The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why do I need cross play on PS5 in order to play against and with PS4 players?

Nicholas
Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

Sony's official information states that cross-generation play is separate from cross play with other platforms. so I should be able to turn off cross play and only play against other PS5 and PS4 players. However on dbd, I have to enable cross play just to play against PS4 players. I assume it's a bug but is it going to be fixed? It's difficult because I have a friend on PS4 that only likes to play against PlayStation users and to play with him he has to enable cross play.

Comments

• Nicholas

PlayStation is a closed ecosystem, so they make statements and comments and enforce policies all the time regarding games they don't make but are licensed for their systems. With that said, every single game I've played works on cross generation without cross play. Destiny, Overwatch, Fortnite, Paladins, Smite, Call of Duty, and No Man's Sky just to name a few.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

I thought it was dumb at first too BUT someone pointed out that it's a good thing when PS5 performance is now like PC - no fps drops from specific triggers, overall runs smoother than current gens. PS4 players that turned off crossplay due to performance advantages PC players had would just have same issues against PS5 players if crossplay off included them.

• Nicholas

Yes I understand that, but not everyone disable cross-play for that reason. I'm not going to get into why people do it, bc that will have the topic hijacked. As far as I know PlayStation doesn't allow cross-play to be mandatory for access to cross-generational play. At least according to the wording of the official statement about the feature.

• Ryuzaki
    Ryuzaki Member Posts: 688
    edited November 2020

A recent survey by BHVR asked a question about console only crossplay so I assume this is coming at some point.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,729

This is currently the same for Xbox as well...

• bm33

Yes, there are multiple reasons players have turned off crossplay, but console having a performance disadvantage to pc is one of them and was a big enough reason to be a specific question on recent crossplay survey. While it may not be your reason to turn off crossplay it is the reason for others and a reason to not consider PS4 and PS5 the same when crossplay is off.

The Sony Q&A said that it's possible for play between PS4/PS5 and is up to the game devs to support play between PS4/PS5, does not say how the devs can/can't do it. DBD is allowing play between PS4 and PS5, it's just not in the way you want it.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

If I’m playing a PS4 game, can I play with my friend who is playing the PS5 version of that game, or vice-versa?

It is possible to play together depending on the game, though support must be provided by the game’s developer.

• Nicholas

The reason is immaterial to the discussion. This isn't about the merits on why people do or don't allow cross play or want it. I asked a very clear and concise question. The support section has a more ambiguous answer, hence why I came here to ascertain more details. I never said it was disallowed. However as I stated, cross-generation play is separate from cross play. Dead is the only game that is linking cross-generation play to cross play, and it is obvious why. They are very eager to get everyone on board with cross play and this is just another mechanism to achieve that goal. It's unnecessary, per Sony and that was the point of this topic. I didn't want this topic to become yet another about the merits of cross play. And then the icing on the cake, your trophy progress doesn't carry over. So if you were at 999 hatchet throws on PS4, you're back to zero on PS5. You would have to go back to PS4 to throw one more to get the trophy but you would still be at zero on PS5. So many bad decisions with this cross-generation process.

• bm33

The reason does matter because it's one that goes into the decision for how they code the two into the game. They consider PS4 and PS5 different platforms in their coding and crossplay currently is all or nothing, not pick/choose what platforms to play with. What Sony considers crossplay and what a game developer considers crossplay in their coding are two different things.

When the switch from PS3 to PS4 happened many games didn't have trophies carry over, instead you had PS3 set and PS4 set - Diablo 3 is one I can think of off the top of my head. It's the same thing for PS4 to PS5. Maneater, Borderlands 3, and Assassin Creed Valhalla are 3 examples I can think of that don't have their trophies carry over - you'll have a PS4 set and a PS5 set.

• Nicholas
    edited November 2020

I'm talking about the reason from the gamer's perspective. Yes they have their own reasons but the point I'm making is that there is no need to distinguish between PS4 and PS5 or Xbox One and Xbox Series X for the purposes of cross-generational play. This is a decision they made to accomplish or achieve their own objective which in this case is very likely to encourage more options for cross play. They can allow cross-generational play without binding it to cross play itself.

Edit: moved my trophy related comments to another threat about it.

Post edited by Nicholas on
  • maxdefcon
    maxdefcon Member Posts: 54

I also second that we should be able to have cross-play disabled and still play with PS4 players. When I have cross-play enabled, I'm able invite my friends that are on PS4... however, they don't have the icon next to their name which indicates they are on another platform like if it were a PC or Xbox player. I've seen others request this as well... Xbox Series X cannot play with their Xbox One X counterparts unless cross-play is enabled.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Oh I'm sure they'll get right on it. Should be fixed by the time next gen is out

• maxdefcon
    maxdefcon Member Posts: 54

To be honest... I dislike playing against PC players as killer when I'm on console. It sucks that I have to have it enabled to be able to play at all right now. Can't wait for more people to get PS5 to disable it again.

• ShadowRain
    ShadowRain Member Posts: 607

This needs to be fixed asap

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

I think the answer has been stated here, and has also been ignored and/or misrepresented:

If you are playing on PS5 against someone playing on PS4, you have a hardware advantage. BHVR did not allow cross-gen play without cross-platform enabled because of that hardware advantage. If you don't like this answer, sorry. It's simply the most likely scenario.

This answer is speculative, and would require a developer to answer in order to be certain, but it is the most likely scenario.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,729

So what about the wardware advantage of a PC to an Xbox1 should Crossplay be on?

• Nicholas

That's someone opinion, but not a fact. Imo if they were so concerned about a hardware advantage, then they would have never allowed cross play with console and PC. Afaik dbd is the only game that makes crossplay a prerequisite for access to cross-generation play. Of course we don't know the real reason, hence the topic was created. My personal opinion is that they are very eager to encourage cross play and this is just one mechanism to fulfill that goal.

• StibbityStabbity

As far as I can tell, you can't play against PC on Xbox unless you have crossplay on. Microsoft Store on PC and Steam can, but not Xbox and PC.

So, instead of it being about keeping equal-level hardware against each other if they have crossplay turned off (which makes sense and has a base logic to it), you think it's about trying to force a mechanic (which is rather malicious and feels like a punishment that they don't force on other people). Okay. You do you.

• Nicholas
    edited November 2020

Actually the only reason they allow a opt-out, is because Sony mandates it. Sony was the final platform hold out of cross play. Epic, Steam, Microsoft, Nintendo and Google were all in agreement for crossplay. Sony dragged its feet and only because of consumer pressure, finally capitulated and allowed cross play and cross progression with some restrictions. The hardware argument doesn't make sense, in light of the reasons I outlined in my previous response. And yes I do think they are motivated to encourage cross-play options. It benefits them greatly in many ways. It also provides some benefit to players. You should educate yourself, look up white papers on cross play and why there is a big shift in that direction.

And not to mention the fact that the developers of this game have publicly stated that they're not seeing any performance or skill concerns regarding PC versus console in both roles.

• StibbityStabbity

Only it DOES make sense. They don't concern themselves with hardware advantages if you have cross play turned ON. If you have it OFF, you are against people using the same hardware (unless you're on PC, which can't be helped). So it makes total sense.

Personally, I think you just want to crap on people using worse hardware than you. Do I have a real basis for this? Nope. Is it malicious? Yep. It's using the same mindset you are against BHVR, though, so what's good for the goose...

• Nicholas
    edited November 2020

Actually you're not totally equal because PS4 Pro and Xbox One X exist, they perform much more reliably than their original counterparts. Then there's also controller versus mouse and keyboard, the latter being arguably stronger especially for some killers. PC is still much better than PS5, so PC players will always have a significant advantage. With PS5, the advantage is less but it still exists. People will disagree, but there are people that would prefer staying within their console family and input method in this case being controller versus controller. I'm not really interested in debating why you think I made this topic because it's immaterial to the discussion. Maybe the devs will provide some insight on the next q&a stream.

• Rosenkreuz1979
    Rosenkreuz1979 Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2020

Generally, the topic about configurable crossplay somewhere here in the forum would be a very good decision to the developers, so the players could opt out of some platforms.

Personally I don't like playing with a PC players even when they are along in a survivors pack - there is too much toxic people there, anyways it's not the point. The point is: make the configurable Crossplaying like:

Crossplay: on

PS : on

PC: off

XBox: on

And everything will settle

• QuakeGibs
    QuakeGibs Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2020

Its Doesn't the crossplay is broken, I have an xbox one S a standard xbox, if I turn of crossplay I can no longer play with other Xbox consoles if they have crossplay on, the matchmaking should allow me to be matched with other xbox players regardless if myself or they have crossplay enabled.

Your other answer about the performance advantage of next gen is also wrong because the nintendo switch is the worse performing version of the game and on switch your are practically forced into crossplay against all the other consoles and PC because the que times with crossplay switched off on the switch is like half a day per game even at peak times because the matchmaking will not match me with other switch players if I have crossplay off. I had 3-5 min queue times as killer on switch before crossplay. Now you can't find any matches.

Best possible solution make crossplay be with the consoles only, let PC stay with steam, Microsoft and stadia or give us the option to pick which platforms I want to play with.

Post edited by QuakeGibs on