One Method to Alleviate Face Camp Distress

BubbleWrap
BubbleWrap Member Posts: 22
edited November 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

I don't feel like face camping will ever go away unless a mechanic in the game actively discourages it. A paused sacrifice timer for the survivor, some penalty on the killer (not their rank, but something that affects gameplay), a bonus to objective progress to other survivors (aside from the genrushing they can already do), etc. (Edit: What I intend with this post is not to say survivors need a buff when someone is hooked, and some people interpreted this post as such. I'll leave the original comment in, but it was meant merely to show examples of discouraging camping through gameplay, as opposed to my preferred solution which I discuss below.) So, unless something like that happens, I've come up with some food for thought:

Similar to how Survivors get credit for gen progress while they lead the killer in a chase, I was wondering how it'd be for survivors to get (at least partial) credit for gen progress while they're on the hook - Or perhaps points similar to the distraction points survivors can get if the killer is within a certain radius. This way, even if the survivor gets face camped from first hook, they would be a bit less likely to de-rank for a situation that was completely out of their control. Not impossible, but less likely. If the optimal strategy here would be for their teammates to just do gens and escape, they'd still be upset to have just been on hook and die, but now they wouldn't feel as burned for it.

What do you guys think? Good or bad? What changes would you make to this if you could choose how it were implemented?

Post edited by BubbleWrap on

Comments

• BiscuitSnackr
    BiscuitSnackr Member Posts: 1

While I get mad at being tunneled I try not to leave and waste as much time as possible on the hook, leaving just makes it easier for a camping killer to move to the next player

• Hyd
    Hyd Member Posts: 379

I've camped (as a new player, less than a month in this game) because it felt like my only option when I didn't understand the game, the maps, strategies, etc, very well at all. I grew frustrated with hooking players only to have a survivor speed by and unhook them, leading me on another annoying loop chase. So yeah, I'd stick around until they died.

Now after more time in the game, more perks, and more experience in general, I'm happy to roam. Camping got boring pretty quickly, so I moved on from it. Since then, as a survivor, I've can only count 1 game I had someone actual facecamp me on a hook, and it was also a new player. So, I wonder, is facecamping really that much of a common occurrence? Or just something new players feel forced to do because they have no perks, ability or know-how to counter survivors?

If it's really a common thing, then yeah I'm not against some sort of penalty - pausing or slowing the sacrifice timer sounds like a reasonable idea to me - but if it's just something new players feel forced into doing, then the devs need to work on something to help new players out instead and push them towards learning how to play differently.

At the end of the day, I don't really care. Camping is a crappy strategy but, I feel it is pretty easily countered by survivors.

• Felnex
    Felnex Member Posts: 334
    1. Make struggling on the hook automatic (or more fun, like hitting skillchecks for bloodpoints) instead of button mashing.
    2. Pause sacrifice timer when killer is face camping during the second phase (missing skillchecks can still regress timer, so that game can't be held hostage)
    3. Drastically reduce BP gain for hardcore facecamping. I'm talking like 1000 BP/second decay if you're within 15 meters of the hook for more than 30 seconds.
    4. Drastically increase BP gain for survivors struggling on the hook, to incentivize staying in the game and not suiciding on hook.
  • HeckaYeah
    HeckaYeah Member Posts: 187

As mid-rank survivor, I can say that yes, it is a big issue and not just amount the lesser ranks. Camping and slugging are both HUGE issues in the game. I don't go more than two games, easy, where I'm not either camped or slugged. It's obnoxious. This is why I cut my playtime to only a few nights a week ( 2/3) because I was getting so frustrated. It would be nice for some bonus...

• Felnex

I just got facecamped because I led the killer on a long chase. I NEVER BM or teabag, or even loiter around the exit gate (Unless it's to give the Killer free BP with one last hit) so I'm not toxic. But you still get facecamped in this game for any reason, it's not fair.

• SeeAndWait
    SeeAndWait Member Posts: 94

rewards are better than punishment.

• VSchmitt
    VSchmitt Member Posts: 571

So, what the killer should do when you get 1 or more teammates close to the hook? Go away and let them save in your face? Drop any chases that go near the hook. This would me mega exploitable.

• Felnex

Attack the person going for the unhook of course and nothing I suggested earlier conflicts with that

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

I think survivors should get a multiplicative distraction bonus for every second they are on hook within the killer's terror radius. Say it starts out at 100/s, then ramps up to 200/s all the way up to 5k or so along with the struggle timer.

Survivors need better BP gain and I believe in rewarding more than penalizing.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967

Camping, tunnelling, and slugging is not the issue. The issue is the mentality of entitled survivors.

This game is not always fun, most of the time it's frustrating.

Hardcore guilt tripping killers on forums is toxic.

Just leave killers alone.

The real issue is, survivors think they deserve 3 hooks per game. Than it's 'fair'. Otherwise it's toxic.

Too many ppl play dbd w their emotions. And get their feelings hurt. And that right there, is the real problem.

• Felnex
    edited November 2020

You realize you're talking about a game, right? I don't think it's right to say "The game is not always fun, most of the time it's frustrating". That really makes me question where you're coming from.

"Am I having fun" is a fair question. Playing video games emotionless just sounds like hardcore gamer stuff that I honestly don't think many people want to relate to.

Mitigating the necessity for boring things like slugging/camping/tunneling would be great for the game overall.

• BubbleWrap

I'm doing no such thing, trying to "hardcore guilt trip killers". It's no secret that being face camped completely takes the fun out of the game. Quite literally, the survivor has 0 chance to PLAY the game. If you feel guilty when people discuss ways to make face camping less horrible for the survivor, i.e. credit for objectives their teammates get while hooked (similar to how it works for chases, or maybe something like the distraction / protection points survivors can get), that is on nobody but you.

At no point in this post did I ever shame killer players for camping. If I die on second hook because my teammates were well pressured, that's just how it is. If I die on first hook because I was hooked last or something, that still sucks but okay. If I lead the killer on a decent chase and get face camped to death from that from the very start of the game, that killer prevented me literally from playing the game past that first chase. To make that process less frustrating, for myself and for anyone who's ever been in that situation (whether the killer is acting "malicious" or not), I want to discuss changes that could be made, not necessarily that impact gameplay, but that punish the survivor less for a situation completely beyond their control.

• noctis129

U do realize dbd is a frustrating game right?

It is also a PvP game. Which means 1 of the goal is to make ur opponents life miserable as possible.

Which means if ur a emotional person. U will get worked up.

And getting worked up over a video game is stupid.

U cannot make someone play a certain way for ur own selfish enjoyment. U do u.

• JustZed32
    JustZed32 Member Posts: 213

it was in early stages of game, i've only heard about it, nothing more.

When killer was close to hook progression stopped. it was a right, good decision. However, last season i think i never encountered any campers(rank 5).

thoughts?

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

It was an objectively and demonstrably bad mechanic. How do I know this? Because it failed to fix the issue. In fact, camping became worse as a result because survivors abused it.

• noctis129

"If I lead the killer on a decent chase and get face camped to death from that from the very start of the game, that killer prevented me literally from playing the game past that first chase."

Yea. That's how it is.... U totally deserve to die. U might of been having fun, imagine the frustration the killer went thru. Why do u gotta piss the killer off like that? Just stand still and get hit. If not, ur gonna get facecamped. Why are u so entitled?

"Quite literally, the survivor has 0 chance to PLAY the game."

If u are in the game, even if ur slugged, on hook, working on gens, running around for no reason, u are still "playing" the game. There is no such thing as ZERO chance of playing the game.

"not necessarily that impact gameplay, but that punish the survivor less for a situation completely beyond their control."

By ur definition of being punished. Everyone who plays dbd is being punished. Whatever ur trying to do here, will impact gameplay. U say ur not, but ur goal is to change the way, someone else plays the game.

Better way to look at it is, nobody is being punished. Ppl are just playing the game. There is no fair or unfair. There is no, I am not playing becuz I'm slugged, or being facecamped.

The game doesn't owe u anything. Game does not guarantee to give u "fun". And it will never be "fun" for everyone.

Death, is not an escape ....

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481
    edited November 2020

I think getting clear rewards that show the survivor that enduring being camped may be a good way to make being camped feel better and in most games would be fantastic game design to make something that seems negative convey that something good is happening...

...Which is why I don't think it should happen...

Part of the psychology of the hook, why it exists the way it does, is to cause player distress. Positive distress mind. It is supposed to be an ultra-negative experience that makes you want to go above and beyond to avoid it, making mistakes or playing more defensively than you might otherwise. Likewise, its meant to put mental pressure on the survivors, making them want to rescue even if they know its a bad idea.

Sorta like how the killer doesn't get points for bad chases where the survivor successfully wastes a lot of time by goading them on a chase through a gym with lots of resources, survivors shouldn't be rewarded for falling for the psychological battle of camping.

Camping is a purely survivor sided problem. In theory, survivors who want to play optimally will just do gens during the camp, win, and have 3 survivors pip, 1 depip, and the killer depip. If your all equally good survivors, whoever gets camped will be 'random' and because 3 people pip and 1 person doesn't, you will all pip extremely fast using this method.

But you don't WANT to do that. You WANT to rescue. And the killer knows this. The entire reason the hook is a hook is to let the killer mess with you emotionally. If they didn't want being hooked to feel bad, to affect behavior, they would just have everyone hook you like Pyramid Head, which virtually guarantees you get free and that he can't really camp you... but they didn't. Good killers will get reads on your team, determine if how badly you want that unhook, and how coy they need to be about camping it for you to make a mistake. Bad killers just mindlessly facecamp... but they also just mindlessly run from the hook as well. It isn't about defending the hook from them, its about good chase conversion: The easiest and most efficient way to start a chase is the survivor coming to you, ideally eating a hit to rescue, in an area devoid of resources where you just won a chase. As a survivor, you CANNOT be mad at the killer for having a theory of your mind and using it to win, they aren't your friend and unlike something like a Mori they also can't really control this interaction: if you play into camping, your also creating a scenario where the killer NOT camping is a horribly bad choice that actively hurts themselves extremely badly. A killer not converting a hook to another chase cleanly if the unhook is swift is an absolute nightmare scenario that often loses games entirely at high ranks. They cannot AFFORD to pretend to not notice your crappy sloppy rescue you made because you got emotional.

Camping is actually an intentional mechanic. And its intended to mess with you. The system obfuscating both how camping helps your team AND how it can hurt the killer (Because the hook ALSO is messing with the killer's mind and may trap them into a defensive loss adverse posture they shouldn't have, so it not clearly showing the killer things like the 'camp circle' or the fact that chases near the hook don't count as camping, or making the hook timer change color to show its slower) is an intentional, and brilliant, bit of design.

That said showing people that trying to unhook themselves is VERY BAD I feel is important, as is showing people that unsafe rescues are bad. I don't think they did a good enough job with self unhooking, and unsafe rescues don't really have good negative feedback at all. There is a lot of room to add these elements while keeping the hook psychologically distressing, and playing into how it (rightfully) feels cruel.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

While I think the natural counter to face camping is to just do gens and ignore the person on the hook, thus making the killer get very little value (and hopefully teaching them naturally that it's not an effective strategy), this sadly doesn't seem to be viable as many survivor players are just as bad as the face camper, and will gleefully rush in to their own death, falling for the most basic of altruism traps.

So I was thinking of making something akin to a weaker version of BBQ basekit. Not the BP gains, but maybe a few seconds of killer instinct instead of auras of everyone a certain distance from the hook, something to lead killers away from the hook and to something more interesting. Although I guess since killer instinct can trigger through lockers, this might actually be more powerful than BBQ, so... maybe just like a split second of aura or something after the killer is back in control so they don't miss it?

I know a lot of people don't think BBQ helps killers camp less, but in reality a lack of information most likely contributes significantly to camping. If you have no idea where to go, do you just wander and hope someone's at the first gen you walk up? Remember, campers tend to be at yellow/green and maybe purple ranks, it gets more rare (though is absolutely still not unheard of, obviously) at red ranks. So I'd say a large number of those killers simply don't have access to good information perks, or know how to use them.

It's a tough problem to solve. You don't want to heavily punish camping, because there are plenty of scenarios where it's by far the only smart play, but beyond that if you punish the killer for camping rather than reward them for seeking out more survivors, you're opening it up to abuse, where survivors might find the optimal strategy to all go hang around near the hook so the killer doesn't leave or some nonsense like that.

• JustZed32
    JustZed32 Member Posts: 213

how can you abuse it? like just looping around a hook? sounds bruh but still...

• HeckaYeah

At that point, if they can't down, they should break chase and go find another survivor. I have personally lead killers on long loop chases that have allowed the others to complete several gens.

• HeckaYeah

That's why you go find another survivor... if your in a long chase you either need to outsmart them or find someone else. Otherwise your just racking up BPs and letting gens be rushed (if survivors know what they're doing).

• noctis129
  • CustomerService
    CustomerService Member Posts: 479

Now that you mentioned some kind of buff for the survivors, it would be interesting if there was a punishing mechanic as such :

If you remain within X meters of the hooked survivor after X seconds, survivors gain a "bloodlust" that make them repair/heal faster. So for example if you just hook camp somebody, after 20 seconds survivors would repair a 20% faster.

This has zero negative effects if you don't camp.

• Felnex

I feel like this is the wrong attitude to have about PvP. PvP is not about making your opponents life miserable: That's toxic.

The inherent appeal of PvP is about competition. If you win a competition, you're better than someone else (Although it's debateable if this applies to DBD, due to how intentionally out of control victory/defeat can be for you, especially as a Survivor) which makes you feel great. Losing feels humiliating, but due to the forgiving nature of video games you can always try again to chase the rush of victory.

"Making ur opponents life miserable" does not come into that at all. That's just pure toxicity and I think you should clarify yourself, because right now you sound like you go into games only to troll people??

• BubbleWrap

I really like your discussion and the points you bring up! However, as a brief response to what you say here, my intention is not to make being camped feel good or anything like that. I was just brainstorming ideas that, if implemented, would make being camped less frustrating for the person getting camped, and to make the teammates feel less guilty for having to abandon them. Of course, your opinion would seem to still be that this is a bad idea even with a full understanding, and I think I understand! You want to maintain the negative feeling being stuck on hook provides, and I think that's a good opinion to have. I feel as though my idea could also encourage ignoring rescues in a way and just genrushing, which would also be a bad outcome. However, despite that, face camping is undeniably one of the most frustrating aspects of this game, and I would still like to see some sort of change that doesn't impact the gameplay, but alleviates that frustration.

• BubbleWrap

Allow me to clear up a few misconceptions and inconsistencies you seem to have if you'd like to continue offering discussion in this thread. It seems you are holding a double standard to the experience of the survivors as opposed to the experience of the killer. It may be frustrating to be led on a chase by an efficient survivor, but there is also room for counter play and decision making to be had for the killer here. Regardless of whether that counter play is performed well or poorly, it exists and is part of the games dynamics. Even if your argument is that both sides being frustrated all the time is fair and how the game should be played, (which doesn't seem to be the stance you're taking, in favor of killers), for a survivor on the hook being face camped, the only decision is whether or not they feel like buying their team that extra minute while they mash space. I play both survivor and killer at red ranks, and I can assure that there is much more going on in an active chase than there is for a survivor on hook. Even long chases can be interesting and fun for a killer, even if you end up being upset with a poor outcome - you can get some hits, trigger some perks, maybe disrupt some gens, etc. In that instance, both of you got to participate and enjoy some part of it. The survivor got to enjoy trying to escape, buying time for their team, perhaps hiding, and the killer got to enjoy playing mind games, pressuring that survivor(s) off of objectives, and actually downing them. Being stuck on hook for two minutes while a killer stares at you is none of that.

And yes, while being on hook is technically playing Dead by Daylight, what I mean to say is that the actual active part of Dead by Daylight, where one has to find objectives, decide if it's safe / worth working on them, trying to run from / hide from the killer or save a teammate, is completely taken away from someone when being face camped. It makes no difference whether they are even at their controls or not until they get to phase two, which almost seems to be there just to make sure they ARE at their controls. When someone is being face camped, they have no chance to participate in the active parts of Dead by Daylight.

I also don't understand what you mean about my definition of being punished. When I say the survivor is punished, I mean that they're playing in a ranked queue and forced to lose that rank simply because the killer decided they wanted to stay right next to the hook, instead of focusing on their other objectives. Giving that hooked, camped survivor credit for generators that get done while they're forced to stay on hook, and distraction points if the killer is staying close to them does not in any way discourage the killer from camping them or force any sort of decision from the killer. It merely makes it so that the survivor who gets camped doesn't have to get penalized for a situation they have 0 influence or control over - It is now up to how they play as a team. For a game that queues on a ranked system, especially for the side that relies on teamwork to succeed, I feel that a change such as this would be highly beneficial.

I intentionally left emotions out of this post and argued my opinion using in game dynamics and mechanics, since that seems to be what you want to hear. Camping is a strong mechanic, and face camping can practically guarantee a kill. If the survivors play well as a team and get objectives done while a killer is guarding a hook, it is my opinion that the survivor who was sacrificed so that those objectives could get done at all should receive credit for that. In my original post, I mentioned that face camping will continue to occur unless a game mechanic punishes it. I was using this to justify why I think being face camped should be less punishing for the survivor, not why the killer needs to be punished.

• BubbleWrap

You raise a good point! My initial post was worded poorly. What I would like to see is not a mechanic to punish camping, such a mechanic would likely be exploitable, take too much time to implement, and would add fuel to the fire that is the discussion of if the game is balanced and how. Instead, what I would like to see is for the survivor who is forced to stay on the hook as a result of camping to receive (at least partial) credit for objectives done while they're hooked, and what would equate to distraction points if the killer remains within a certain proximity. This has no impact on the game play, it just makes it so that if the team is efficient as the killer decides to camp, the survivor may still be upset that they died (and there's no preventing that), they receive credit for the time they bought for their team, and for the objectives they gave them the time to complete. The only negative I could see to this is that it could encourage, in a way, for solo queueing survivors to neglect unhooking their teammates. I don't think this would be the case, however, as unhooking to have more people alive to heal and do objectives is still more efficient. If anything, I believe it would make watching 3 strangers do gens while you need to be unhooked (even while you're not being camped) less frustrating, because you'd know you're at least getting some credit for it.

• dezzmont
    edited November 2020

Anything that punishes the killer for camping is highly abusable by having one survivor 'force' the killer to camp and is acutally a great example of reasonable choices leading to horrible perverse incentives: suddenly your extremely rewarded not even just for an overt hook rescue, but for overtly threatening it without doing it in a way that gives the survivors who are repairing an 40% speed buff overall to the gen repair rate. This would be crusbing and break the entire game.

The punishment for 'overcamping' is already as high as it can be. The devs have tested multople hook proximity penalties and going further than the slowed death rate and chase points penalty just gives survivors way too much power and turns hooks into arguably a bad thing for the killer. Any further and the optimal way to kill would be omni slug.

We seriously are at the point where survivors just have to deal with the killer having power over them when they are hooked. The hook, low key, is already a situation where survivors have more power than the killer, but this 'emotional magic trick' conceals it. The killer needs pretty broad discursion to defend the hook, and a core concept of DBD is that the killer is able to prevent objectives from being done in a area around them, but lacks map coverage. Any mechanic that prevents the killer from defending an objective efficiently despite being there is a bad one, which is why pretty much every 'power dynamic reversal' mechanic that allows survivors to act extremely crassly in front of the killer has been nerfed.

When they test things of this nature, the game just falls apart. This is why killer mains can be so salty. It isn't actually super unbalanced against them at the moment but killer gameplay is RIDICULOUSLY tempo based and even threats to their ability to pace the game's tempo are pretty... not well received.

And, finally, your super not obligated to get off the hook after getting hooked. If you were, again, we would be using Pyramid Head's cages for all hooks. A huge part of the hook's design is you lose all power over the game and thus 'tactically getting hooked' to do something like save a critical pallet or after a long chase where you eventually run out of resources is important. Every hook needs the potential to be your last one to make hiding and subtle play a valid playstyle and to prevent 'I am just gunna loop a M1 killer for 10 minutes' from being a guaranteed pip. And these 'emotional mechanisms' being a bit obscure is important because survivors and killers alike should not be acting 100% rationally around the hook.

You want (need even) the best players to sometimes mess up interactions, and the current hook does this for both sides of the game. If an interaction is too safe it kinda becomes a rote mechanical interaction that isn't determined by player skill at all, which kinda sucks. But hooks are an amazing skill testing tool and literally are one of the mechanics in DBD. They are a great place to start learning about game design because there is so much right about them. They are a example of how a negative event in the game feeling bad can be vital to how a game functions, they are a good example of how to make good players feel amazing with how satisfying a slick hook rescue is for survivors, the relationship between the free survivors, killer, and hooked survivor are SUPREMELY interesting, ect. Hooks are probably the last thing that needs to be messed with in DBD.

Its sorta like how once vacuum pallets were added, because people didn't like how pallets didn't protect them, suddenly all the emotion in the rest of the game died because it was so safe to start a chase late you weren't on edge or anticipating your next chase at all because it was too trivial to 'reset' chases, so survivor gameplay became 'M1 at gen' simulator. Sometimes an aspect of the game feeling bad and being something you avoid actually makes the rest of the game better. Like how getting cornered in a fighting game sucks but is extremely important to give stakes to positioning overall and its actually extremely fair that some characters can take out half your health if your in the corner even if it doesn't feel great in the moment. Removing the negativity of being hooked flattens out the spikes of positive emotion in the game of getting out of a nasty chase or the killer walking right by you when you hide because it makes the thing your excited to avoid sorta... not matter, and ultimately DBD is, low key, not a great game without the emotional intensity aspect, which isn't a dig against it so much as a complement for how much excitement they managed to wring out of relatively simple and uninteresting mechanics like 'running around in circles' simply by framing it well and making the consequences of actions matter a lot.

Post edited by dezzmont on
  • noctis129

Ur taking as if i'm trying to make ur real life miserable as possible. That is not it.

In PvP games, ur suppose to make ur opponent life difficult. In a video game setting.

For example I play StarCraft, in StarCraft, u muta harrass, kill ur opponents workers w banelings, ling rush, and make their life miserable. Slow them down, and go in for the kill.

In DBD, u kick gens, u apply pressure, u slug, hook, hit, make their life as miserable as possible. Keep them bleeding and injured and make sure they don't heal.

Use perks to disorient them, capitalize on their mistakes. Prevent them from escaping thru the hatch.

It's sounds awful right? What a miserable game the devs made, they should make the game where trolls and toxic players are all banned. If someone kills someone, report them!

Oh btw, u should totally play this game called flower ....

• Felnex
    edited November 2020

That's not what the word "miserable" means. Challenging someone is not the same as making them miserable. You are misusing the word and that's why I'm confused by you.

Miserable: (of a person) wretchedly unhappy or uncomfortable.

If you feel that word is accurately describing your emotions when you're stymied/challenged in DBD, that's probably not what most people feel. "Making their game difficult" as you said is a much better way of putting it. "Making their life miserable" means you're being toxic.

• dezzmont

Actually a huge part of good PVP gameplay is a struggle to engineer gamestates that benefit you and are bad for your opponent, both in order to draw the game to a close, and to try to make opponents make mistakes. This often manifests as gamestates that are uncomfortable.

A classic example in fighting games is being cornered vs a 50/50 combo: That is a super uncomfortable position and your opponent engineered it specifically to try to get you to make a mistake due to the pressure they are applying. In the starcraft example early raids are generally done to create discomfort and force people to invest in early fighting units they might not want to use.

Flashbangs and Decoys in shooters encourage players to move in ways they shouldn't because being blinded is disoriented, and chokepoint design is a KEY feature of shooters based around how unsettling it is to rush out of cover despite the fact you have to do so in order to avoid creating a funnel situation where your opponents can just shoot in one direction.

Discomfort, or 'grief mechanics' are an absolutely vital part of game design, and attempting to 'sand the edges' off your game is a great way to make it god damn awful. It certainly is miserable in MTG to have your strong creatures blown up or counterspelled without interaction, but if those mechanics didn't exist the game would devolve to people beating each other in the face with big creatures over and over and wouldn't be very fun.

Good game designers ACTIVELY use misery/negativity in their game to give context to other moments. Its why people love Darksouls and why Call of Duty phases through people who play games a lot: Darksouls is very willing to make you unhappy at times in order to make you avoiding unhappyness mean something, CoD is not and so you just sorta grind through it, MP or Singleplayer.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2020

One way that will help: Stop trying to get Undying/Ruin nerfed.

You do realize that combo literally does nothing for a killer who face camps? It's literally only effective if the killer is pressuring gens and not camping.

That goes away, Killers will have little to no choice but to facecamp games they're behind on and hope Survivors make blunders - since this combo is about the only way killers are currently able to pressure gens vs. good survivors.

• noctis129

Many survivors who play dbd, are wretchedly unhappy and uncomfortable.

• Felnex
    edited November 2020

There's a difference between playing the game in a way that benefits you (that's the main reason why you do it, hurting them isn't your motivation, it's so you can feel good) it work for you but hurts the other player (for example, for one player to win the other MUST lose) but that doesn't mean the loser must be miserable. What you just pointed out were game mechanics, ways the game was meant to be played. I define "making their game miserable" not by playing the game normally, but by going out of your way to humiliate the other player (teabagging, facecamping, toxic chat)

• dezzmont
    edited November 2020

You can define things anyway you want. However, game designers actively use emotional peaks and valleys (in fact they literally draw graphs of them in more linear games!) in order to make the experience work. Sometimes that includes things that are in the moment extremely negative. You try to create a healthy curve of tension that doesn't swing about too much and creates a nice thrill, rather than super huge spikes or it remaining the same all the time. This is why the glut of overly tutorialized games in the late 2000's early 2010s all feel samey and bad: They sand off the edges so much and never have any peaks and valleys, and part of why Darksouls became such a smash hit is because it was this big high budget released that re-introduced good emotional pacing back into the game industry. Heck, actually anyone who designs or writes media uses them! Its integral to how a 3 act structure works in film!

Having a game that tries to make you never feel negative is like having a roller coaster that never goes up. It isn't possible, if you literally don't have an aversion to any outcome the game can't motivate you emotionally in any real way. This is the key to how games engage you, and its why games without hard game-overs or consequences for failure other than checkpoints or a swift respawn like CoD tend to not leave much of an emotional impact through gameplay: It just... doesn't matter what you do.

Now, I agree you shouldn't make someone unhappy for its own sake, and being classy is important (which is why Teabagging is somewhat poor form but is tollerated in basically every competitive scene as a valid tactic, and toxic chat SHOULD just get you flat out banned), but facecamping is absolutely part of the mental strategy of the game. The only way the killer can win at all is to make the survivors uncomfortable, feel unsafe, panic, angry, ect. That is just... how killer is played. Being defensive at the hook to encourage a misplay through anxiety or frustration is as valid a way to force a misplay as forcing the killer to misplay by getting a good flashslight save and trying to keep them in a rage chase after for the rest of the game.

The devs talked about this design a lot leading up to the game's launch. They wanted hook rescues to be this thing that could happen but were a bad idea most of the time, and for good survivors to be really ruthless about if they wanted to hook rescue or not. Before SWF was added, they wanted survivors to evaluate if cooperation was worthwhile or if they should just try to unlock the requirements for the hatch to spawn and be in it for themselves, with most games having a bit of a mix. They added a lot of tools to punish 'over-alturism.' Its part of the game's design, deep in its DNA, just as the killer panicking due to time pressure or over-tunneling and blowing the game for themselves is. It is literally the main way to reach loss condition of survivors, and removing that pressure which helps killers reach a point where no one is working on gens... breaks DBD because it forces killers to, again, slug, which is LITERALLY WHAT HAPPENED any time they tried to make camping worse than it is now.

I can't stress this enough, defending the hook is super vital to DBD working, and attempting to make it worse is a very selfish thing to advocate for. Your SPECIFIC displeasure at being hooked being removed is not worth sacrificing the GENERAL tension of DBD and turning the game into an M1 simulator again. We JUST got out of M1 simulator territory after over a year of a change based around breaking all tension in the game to avoid letting the survivors have an even minorly negative experience at any point in time, lets not go back.

The game will only feel good if your allowed to get WRECKED, and the killer has that power to WRECK you, because that makes your power to stop it and your ability to do so actually feel good! Every chase with the killer needs to feel like it COULD be the one that ends the game if you misplay it and do something like get hooked near a critical gen, or lead the killer to someone else right as you go down, or all sorts of things. You need to CARE about the consequences of going down, and that means you can't be entitled to get back up. And, indirectly, the killer needs to use that negativity generated by a survivor going down to pressure the other players.

AGAIN, if it was not intentional for the killer to utilize their knowledge of the survivor's location and ability to stop unhooks against the other survivors to pressure them, we would just have Pyramid Head's cage system on every killer. But we don't. There is a reason for that. Its because killers are supposed to be able to exploit the survivors altruism if they notice it, and there are already SO MANY tools to punish killers for sloppy defenses. The mechanic is designed to get you emotional and sloppy, its doing its job and advocating for that aspect to go away is hurting the core gameplay loop of DBD.

And obviously the game isn't at a place anymore where the survivors having NO tools to rescue when the hook is being defended works. SWF, despite warping the design a lot, was a good idea, and Borrowed Time (post nerf) is a really good design. But hook camping is at the weakest it can be before we go to slugmania. And at a certain point, its on the survivors to accept they literally CANNOT achieve things if the killer refuses to allow it and will sacrifice literally everything else to ensure it. Hook camping not being possible basically renders the killer entirely powerless and destroys their agency, turning them into almost a toy for the survivors rather than a player making choices in their own right, because it removes one of the ways killers can punish survivors if they correctly anticipate their behavior.

• Felnex

I feel genuinely terrible but I'm really not invested enough to read that much. You're an excellent writer and I appreciate how deeply you can think to be able to write that much but I'm just going to wish you a good day and bow out, I don't have what it takes to continue this lol

• noctis129

Teabagging and toxic chat is not gameplay. That's online harrassment mostly survivors do.

Facecamping is a strategic gameplay. The Devs have defended this very clearly. Why do u think insidious is a perk?

Again, it's salty survivors trying to guilt trip

the killers to play a certain way.

A invisible "rulebook" made up by survivors.

Everyone knows this. U keep spinning and spinning w the same argument that's been debunked.

• noctis129

Again, the problem here is that u are not ok. U really need to just let ppl play however they want to play.

If u don't want to facecamp. Than play killer and show the rest of us how it's done.

• Felnex

Facecamping is a terrible experience for the survivor on the hook that disproportionately negatively affects solo queue survivors who cannot communicate they're being facecamped and increases the odds of survivors suiciding on hooks so they can actually play the game instead of just being on the hook and getting no BP. it's absolutely horrible for the same

And you don't get to say "killers like to play a certain way, don't guilt trip them" well that's not fair for the survivor: Because they don't get to play the game. the killer can just say "nope, you're never getting off this hook, no chance for you to earn BP" and that's unfair. Anything a survivor does does not permanently prevent the killer from playing the game, but facecamping is basically like dying, except you have to waste a few extra minutes while mashing spacebar. it sucks and you should be able to admit it's bad design if you cared about what both players are experiencing.

• noctis129

Again, what u just said, I mean yea. Sure. I agree. I get it. It sucks. I am a survivor main.

Unfun? Sure. Unfair? Yes and no. There's lots of things about dbd that's "unfair". But at the end of the day, it's fair becuz everything is unfair.

Ur post is basically a entitled survivor mentality. And ur not even realizing that. Ur not entitled to anything. Fun and unfun is just situational. Not getting enough BP, well ur not entitled to that either.

The best way to look at the game is to just let everyone play how they want.

I know this is not the answer ur looking for but there is no answer to ur complaint. This game is from 2016. Ur not the first person complaining about facecamping.

The Devs have graciously came out of the caves and clearly told everyone that facecamping is a viable strategy and it is not bannable. They even said not to bother them about it. Don't even hit the report button. Just go YouTube it.

• _VTK_
    _VTK_ Member Posts: 383

"Distraction" points for the hooked survivor sounds good actually. And make both struggling phases a little longer.

• _VTK_
    _VTK_ Member Posts: 383

Suuure. Let's fix all game balance issues with perks, we have unlimited perk slots, right? In DBD perks are not supposed to be run just for fun. I want an FPS boost perk. When I run it, I get +20 fps, so I don't have to play on low gfx to get smooth skillchecks.

• Unseen_Force
    Unseen_Force Member Posts: 218

You want survivors that are on a hook to get "credit for gen progress while they're on the hook".......?? They might as well just start giving you a pip before the game even starts if youre playing survivor lol

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

I hate most of these idea people come up with when come to camping killer I say for any gen done person on the hook gets a big BP bonus it don't hurt the killer other then what it does now to them.

• Chekita
    Chekita Member Posts: 184

I'd say : (1) take a pause; (2) play another role; (3) remember you can't control what other people do; (4) Watch this video with tips about how not to get tilted in dbd:

Pretty good suggestions from Otz.

• piggysus
    piggysus Member Posts: 1

Getting some credit for being a distraction doesn't equal a free pip. If they're getting face camped for a substantial amount of time then they're not going to get a pip unless they already worked on gens, were altruistic, and led the killer for a bit. If they haven't then it's a guaranteed de-pip. I don't see the issue with a survivor getting a bit of bp for holding the killer's attention. Again, they should only get credit for gen progress while they're on hook if they are getting face camped.

• Unseen_Force
    Unseen_Force Member Posts: 218

"Hex: Ruin is also a passive perk – killers just equip it, and reap the benefits, without much effort"

Not sure if you know, but the reason they nerfed ruin was because killers "reap the benefits, without much effort".

Being rewarded for being on a hook is the same thing; its being rewarded for doing absolutely nothing. Regardless if youre being face camped or not, its just a flat out bad idea to reward survivors for being on a hook, because youre literally doing nothing.