Dead Hard's "Intended Purpose"

Raccoon
Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693
edited December 2020 in General Discussions

I know Dead Hard for distance sucks the fun out of certain chases for some people, but stating that this circumvents its intended purpose is incorrect:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Activate-able Perk.

You can take a beating. When Injured, tap into your adrenaline bank and dash forward quickly to avoid damage.

• Press the Active Ability button while running to dash forward.
  • During the dash, you avoid damage.

Causes the Exhausted Status Effect for several seconds.

Dead Hard cannot be used when Exhausted.

You do not recover from Exhaustion while running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dashing forward pre-emptively to extend a loop (instead of taking a guaranteed hit) or over a bear trap (instead of activating it) is still avoiding damage. These are the most common things people bring up.

You can also use it to avoid lots of other stuff like hatchets, spear shots, red puke, Pyramid Head's ranged attack, chainsaw hits, shred, and Oni's instant down - This is still avoiding damage.

Does it suck and feel cheap sometimes? Sure, but it's still using the perk for its intended purpose.

Currently, Clown's Solvent Jug (this will 100% be removed in the rework I guarantee it :-/ ), Demo's Whistle, and Mindbreaker are the only things that can actually counter it somewhat reliably (while the latter two are still dependent on positioning and survivor reaction).

The perk is ridiculously strong, and sometimes stupid, but it's still falling within its 'intended purpose' in these scenarios.

Comments

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,843

Don't forget huntresses hatchet addons

• Raccoon

Coincidentally, her and Demo are also up for add-on reworks....

I'm not sure if Pig is also up for one (Helmet Exhaustion Add-On).

• Raccoon
    edited December 2020

Dead Hard vs Nurse is painful, I 100% agree.

2x Perfect Blinks - Hit (FEEL GOOD) - 2x Perfect Blinks (after you have to wait through cooldowns) - Dead Hard = Extra cooldown.

It's riveting gameplay, really.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

Yes, it's technically correct that using the actual distance to avoid damage instead of the invincibility frames themselves accomplishes the perk's intended effect of avoiding damage.

No, I don't believe that's how it was intended to be used because BHVR has a tendency of not thinking certain things through (hello, Victor), but that's not something that can be really proved without developer input, so.

You're talking about the letter, i'm talking about the spirit.

And in the spirit of it, I think it'd be better to remove the dash and up the frames, 'cause again.. not much real counterplay to distance, outside very specific circumstances.

More fun, more fair, is all i'm saying.

• Raccoon

I'm almost positive that the majority of players would find their weapon simply passing through the survivor far more frustrating.

An easier solution would be to simply add a 1 second stagger forward (like almost losing one's balance) at the end of the dash that prevents vaults/pallet drops if that's what your intention is.

• Raccoon
  • OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Same,i've been practicing my nurse game lately and got quite a bit better but man nothing annoys me more than a survivor outplaying a perfect blink just by pressing a button :(

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767

Dead hard has been bugged since freddy rework (dedicated servers are not the issue because dead hard got broken with freddy rework 5 months before servers were a thing and even if they said they fixed it, it was never the same, servers just made it blatant).

There is no intended use of anything on this game, you have your tools and its up to you how you're gonna use them unless you're exploiting with clear bugs.

Curving as billy isn't an intended use yet its the way good billys play. Zoning with huntress, demo, slinger and ph is not the intended use of their power yet that's how everyone is playing those killers.

Dead hard should grant immunity during the dash which it doesn't anymore, so using it to get distance is not an uninteded use but rather a way to use it (which is not even that big since the dh animation has a 500ms stagger)

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075

I personally don't use it but that oni's perk that exhausts wounded players can be quite good especially if you're learning

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

Doubt it's because of those add-ons. I bet they'd lower the timers if they decided to keep exhaustion add-ons though. Then again, after making Mindbreaker better, they probably will remove them all together.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

i still think it shouldnt work on Bear Traps.

those things are designed to catch running prey, so why can you just avoid them by running over them a little harder than usual? (yes, you still avoid damage, but it makes no sense from a logical point of view)

poor Trapper has enough problems, he really, really doesnt need that... :(

• Saltjar34
    Saltjar34 Member Posts: 766

Not really. If you're greedy with your Dead Hard, you'll waste it and end up having no way to deal with the killer. Think of Dead Hard as the roll mechanic in Dark Souls. It lets you dodge critical or sometimes unavoidable attacks and letting you survive until you can counterattack. Is it broken good? No! And you can recover stamina while running in Dark Souls.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

I don't like Bloodecho on killers other than legion and plague.

It feels too inconsistent.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Dark Souls is Vs AI that isn't sentient and doesn't care about unfairness or its efforts being snatched away. DbD is Vs real people that have to put in a crapload of effort only to get "outplayed" by a button push with zero counterplay and no real skill.

Dead Hard doesn't require skill or timing or any of that. Killer too close? Aim and pull trigger. Done. Loop achieved. It's more difficult to hit a DS skillcheck.

And I can barely believe I'm saying this, but Dark Souls and DbD aren't comparable. They have different mechanics and different balancing systems and, on top of that, your opponents aren't AI and deserve to have their efforts rewarded.

• StuWalesSaS
    StuWalesSaS Member Posts: 3

What I would like to see is an added dynamic of pallet when you are close to survivor,they pull that pallet over so easily and,that's it the killer is stunned. What if there was a dynamivmc where the killer,prevents it from blocking his path. So try and picture it survivor pulls over pallet but befor the action is complete your killer is that close could stop it being dropped.

Fyi guys also I think he trapper Is in the top 4 killers in the game.(used correctly) he's a trapper so well thought out trap placements and being aware. Of your environment and you've got a 4 Survivor BBQ

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

That would make dead hard terrible. It's the same as dead harding in the middle of nowhere with no pallets or vault it would be useless to dead hard. I might as well not even used it.

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481
    edited December 2020

A lot of the hatred of DH is residual hatred of when pallet vacuums were a thing and it could extend a chase by like a full minute on its own, because weak loops didn't exist.

I think DH, when the maps are balanced (Glad Ormond has actual deadzones now, lets do Hardonfield next!) is one of the more interesting perks in the game because it rewards very skilled survivor play to extend a loop, and encourages killers to think more about respecting pallets or not, or if not used to extend a loop, it rewards killers for being smart and does literally nothing if played around. Its fairly dynamic now, and low key I think its worse than Sprint Burst at the moment. With the way maps work right now I would rather get a bit more distance early in the chase in a way that makes it much easier to plan my route and avoid deadzones even if I am near a gen there, than to get the option to try to bluff out and dodge a hit or get an extra loop sometimes, especially as you can do similar stuff with Sprint Burst anyway by 99% it or baiting a swing when the killer starts the chase by walking.

Obviously, that is personal preference though.

• dspaceman20

Wouldn't that make basement trapper to strong? Genuine question. The only way I see getting out of it is by using dead hard.

• dspaceman20

I Would disagree and say that dead hard does take skill. It takes skill to know when to dead hard to a pallet or vault at the right moment to be able to vault and throw down the pallet. I think people who say it takes no skill because you press a button is thinking about it too narrowly. This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt and if you disagree thats fine as well.

• dezzmont
    edited December 2020

Trapper is so territorial that him being very strong at basement is fine. Like the basement SHOULD be a Very Bad Place (TM) where if the killer is remotely prepared he can lock you down. He either is setting up near basement anyway (so a basement rescue is unlikely in the first place), or he is travelling to basement and leaving his nest during chases and should return to find his nest disarmed and his prospects destroyed.

Basement traps are basically akin to a free territorial imperative. So if you think trapper basement traps are OP, territorial imperative should be too.

Not to mention that it isn't like Dead Hard is the reason Trapper is kept 'in check.'

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

I don't get your point, tbh. I haven't seen anyone claim it's not its intended purpose?

It's a dumb perk that needs completely changing, though.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

Imo I like the idea of Dead Hard but it has its problems!

Since servers people tend to be exhausted on the ground and thus the birth of DH for distance was born! If DH was more riskier than I wouldn't care if it was used for distance.

Do I think DH needs to be nerfed? Yes and No! I would lock survuvirs interactions for 2 to 3 seconds so that the perk still has counterplay, but it can be used more tactically.

And yes I do play survivor I just stopped using survivor meta perks because My gameplay wasn't improving

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075

I agree, that's why I don't use it, it's very situational. Was just saying because someone I know who was learning nurse said that it felt pretty good

• dspaceman20

I don't think basement trapper is op. (I honestly don't know how I feel about it.) But I don't see a way to really escape a basement trapper.

• dezzmont
    edited December 2020

On larger maps I think it is trivial. But part of trapper's intended strength is his defensive, territorial play.

Put another way, back in THE DAY every hook was a basement hook for trapper, because he could untrap the exact singular point you were able to unhook from back then, and while it was a very NPE thing that deserved a nerf, it wasn't really OP.

I think being basement hooked by trapper, twins, demo, and to a much lesser extent hag (who has problems but isn't really far off enough to really need a nerf) leading to pure despair is fine. These killers have area control as their primary mechanic, and the only purpose of area control is to... well... control areas. Trying to make it so its possible/easy to escape the basement from these killers is missing the point of them: certain parts of the map are meant to be SIGNIFICANTLY more dangerous for the survivors in exchange for their powers often not working great in others.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

you can disarm the traps, so all it takes is one more guy upstairs that messes with the setup and you're out.

people were able to deal with basement Trapper prior to Dead Hards existance after all.

• Alphamav
    Alphamav Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2020

Sheesh, just have survivors yell out "PARKOUR" upon activation. Problem solved.