because they're inefficient as hell, just going for saves and trying to get better at them.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,140

I [BAD WORD]ing love Lightborn. I don't play for kills, so I leave it on at all times. It's wonderful. Woe to the survivor who finds a flashlight in a chest and thinks no killer is stupid enough to equip Lightborn when there were no flashlights in the lobby. Ha! I showed them.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

I usually only equip it when i see flashlights in the lobby (more than one). cause, hey, if they found it within the match, that's fair.

• TragicSolitude

I've had too much trouble with getting blinded despite immediately looking away. My screen shouldn't continue getting more obscured and then go full-blinded after I've looked away. Ever since dedicated servers, there always seems to be some problem or other with flashlights; I have loved the buff to Lightborn since day one. (I had no problem countering them before dedicated servers, so something definitely changed.)

Anyway, when I can switch mid-match from throwing bottles to going bing-bong to swinging wild with a chainsaw, then we'll talk about chests being fair lol. (I'm just kidding, I love running chest builds as a survivor; looting is fun.)

• MeltingPenguins

I mean, unless you run that one ace perk you will only get plain flashlights if any. so i'd say it's decently fair.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    edited November 2020

Just bring franklin's, lightborn or overwhelming presence if flashlight bother you too much. Tbh though nothing wastes survivors time like flashlights 99% of the time. Also if they are running around you all the time just slug them

• JesseJH28
    JesseJH28 Member Posts: 483

Yessss the lightborn/agitation combo has given me so much value. Pick someone up in a position where you should easily bait someone into going for a save and turn your camera acting like you don't have lightborn. With agitation you might be able to run them down while carrying another survivor, and that's gotta be the most satisfying thing I've ever done in this game lol

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

It 100% sounds like you're taking it personally.

People click flashlights and teabag to get a response from the killer. No one can control how you react to these things except for you. If you personally feel like there is no way for you to counter people with flashlights, why do you let it bother you? I genuinely think you should play another game if this is such a problem, and I'm not trying to be nasty here. If the game isn't fun, don't play

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871

Killer's should just be able to surrender without a penalty. It's more stressful to play Killer, and from my experience when Killer's are dcing, the survivors deserve it.

• PanicSquid
    PanicSquid Member Posts: 655

If they're blinding you, look up or look down.

I personally bring Franklin's Demise to deal with Flashlight teams.

• eiredrake
    eiredrake Member Posts: 98

I had to deal with bullies a lot when I was a kid. You know how I dealt with them? I beat the ######### out of them. In this game I have to tolerate it which pisses me off to no end. So yes I take it personally when someone takes it upon themselves to ruin my game. I am asking for constructive ways to deal with said bullies in a way that does not involve me quitting playing the game, which I otherwise have fun with. Your response is the exact opposite of what I asked for so your opinion has been disregarded.

• eiredrake

Yeah that's pretty much what I'd been doing. I'll look into Franklin's Demise though. Combined with Lightborn it sounds like it might be a good combo.

• eiredrake

pretty much what I was asking for. The recipe to make chicken salad.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

Look up or down turn around avoid the light don't follow it.

I would of attempted to kill them before I gave up and stared at a wall/exit gate.

• Mugombo
    Mugombo Member Posts: 509

If survivors gen rush it's ruining the game for killers.

If the survivors mess around with the killer and blind with flashlights, it's ruining the game for killers.

What would you like survivors to do to?

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Bully Squad? Butcher them. Problem solved. I love running into these guys. I have some wonderful videos of it. The best revenge is to just slaughter them all in the most humiliating way possible, record it, and post it later.

• SeeAndWait
    SeeAndWait Member Posts: 94

if they flash clicking and chase you around, forget about them and try to find other players trying to do a gen. franklin demise is good if you have it. make sure to torment players before putting them into dying states.

• SeeAndWait
    SeeAndWait Member Posts: 94

Unless for fun, I suggest picking one of them. franklin's demise can work against other items, putting survivors in disadvantage.

• The_C12H15NO2
    The_C12H15NO2 Member Posts: 335

Totally agree with other comments on here. If i see multiple flashlights i will bring franklins or lightborn. If they are obviously trying to get me to chase them, I'll pretend to start chasing then veer off towards someone else. It's kinda fun to see that player waste 5-10 seconds before they realize i'm not chasing them.

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920
  • JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

Lightborn is my new go to killer perk. Had a game as Billy doing the Enduring Tome challenge while wearing the new cosmetic and legitimately had a Survivor tell me the outfit is bugged because they couldn't blind me lol.

I've also had Survivors try to berate me for running Lightborn because "it's just one flashlight, it's not that hard to dodge" to which I replied I hate the blindness effect on the screen as it actually hurts my eyes and I got a couple free hits and a free down out of it.

• TragicSolitude

These mindsets are adorable. And confusing. Killers get berated for using perks that are too strong. But apparently you also get berated for running a perk that they seem to consider weak. If flashlights are so easy to dodge, why try to use flashlights at all? If Lightborn is so unnecessary, shouldn't they be happy the killer wasted a perkslot with it?

Yeah, I hate the blindness screen, it's not pleasant. Apparently before I started playing it used to be worse, just a bright white screen, and damn that musta been hell on killers. But I think survivors who laugh at killers who don't want to be stunned or blinded don't realize that the game was designed on purpose to make killers feel like they fudged up and are being punished when those things happen, and they feel unpleasant, like physically so.

• JHondo

The funny part is, I never feel like I wasted a perk slot because despite it not working the first time they continue to try to blind lol

• TragicSolitude

Oh man, I love when they do that. Every time someone with a flashlight throws down a pallet I'm just like, "Please try to blind me, please try to blind me." It's amazing the ones who will attempt it over and over again.

If the killer's running Lightborn, survivors don't get a "Killer Blinded" BP score event, right? (I wouldn't know because I'm terrible with flashlights as a survivor. I can't aim straight with a controller to save my life.)

• JHondo

I have no idea if they get a blinding score as I too am awful at aiming flashies.

• MeltingPenguins

A lot of survivor mains seem to have one single tactic that they get cranky over if it doesn't succeed. (this is why they loathe killers who shake it up by default, to the point of trying to get said killers removed from the game)

• Jennguinofdoom
    Jennguinofdoom Member Posts: 3

I was just asking myself why it is survivors that get downed three times and hooked twice think they're good enough to teabag at the exit gate? No, Nea, you weren't dead on hook cause I slugged you. Not cause you're good.

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651

Firstly, if survivors are bullying for sure, play the best that you can. Often times they'll get cocky and kill themselves- you just need to capitalize on their mistakes. A good perk to run that really helps mitigate bullying is Agitation. It mitigates sabotage, body blocking, and is just useful in general for setting up the map in a way that helps you.

Specific tips for dealing with bullies that I can think of...

1. Fake picking up a downed survivor if you suspect there are some flashlights nearby. Just stand still over their body for a second and look down. This also works if they crawl to a pallet and you're afraid of getting stunned. It'll bait the greedy survivor out to stun you, and you can get a free hit on them. If they stick around to see if you fake again, they go down.

2. If you're carrying someone and it looks like someone is going to sabotage on you, drop the survivor and chase the saboteur. They're usually mispositioning themselves and will go down while the rest of the team picks up the other down.

3.Don't chase the clicky clicky or taunting survivors. Don't go service the noise notification spam unless you know you can get a down on it. Every second some clicky clicky flashlight Claudette spends following you around, or spamming noise, they're not on gens. If they're not on gens, you kill them eventually.

4. Face a wall when you pick up a survivor.

5. Don't feel like you have to hook everyone. If you have one on hook and one slugged in the same place, just set up your tent and camp. The survivors can't afford to lose 2 at once - there is no advantage for you to leave and give them a second chance. You can turn the game on its head and become the bully if you down 2 people on an unhook attempt, and force the last person to come straight to you.

6. Take the free hits. Bully squads are less threatening if they're all injured, and will often abuse their healthy state to bully you. Maybe they run in front of you while you're carrying a survivor? Take the free hit.

7. You can fake out Head-Ons by wiggling outside the range of the locker. A lot of times that perk is so inconsistent the survivor will bust out and give you a free hit.

8. Don't pick up the DS user, Don't let the unhooked person block you with Borrowed Time, stick near your slugs to down them if Unbreakable will lose you the game. Basic awareness of the perks survivors use helps mitigate bullying.

If things really go badly, or if you get a bad map spawn (Wretched Shop cringe), just take a break. The game ain't balanced. It ain't your fault.