The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Bar b que and chill - is it OP?

Comments

• Bumbus
    Bumbus Member Posts: 600

"Commenting on other posters is trolling", lol, this statement makes as much sense as "BBQ OP and unhealthy"

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

There's a number of counters to BBQ. Easy counters.

Locker. Count to 4. Come back out.

Hide behind gen. See where the survivor got downed? Move around to put the gen between yourself and the survivor.

No locker nearby? Walk in a direction. Count to 4. Move the other direction.

You're close enough to not be detected by BBQ? You're already countering it.

BBQ first and foremost, is a good perk because it gives BP. People who don't care about BP anymore almost often use any of the other tracking perks.

Tremors, discordance, surveillance, nurse's, etc. are all much better tracking perks.

Personally, when I started DBD. I got BBQ for its BP. Used it on every killer every match, because of BP. Now that I've got my mains leveled up with perks I want, I'm not using BBQ on a single one of them. It's not useless but it sure as hell isn't as good as many of the other tracking perks you can take instead.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,136

Well, no, you can't see where all the other survivors are. You can't see anyone who's within 40 meters of the hook. You can't see anyone who's in a locker. There are perks survivors run that can hide auras. And depending on the devs' whims that month survivors may be able to hide their aura by crouching behind a gen.

I was mostly referring to the BP, but the aura reading is nice too... when you actually see anyone with it. Most survivors know how to hide from it and do so. I'll go entire matches and never see a single aura with BBQ. As survivor, it's really easy to hide from it as long as I pay attention. I'd certainly rather killers run that than some of their other tracking perks. Whispers is a death sentence in certain scenarios. Bitter Murmur is one I forget about because I rarely see it, so when a killer does run it it's annoyingly effective. And Nurse's Calling on stealth killers can be very difficult to avoid. The buff to lockers so that they hide auras was a huge nerf to BBQ.

• Dennis_van_eijk
    Dennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,704

Hide in lockers before they hook someone if you suspect the killer use bbq.

Or run distortion which hides you or make sure you are close before the hooking.

There, see easy counter.

It gives extra bp which is always nice.

While we're at it and you complaining about the usage of the perk.

Next time you play keep a counter on how many survivors are using ds or ub or even both.

And if you whine about the aura reading perks, take a look at OoO.

Nice fair perk

• Father_Dark
    Father_Dark Member Posts: 84

I use BBQ on everyone of my killers that have it. I use We're Gonna Live Forever on every one of my survivors. Why? As a killer, it almost guarantees a 100% bonus to my BPs. (As survivor, it's hit or miss.) When I was ranking up my main killer, I didn't get BBQ until level 46. When I started using BBQ, my win percentage went down. Games were closer, and I wasn't as lethal. Why do I keep running it? Because of the BPs. To be fair though, typically every time I hook someone, there is at least one person who is away from a locker. But when I play survivor, as much as I know a LOT of killers run it, there are times that I'm not near a locker, or working on the gen is more important than running to a locker and hiding for a bit.

When my killer has every perk at Tier 3, then I'll stop using BBQ and go back to better perks. Right now, I'm using the BPs to power level my other killers to get their teachables.

• Father_Dark
    Father_Dark Member Posts: 84

OFF TOPIC

@sulaiman how do you keep stats? What all do you track? Just curious.

(I would have sent via private msg, but can't seem to figure out how to do that on these forums.)

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I Just have an excel spreadsheet.

I track the map, the killer, killer rank, Killer perks, number of kills, whatever he was camping or tunneling by my standards, number of gens done, and for all survivors rank, perks, and items, and whatever or not escapes included hatch and/or keys, as well as dcs and hooksuicide (and note if i think it was a genuine dc, because those happen too, but far less than the "got downed-dc". Also i have a comment-category where i keep track of things that make the game "special", like games where they only hookfarm, dont do gens, instaddown addons and stuff.

I would like to also note number of hooks, because i think gens done vs. number of hooks is a better metric to analyse game balance instead of just kills vs escapes, but i usually cant remember how many hooks happen.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425

No it is not. It has counterplay built into the game with lockers,and has multiple perks that counter it as well. Unlike DS or Unbreakable.

• Malum_Midnight
    Malum_Midnight Member Posts: 366

So let me confirm: you want to nerf a perk that rewards ant-camping and anti-tunneling, seem to have a problem with people wanting bloodpoints, and don’t have a basic understanding of game mechanics? Did I get all that?

• tak47888
    tak47888 Member Posts: 125

No worries guys, devs will look in the statistics, see that it's used quite often among killers, see that survivors are starting to complain about it and give it "a little tweak" until nobody wants to use it anymore.

• valvarez4
    valvarez4 Member Posts: 868
    edited January 2021

B&C is the best perk in the entire game (survs+killers perks). But if you remove it, the killer rate would decrease 15-20% because killers don't know how to work for their hooks and find survs.

As I said in other posts, they should remove the aura reading of survs in dying state from the perk. If you want to slug, then use deerstalker

Post edited by valvarez4 on
  • valvarez4
    valvarez4 Member Posts: 868

Sorry, but I disagree. It would be healthy for the game without the aura reading of survs in dying state. Now it's the reason why killers slug for the 4k, because they know they'll see you with the last hook. It's a so common perk that negate the possibility to escape using the hatch in so many games.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    edited January 2021

Nope it isn't an OP perk a perk we're all you have to do to is hide in a locker, behind a generator, or go a few steps one way then turn around is far from OP. Compared to a lot of other perks it's balanced. It's effective because survivors are too slow to recognize there's BBQ. A perk with three easy counters. But if you can't do that well let's look at the killers who can use the info efficiently. Windstorm Wraith okay he sees you zooms over with no terror radius. But he's Wraith no problem. Hillbilly he starts zooming over except it's easy to hear him coming you can prepare Nurse same thing with Billy you can easily hear them coming. Huntress with a long shot not hard to avoid. Freddy okay he teleports to a nearby gen except he won't be undetectable and has a brief moment for you to get distance. Spirit with add-ons okay she's there but now she'll be without her power and a 4.4. Demogorgon your're near his portals he comes except you hear it coming and his footsteps no problem getting distance. Oni he sees you in the distance he pops his power once more you hear it and an Oni who does that will lose. And there's a good chance he doesn't have his blood fury. Okay Blight he zooms over but by the time he gets there he's used his charges and is an M1 killer. The Twins okay she sends Victor but once more you hear it coming and Victor will be to far from Charlotte to get there in time. All other killers are to slow to get there by the time they do they're to the spot you're gone. And that is why BBQ isn't an OP perk. Would love to hear a response to all these points.

Post edited by WishIcouldmain on
  • Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,890

As a Dweet I say the power of the locker compels you. It protects any and all from bbq.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

The only reason people really use it is for BP. Sure, you can get a general idea of where survivors are by auras, but its so ubiquitous that survivors automatically either try to fake it out or hide in a locker. At that point, it can be counterproductive by allowing for deceptive and dupes. If it weren't for the blood points, I might actually use Thrilling Tremors instead.

• Dennis_van_eijk

I guess some people like beating a dead horse, hoping the devs would listen to them.

You know how they are to survivors, always holding their hands.

Shows how little knowledge this person has.

Didn't you know that kindred counters bbq? 😂😜

• voorheesgt
    voorheesgt Member Posts: 827

He literally asked because it seems like you may be new because you obviously don't understand how beneficial bbq is to SURVIVORS. You appear to be the one attacking anybody. Apparently trying to explain a game mechanic to a new player is off topic... But you asked about these mechanics specifically.

• Dennis_van_eijk

How does thrill of the hunt have to do with slugging?

It's a totem perk which gives a notification when someone is on a hex totem.

Absolutely nothing to do with slugging.

The only time you get benefits from it is when you play a full hex build with haunted ground so all totems are hexes, other than that it's pretty much a useless perk on it's own.

And people who slug a lot are most likely to use deerstalker to find you in dying state and not bbq

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Dumb or unaware survivors don't counter bbq. So many glaring signs before it activates and yet survivors refuse to deny the killer it's benefits. Its not op, not even that power, just survivors standing in the open complaining that they can't stand there without being detected.

• WishIcouldmain
    edited January 2021

Oh sorry didn't understand. But yeah survivors run Kindred for camping rescues. And solo Q coordination so you don't die on hook and so everyone doesn't come to you instead of fixing the last gens. Not BBQ. Would like to hear a response from him.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Yeah killer should camp the hook instead of going for other survivors. Let's remove the perk I'm sure survivors would love it..

• Dennis_van_eijk

Yeah i think he is new to the game and still has a lot to learn.

I never run Kindred and I'm playing solo, I just pay a lot of attention on what is going on around me.

Do I see a survivor is being camped?

I just rush the gens than.

Do I suspect the killer to have bbq?

I just hide in a locker or stay close to the area where the survivor is getting hooked or hide behind a gen in the direct line of the hook.

But yeah when a new survivor comes to the game, the killers seems overwhelming and OP which I can understand.

But to start and cry on the forums about it so soon without getting the basics right is imo pretty sad

• illusion
    illusion Member Posts: 885

Attacking BBQ&Chili of all things. LOL No, it's not OP. Not even close.

If you "know" that most killers are using it, counter it. Move off the gen to a different area, or jump in a locker. You can even mind-game the killer by moving in one direction for the few seconds that the perk is active, then move in the other direction. Kindred is not necessary, just incredibly useful. Both sides have multiple aura perks. The aura part of BBQ is useful, just as any other aura perk is. It's higher use is definitely more due to the extra BP gain, though.

You are not forced to use kindred, but if you think it helps vs BBQ, why would you not use it? If that is your biggest concern, you use perks that help counter it. If you are concerned about tunneling, you bring DS. If you are concerned about slugging, you bring unbreakable. If you are concerned about being chased (which everyone is), you bring and exhaustion perk.

And, yeah, there are survivor perks that are easily just as popular. Popularity does not mean that it is OP.

Btw, kindred is extremely useful whether the killer uses BBQ&C, or not.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

nice b8 m8 git gud

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

It is OP, but I think they haven't nerfed it because it reduces camping which survivors hate. If I remember correctly, it is the most used perk on either side if that tells you anything. So it is a perk that reduces camping but a well experienced killer gets too much advantage with BBQ, in which case a well experienced killer wouldn't camp much anyway but they use the perk anyway. It needs nerfing so it has less value for when there is less survivors or less gens left. A killer with BBQ and Tinkerer when only 2 survivors left causes a stalemate. That should be addressed on these two perks.

• WishIcouldmain
    edited January 2021

It's primary usage isn't for Aura reading it's for the blood points. It's why survivors run WGLF even when all it gave was extra blood points. And half the killers can't even utilize the Aura reading. The primary usage for BBQ is the BP not the Aura reading.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

If that was true, then you'd never see a survivor without WGLF. Survivors are the ones that starves for points. That aura reading must be pretty powerful.

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346

lmao

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651

Most people run it for the Bloodpoint boost, since playing Killer can be very BP-expensive due to having to restock sometimes essential Add-ons. The BP incentive of the BBQ means people often run it on killers who would be best served by a different tracking perk. Really, only characters with good map mobility make the best of the information given by BBQ.

No, it isn't OP.

• WishIcouldmain

It's still the blood points. Okay then let's see half the killers can't even utilize the Aura. And this perk has three counters. Hide behind the gen Aura. Hide in a locker. Or go a few steps one way then the other way. A perk with those three simple counters is not OP.

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875

I run BBQ if I play killer just for the extra bp while I P3 my survivors (nothing else to put bp into). I actually find it’s a hindrance for most killers (outside of spirit, oni, billy). Once you play this game enough, you kinda know where people are and what they’re doing based on spawns and time.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

It needed more salt. Thanks for that.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

This. I run it almost solely for the BBQ -- I've lost count of the number of times I've said after a hook "No one's showing up on BBQ". Any surivivor that isn't brand new to the game, if they even suspect BBQ in the slightest, will find a locker, hide behind a gen, or simply reverse direction after a few seconds (when I play survivor, that's what I do -- when I don't and have a killer bearing down on me, it's not because the perk is "OP", but because I've made a rookie mistake. That's on me). 40 meters away is a good distance to traverse for many killers and plenty of time for someone who does show up on BBQ to hide/slip away.

Some killers, it does actually hinder, as mentioned here. If you're a Hag or a Trapper, it's a waste of a perk slot (unless you're looking for the BP), as you don't want to leave your territory to chase after survivors that far away who'll be distant memories by the time you get to where you saw the aura. The way the current game is, if you hook someone, you need to be pressuring generators -- BBQ isn't necessary to know that the gens are where the survivors are likely to be.

If the grind were reduced in the game, the builds I do run BBQ on, I'd likely swap it off to something more helpful. But with so many survivor/killer perks and the insane amount of BP needed to level anyone up, it's almost a necessity.

• Woot1234
    Woot1234 Member Posts: 139

I actually think BBQ is broken. For some reason whenever I face red rank survivors the aura reading is broken you never see any! Devs must do something about this!!1!

• scottymo
    scottymo Member Posts: 74

Seems like a killer crutch to me. Wonder how many cannot function without it. Thus the stream of defense. The forums are clearly festering with toxic killer mains.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

No it isn't OP.

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

They could add heals to count as a stack and picking up survivors from dying state.

• Hex_UrbanEvasion
    Hex_UrbanEvasion Member Posts: 200

"If BBQ, which is definitely not a powerful perk, gets nerfed, killers won't play killer anymore. Take that, survivors."

Why is it this is an argument in like, every BBQ thread? I get it, life is hard as killer. But threatening to ragequit because you can no longer use BBQ to find all the people you slugged is childish and makes me wonder why you even play this game.

• Hex_UrbanEvasion

Only no one uses WGLF. Maybe if it was combined with Kindred, it would be more popular, but as-is, I have to weigh which of my other valuable perks I want to remove to use it, hope I can actually unhook in the match because the killer is sweaty and comes running when I try or other survivors beat me to the hook, and work my ass off trying to get the most out of my tokens if I get any. All a killer has to do is their usual objective, down people and chuck them on hooks. If you struggle just to hook four times, that's on you. WGLF is harder to use.

• Artick
    Artick Member Posts: 623

Depends:

If you ask a killer main, obviously the answer will be: "omg how dare you nerf survs already so op damn man this game was so much better in 2016 when devs were not biased omg omg"

If you ask anyone else: "it is strong, maybe a bit too strong because it can be used for camping even tho it is supposed to encourage killers to not camp".

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

What about me? I say: i cant see that a perk with that many counters is a problem at all, since it is quite easy to counter most of the time. Sometimes by even staying on a gen, unless you are one of the gen-allergics, afraid to come near one.

• Hex_UrbanEvasion

Oh yeah, back in the killer peak of 2016, when you could eat like twelve pallets in a match, and a single Jake could take out every hook except the basement ones, and Trapper could be turned into a literal M1 killer because all his traps got destroyed. Boy, do I miss the good old days!! /s

Actually, funny you bring up the camping thing, because some killers (probably less experienced ones) will bum around a hooked survivor if they didn't see anyone with BBQ because they... assume all the other survivors are crouching just around the corner, waiting for them to turn their backs so they can get that blasted unhook? Idk. I just see them doing it via Kindred. Yet, there is the popular argument that BBQ is easily countered by hiding in lockers. There's just a lot of conflicting stuff to unpack.