Is BBQ & Chili the biggest crutch perk for killers?

Options

Comments

• Bjario
    Bjario Member Posts: 313
    Options

I really can't play without it! I want to! but... Ya know.. Bloodpoints <3

• Woot1234
    Woot1234 Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2021
    Options

IS BBQ & CHILI THE BIGGEST CRUTCH CLUTCH PERK FOR KILLERS?

Fixed title and YES for BP bonus and discouraging camping

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

BBQ is only really useful on high map pressure killers.

everyone else just runs it for the BP.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

stop saying everything is crutch, it's in the game. I'm surprised mouse and kb isn't considered crutch, or those damn crutch headphones...

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178
    Options

I mean, I guess it depends on what you mean by crutch. I mostly see the term "crutch" used for perks that people can't play without because they help them win, have powerful effects, etc;.

While BBQ's effect isn't bad, I think most people (including myself) just use it for the extra BP. I wouldn't call it a crutch at all.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,671
    Options

Requires hooking multiple survivors, leaving the hook, and winning chases to activate?

Seems like a very fair perk from a survivor perspective.

• TatsuiChiyo
    TatsuiChiyo Member Posts: 687
    Options

I would argue it isn't as it's primary purpose arguably is to track Survivors. Solely on that, it loses to other tracking perks that can, again a debatable point, do the job better (Spies, Infectious Fright, Bitter Murmur, Rancor)

What gives BBQ its edge is the extra BP gain it gives on such a relatively easy requirement. Hook a Survivor and gain extra 25% BPs.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

No it isn't. None of the Perks are "crutch" when it comes right down to it. Next subject?

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

There's no such thing as a crutch perk. There are powerful perks, and there are weak perks. If you are committed to giving yourself every chance to win every time, you are using the powerful perks.

That's not to imply that there are no balancing issues around some perks -- there most certainly are -- but there will always be powerful ones, and people will always use those in order to help ensure a win. This is how any competitive game with a slew of different and variously powered options works.

• Avarice00
    Avarice00 Member Posts: 39
    Options

I don't know where you're getting the 90% from, but as a killer main who uses BBQ on every killer, It's just for the blood points. Saying too many killers use it, so it must be OP is a flawed argument because I'm certain a lot of people, like me, are using it for BPs rather than the actual in game benefit.

• rafajsp
    rafajsp Member Posts: 475
    Options

This thread remind a killer complaining about me using Object (for Book task ofc) and he had BBQ, Nurses and I'm All ears.

LOL

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,882
    Options

I’m not saying it’s op it’s a incredible perk for both sides I understand why it’s used to reduce the grind but it’s kind of upsetting out of all the perks we got bbq always takes a perk slot I just wish the bloodpoint bonus bbq gives was built into the base game so people don’t need to run this perk all the time

• Trashmaster
    Trashmaster Member Posts: 357
    Options

Don't think I have ever needed bbq for it's primary effect on any killer, survivors are most of the time so obvious that the perk is either there for those easy points or replaced with something actually useful

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

Most killers don't run it for the aura effect. It has such a high pick rate because most people are still grinding the blood web.

• Jakeyboy1992
    Jakeyboy1992 Member Posts: 12
    Options

No its not NOED is a crutch perk plain and simple

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
    Options

More of a "Why wouldn't I run it?" perk.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,685
    Options

I can easily do without it. I've done it for years. It's just one of the best tracking perks. It eliminates the situations where you look for people, go to a gen that nobody's working on, and then 2 gens pop because you didn't know people were at them.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,544
    Options

If you believe that crutch perks... it's more personal then general

My crutch is Whispers... I feel like I can't find survivors without it

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

If the OP was baiting then bravo, funny and you caught a lot. If this wasn't bait then...big yikes my dude.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    Options

A crutch perk isn't a perk you can't live without.

A crutch perk is a perk that fills a massive hole in your game and you rely on it because you are bad at something and the perk is so overpowered that it completely makes up for your lack of ability.

BBQ in some ways is a crutch perk but not really. Its main purpose is tons of BP. The Aura Reading is pretty nice but killers don't rely on it to find survivors. It's a huge bonus and there are time when it really helps, and some builds rely on it heavily. But BBQ is far from a crutch perk.

And I say this as someone who has hated BBQ for ages and believe it is one of killer's most OP perks.

Survivor for instance has Iron Will. Iron Will is not a crutch perk, but tons of survivors rely heavily on it. Staying away from the killer is a matter of skill, but no amount of skill will stop you from crying out so loud when injured that everyone can tell exactly where you are. Iron Will serves a purpose that enables certain playstyles, but it's not a crutch. You simply can't do without it if you want to consistently stealth the killer.

A crutch perk is something like DS. It's something that enables you to loop the killer for much longer, but a good looper can loop a killer even without it for a minute or more. It isn't essential to loop at all, but it's a crutch that is used by survivors who aren't good at looping to extend chases. And even saying that, DS isn't completely a crutch perk because it has legitimate use as a means to help prevent getting tunneled and killed off early.

What killer perks are crutch perks? Well right now I'd say Ruin/Undying. Gigantic crutch perk combo.

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

it got up to 8+ counters. And the only reason people run it cause the grind is ######### ridiculous and BHVR refuses to do anything about it.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Honestly, if BBQ wouldn't give bloodpoint boost, I would only use this perk on Huntress and Billy. All the rest of my killers don't really require bbq auras much.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

BBQ and chilli a "crutch perk"....dear god.......

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,251
    edited January 2021
    Options

Survivors: Noed rewards (1 hit down) bad Killer

Killers: BBQ rewards (gives aura after hook) good Killer

Survivors: wait, thats illegal. We're gonna use 16 perks reward bad play then.

Bitter murmur is a much better choice if combine with Noed. Many killer just camp,tunnel and survivors die on 1-2 hook. Its rather to have Killer using BBQ than camping.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

So now bbq is a crutch perk, yup the dbd community has fallen this low, next thing monstrous shrine is a crutch because people die faster on the basement.

• Krunga
    Krunga Member Posts: 159
    Options

Saying BBQ is a crutch is saying Dark Sense is a crutch.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

"Crutch perks" are usually refered to as sometging you need to win.

Killers don't run bbq to win, they run it for bp. There a ton of tracking perks way stronger then bbq.

If anything they are handicapping themself by using a perk with so many counters.

• rafajsp
    edited January 2021
    Options

It has a lot of Drawbacks like:

• Meyers
    • Ghostface
    • Wraith

And finally it gives your location too.

Also i rather using OOO than DS wich is way more problematic.

But people just like to cry for everything.

I really don't know what is the problem with ooo.

• Klakky
    Klakky Member Posts: 444
    Options

Not if u abuse the gen bug where ur invisible behind gens that devs refuse to solve, and myers is only invisible in T1 that's such a horrible example...

U obviously haven't seen really expert swf teams using ooo without u even able to see them

• Stealth
    Stealth Member Posts: 123
    Options

There's a difference between being offended and pointing out that someone is simply wrong.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

The Problem is SWF. When the whole group knows at every moment, where the killer is. Than thats a huge issue.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

You can point out that something is wrong without getting emotionally bent out of shape about it, and some people here aren’t doing that.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    Options

Even just using it to gain BP is problematic. That's why every killer is running powerful addons every game and it's why there were so many pink moris running around before they got nerfed.

I've long complained that BBQ is overtuned and OP. A lot of people like to talk the perk down and say "it's just for blood points" but if BP weren't so important and powerful for the killer then maybe less people would be using BBQ. Survivors don't use WGLF and that's "just for blood points" and even after the buff Survivors still almost never use it.

Fact of the matter is a lot of killers run BBQ because the Aura Reading is clutch. This is hard to deny I see a lot of killers wrap up the 3K and 4K because of BBQ's Aura Reading. That's on top of the massive BP gain that lets them afford powerful addons.

And I've long challenged everyone. If you're just running BBQ for the BP, then it should be fine to nerf and remove its aura rading right? But every killer I've seen refuses to acknowledge that and keeps saying, "No, it's perfectly balanced and well-designed!"

Whatever. You can walk the talk or you can keep quiet.

BBQ is an overtuned perk but nobody wants to admit it.

• rafajsp
    Options
  • rafajsp
    Options

The thing is Perk has a lot of Drwabacks.

And for SWF is abuse for sure and i agree with you on SWF part.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089
    Options

Not really a crutch better on some killers than others

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

Killers have bbq and chili and Survivors have we're gonna live forever (wglf).

Both promote healthy and advantageous playstyles on their respective sides and I hope neither one ever gets nerfed.

Anyways to actually be on topic, I'd say the biggest crutch killer perk is NOED

• Anzardinho
    Anzardinho Member Posts: 10
    Options

Most killers use BBQ and Chili because the grind of this game is just way too long, and having a perk that can double your bp per match is very important for most people

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,004
    Options

Honestly half the time i forget i even have it equipped, and when i do remember its more just giving me a general status of the other team.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    Options

Whataboutism is the hallmark of an illogical statement. It is the assumption an enviroment in which the statement your focused on is in no way related to the item your discussing but dbd is a time trial based game so everything matters. Its impact however can be debated and in many case carious mechanics matter. So saying no stop talking about x item when x item is affecting the win condition of x side is moronic. Don't believe everything `you hear actually think about the statement.

On the matte4r of bbq its a very easily countearable perk so much so I run an additional tracking perk usually thrilling tremors or discordance. I highly recommend you use the perk about 30 games in red ranks youll see that as far as crutches go its pretty garbage. Crutch perks is also kind of a ridiclous statement you won because of an item or perk in the game not really you just exploiting a broken mechanic. Any competitive fighting,shooter or moba game player will tell you the same thing they play what's best its not a crutch is the meta.

You can appreciate the person who locks in the meme build the weaker character but that dosen't make them the best players. That is indisputably the one who plays the strongest build the strongest character well and wins.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

I run it for the BP's the tracking is a bonus.

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,002
    Options

In particular the grind for killers just got harder as there are so many wasted BPs with Mori's in the web now that they are useless.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

To be honest, half the time I forget it’s tracking abilities. I use it for points mostly. Usually by the time I remember that it shows auras for survivors, it’s already faded.

• Woot1234
    Woot1234 Member Posts: 139
    Options

I run BBQ and frequently come up with no aura readings because you can hide behind a gen or in a locker. Even if I get an aura, if the survivor is on the move it becomes hard to predict where they'll be when I close the distance.

BBQ also encourages killers to put substantial distance between them and whoever they just hooked. Seems like a well-balanced perk to me.

• Father_Dark
    Father_Dark Member Posts: 84
    Options

Yes, I use BBQ; however, as I was leveling my main killer, I didn't get BBQ until he was 46. I noticed when I swapped out the perk I was using, that I actually started losing more games (or not doing quite as well.) I use it for the blood points. My addons tend to give me pretty decent location on the survivors overall.

For a lot of killers Nurses Calling is a must have. Nurse was the first killer I power leveled (did not play) to get that perk. (Can't stand playing her.) I used that perk for a long time, but as I progressed in the ranks, it provided less and less information, so I quit using it.

Pop is another one that most/a lot of killers run. I've gone back and forth on that. I personally use Overcharge because I kick gens a lot. (Maybe I'm wasting too much time doing that...shrugs.) And, even at my current purple rank, I play against purple and some reds normally, a lot of them fail that skill check and then I know where they are.

BBQ, Nurses and Pop are the 3 most common perk combinations for people not running the ruin/undying combo. At least from the streams that I've watched.

Save the Best for Last is pretty popular too, but I don't have that one yet.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,003
    Options

I am VERY sure that people only use the perk because the amount of bloodpoints it gives you helps with this games overkill of a grinding system