Why is this game so stressful as a killer but so relaxing as a survivor?

Options

Aside from the God keyboard killers in the forum who can win with perkless no add ons clown in red ranks against coordinated swf of course.

Comments

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

It just doesn't bother me on either side, the survivor side doesn't stress me and neither does the killer side, it's a video game to me, always has been, always will be, if it "stressed" me I just wouldn't play it.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

I wouldn’t say survivor is relaxing. But it has peaks and troughs - you’ll be chased, which can be stressful, but then you’ll be rescued and someone else will take the killer’s attention and you can sit there on a gen sipping your beer and reading a text, and you get to relax.

Whereas when you play killer you have to be constantly doing stuff that taxes your brain a bit - you never get that downtime where you can just sit back in your chair and let your mind wander. Unless you’re absolutely wiping the floor with the survivors, in which case you can just sort of go on autopilot and relax.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

I suppose it's that playing killer is just playing by yourself and as survivor you know you have 3 other teammates to back you up (at least in theory >.> )

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425
    Options

Its not wholly inaccurate eitehr though. You have to worry about a lot more and every action as a killer often has to be maximized to get anywhere. You have very few perks that forgive your mistakes (and most of those are still pretty useless). While survivors have perks that allow them to make plenty of mistakes, along with thier team mates who can continue to work while you focus on one. Now, while bad team mates can ######### survivors over, its still a less stressful enviorment either way in my opinion.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967
    Options
  • The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

because ppl are feelsies

• Greatamygdala
    Greatamygdala Member Posts: 292
    Options

I mean in comparison to the things you listed sounds pretty relaxing to me and that's just the simple version. Breaking down the things killers have to go through is a headache.

• Boddy604
    Boddy604 Member Posts: 183
    Options

I've never been angry after a match as killer.

I have outright logged off before though as survivor after getting tunneled & facecamped for the 3rd time in a row. (Thank god for that mori change)

Killer is definitely more exciting. I've never found it stressful though.

• KettleWettle
    KettleWettle Member Posts: 149
    Options

That's because as a survivor, it's not all up to you to get all of the gens done and unhook others. Should you still being do gens and be an efficient teammate ? Absolutely ! But as a killer, it's all up to you. You don't have any other killers helping you, you're all alone and it's all on you to take care of 7 generators, and to pressure survivors. So yeah... playing as a survivor is a lot more chill because you have others helping you, unlike killer 😊.

• aEONoHM
    aEONoHM Member Posts: 208
    Options

You spelled boring wrong.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,127
    Options

Sounds like a personal thing.

• Wesker09
    Wesker09 Member Posts: 159
    Options

I find survivor more stressful cause I play solo queue. Killer however is way easier to me

• Hyd
    Hyd Member Posts: 379
    Options

I've had a few moments myself sitting on a gen, about to take that sip of beer and then a skill check pops up - sh**!! Nearly spill it or cause it to foam the hell up slamming it back down on my desk to hit that skill check haha

• Hyd
    Hyd Member Posts: 379
    Options

I agree. I don't stress about this game at all but I do play Survivor to relax. Killer definitely takes 100% effort and requires your attention while Survivor, you might be chased, you might never see the Killer once and can just sit on gens...and ultimately I don't care if I don't escape so, I'm perfectly content with the little successes.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

Survivor can be relaxing if you're in a SWF. Solo i'd say it is more frustrating.

• Adamant_Tepig
    Adamant_Tepig Member Posts: 122
    Options

The general consensus seems to be in terms of hierarchy, from least powerful to most it goes like this: Solo queue survivor -> killer -> swf -> swf on coms -> swf on coms w/ OoO.

I know people generalize swf together, I just had to make the distinction.

Now as killer, in those rare situations with the last two it seems (which may seem more common at red ranks, but that might just be the stream rips that TrueTalent posts), there's a lot going against you. The killers are also not built equal. Some are weaker than others, so unless you're playing the best of the best killers with the best perks, it is a stressful time.

In the more common instances of solo queue and just normal swf, I have seen plenty of coordinated solos being good and non-full swfs being good too. I'm rambling here, so I'll get to the point.

The reason why survivor seems easier than killer is there's not as much going against you as opposed to killer. I think it really boils down to player skill though for survivors. Swfs on coms and Object can't save you if you're bad at the video game.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    Options

Simple answer - you make it stressful. If you don't mind, it don't matter - but if you just have to have that 4k every game, then yeah...it's going to be stressful because you placed that criteria on your performance. And with all the RNG in this game that is a road to madness.

• Adamant_Tepig
    Adamant_Tepig Member Posts: 122
    Options

And this is why I decided to set an easier to obtain goal for myself - every session I play as killer, I have a 'quota' of a 1 kill average across my killer matches (ex.: I usually play 4 or 8 killer games, so my 'quota' is 4 to 8 kills across all those games).

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    Options

That's for you I guess, but even that could add undue pressure. I stopped having any quota, what will happens happens and it seems to help my performance.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

Because the killer has much more to worry about. It's a 1v4 after all.

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875
    Options
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options

Because you have more to do as a killer, and people doing their best to make sure you don't have the time to do it.

Survivors have surprising control over the pace of the trial.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited December 2020
    Options

You just have to take care of more objectives and think it through a bit more carefully with killer, also time constraints.

Survivors you get to deadass run in a circle and hold m1, so stressful

Granted I don't find killer very stressful either, but some people handle pressure differently

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841
    Options

Because you're a one man team and have full responsibility for your actions, whilst survivors only share 25% of the responsibility.

• Zayn
    Zayn Member Posts: 365
    Options

Try solo survivor. I've almost exclusively played in solo queue for the close to 3 years I've been playing and to say that it isn't stressful is just wrong.

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

Why is SWF* so relaxing.

Not solo queue, lets get that established.

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987
    Options

I feel in control and more relaxed as killer, as a survivor I feel so stressed and bullied.

• Greatamygdala
    Options

Never said survivor wasn't stressful though? I said in Comparison survivor is pretty relaxing. Never got stressed as a survivor and like you I've been playing solo queue since I bought the game(2k hours) and at best annoyance that the teammates were dumb.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

If a videogame is getting to you to the point where you're finding it "stressful" to play, it's time to quit that videogame, and play something else because that's not healthy. Or if you're not gonna quit, you should seriously consider changing how you think about DbD and the way you play. It's only a videogame, it shouldn't be stressing you out, you should be playing it purely for fun that's what they're there for.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

With the killer the pressure is solely on you. Whereas the pressure is split with 3 other people when you're a survivor. So to me it makes sense that the killer is more stressful.

• Greatamygdala
    Options

That's silly mate. Anything that has some sort of competitive mindset to it can be frustrating to the person taking some semblance of seriousness to it that's including games especially when being a killer requires to have 100% it if you want to do good. There's nothing unhealthy about it, It's just competitive spirit.

It's unhealthy when you're taking it extremely seriously that it affects your personal life/health or how treat others. So please spare me with that holier than thou speech as this doesn't affect anything outside the game for me.

• Canas
    Canas Member Posts: 1,021
    edited December 2020
    Options

Because DbD as a game fails to be scary which means that survivors have little reason to hesitate in their actions. Killers should be the actual power role in this game, instead it's the survivors who determine the flow of the game.

• idektbh
    idektbh Member Posts: 129
    Options

I always played both sides more or less the same, and used to agree with u.

Now tho, I think killer is more relaxing since I have the control, and I main Clown, so it isn't about using an "overpowered" killer

I feel anxious every time I go play survivor now "will the killer tunnel me?" "will my teammates suck?" "am I going to face a killer with lose-lose chase situation?" idk...

While playing killer, my only concern is if I'm going against 4 man swf, not because I want to win, just because I don't wanna get "disrespect" and "bullied". I don't even mind keys that much, they annoy me but never enough to put moris(saying these even before moris nerf) or dodge

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714
    Options

Swf games are relaxing, in solo is a mess

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651
    Options

You sign up to be the bull and are harrassed by four rodeo clowns . Worse still - you have to stop them from escaping the ring. Do you know how hard it is to juggle four clowns? Stressful!

• freddymybae
    freddymybae Member Posts: 613
    Options

all survivors have to do is do gens and totems besides that nothing

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited December 2020
    Options

Because it's a survivor party game. 4 survivors, often playing with friends, not that there's anything wrong with that, vs 1 killer

How do you really think they're going to allow to have the most fun?

Maybe if they created this game and balanced it around the expectation that every survivor was very likely to die it would be better, but it isn't.

• deadbybums
    deadbybums Member Posts: 82
    Options

Funniest title ive read this week.

Survivor is absolutely stressful a lot of the time at higher ranks. Solo queue is a disaster. You've got to worry about 3 trolls, not doing gens, hiding in lockers the whole game while you work your ass off to get gens done and try to avoid a killer who is likely to tunnel and camp the crap out of you leaving you hanging in the air for 3 minutes til games over.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425
    Options

Its the pace of the game and the face the killer has to focus on one survivor at a time (usually). It would be nice to make it so the killer had more time to wander around the map and get pressure, I think the game needs to be slowed down. I also think second chance perks need to not work together like the devs are trying to make slowdown perks for the killer not work together (Why they won't comment on second chance perks is another problem...).

• Haddix
    Haddix Member Posts: 1,027
    edited December 2020
    Options

you are playing an asym game my friend. 4vs1.

while playing on the team of 4, your success is dependent on the effort of 4. your mistakes can be nullified by your team playing well (carrying you). you account for 25% of the team.

while playing on the team of 1, you account for 100% of the team. your mistakes are your mistakes, and nobody can make up for them or avoid them except you. EXPECT that to be the more stressful and frustrating role. that is the nature of an asym. you should not be playing an asym and complain about the role of which YOU are the only player on the team, against 4 other people who are on the same team, being stressful. no duh, man. if you want a less stressful role, play another game where you are not the sole player on the team.

plus, solo queue is not really relaxing man lol. in fact, the dependency on teammates can make the game MORE stressful. majority of teammates are as useful as my grandmother playing on a joystick.