What prevents you from playing killer?

Options
BabyCameron10
BabyCameron10 Member Posts: 949
edited November 2020 in General Discussions

Just out of curiosity, since survivor queue times are long like before, What prevents you from playing killer?

For me it would have to be that at least 2 gens pop, usually around the first chase and I always seem to go against “good survivors.” It’s funny to me because when I play survivor (Solo) I always get the potatoes.

Also, this might sound weird but, How come most killers don’t feel threatening/scary? I always felt that the killer should have the upper hand. I really do think they need to give killers something to slow down the game by basekit. Maybe, after hooking every survivor once, all gens cannot be worked on for a certain amount of time, idk, something like that or give survivors an extra objective.

They should also look into the exit gates. I usually accept my loss after the 5th Gen gets done, I try my best to not play scummy but if I haven’t gotten a kill by the last gen, you bet your sweet ass I am going to camp the next person I hook. I noticed for you to at least to decently well as killer, you have to play sorta scummy. Slugging is a big one that killers have to do to slow the game down, this is another reason why I don’t usually play killer, what is yours?

Comments

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838
    Options

No time on my hands

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,714
    Options

Im a bit tired right now.

• JinSime
    JinSime Member Posts: 405
    Options

I don't have perks for my killers and the matchmaking usually sucks, so... I'd rather not.

• Maníaco_da_garrafa
    Options

Survivor challenges from the archives.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,598
    Options

"For me it would have to be that at least 2 gens pop, usually around the first chase and I always seem to go against “good survivors.” It’s funny to me because when I play survivor (Solo) I always get the potatoes."

Well, this most likely means that you are not as good as Killer as you think you are. If you are at the same Rank on both Killer and Survivor, on average, you should get the same players (skill-wise). It is basically impossible to always go against good Survivors and always get Potatoes as teammates. But you will remember those more than the respective other side, if you win a Killer game really easy because the Survivovrs are bad or you win as Survivor because your teammates were good, those games dont stay in your mind for long.

"Also, this might sound weird but, How come most killers don’t feel threatening/scary?"

Two things - first of all, time played. If someone plays a few dozen hours of DBD, the game is not scary anymore. This is normal, if you play a scary videogame like Outlast or whatever a few times, you will not get scared. Second, a Survivor is not going against a "Killer", it is just another human playing a Killer. Why should anyone be scared at this point?

" I really do think they need to give killers something to slow down the game by basekit. Maybe, after hooking every survivor once, all gens cannot be worked on for a certain amount of time, idk, something like that or give survivors an extra objective."

Slowdown by basekit - Devs are working on something like that, but IMO it is not really needed.

Gens blocked after hooking - you already have your Map Pressure once you hook a Survivor. Another survivor needs to go to the rescue, this is Map Pressure - forcing Survivors into altruistic actions.

Extra Objective - depends, I am always for second Objectives, but they need to be balanced. It should not be like "Ok, the Survivors need to gather parts, this will take them a minute and then they work on a Gen for 80 seconds". This would not be balanced at all. Speaking of adding a second Objective is easier than actually implementing it.

So if the Devs ever add a second Objective, you can be sure that the time spent on a Gen will decrease.

"They should also look into the exit gates. I usually accept my loss after the 5th Gen gets done, I try my best to not play scummy but if I haven’t gotten a kill by the last gen, you bet your sweet ass I am going to camp the next person I hook. I noticed for you to at least to decently well as killer, you have to play sorta scummy. Slugging is a big one that killers have to do to slow the game down, this is another reason why I don’t usually play killer, what is yours?"

Exit Gates - IMO Killers should not get a camping penalty when all Gens are done and they camp, because there is not really anything a Killer can do at this point. It does not make sense that it hurts the Killers Emblem if they want to secure a Kill in Endgame.

When it comes to slugging - slugging is totally fine and a great tool to generate Map Pressure. If you slug someone and see someone else you might be able to down fast (e.g. injured and/or in a Deadzone), go for it. There is nothing scummy about that. Slugging is not really needed if you are in a good position anyway. And as long as you dont slug all 4 people at 5 Gens just to one-hook everyone at least the more reasonable Survivors wont complain about slugging.

• BabyCameron10
    BabyCameron10 Member Posts: 949
    Options

I forgot to mention that. Yeah, Killer fps is so bad on Xbox one, I main Demogorgon, so it’s usually bad.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

I avoid killer if the killer queue is long (rare now-a-days), I have survivor challenges, or if my friends really want me to play with them. Otherwise, I’m playing killer.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,288
    Options

If I'd rather play survivor at that moment I guess that prevents me from playing killer. But wanting to play killer prevents me from playing survivor just as often 😄

• VanitasRyuzaki
    VanitasRyuzaki Member Posts: 110
    Options

I don't have the best perks. I've only played killer twice in my time on DBD. I got lucky getting a 4k an hour into my first time playing killer, but it was thanks to my friend for helping understand the movement and predict perfect times to attack when in a pallet loop.

Last time, I played killer I had a SWF team twice. One person playing as Jake was literally running around in circles on me, like literally he was circling my body closely and not even leaving. I didn't know such toxicity until that guy, plus it also didn't help that my perks weren't working. It's odd, when I play as survivor gens are slow progress but as killer I notice gens going off fast. Sabotage as Jake when I'm survivor also seems to take longer. I don't know if its my internet network or the servers.

I'm more adapted to playing survivor and just try to familiarize myself with the area so I know where to go to when I have the killer chasing me.

The next time i played killer, it was against a possible SWF and a survivor that is a massive face camping leatherface. Someone just stood in the front of my screen and i kept losing the survivors because of it. So I don't play killer because of those reasons and also I don't like dealing with toxic survivors also, I don't stick around waiting to taunt the killer at the end either.

Yes, you survived so leave. I think this community would be better for everyone if people had self-respect and integrity as gamers.

• My_Aespa
    My_Aespa Member Posts: 545
    Options

I get stressed out easily when I know that other people could possibly be judging my gameplay, I hate looking stupid, even though they don't know who I am irl as a person. I'm just not confident in my ability to play killer and I've never really been too bothered to learn, survivor is just more fun imo

• VanitasRyuzaki
    VanitasRyuzaki Member Posts: 110
    Options

I understand you completely. I also get nervous and stressed about playing as Killer. In my opinion, its a bit more difficult playing as killer than survivor since you have a small visual perspective of the area and its hard to turn sometimes. I'm hoping the rumored single player mode will help us understand and train ourselves to be killers, its good practice even though the survivors will be bots and probably make potato mistakes.

• My_Aespa
    My_Aespa Member Posts: 545
    Options

I agree, hopefully you can even choose the difficulty level, as in, pro will loop you, do gens, throw pallets down, and use good perks, while beginner will run in straight lines, do gens, maybe try to loop lol I hope that rumor is true

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options

Just this looming, and often far too correct notion that even though I let my rank drop taking a break, I'm going to run into bad matchmaking throwing my casual, non-meta butt in to a match vs smurfs, SWF, red ranks, and people I generally have no business going against.

I'm not great at the game. I refuse to believe it. I should be pitted against people who aren't great at the game. If I'm better then I'll hold back, or feel bad I didn't, usually. Good luck getting that sort of mercy from survivors.

It's not entirely that they will likely stomp me because I'm not interested in investing to "get gud" when I don't want to play that advanced, it's also the simple fact that I will end up with crap for blood points. I usually like running thrill of the hunt, and Beast of Prey (I don't have BBQ. Thanks to the sale I just got bubba to invest points into) in order to get bonus points.

You know, then stuff I need to get the perks people think I should have so I can be competitive. Really annoying people recommend perks I don't have.

I gotta feel like I'm making progress, and not wasting my time in 5 minute matches. That's fun. Progress.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 534
    Options

Considering I play mainly killer I'm going to explain the reason I play little survivor instead.

Reasons I don't play a lot of survivor.

• Lack of objectives
    • Boring M1 Gameplay
    • Relying on bad teammates
    • I don't have friends to play with

Reasons I play killer.

• I'm a horror nut and like playing as different icons.
    • The fun part of survivor (being in chase) you are constantly doing as killer.
    • I control the outcome of the game and don't have to rely on teammates.
    • I enjoy the large variety of killer powers and learning each killer is a new challenge that is fun to tackle.
    • Killers have a much higher skill ceiling due to their unique powers that can be used during a chase.

Note* I know killer is incredibly frustrating for a while at first before getting to a point where you can comfortably play in red ranks without losing your mind. If your serious and want to get into playing killer the best thing I can recommend is to keep your head up because all of the losses early on are learning experiences that will help you in the long run.

• JesseJH28
    JesseJH28 Member Posts: 478
    Options

Recently, I started playing survivor more often and kinda got pulled away from killer because of how much more relaxing it is to play survivor. I'll wait 5 or so minutes between matches and take some time to reassess my build, play on my phone, whatever as opposed to jumping right back in as killer and having stressful matches back to back with no break. Soon enough I'm sure I'll go back to about a 50/50 split between roles but for now, I'm just loving survivor

• Zarr0ch
    Zarr0ch Member Posts: 589
    Options

Toxic SWF a-holes. I don't mind being out played, if your more skilled than me...ok...your more skilled than me. But the constant t-bag, clicky clicky, E Z etc etc.

Not worth the pathetic-ness of it all

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520
    edited November 2020
    Options

As long as the devs have not set up for me the conditions to have fun and instead bring patch after patch that are unfun, why exactly should I do that? Nobody pays me for that (luckily because it would still feel like a curse), so... nooop.

Just here for my own curiosity to see how long dbd will survive :).

• Unseen_Force
    Unseen_Force Member Posts: 218
    Options

I play survivor whenever. Early in the morning half asleep, after work when im tired, or at night when im drinking beer.

To play killer I like to be in the mood, well rested, ready to focus. Dont really have the urge to play killer after an 8-10 hour work day lol

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

I would like to add that i've seen a LOT of games on both sides where me or other killers were able to completely turn the game around because survivors were too confident and made major mistakes

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options

Nothing really, I just play killer. Although, to be honest, the game on itself has begun to become a bit lame to me, maybe I will take another break from it.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233
    Options

just toxic plyers tbh, i still play killer but id be lying if i dont worry about toxic players because its never fun to go against those type of players, im a good player and i play fair dont go being a dick because i didnt want to slug everyone, play meta killers or sweat. i wanna have fun and that can take the fun outta it. plus PC, seen a few hackers and played against people with major edited settings, its not fun. most games can be okay though just those few are off putting (FYI i dont mind all pc players, just they tend to be more toxic and if i can avoid hackers or people with edited setting for an advantage i will. normal PC players are fine, i dont care about keyboard/mouse)

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

Being able to recognize those mistakes and punish them is an important part of your skill.

Don't downplay that.Not everybody is able to do that.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864
    Options

I prestiged too many at once, and the only leveled up killers are clown, wraith, and plague :/

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,096
    Options

I'm just not in the mood to play killer and my survivor waits are not bad - I just played 5 matches in a row that I was in a lobby pretty much instantly and matched with people in my rank. Probably helps I have crossplay off and most console players turn crossplay off when they play killer. 😂

• Golden_spider
    Golden_spider Member Posts: 587
    edited November 2020
    Options

Feels like i'm babysitting 4 Survivors instead of trying to kill them at the cost of my fun.

Oh also because of the most recent apparent lack of Killers players I'm being matched with drastically different ranks so that's the icing on the already unfun cake.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

right now would be because i'd rather finish my Tour of Duty in hopes of getting an aussie drop.

usually i pretty much only play killer though, unless friends want to play with me / i gotta do some tome challenges.

• shyguyy
    shyguyy Member Posts: 298
    Options

For me its utter boredom. The vast majority of survivor players are god awful. Pair that with how dumbed down killer has become and there is very little challenge to be had for competent killers.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    Options

Being colorblind, and having an anxiety disorder.

Reasons I do play killer: Every single daily ever is for killers since I made the mistake of unlocking them.

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688
    Options

I do play killer, but not as much as survivor, because it is much more stressful. Yes, you get more bloodpoints, but if you mess up as a killer there is no one to try to compensate for your mistake, like it may happen when playing survivor with a team.

• BabyDweat
    BabyDweat Member Posts: 1
    Options

Just that when I play killer there are really good survivors that do like2 gens when I get my first hook and they always seem to be a SWF and they would constantly do everything they can to save each other, like saving instantly, dropping every pallet in existence onto my head, being amazing at looping (even though when I play survivor they play like acoustic uneducated cabbages) gen rushing, you get the gist.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,575
    Options

I prefer to play killer. But I'm locked out of playing Doctor because he drops the game's fps no matter what role you are. And when my SWF friends are on, I answer the call to arms.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited November 2020
    Options

Bully SWF survivor groups.

Given there is no matchmaker or anything, you HAVE to be good at killer to have an enjoyable time, since you will often be put into games you have 0 chance of winning. A lot of survivor groups know this, and make it their job rather than just winning, to make sure they win and use the experience different to see how much they can bully a killer ON TOP of that, and still escape.

I still play killer, but the trolls have succeeded in making a lot of folks just scared to play killer.

• xEcoLog1cDuk3Xx
    xEcoLog1cDuk3Xx Member Posts: 441
    Options

It's not that I don't want to play killer, it's whether I'm ready to take in more BS.

• En3ermost
    En3ermost Member Posts: 298
    Options

Because life is already miserable and stressful enough by itself and I don't need any more of it while playing videogames.

But goddamn if playing only survivor gets boring after a while. Guess I'll follow a tip that was given to killers a while ago and go play some civilization.

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583
    edited November 2020
    Options

Someone on the youtubes gave a good suggestion for early game slow

it went something like, gen speeds are reduced by a crazy amount until the first chase/hit was initiated. After that, the game goes on normally. I think this would be a good way to start the match, as some killers have to setup and others can just jump right in, it leaves both the ability to initiate the match without worrying about generator creep.

• Techn0
    Techn0 Member Posts: 405
    edited November 2020
    Options

It feels like there's no even matches.

3k hours mostly on clown, most games I steamroll the survivors fast because of a playtime gap (50 hour survivors are at rank 1 pretty commonly tbh), that gets boring quickly.

If I lose the game 9/10 times I know I'm gonna lose within the first 3 minutes because of how snowball focused the game is, so the remaining time in the match is stressful and unfun even if I manage to turn it around.

There's no way of knowing when you'll be getting a squad with meta builds compared to squads that don't, so I either have to run full meta myself and say "wow that was boring" when I stomp people that are running off meta. Or I run off meta and try to have actual fun as killer and say "wow that was frustrating" when I lose to a full meta squad.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

Match making ignoring its purpose and pairing me against higher-ranked survivors because they've been waiting too long.

• LiunUK
    LiunUK Member Posts: 943
    Options

I don't like stress

• ThePolice
    ThePolice Member Posts: 801
    Options

Bad wifi/ queue times

• RioIT
    RioIT Member Posts: 6
    Options

Easy, it's boring. I usually have fun playing as a survivor