I feel like DBD has been scaring off new killers

Pipefish
Pipefish Member Posts: 331
edited December 2020 in General Discussions

This goes at least back to the Billy rework in my opinion. They made Billy a higher skill ceiling with his overheat mechanic and add on changes. Next they plan to give Freddy more of a skill ceiling. Not to mention the mori nerf that gave bad killers a chance to at least do decent. Its getting harder and harder now for new killers to play and excel.

I ain't referring to veteran killers by the way. You all got ruin undying which is overpowered if you know how to play the game. However if you are a new killer I feel this game is becoming more and more unwelcoming. Or maybe its just me, what you all think?

Edit: I forgot the matchmaking issues. Yeah that definitely takes the cake for the new players biggest struggle.

Post edited by Pipefish on

Comments

• sQuAde
    sQuAde Member Posts: 32

"often" like 1/10 matches ? Also, its not an issue if they're getting high rank survivors sometimes - as a matter of fact, that's good

they'll get a taste of how high rank survivors play, which it ain't a big difference because the general IQ between rank 1 survivors is below average.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

i would say new players in general have a bad time getting into this game. It’s of course different if you start with friends that are experienced in SWF but being a new soloQ surv is not any better than new killer player.

• R52G
    R52G Member Posts: 257

I feel. I started playing last March (2020) and I struggle a lot with playing killers such as Hillbilly, Nurse, Huntress, Deathslinger, Blight, and others to a point where I just think that I’m just bad as killer. I’m okay as other killers but not good with certain ones. I wish they’d do something where it would help people like me be able to practice these “higher skill” killers so I don’t look like an ass trying to saw through a tree when I aim for a survivor.

• sQuAde
    sQuAde Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2020

its not ridiculous lol, you will eventually get players 4+ ranks above your current rank

and it does NOT happen all the time, and you literally exaggerated a lot by stating that we """""""""should"""""""" match rank 20 survivors with rank 1 killers

that doesn't happen since 2017, and that's that. You will go against good survivors eventually, fact. You will get high rank killers such as 11-7 if you're 13, fact. The rank fluctuates but it doesn't fluctuate up to 10 RANKS. Your examples are completely ridiculous.

• FattiePoobum
    FattiePoobum Member Posts: 293
    edited December 2020

I don’t see why, killer is actually really strong when you first start playing.

Then the higher you go ruin+undying+tinkerer does the job for you.

new map reworks with huge dead zones and unsafe pallets.

honestly if you arnt playing against a sweat squad swf, you should be getting kills.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

"Also, its not an issue if they're getting high rank survivors." You literally just said that it doesn't matter, so why shouldn't we match new players against veterans? Unless, of course, that getting constantly stomped on by people isn't fun and conducive to a good experience.

It actually still happens. Either the MM screws up or their is a SWF. Rank takes the average of the 4 Survivors and tries to find a Killer within a few ranks of you. If your average Rank is 8, then the ideal Killer would be 6-10, for example.

However, since there are so many Survivors in Red Ranks, this often gets expanded to include more populous Ranks of Killers, which is why Rank 18 Killer's get matched with either Purple or Red Ranked Survivors fairly frequently.

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775

Matchmaking will probably be the biggest culprit.

You'd be surprised how often a low rank killer will run into green ranks, or higher.

Not just teams of them, but people powerleveling their homies. Neither one are likely to show mercy, or care they're stomping a 1 perk killer.

• RamblinRango
    RamblinRango Member Posts: 389

Dead by Daylight has been around for a few years now, everyone is a pro or they watch a YouTube video and know how to act like pros

It is hard being a new anything in a game with years on it

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,710

I don't think you can really call a perk combo OP if it can be removed entirely in as few as two bones if you're lucky. I kinda agree with the rest of the post though.

• Buckoben
    Buckoben Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2020

Hey remember that matchmaking doesn't work with brown and greens going up against red ranks all the time, but no need to throw a bone to the newer player that are getting stomped, oh wait they're leaving en masse 😱.

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

The game is so much easier for new killers than new survivors, and it's not even close.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951

Thats fair, oh by the way, DS BT DH and UB would like a word with you. After all if you are doing bad you shouldnt get the escape in the first place

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

I couldn't agree more. I started up a second account on Xbox (my main account is on PlayStation) and I use the second account to test out Killers I generally don't play with. Last night I played my very first Ghostface match. I was rank 20, and only had three level one perks to my name. Everyone else was purple rank, and had maxed out perks. After the experience I just had, had I been a new player, I never would have even considered playing another game.

• aGoodOldRub
    aGoodOldRub Member Posts: 267

True same reason keys should be nerfed too because it only helps bad survivors just like moris helped bad killers. It sucks on both parties when you are doing so well then boom mori ez game or boom key ez game.

• XXXPrinnyGodXXX
    XXXPrinnyGodXXX Member Posts: 31

It isnt just new killers just trying different killers even if you are seasoned is terrible due too the rank system. New players also dont have access too many useful perks so even if they do well once they hit purple they are DOA. With killers you are solo so you could get a match with 3 survivors like you but odds are at least one of the is going to be specced to bait, save, heal, ect

• JimPickens666
    JimPickens666 Member Posts: 326

Its not just new killers its old killers too and whats so ######### stupid is its for survivors but all they do is make the survivor side worse! They just nerf the ######### that makes playing killer worse, that's not the same as making survivor better! It makes survivors worse because it makes killers play in less fun ways to try and win, making the game worse for everyone! I just don't get what kind of balance that is

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,774

Sucks trying to talk friends into playing this game. Taking newbie survivors into a SWF can help some as i explain what to do when, and what the killer can do. Luckily my rank hasn't been screwing up the lovely matchmaking, and I die getting everyone else out.

So they learn some, and the newbie killer learns some, but it's a poor azz substitute for a thorough tutoral. And it doesn't really prepare anyone for solo play either.

• JPLongstreet
  • JPLongstreet

You said something nice about console.... I don't know what to say............. hmmmm ty

• Well for now haha, supposedly crossplay will get chat someday down the line. When that happens I'll probably hate them as much as I hate most of the PC players too haha.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,154

Well it feels like the game itself is slugged and bleeding out since the new broken and unfinished chapter and the isolated moris nerf (necessary as it may have been) without equilibrium feels like an additional kick in the nuts for some people.

It's funny that many people argument that behaviour tries to keep the side with more potential income (survivor) happy but on the other hand the also necessary smaller side of killer starts to dwindle.

• FondaDix
    FondaDix Member Posts: 173

You're totally right. I'll be honest, I think I'm a rather good killer main. I've adepted every killer but Nurse. I play on console. I wish they had an empty training wheels map just so I could blink around and really get to know her. Every time I play her I blink into walls and blink into the basement and just all over. I'm the worst Nurse you will ever see. I just want an area where I don't feel that I'm wasting people's time trying to GET GOOD.

Now that I have to try and reclaim my Adept trophies again on PS5 as they don't carry over from the PS4 I want to make an honest go at getting hers. That being said she is at the bottom of the to-do list as she's just way too tough. It just amounts to me putting on her Match Box add on and turning her into a m1 killer, ugh.

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,241
    edited December 2020

Look you've got a point. I do think they are making some things harder for newer players but A) it's often for good reason and B) they are making things easier simultaniously. Look how much easier bubba and doctor are for new players to begin with now, great first picks and killers I would reccomend starting out on.

Also if you weren't around before the billy rework then you never would have experienced billy without a cooldown so technically you wouldn't know any different, even tho it does suck.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

I don't think Bubba is easier for newer Killers now.

LF has to manage his stacks correctly, otherwise, you waste them and are basically playing him how he was played before the change.

Besides, he's DLC and most new players aren't going to buy him before they play a bit.

--

Since you don't have to stance change with the Doctor he is mostly easier. He did have passive Madness generation before but once you started changing your stance then things would get more complicated.

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

I enjoy playing killer because I hate jump scares and being chased. Tutorial barely helped and most of what I learned is through playing the game and stream/videos.

There's no way to practice killers and strategies so in general it deters killers from even branching out to uncomfortable territory.

Now that I'm getting the hang of the game, understanding the perks, strategy is naturally forming but it took months of trial and error to get here tbh. Then to try a new killer keeps you at the higher rank vs. Resetting.

I'm currently rank 16 btw, so I'm still learning what I like and don't like as far as killers but right now I enjoy Doctor and Twins.

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

I'm sorry OP, but Freddy definitely needed a skill cap. The fact that BHVR let new Freddy into the game and waited over a year to really nerf him is kinda insulting to survivors. Freddy is the only killer in the game that has everything in his kit (Anti-Loop/Anti-Gen, etc...) with absolutely no consequences to bad play and no real counter.

I cannot wait for that nerf.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649

I still can’t believe the mobile version got a Training Mode while PC and console DbD did not.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

Disagree.

The game has become increasingly killer-friendly over the years. This game was hardcore survivor-sided 4 years ago. They've made the game much fairer for killers over the years. Tons of changes have been to the benefit of killers - removal of vacuum palettes, addition of bloodlust, auto window blocking, endgame collapse, brighter maps, brighter clothing, complete rework of maps to remove god loops, the list is endless. Most recent change that isn't a general change to the way the game works? Undying. Ridiculously OP perk. Believe me, killers have it easier than ever in the past four years this game has been running.

They've also tried to make it so killers aren't braindead and OP with little effort. Which is a good thing and not a bad thing. Entry level killers can still killer entry level survivors pretty easy. The game is a lot easier for beginner killers than it is for beginner survivors. Meanwhile the killer abilities are being made more skill-based so you ahve higher levels of power available later on when you get better at the game. This makes ranking matter so that killers at low ranks theoretically can fight less able survivors and not dominate, while as you go up in ranks your mastery of your powers gets better. (Theoretically -- this is not the case right now with the broken matchmaking and ranking system).

But it is not a bad thing to make killer powers more skill-based with higher skill ceilings.

That said the game in general is hard to get into for new players, on either side. That's because it's an old game and you will not be matching up against new players ing eneral. You'll be matching up with people who have been playing this game for a while.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I think weak killers and bad map design are the biggest turnaways when it comes to new players choosing killer. Strong killers can still manage on good maps for survivors, but weak killers can not do anything if the survivors are good.

• Withered8

Doctor can be obtained with shards and leatherface is the cheapest killer dlc.

• Withered8

At the end of the day new players won't be using bubba's chainsaw to travel 20m+ and get instadowns on good loopers where possible, they'll be using it to break pallets and catch those rank 20 survivors who run into walls and stuff. Although bubba probably isn't the easiest killer, once you understand how his charges work it's pretty easy to get the hang of him, especially if you have basic game knowledge from survivor and other killers.

• Withered8

Here's my problem with the toxic survivor argument though, it's a problem with the individual players not survivor as a whole, and killer's can be just as toxic to new survivors if they want and compeltely ruin their game experience and any chance of learning or getting better, it is not a survivor only issue, it's a problem with the game as a whole.

Sure tiles were very busted, especially when there was infinites/double pallets etc, but where do you draw the line to stop nerfing survivor loops, because if they are continued to be nerfed, you will reach a point where there's nothing you can do to stop a good killer as survivor. Deadzones are no skill and boring for both sides, i would rather outplay a survivor at shack or a jungle gym (mindgameable and balanced loops) than hold w and catch survivors who have nothing else to do but hold w themselves. Insanely unsafe pallets also suck because there's no thought proccess or stategic thinking for me as killer to catch them at those loops, just walk around if they pull the pallet or a quick double back if they try to loop the extremely short loop.