Literally a single LEGIT reason why chatwheel isn't in the game yet?

Justalittlepeeck
Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101
edited November 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

Something like this

All phrases are shown in different language depending on what language people have set in their game, so no language barrier problem. There's no "chat" option so people can't call each other names even if they wanted to, etc.

This is just a ######### edit of dota chatwheel, of course this could look much better and have more phrases for every situation like "killer has enduring" or "the trap is here" or "killer stopped chasing me" and so on. Survivors in SWF can already achieve same level of communication, so why can't solo players be allowed to do that?

Why can't this be a thing?

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

I feel like some of these are ok to add in but the ping commands is just the glass bead add-on for the map so it really shouldn't be baseline.

It would be nice if a map would let you do the ping commands as a set action for having one with the applicable add-ons but baseline would be a bit too powerful.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Well there’s the logic of HOW the survivors are communicating this if they’re not close by to each other.

• WTBacon
    WTBacon Member Posts: 593

BHVR couldn't code a working version of this to save their lives.

• Justalittlepeeck

How are survivors able to run after being cut in half by chainsaw?

How are they not dying from the bloodloss?

How are they able to see auras?

How are they not dying despite dying?

and so on.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. This is exactly what im talking about. They should implement this for solo. Although I probably wouldn't put things like the killer has Enduring or the trap is here. This would be overpowered.

• Justalittlepeeck
    edited November 2020

Every bit information SWF groups can share should be available in chatwheel.

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583

"Feature?" Are you talking about queueing up with friends or the fact that everyone talks via 3rd party applications?

• Justalittlepeeck

we all know these are one and the same. Nobody plays on SWF without comms and the ones who claim otherwise are lying.

• Well there is absolutely nothing that can be done to stop SWF from using discord and such.

So tbh it makes more sense to give some communication options and just balance the game around the thing that literally kills games existing to compensate.

Will never happen though, devs are very stubborn.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited November 2020

I do sometimes, though more often than not I play for fun not srs business so even though we are in discord we are not sharing much information, mostly just talking about other stuff. The extent of communcation is usually "Dude you're running to me cut it out" when I almost have a gen done or "are you going to unhook him?" that's about it. Nothing really hardcore game breaking either tbh.

It's a problem when you have a tryhard SWF that is like...."Okay, go down here, joey will head on stun him at that locker, yeah second one on the left, okay, and now I'll do down and DS him or so and so will flashlight stun him and so and so should have that gen done by then"

Those are the frustrating you can't do diddly all in ones.

• Justalittlepeeck

If we start treating all SWFs like they aren't using gamebreaking potential comms give, we can aswell buff spirit, nurse or slinger, because we will consider only bad or mediocre players on them who are certainly unable to unleash all potential from these killers to make them overpowered or uncounterable as many people on these forums claim.

• Tubby_Squirrel
    Tubby_Squirrel Member Posts: 245

If it has a limited range (Say just over standard TR?) and the killer can also see the messages, yes.

• Justalittlepeeck

Can killer see or hear information survivors share through comms while playing in SWF? No.

Why should killers be able to see information from chatwheel? The ENTIRE point of it is to give solos tools SWF get for nothing.

• Justalittlepeeck

Jokes aside it would be bugged. But at least having it being in the game in one way or the other, as well as having other perks&powers adjusted if they get broken with it (not because bugs), would be a huge steps in fulfilling their 2 years old promises.

• Tubby_Squirrel

Because it makes more sence. Like the killer evesdropping on them. Perhaps an item or perk lets them send or receive messages telepathically and the killer can't hear that.

Besides~ Oh uncreative one, truly dubious teams could feed the killer false information~ Didn't think of that one, did you?

• CLB198
    CLB198 Member Posts: 315

Just have them point and not ping things. I don't want people to spam chat to find my stuff.

• Justalittlepeeck

can killer see or hear information people share on comms?

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583

I'm not against this chatwheel thing, being upfront about that. It's been suggested in the past and pings and small forms of communication would be good.

But I find it incredibly backwards to think that an application like a video game should take that much control over your computer that you cannot use voice chat via third party app. This also doesn't make sense for two consoles that allow voice chat through parties and private calls. There is absolutely no way you can nerf, remove, or restrict voice communications in any way without removing people's right to control their own computer. And even then they'll just find a different way to communicate via voice, like a phone call. I don't know why people think this is in any way possible, you simply cannot restrict players like this, it's literally impossible.

The only thing you can do is stuff like a chatwheel or simple pings, maybe even make them proximity. I don't think anything complicated is necessary. The above example is way too complicated and redundant.

What really needs to change is the survivor status. Perk buffs should be notified where they are coming from, players should be notified when someone is being chased with a small amount of delay. Players should be able to simply mark chests, totems and generators that can be seen from a certain distance(not across the map but not a terribly short distance either).

It's more of a quality of life change than anything seriously groundbreaking. We probably don't even need a wheel, just a smart clicker. Point your cursor at something, anyone within 24-30 meters will get a non-intrusive notification that you are at this place, either doing something, seeing the killer, or whatever. 5 second cooldown so you don't spam it constantly to get people's attention like some neglected misbehaving child.

• Stealth
    Stealth Member Posts: 123

And yet there's no built in way for communication. SWF have to do it with 3rd party apps. Solo Q has nothing, no text chat and no VoIP. Also there's a bunch of perks that are useless with comms. The game isn't balanced for comms. That said, they need to just add ways for solos to chat and rebalance from there. You can never have solo and SWF both be balanced otherwise.

• Jujubeetch
    Jujubeetch Member Posts: 10

if they add these features, then i feel like sfw won't be as strong as they previously were and solo survivors will get a buff, that being said, bhvr could start balancing the game with "survivors being able to communicate" in mind and sfws will be less of a menace to face, this seems like a win for solo survivors and killers if they manage to nerf survivors with the addition of communication in mind.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I am highly against that. I stopped playing swf because it made the game boring. The thrill comes from a lack of information, and you have to base your playstyle around that. Your idea would destroy that. On top of that, i doubt it would do so much anyway. A lot of people feel its the lack of communication that makes them lose, but i disagree. The guy that just runs around behind the killer with a flashlight dosnt care how often you tell him to do gens, he is doing what he wants anyway. I had games where i was the only one doing gens (4 i did from 0-complete alone, because all other 3 were allergic to gens. And its not because i couldn´t tell them what to do.

Also, if that was implemented, killers would need a serious buff, because they can handle swf because of the communication. They are not buffed because they would destroy solos too easy otherwise. But if you buff solos, you have to buff killer, and wihtout swf you still lose because one potato is enough, and this game has many of them.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,103

Do people actually have that hard of a time solo queueing and think it's a communication issue? More often than not it's just other survivors acting like they're braindead. I feel like people exaggerate how strong swf is typically. I mean yes, survivors do get more info and such but most of the time when i am i play with friend we usually are just bsing and joking around.

• Justalittlepeeck

Game is boring in SWF because the game isn't balanced around SWFs =)

If solos are brought at least close to the levels of communication SWF have, then the game could be balanced around survivors with comms and thus be made more difficult in general.

• Justalittlepeeck

just for the sake of experiment, play against one and same killer of your level with and without comms while trying your best to see how big of a difference comms and extra info make.

• Eleghost

I wouldn't use it honestly. I don't play the game competitively and i don't really think it should be played that way. Sure people will play that way but i personally wouldn't want random text popping up or misclicking and a chat box popping up mid chase.

• Izy
    Izy Member Posts: 27

The same way we can see auras of people super far away. It's not like the killer actually plays their terror radius from a pocket speaker. There's plenty of in game logic to support players having extra sensory perception.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Well the reason is because the game is intended to be played with a lack of communication.

Yes i know a joke statement with swf being what it is but it is what it is.

• Justalittlepeeck

I mean survivors can already see through the entire map

and they have billions informational perks

and there's a legit way to say ######### you no communication design

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

If it would be really designed to be played like this, then external voice chat programs would be blacklisted.

• RamblinRango
    RamblinRango Member Posts: 389

How are people arguing over this? Great idea, +1

• Eleghost

because it's just not really a huge issue and voice comms would be better suited for it but no one wants voice comms. Also It would probably cause some huge amount of bugs or unintended issues in game.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

The perks are a cost. "If you want information you have to use recources mentallity"

Again a joke statement with swf being there but i feel they still want to hold on to their original vision of the game while just ignoring swf and seeing it as a nececarry evil to keep the game popular

Don't get me wrong, absolutly love the idea, just saying the probable reason why this isn't in the game already

Waste of time, blacklist a voice chat program and people will just do it over the phone. Why bother going through a lengthy process if people can circumvent it that easilly

• Justalittlepeeck

That "necessary evil" is too big to be ignored. Devs must eventually do something with it.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Then introduce a legit way, so everyone can benefit from it.

• _VTK_
    _VTK_ Member Posts: 383

Something must be done, to bring solo closer to SWF, but I'm against the chatwheel, it would break the game atmosphere for me.

Instead I suggested more information on the HUD long ago. It's not the same as chatwheel, but we need an indicator whenever any survivor is being chased, not only the obsession. Much more can be added, like when someone hears the heartbeat. A progressbar (similar to the deep would progress bar) for an action that a survivor is currently doing (repairing a gen, healing another survivor etc).

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237
    edited November 2020

Beautiful presentation. As much i dislike survivors sharing information, this is exactly whats needed to close the solo-cwf gap, anything else would be useable by cwf too. ( aura readings or UI-stuff )

I'd fear the ping tools might become too strong, but that depends on implementation ( revealing aura of pinged objects or your own aura when pointing at someone with "i need healing", for example). Being able to make a survivor notice your injured ass to turn around and heal you instead of running away can be quite gamechanging, lol. So I'm in favor of general messages, but wary of adding a ping tool to point specific items especially if you can point out totems and traps.

But there should be small cooldowns on messages (and pings, if implemented) to stop spamming, or a dynamic cooldown the more you spam those.

• Tubby_Squirrel

The old 'repeate yourself and don't read my post' tactic. Since you did not respond to my other points I assume you agree with them. After all, if you didn't you would refuse those talking points and not just double down on this one. Check.

• Justalittlepeeck

I stopped reading the moment I saw you saying killers should be able to hear survivors sharing info.

Can't really blame me for assuming the other points are as dumb as the first one.

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060

would actually make my killer games against solos somewhat a challenge. I want this

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

Annoying brats would abuse the mechanic to frustrate other players. It is the exact same reason people don't want open voice chat like Friday The 13th. Nobody wants some spoiled 13 year old kid saying racist slurs the whole match because they got bested in a chase.

• Tubby_Squirrel

Twice you have responded, and twice you have failed to provide any counter argument. Of course you just invaloidated your objection by admitting you did not read all of it.

I sugest another layer of gameplay and mind game potential. You sugest a blanket buff to only 1 side of the game to compensate for the use of third party programs. If DBD was a game where you could only play as a survivor and killers were just AI, I would agree with you.

But you cannot simply roll out a blanket buff to what most would argue is already the stronger side.

• Justalittlepeeck

What arguments should I counter? Please tell me? Other dumb suggestions or "survivors may give false information"? That's laughable. Your entire point is a joke.

By the way, it seems you don't understand the entire point of my suggestion. Let me enlighten you.

I suggest not just a "blanket 1 side buff", but a huge and relatively simple step into direction of bringing solo survivors to SWF with comms levels. I hope you won't try to deny that the game is balanced around solo players and at the same there's a thing that allows survivors to get colossal advantage for nothing, which is unavailable to solo players. When solo players will possess at least similar tools as SWF survivors, the game could be balanced not around just "solo survivors" but simply around all survivors because there would be no magic gamemode that made survivors stronger, which means more buffs for killers like Trapper or other ones who perform pretty well against disorganized solo players, but fail miserably against coordinated SWF groups that share all info needed to nullify most threat from the killer.

Now, let me ask again, do you geniuenly believe that the communication feature that is available for SWF players for NOTHING should have severe downsides or limitations for solo players?

• Justalittlepeeck

Of course the system could have some antispam protection like no more than 5 pings in 5 seconds or 'mute pings from X' feature and so on.

But not adding such system because a small % of people would abuse it to ruin games or be annoying is dumb. If people want to ruin the game, they will ruin it. However with that mindset you're denying an opportunity for better experience for other fair players (in terms of actually playing and trying to win).

• Tubby_Squirrel

Outside of flat out implementing voice chat into the base game (Which is a terrible idea imo, something about this game just gets people tilted... I think its cathartic af) nothing is going to be as strong as the ability to talk to your team mates via voice. Every game that allows for any level of coperation is going to be easier when you talk to people with VC, this isn't a special flaw with DBD. Even if you could communicate at or near the level of SWF on coms, the fact that they're likely friends still puts them at a huge advantage. If say they're chased past a totem, you think they're going to use the chat wheel to tell you, a rando? Or are they gonna say 'hey, the totem is behind the corner gen' in vc?

And lastly, should games be balanced around people using modded clients? Balacing around a third party aplication is something I've seen very few games pull off well. (Haven & Hearth comes to mind as one that did it in an elegant, creative way.)

• Justalittlepeeck

>Outside of flat out implementing voice chat into the base game (Which is a terrible idea imo, something about this game just gets people tilted... I think its cathartic af) nothing is going to be as strong as the ability to talk to your team mates via voice.

In the end there's not that many different things SWF groups might share, so that all could be fit in under 20-30 phrases + marker option to pinpoint location and so on.

Take a look at Dota 2 for example where chatwheel is implemented pretty well, despite not being used due to people being able to also use text chat and voice. DbD has no voice or text chat so having a Dota2-like chatwheel with ping option would be something to help solo players to achieve at least likeness of coordination.

Nonetheless, being able or not being able to share these bits of info can be extremely important in many situations.

> Every game that allows for any level of coperation is going to be easier when you talk to people with VC, this isn't a special flaw with DBD. Even if you could communicate at or near the level of SWF on coms, the fact that they're likely friends still puts them at a huge advantage. 

Yeah, but in other games you aren't horribly restricted in communication. I'll use Dota 2 as an example once again. Coordinated party and 5 randoms are different things in terms of performance and strength, however the difference between 5 randoms and 5 friends of same level isn't very huge, due to the fact both friends and randoms have ways of communicating between each other and more or less coordinate their moves.

The only difference is that random players

• might not want to play together, while friends are very likely to be willing to coordinate
    • do not know each other's preferences, playstyles and so on, so that they have to learn that information through the course of the match.

Otherwise there's no difference. Premades don't get a way to possess some crucial information that would be never available to solo players and so on. Concluding, premades in other games (like Dota) do have advantage over solos, yet this advantage isn't even remotely as crushing as it is in DbD, due to the fact that the difference between solos and premades lies purely in the fact they do or do not know each other. Otherwise they are one and the same.

Back to DbD. All information 1 players in premade group receives is instantly shared among other members of the team. This is something solo players could only dream of. Premade players always have more or less good understanding where each member of the team is and where's the killer. Solo players can achieve at least likeness of that by wasting perkslots and itemslots. Premade players can tell each other what objective to do, be it totems, gens or rescues. Solo players cannot tell each other what each of them should do, so their efficiency heavily drops down. Imagine if people were not allowed to talk to each other in any way in a game like Dota, but could play in party and use discord.

It is a special flaw of DbD or any game where communication is restricted for the sake of balanced, but this restriction can be easily bypassed by playing in party mode.

>If say they're chased past a totem, you think they're going to use the chat wheel to tell you, a rando? Or are they gonna say 'hey, the totem is behind the corner gen' in vc?

What do you mean? If 2-3 man SWF gets with solo? Not likely first weeks or months, but once people actually figure out how to use the chatwheel properly, they will use it even while playing in SWF, unless they are jerks, but in that case nothing will help and we have to accept this as necessary evil we actually could do nothing about for the sake of greater good which is communication between other players who want to win.

>And lastly, should games be balanced around people using modded clients? Balacing around a third party aplication is something I've seen very few games pull off well. (Haven & Hearth comes to mind as one that did it in an elegant, creative way.)

And exactly because the game shouldn't be balanced around modded client, communication option must be available to solo players in one way or another, so that the game could be balanced around all survivors and not around solo survivors exclusively (while acting like SWF doesn't exist, unless demanded to make a shapeshifter killer, but I guess that's just an exception).

Communication system must be added due to how important communication is in DbD. Not making this feature because some idiots will not use it, is like not adding seat belt into car because some dumbasses don't use them. It would be their fault for not caring, but ffs, let this system save lives of other people who actually care.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

I'd be fine with this as long as it's really bright so the killer can see it across the map and give the killer access to it as well