CMV: The first confirmed LGBT character should be either bisexual or trans

Options
123457»

Comments

• druggedpug69
    druggedpug69 Member Posts: 155
    Options

I just hope they don't make them so obviously (whatever they end up being) that they lose all relatability.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,265
    Options

I sure hope the first LGBT+ character is semi bisexual

• crowbarman
    crowbarman Member Posts: 499
    Options

Not untrue at all. Is the Nurse bisexual? You are assuming because she had a "husband", or that her name is Sally, that you can determine her sexual orientation. Maybe she is Trans and took a husband.

I think you should get with the times.

• crowbarman
    Options

I could care less if they write something LBGTQ in the lore, but it be odd if the sexuality of the character was dominate in the lore, rather than a passing reference like every other character. Otherwise time to move on. As I stated above, you can make any other character whatever you want it to be, unless you sterotype the term "husband" and names.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

I know for a fact she's not bisexual nor trans because the devs have already said they were only putting romance in the lore when it concerned cis heterosexual characters.

I think you should try engaging in good faith.

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 742
    Options

Why don't you just pretend Felix is trans?

• Orion
    Options

Because I'm not writing fan fiction.

Why don't the anti group pretend that any future LGBT characters are non-LGBT?

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

I'm talking about more than just this game, and the devs are saying it because it was pushed by various people in the community but anyways.

You don't see the significance because you're not an ass who would use that as a reason why I said it.

I just, don't get why representing the LGBT is so important nowadays. I don't consider myself a part of it as it seems unnecessary.

But my response is pretty much, why does it matter?

I don't see the significance. Just be who you are, and let others have opinions.

• Orion
    Options

But my response is pretty much, why does it matter?

This is an incomplete question. To whom are you referring, exactly? Because for some people it matters (in which case I think the devs are right for doing it), for others it doesn't (in which case it doesn't matter if it's done or not, since it's irrelevant either way).

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,259
    edited December 2020
    Options

If any defining feature of a character in this game about escaping death is that a person is LGBQT then they shouldn't be in the game. It turns them into a status / token character instead of their own thing. There shouldn't really be discussion past that point. The only way you can even reference a character is gay is maybe in the lore mention "While he was on his honeymoon with his husband" or something and that's literally that. There is no subtle pretty way to do this in this game it's just how the game was designed. Characters don't have a personality or voice acting or interactions with other characters so it just doesn't work.

Like at this point they're better off just adding in a tome indicating a currently existing character is gay. At the same time I guarantee not everyone will fancy one of their characters retroactively being the first LGBQT character added to the game because it either makes them a target for people annoyed with the community wanting to force this idea or it's going to make people annoyed their character was used as an experiment.

For example I am a gay man and I main Ace. I would be pretty annoyed if Ace was turned into that token gay character. These things are better left to interpretation or guesses rather than a "yeah this dude's gay" kind of thing.

Stop trying to force this it doesn't matter in this game. This is not a game where characters story matters.

• Orion
    Options

Stop trying to force this it doesn't matter in this game. This is not a game where characters story matters.

Nobody's trying to force anything, the devs said they were going to do it and that's that. This thread is based on that fact.

At the same time I guarantee not everyone will fancy one of their characters retroactively being the first LGBQT character added to the game because it either makes them a target for people annoyed with the community wanting to force this idea or it's going to make people annoyed their character was used as an experiment.

We already know one of the characters is non-heterosexual, the devs just didn't make it clear which one because they were restricting themselves. Just because a character hasn't had their past relationships mentioned in the lore doesn't make them straight.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,561
    Options

Representing LGBT the same way straight is represented is important to let LGBT people feel welcomed and normal. People of that community are often treated differently in their life and experience violence and much worse.

representing them in the media helps against hate, fear and discrimination. That’s why it’s also important to have not only stereotyped representation but diversified. And having those in multiple media including some horror video games just helps in the diversification.

• crowbarman
    edited December 2020
    Options

Where did they say such a thing?

So you are saying the devs officially have confirmed that every husband/wife reference is a heterosexual relationship and no characters are currently bisexual or other? That's an extremely odd claim. Link please.

Also, I question whether stating that Nurse had a husband who died is "romance", but I suppose it depends on the context.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334
    Options

I'm assuming Orion is basing his fact off of the official statement from Behavior regarding inclusiveness back in June. I'll post a screenshot of that section.

Even with the statement, I personally wouldn't say it's concrete evidence that those characters are heterosexual but that's just my opinion.

• Orion
    Options

It was implied by their tweet which stated they had been restricting themselves to heterosexual representation

Also, I question whether stating that Nurse had a husband who died is "romance", but I suppose it depends on the context.

The context is that she loved him and wanted to start a family with him.

• crowbarman
    Options

Got it. A single sentence about wanting a family and then her husband dying (lore doesn't mention love for Nurse) is the romance you are describing.

Their tweet may imply that they have never explicitly written about a LGBTQ+ relationship, but this doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The truth is that it's just not called out either way. I would expect any new character reference to have 1-2 references like all the others., which will make those without imaginations happy.

• Orion
    Options

Got it. A single sentence about wanting a family and then her husband dying (lore doesn't mention love for Nurse) is the romance you are describing.

What'd you expect? The devs aren't going to write a romance novel for every relationship.

Their tweet may imply that they have never explicitly written about a LGBTQ+ relationship, but this doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Yes, they also mentioned that afterward, that one of the characters that has already been released is LGBT. Since the devs are adding heterosexual relationships, it's only fair that they treat non-heterosexual relationships the same way.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747
    Options

I don't think preference matters in a horror game. Just play the game bro.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,561
    Options

oh. Sorry we didn’t know you don’t care about it.

we should call the devs and tell them they have to stop it!

• Capn_Callie
    Capn_Callie Member Posts: 2
    Options

I 100% agree, id love to see some rep in the game, especially if there was a new survivor who was a trans girl, id love them. People are complaining about how "it doesn't matter," they "dont care," they "dont want to see someone else's agenda being pushed," and "politics shouldn't belong in video games." All it is, is representation, straight, allo, cis people get represented everywhere, and having any LGBTQ+ in this game would not hurt you in anyway, rep may not matter to you but it matters to a lot of others, there is no "gay agenda" "bi agenda" "trans agenda" or "queer agenda" were all people who just wanna live our lives and see more people like us. Some people don't know what a bi person is or an asexual person or even a trans person, and representation, can introduce those people to them help those people realize who they are. And if you wanna politicize the existence or any queer person, you're a ######### human.

• Snowstruck
    Snowstruck Member Posts: 564
    Options

I hope they really don't add any LGBT characters.

Why?

People love to headcanon.

That's why.

My friend ships Kate x Zarina,

I ship Zarina x Edodie,

Jake x Cheryl..

Etc.

But not everyone would agree with these, obviously. If they specify an exact sexuality, people's headcanons are just destroyed :'(

• Terr0rwrist
    Terr0rwrist Member Posts: 67
    Options

This is what people care about in video games XD