The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Decisive strike should not have skill check

Decisvie strike should be (in my opinion) automatic instead of skill check. I don't see a reason why one should sacrifice a perk slot for an ability that may never present an opportunity to be used during a match, and in case it does, you have a good chance of failing it due to bad luck, lag spike, etc. Nothing rubs me the wrong way in this game more than failing ds not because of my own skill but because a technical hiccup.

Tell me what do you think. Do you find some meaning/balancing in having the skill check?

Comments

• Sunbreaker7
    Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 651

That is exactly the point of the perk. Why else would you take it? It is suppose to have an effect that you are willing to sacrifice the perk slot for. There's too many variables that makes ds an unreliable perk to use.

1. You fail the skill check
    2. You don't get a chance to use it at all beacuse no opportunity presents itself.
    3. The ds runs out of time.

Now, obviously 2 and 3 are part of the deal, that's the risk you take for something powerful that is suppose to keep you save. But to fail it due to a skill check feels like overkill at that point. Ds is the one and only perk that keeps killers from tunnel people after all. It gives you a second chance to fight against an unfair killer.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

Staying at a hook and downing a survivors untill the survivor is dead is hard?

• Dr_doom_j2
    Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 869

It actually can be. Survivors seemed to have forgotten over the course of the last year that coordinated hook strikes are effective and exist. Just because OG BT doesn't exist anymore, doesn't mean a safe extraction attempts don't still favor survivors.

• Mo4ntus
    Mo4ntus Member Posts: 416

you must be a low rank because ive never seen anyone over rank 9 facecamp

• Prex91
    Prex91 Member Posts: 764
    edited March 2020

Ok change only if it will deactivate when the user surv tap a gen, if ressed up. To make DS basekit is good only if it is a real antitunnel perk, not an invincibility peek, for rush gens.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

Imagine suggesting buffing the strongest perk in the entire video game.

• nea_isnt_a_killer
    nea_isnt_a_killer Member Posts: 36

Something you need to understand is that you aren't supposed to be able to be guaranteed to get away from the hook even if you get tunneled. That's the point of the game. It's called KILLER for a reason, you are supposed to be at risk at all times when around the killer. If the devs really took things the direction you're wanting then this game would rapidly die because nobody would want to play killer anymore. Survivors already have SO MUCH power and so many resources at their disposal to absolutely humiliate the killer in ways that should never have been possible in a game like this. Survivor could not possibly be more easy than it is now and it's sad to see that people still want it even more spoonfed.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

yeah.

also, every time a gen is repaired all other gens should be entity blocked for 30 seconds by default, cause genrush is no fun aswell.

oh and when a survivor crouches twice in a row they immediately die. teabaggers are no fun.

and pallets should be reduced by 95%. getting looped is no fun after all.

and while we're at it, why are there even 3 hook stages? having to catch a player multiple times cant be fun! a hooked survivor should just immediately get sacrificed.

also, how is it fun i need to hit survivors twice?? they should always be insta downable.

oh and stealth isnt fun, so i suggest having gigantic red arrows in the skies pointing directly at them at all times would be a lot better.

cmon devs, explain how any of these can be fun!

/s

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

well, if you only camp, ofc you will get genrushed.

/s

• Oicimau
    Oicimau Member Posts: 897

No skillcheck for DS? Yes! And no totem anymore for NOED! Yes!

• nea_isnt_a_killer

People gen rush regardless of whether the killer is camping. I find a really hard time sympathizing with your point of view because at this point it's starting to sound like you are just brand new to the game.

• XRuecian
    XRuecian Member Posts: 118
    edited March 2020

@Sunbreaker7 "I don't see a reason why one should sacrifice a perk slot for an ability that may never present an opportunity to be used during a match"

You mean like every hex perk in the game that killers have to use and might have instantly broken 20 seconds into the game and is fully countered by a map or several other perks that can find totems?

Why don't we also make NOED, Devour Hope, Lullaby not need totems, that way it can be guaranteed to get used every game?

Don't you just love it when a DS user gets off the hook and sits there and does a gen right in your face because they know you can't do ######### about it unless you want to waste your time on them? And then jumps in a locker when you decide to stop them from working on that gen because they know that if you open the locker they can DS you, and if you sit there and wait out their DS at the locker, that they successfully wasted 60 seconds of your time either way? And even if you did successfully get them off the gen and down them, then they call you a tunneler.

If you get off a hook and immediately run to the closest gen or hex totem, you don't get to complain about getting tunneled. You clearly didn't respect the killers power and thought that they should just let you work on objectives for free just because you recently got off the hook? If you were so worried about dying twice in a row, then gtfo and go heal somewhere.

I get that some killers will be dicks and purposefully track you down and kill you over and over to get a fast kill. But that doesn't mean you have carte blanche after getting off the hook and can sit there and teabag/flashlight me because you have DS in your pocket.

How about we first make DS no longer work if you jump into a locker, or work on a generator or totem right away, and once you heal to full you also lose your DS. THEN we can talk about making it default. Once you are off a hook and working on objectives or healed up, you are back in the game, FAIR game to down again. It's supposed to be an anti tunneling perk, but because it has so few limitations, all of the advanced survivors use it as a get of out jail free card instead.

• Sunbreaker7

I get your point. But maybe it's good to introduce my side of things a bit more clear. I have played dbd since it came out on all the platforms except switch. I play both sides, but more killer. I am rank 1 killer/survivor in every season. I know how things are stacked against the killer, and survivors are very powerful currently. But that is not what I am trying to push with auto ds. The auto ds is suppose to be an anti-tunnel perk, nothing more, nothing less. It has a timer to make sure you can't abuse it beyond its fair time zone. It has a purpose to carry, that is why you take the perk. If you can't carry that purpose, why even have the perk.

There were good points someone made that just the fear alone is enough to change the flow of the game. Yes, this is true. Even I fear to pick up survivors sometimes due to getting screwed by the perk, so it does balance things out sometimes, considering that the survivor might not even have the perk in the firt place. But fear alone is not enough to justify why the perk can fail sometimes. Again, you choose it in your build to use it. The fact that there are many matches you don't get to use the perk at all should be enough reason to balance the fear arguement.

By making the ds automatic, the perk can always be tweaked in other places to balance the change. I do understand it is a very powerful game changing perk as it is. But getting to use it because it is that one perk in your slot you are willing to sacrifice other useful perks for is a key factor here. I hate to use ds because more often than not I fail the skill check and feel like wasting my perk slot for something I rarely get to use. You can say: Well, git gud, but come on now, there are other factors than skill in place when hitting the skill checks and that's pretty much why I feel it should be automatic in the first place.

• Sunbreaker7

Yes! These are excellent ideas to balance the ds. I totally agree that jumping to a locker or working on a gen, especially if a survivor starts working on a gen, should disable the ds right away. These are the kind of balances I am hoping would be considered to counter balance the automatic ds change. This way it would be more of an anti-tunneling perk and less of something you can abuse to screw with the killer.

• PlantCollector
    PlantCollector Member Posts: 344

If DS gets changed in a way that the remaining timer goes to zero under certain conditions as some players suggested already, i think getting rid of the skill check then is perfectly fine in my opinion.

• nea_isnt_a_killer

I can see your point that other factors besides skill can affect the DS but really the same can be said for everything else in the game. Like, with the disconnect penalties, sometimes you may get DCed by the game or have an internet problem but that still doesn't mean the penalties aren't necessary. I feel the same about the skillchecks. The skillchecks are necessary to force players to learn how to hit them, especially since now ruin is nonexistent and there are few other things in the game that force you to actually learn with skill checks rather than just hold M1 to win. For how much DS can do to save your skin and give you a second chance it's a balancing measure to make sure that it's not a total get out of jail free card. Even with this being said the skill checks are still relatively easy to hit. Also lag spike does not affect skillchecks as they are clientside, lag will never be the reason you miss one.

• Sunbreaker7

I wouldn't agree on the lag part. When a game lags, I miss my timing, as that is something one can not count for to happen. It's iregular.

• rhodamia
    rhodamia Member Posts: 275

Ok so back to topic. Yes, DS skillcheck being ruined by lag is sucky. But the perk is redonkulously strong in the right hands due to being abuseable. Changes that could make it better:

Base kit? Up for debate after the rest of the changes are made.

Skillcheck/No skillcheck- Both are fine to me. Laggy skillchecks suck. Or maybe make it easier. I ONLY miss it due to lag. But I can see the issue presented. I guess removing the skillcheck is a "compromise" that could be made for the other necessary changes below.

Getting in a locker, touching a gen, or being healed result in DS deactivating since you were not tunneled and these situations are the ones that result in the most abuse of the perk.

If another player is hooked at any point, DS is deactivated.

Tada. A DS that actually stops tunneling and isn't completely abuseable.

• WRussoW
    WRussoW Member Posts: 715
  • Oicimau
    Oicimau Member Posts: 897

Lag does not affect sckillchecks. Its done in your side of connection and the result is sent to the server. Maybe, you getting a framedrop, very commom on consoles.

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550

I can sort of see this. Good players who like to bully killers will hit that skill check almost 100% of the time, while worse survivors who just don't want to get tunneled would be punished for not hitting it, which would nullify its use. The result of this would be that more survivors bully killers with ds, though, so I don't know if it's such a good idea.

• Humanarian
    Humanarian Member Posts: 230

So, you're uncomfortable with playing as a Survivor when your game lags? Well then... Try playing Killer. You won't stand a chance at all.

My point is that your problem is with the lag, not with the game. Get rid of your lag or just accept the consequences.

• Sunbreaker7

Not quite. While I do present the lag/framedrop, whatever you want to call it, as one of my argument points, I actually do have other reasons to change ds. We have discussed here for long now and people have come forth with amazing suggestions that could actually balance ds in a way that makes it anti-tunneling perk not abusable by pro players and killer bulliers. In the light of these suggestions, I do firmly believe that the game would benefit greatly from changing the ds perk based on the suggestions here.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

To my chagrin, the last time I equipped DS (and was "tunneled" that game), I missed the skill check...

Soooooo, for my sake, I may say, "skill check that's 80% of the circle, plz?"

• Awkward_Fiend
    Awkward_Fiend Member Posts: 687

Oh yeah, DS has a skillcheck.

Kinda forgot since it's not that hard and nobody ever fails it.

• KidDope25
    KidDope25 Member Posts: 117

It’s not the strongest perk. Widely known Unbreakable is the strongest perk and you not knowing how to counter DS proves how entitled you are. I never get hit with DS unless I’m dominating and feel like giving them another chance

• SkylarPup
    SkylarPup Member Posts: 112

I'm okay with Decisive Strike having a skill check. I think what they should do with it is if you missed it the first time, you will have a second chance on getting it. However, if you got it the first time you won't have a second chance on using it.

• SquillDBD
    SquillDBD Member Posts: 163

ah just another entitled post. It's a 5 second stun, needs a skill check.

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793

If you're such a vegetable-person that you can't hit a single skill check you deserve to get tunneled to death.

• BastardKing
    BastardKing Member Posts: 784

DS can go without a skill check, as long as;

It stops working if another survivor is hooked.

It stops working when you enter a locker.

It stops working when you touch a gen.

It stops working during end game collapse.

It stops working if you are the last survivor in the match.

It's duration is nerfed to 45 seconds. Tru3Ta1ent literally has a video where a survivor gets unhooked in his face, he downs them, cages them as pyramid head, hooks another survivor. Chases a third one. They remove the first survivor from the case. He does the first survivor again. Picks them up. And they STILL HAD DS.

• SaintDorks
    SaintDorks Member Posts: 252

I will state the only way I would approve of this is If only a Object gets to do It..And I do not mean the new thing where "You are now the OoO" I mean you would have to had been one before hand.

Object was a cool themeic idea when It first came out..Now,It is a damn meme for adding random/cheapshit.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951
    edited January 2021

What I love about the discussion is that in topics about balance, everyone agrees that no one misses the SC. However when the topic is to eliminate or reduce the difficulty of the SC, suddenly people think it is needed. The reality is people do miss the SC due to many reasons but often you hear: technical issues, lag spike, pressure, nerves, losing focus, forgetting, or just outright failing to click on-time. This of course is a tremendous benefit for The Killer that is tunneling, nothing like insta-downing a rescue and not having to deal with DS. I think the only thing that should be reconsidered is the deactivation of DS if you miss it.

• ACasualDoorMatt
    ACasualDoorMatt Member Posts: 21

Doesn't this remove the skill of using DS? The point of DS is high risk for high reward. In my opinion, I believe the skill check is somewhat easy but that's because I use it frequently enough to get used to it.