What do y'all feel is outdated in regards to killer and survivor mechanics?

Options
chieften333
chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554
edited January 2021 in General Discussions

Personally I feel that wraith as a whole is an outdated killer, even with the quality of life changes he's recieved. As well as the light burn mechanic that can counter him, unless he has uncloak time addons that enable him to exit before he gets burned.

Edit: another thing I can think of is the godawful killer FOV.

What do y'all feel is outdated and needs updating with survivors and killers?

Comments

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
    Options

Wraith and Trapper.

You can tell how made for a different time they were the minute you compare them to their contemporaries.

I mean, hell.. Spirit does invisibility better than Wraith. And she does it so good she's in contention for the best killer in the game. And does he really need to be able to be lightburned?

And don't even get me started on trapper. A not great killer with more counters than anyone else. You can dead hard through his traps. Small Game. Slippery Meat. Maps. Luck offerings.

For big scary slasher man immersion simulator, it's fine. But for a balanced video game? Nah.

• chieften333
    chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554
    Options

If they made that a timed interaction I'm pretty sure no one would complain.

Like around 12 - 8 seconds would be at least a reasonable escape time for bear traps.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Slippery meat doesn't affect bear traps anymore. They finally realised that was dumb in 4.3.0.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
    Options

It doesn't?

I literally haven't looked at the perk in like 2 years, damn

• Hyd
    Hyd Member Posts: 379
    edited January 2021
    Options

What mechanics are outdated? This game is 4 years old and the same basic killer/survivor strategies apply - Killer sees Survivor, Killer chases Survivor. Survivor sees Killer, Survivor loops Killer. Etc...

We need something to really shake up this dynamic, either via a new game mode, or new Killers with wildly different Powers and abilities. I know a game mode is likely not doable because, again the game is 4 years old, and the playerbase is probably too small to be split by more than 1 game mode without screwing the queue times even more than they already are. So, I came up with two concept ideas for Killers, fairly well detailed and fleshed out, that, via their Power, aim to force a change in the routine gameplay strategies.

The Angel: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/208641/new-killer-the-angel-weeping-angel-from-dr-who

The Architect: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/213621/new-killer-the-entitys-architect

Sadly, until/if there is a sequel, I don't think we'll see much change in the core gameplay.

• Moxie
    Moxie Member Posts: 806
    Options

I think Shadow Burn is the most outdated mechanic.

It is from the days when there were literally 4 killers. There is no reason to punish Wraith and Nurse (don't @ me) anymore.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

the luck mechanic.

why the f are Trappers traps affected by the luck mechanic???

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,349
    Options

Personally my biggest gripes with the game are currently :

- Hitboxes for both killer and survivor, I still don't understand how as survivor, a killer's weapon will be 6 feet away from me and still hit but as killer my weapon will go through a survivor's model and yet doesn't harm them.

- Exhaustion add-ons, these should have been changed way back with the exhaustion nerf

- Flashlights, pretty sure the beam not giving proper feedback is a known issue but I could be wrong

- Hag's traps moving your camera, I don't expect this to be changed but it pisses me off to no end

- Deathslinger (no explanation needed)

-The gap between solo and SWF

- DS and Unbreakable, DS is evidently a very difficult perk to balance, in its current form it can be easily exploited however the majority of change suggestions I see seem to remove a large part of the perk's functionality

- Stridor negating the effect of Iron Will (specifically on Spirit), Iron Will is a solid perk that has amazing functionality without being overpowered, it is also the only perk that gives a survivor a fighting chance against a Spirit while injured. Because of this, many Spirits have began to equip Stridor which negates the effect of Iron Will and removes Spirit's only weakness in chase which I think is poor gameplay design.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

certain addons such as tombstone, iri head and exhaustion addons don’t really fit the game anymore

on a side note some models look really bad. Best example is hillbilly in his default outfit vs his new rift one. It’s a massive difference

• Altarf
    Altarf Member Posts: 1,044
    Options

L U C K

(trapper and wraith too)

• Phasmamain
    Options

Wouldn’t call deathslinger outdated more just boring to fight against. Even as someone who loves playing him he pretty much leaves no opportunity for survivor outplay in his chase

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,256
    edited January 2021
    Options

Yeah this pretty well covers everything I was going to say. Granted I'm not sure what's wrong with P3 Ace you may have to let me know.

Regarding 12. Shrine of Secrets - I cannot count the last time I even bothered with the Shrine since I save my points for cosmetics now. To me the Shrine of Secrets is just a complete waste of time now even without cosmetics I already have most perks and the Bloodpoints I get for cashing in on dupe perks isn't worth it.

Luck is especially something I'd bring up. Outdated mechanic that's useless most of the time.

• DarkBanana89
    DarkBanana89 Member Posts: 3
    Options

The shadowburn mechanic is so out dated over half my wraith games survivors with flashlights dont even know they can stun me (or they're just not doing it). Perks like spies of the shadows (love it tho) or no one left behind. Both got nice changes but still just suck.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited January 2021
    Options

Lightburn is outdated and needs removed, Bloodlust is outdated and needs a rework, flashlight and pallet saves are at once too difficult/rare and too punishing or unavoidable (especially with the amount of slugging killers are already forced to do)*, Nurse is a broken, overpowered relic from a time long past, Deep Wounds is about as scary as just being injured normally... There's a lot of stuff that was meant for a different version of the game that's sort of just chugging along.

*Edit: I meant in relation to the current speed of trials, one save can and probably will lose a trial nowadays

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Lightburn and Luck

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    Options

Bloodlust

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531
    Options

P3 Ace just looks very ugly imo. It looks like someone sprayed him in cheep dollar store blood, and it's like weirdly coated to his body.

Once you get every perk the shrine is never useful, though I did use it when I first started playing.

Luck is also outdated yeah.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

Damaging generators is so ineffective now, the only reason you should ever do it is if you have pgtw.

The struggle on hook mechanic.

Wraith and trapper.

The bloodweb system for both sides as a whole.

• Ink_Eyes
    Ink_Eyes Member Posts: 561
    Options

The basement, Bloodlust and Luck.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

Grabs and hitboxes.

Grabs are so broken and outdated it's not even funny. They need to streamline them with the Servers.

Hitboxes, they claimed to be the way they are since at the beginning this was a melee only game and one that ignores if you hit the head or arm, makes no difference. Huntress was added, which just made them further use the statement of "things like headshots dont matter, so the hit box shouldn't either.

Nah, we don't care about headshots, we just want the hitboxes to be closer to the actual survivors' body. A giant pill ain't cutting it anymore.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

Luck and Lightburn are just forgotten and outdated mechanics in a lot of ways.

And all button holding/mashing is just kinda outdated in gaming in general. More and more games offer accessibility options that remove the need for them nowadays and DBD should really do the same imo.

• Chicagopimp2019
    Chicagopimp2019 Member Posts: 458
    Options

The whole struggle mechanic is a big one for me. I think the Silent Hill chapter showed us the way when they added skill checks to the cages of atonement. Then you actively have to focus on struggling instead of just mindlessly tapping the space bar.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,178
    Options

Poor core gameplay: Gen to Gate. Many applied for dynamic (Totem, Chest) are just optional. Which is why Gen rush will stay forever.

Hook mechanic: may be at this point, replace them with call in Entity to hook them in a spider like cage, and make it work like PH cage

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

Struggle. Dying thanks to fps drops sucks. Fps drops screw up skill checks so replacing with that is no good. Really they should just make it "press x to give up."

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

Looping.

It's just too bad it's 80% of the Survivor gameplay, so it can't really be revamped.

Still, i'd love to see this old ass mechanic be replaced, it's boring to me from both sides.

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 742
    Options

Hitboxes for survivors need to be made smaller to accomodate extremely unsafe pallets and insane server validation hits.

Bloodlust needs to be removed for killers that are 115.

Some killers should be buffed (Myers, Clown, Trapper, Wraith, and Ghostface come to mind...)

Some killers need to be nerfed or have a counter (Freddy/Spirit)

Deadzones should not be a thing and maps should have a maximum of 2 safe pallets outside of jungle gyms and the rest should be like those loops with the car on Springwood where its loopable but still mindgameable.

Extremely unsafe pallets shouldn't exist if they don't wanna fix hitboxes.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089
    Options

Pallets and wiggling and hook struggle I hope that sometime they replace some pallets with traps with unique effects that could work both ways

And I haven't thought for those other ones yet but I hope to see a different implementation to them

• handfulofrain
    handfulofrain Member Posts: 317
    Options

A lot of people seem to have confused the title (and especially the word "outdated") with the phrase, "tell me everything you hate about this game."

• JackTheMimic
    JackTheMimic Member Posts: 59
    Options

To push back as a wraith main, about light burn...it's fine. If I start to uncloak and someone starts flashlighting me, I stop uncloaking and go around a corner and start again. They usually start to try flashing me again, giving me loads of free hits.

As for the Trapper an easy fix for his bear trap mechanic is make it the same as the Reverse Bear trap boxes. If you get trapped you fill a release meter by holding action button and hitting rapid to occasional skill checks. This gives a general time frame of what amount of time it takes to get untrapped. Failed skill checks reduce progress and another survivor can help you get out faster (think the time difference between solo healing and double healing).

The most outdated mechanic in DBD? The Hatch. I know, I know it's been buffed and nerfed. The point being it rewards nothing but being able to physically be somewhere when all your teammates die. I think if the hatch were to stay (let's face it, it's not going anywhere), it should only be opened with a key and a key should only work with old generator rules (Openable if remaining survivors<=gens completed plus 1.) The hatch should always be visible from beginning of a trial. And the key only allows one survivor to escape at a time. If you as a survivor think your team is going to bite it? Make your first priority to do at least 2 gens and bring a key.

• DistortedDream
    DistortedDream Member Posts: 672
    Options

This is going to be a long list, But here we go:

• Oak Offerings
    • Luck Offerings/Perks
    • Mist Offerings
    • The Struggle Mechanic
    • Base Survivor Perks (Slippery Meat, This Is Not Happening, No One Left Behind, Etc.)
    • Base Killer Perks (Insidious, Spies From The Shadows, Monstrous Shrine, Etc.)
    • Older Killer Moris (Mainly Trapper, Wraith, And Hillbilly)
    • Light Burn
    • The Bloodweb System (Too much grind)
    • Perk Tiers
    • Tombstone Piece, Iridescent Head, And Redhead's Pinky Finger.
    • Exhaustion Addons
    • Addons That Award Bonus Bloodpoints
    • Old Killer Powers (Mainly Trapper and Wraith)
    • Old Character Models (Both survivors and killers)
  • Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    Options
    • Struggle mechanics -- seriously needed to be removed 4 years ago.
    • Camping, Tunneling and Slugging -- the game encourages camping and tunneling far too much. There needs to be changes to the base mechanics that discourage this sort of gameplay, but it's been 4 years. No wait 5 years now.
    • Looping - game needs less looping nonsense and more stealthing, you know because this game used to be a Hide and Seek game originally.
    • Gens - would it kill BHVR to think of new mission types for the new maps? Deep Rock Galactic started off with five mission types last year, today it has 7 as the developers added more mission types. Current batch of maps will be for gen type missions. There should be other mission types that require other objectives instead. Perks that work on gens will translate to whatever the new mission type is.

• Cable2486
    Cable2486 Member Posts: 249
    Options

.....No. If anything, each killer needs some form of shutting down the excessive exhaustion perks, and should have insta-down add-ons. Now they shouldn't be super easy to use (or abuse), but they shouldn't be removed as long as there are still exhaustion perks. Period.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

Mash-to-struggle.

They should just change it so that there is no input while on the second hook phase (that is, make it like hook phase #1, except you can't attempt to escape).

• maderr
    maderr Member Posts: 251
    edited January 2021
    Options
    • delays before any action as a survivor
    • no real teamplay features for survivors
    • hit registering is terrible
    • sitting next to a gen pressing M1 is pretty outdated too
    • that "latency" feeling everytime you do something, hitting, using a pallet, taking a window
    • the hook mechanic favoring camping and tunneling
    • RNG on maps bringing unbalance everytime
    • about unsmooth gameplay for killers : trapper (having to search for traps on the map, setting traps is too long); wraith (well, he needs a big rework); huntress hatchet throwing is not smooth at all; Hag has a no skill gameplay that has nothing to do in a multiplayer game
    • perks system is weak : too much diversity, too many combinations, too many useless perks - we just need 20 usefull perks that allow quality build diversity
  • Phasmamain
    Options

Exhaustion perks are strong but many killers have ways to end chases quickly to counteract that. As for instance downs slingers coin is pretty bad but I still feel they are too volatile to give to every killer