How to key escape every match without bringing a key

Options

My SWF have been doing this lately and I'd like to share it because it's kind of genius. You equip Plunderer's and Appraisal (Ace in the whole is optional), put up a coin and/or blueprint offering to create more chests and determine the hatch spawn point, do the gens, find the hatch, and you're out. It's tough to give up the 2 perk slots, but your other 2 can just be the classic DS/Dead Hard. It's way easier to do with SWF, but SWF is not necessary for it to work.

But you're probably wondering, "Why do this when you can just bring a key in?" That is because right now, unless you quick switch to a key in the lobby, the killer is going to notice your key and play extra dirty to stop you from using it (camping, tunneling, using Franklin's, etc). With this strategy you can play around that whole thing, because the killer will only see you with a key mid-match and not before.

If this strategy becomes popular, you can expect to see killers actually using scratched coins and Hoarder to counter it. I think it's viable, especially in SWF. What do y'all think? You can try it out if you'd like first.

Comments

• voorheesgt
    voorheesgt Member Posts: 827
    Options

Have the killer equip hoarder too lol. The new killer perk is OP for survivors🤣

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Only works on noob survivors though and bad solo queues. You try that on a SWF and that survivor will throw every pallet on the map, use the ones you don't break again and like 3 or 4 gens will be done, and then if you try and camp that person the last gen is done, the SWF will 99 the gate, the other 2 will come to rescue the guy on hook and just borrowed time, take hits, he'll have decisive strike and an exhaustion perk so you won't kill anyone that game generally.

Like, trying to tunnel that hard when they are EXPECTING it, generally is beneficial to them. They may not get hatch but they will still get out, in fact everyone will probably. Versus if you play normally, that probably won't happen, switch to tunnel them later or slug them if needed but doing it right away is just setting yourself up for an even worse time than you are trying to punish them for.

It's self destructive, it only punishes yourself. That is WHY I take green keys sometimes, because killers do that and throw their match in a blind rage.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957
    Options

And that my friends is why keys are getting an extinction level nerf.

Shame that.

• Boddy604
    Boddy604 Member Posts: 183
    Options

You shouldnt ever just blindly chase one person. Im a pretty decent killer. Still keep up map pressure and play the game but while i'll usually let the guy who just got unhooked go & focus the other, i'll be a bit more aggressive on the 1st guy.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

Aww man,

I remember a match i had as nurse on coldwind yesterday where 2 survivor managed to find 2 keys in chests thanks to plunderers and escaped through it in my face.

Felt really awesome to get outplayed like that :(

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

How do you see which perks use beforehand? There isn’t anything you can do except slug every round if you’re really that paranoid.

But I already knew about this technique. It works even without the offerings but every little bit helps.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

The math works out to approximately a key in 1/4 of your games you search every chest, run Plunderer's, and don't bring any coins.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,832
    Options

I was trying to do the flashlight blind challenge, so I put on Plunderer's and Appraisal so I could get flashlights out of chests. (Didn't burn any coin offerings.)

In six matches, I got 4 [BAD WORD]ing keys and one flashlight. Four keys. One. [BAD WORD]ing. Flashlight.

Stupid RNG.

(For anyone wondering, I didn't manage to use a single key. I'm a killer magnet, not a hatch magnet.)

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    edited December 2020
    Options

As a killer, if I see survivors drop half of their perks and offerings and a lot of in-game time into searching chests for a key that 1) they could have just brought in, and 2) they might not even get to use, I'm fine with that. It'd be much worse if they just brought a key from the start, because then they don't need to waste time searching and can just rush gens.

There will be many matches in which you never find a key or in which you find a key but still end up with a worse result than if you had just rushed gens. There will be many more matches in which two more meta perks would have done more good for you than the key. Those will pay forward any hatch escapes you get.

I think this sort of build would be useful to farm for keys and I think it'd be a lot of fun to run, but I also don't think chest keys are much of a problem for killers.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,585
    Options

I don't.

But if I don't see a key when the match starts and I do later, people are gonna get slugged.

It isn't fun, but it's pretty much the best way to deal with a key.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,600
    Options

You assume too much. We can get 5 gens done easy. But if keys are in the game... why not use them, you know?

• LittilAvindar
    LittilAvindar Member Posts: 255
    edited December 2020
    Options

We anticipate that kind of stuff, and just opt to leave the key in the chest until it's closer to go time. We did that against a Legion who was legit laughing at the end there, because we popped the last gen, went to the chest and grabbed the key, then literally trained to the hatch, rendering him unable to close it as each of us jumped into it. He would have to wait until the one survivor's jump animation was done, then try to move in, but the next survivor was jumping, and finally, I come fast-vaulting in through the shack window and hop in last. He was literally happy that the ending was so entertaining, and gave us a gg. But yeah, you won't see us with a key, because we don't carry it on our person.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,585
    Options

So, I should simply slug everyone at the beginning of the game?

I'm sorry, but what you're doing is pretty near uncounterable and a prime example of why Keys NEED to be nerfed.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

seems like a lot of work for a silly gimmick, could try to just play the game ya know?

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Lol apperently killers trying to play around keys is extra dirty.

Don't bring unfun items if you don't want an unfun time

• Anara
    Anara Member Posts: 1,297
    Options

This strategy is old and already popular, I saw many survivors doing it. I have a friend who only do chests builds and we always escape by hatch when i play with her.

• apathyinc
    apathyinc Member Posts: 451
    Options

Wow. SWF, keys, blueprints, DS/DH. You really like to play in easy mode, don't you?

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited December 2020
    Options

Not gonna lie if you wind up with 30 minute queues reset every time killers doge it'll definitely be deserved, the game would be better off without this kind of bs, including for the bait or pallet punching bag solo that has the misfortune to land in the filler spot in some 3 man lobbies too. this game needs to segregate anything above a solo or maybe duo in a queue that both solo survivors and killers can choose to never play in. god I hope the evil dead coming next year isn't trash

• smart212
    smart212 Member Posts: 136
    Options

damn i never bring key to the match even i solo survivor sometimes. My goal is only gaining pip and bloodpoints though. death is not an escape.

• SocialDistomancy
    edited December 2020
    Options

I did notice the potential in what opie did after the new dlc, but as a solo it wasn't so bad for me to try for an in match key a few times just to see how well the perks would work together. a twf doing it is a whole other story. they already can through voip negate some powers and perks, already remove their own need to use certain perks while having 4 slots free for others, no need to add this sort of behavior on top of it. pun intended

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    edited December 2020
    Options

That is either overstating or i am just unlucky. I run plunderers for months now in my solo survivor build, and i only get a key every 3-4 games. Do you buff the skill otherwise (coins for example), or do you just run plunderers? With all the dcs and hook suicide in solo queue, its just a good way to keep playing. otherwise, the alternative is to rejoin swf, but thats more boring because of how unbalanced it is.

• Equus
    Equus Member Posts: 322
    Options

If you don't wanna get tunneled after finding a key you just have to place it somewhere on the ground and go get it in the endgame. I never run around with keys since it's like waving a red flag to a bull.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583
    Options

"So this topic is about escaping without bringing a key?"

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,600
    Options

We all need to experience easy mode every once in a while. It's why I disagree with moris being nerfed.

• SocialDistomancy
    edited December 2020
    Options

well killers can't enjoy blowing off some steam and drying some sweat any more so don't be surprised when it has an even lower retention than it already does as more get burnt out and tire of it. taking a break on a long night through a mori at least kept a killer in queue and provided a match with a killer, and assured they wouldn't be afk unless it was not something they'd expected to need to do. Now some of those killers will remove a killer from the queue and play something else instead the rest of those evenings and some in time will remove the game entirely from their systems if it's frustrating enough on a regular basis for them. Not everybody is leet streams, and I've watched some of them struggle against the higher ranked twf groups using even the better killers sometimes while calling things out play by play. Imagine how people not nearly as sweaty feel dealing with that bs. And not everybody wants to become a human calculator when they're probably playing the game to just blow off some steam or have a little fun. If they don't make killer fun, they're gonna start bleeding them out over time at this point and keeping very few new to that side that try it out and are turned off from it. I understand whys treamers continue to put up with it but not everybody gets paid to entertain survivors all night. goatsie can insult killer players all he wants but that's not gonna stop them from giving him the same finger back he's been giving them the past 4 years. They'll just maybe take that 'advice' and check civilization out instead and never come back.

• Skysair
    Skysair Member Posts: 88
    Options

I love using Plunderer's / Appraisal / Ace in the Hole, but do I use it to get keys? Hell no.

I'm going for purple beamers. If I happen to get a key, I'll leave it somewhere in a memorable spot.

I will only opt to use it if the game's basically over or if I didn't get a precious purple beamer.

Up the RNG for more flashlights and less keys please. I just want to add more beamers to my collection. :(

• AzazelTheFallen
    AzazelTheFallen Member Posts: 17
    Options

I dont think Im overstating it, it could be that Im just really really lucky, I dont usually bring coins no but I do usually open pretty much every chest. Dont get me wrong, I do still get brown medkits/toolboxes with plunderers every now and again but I do get really lucky with keys. I usually find a purple or pink key in the basement (not that the location of the chest matters).