Tips on finding the hatch faster

I suck at finding the hatch, is there any tips or advice in finding it quicker?

Comments

• bkn
    bkn Member Posts: 228

left behind, gives you aura... when you have a key its a free escape.

• Moxie
    Moxie Member Posts: 806

It is random. Depending on the amount of gens done and survivors left, you will be able to see the closed hatch.

There are offerings that make it more likely to spawn near main building or shack as well. Map with Black Cord or Pink Map will allow you to "track" the hatch as well.

Good luck.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,696

The best way to find it when it's open (and you don't know where it is) is by sound.

• Farya
    Farya Member Posts: 94

^^^this. It took me two weeks of playing Survivor until I recognized, that the hatch makes a sound. Can't describe it. Sounds... shiny. And you hear it already from a distance.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,307

Always check the main building and shack before anywhere else. If you're down to 3 survivors and 1 gen, keep an eye out for it while traversing the match. If its on the swamp, don't rule out the outer perimeter along the wall. As others have said, listen carefully for the sound.

Best thing is to give one of the offerings, but then the killer would know where to look. The offering with a key is good, but get ready to get tunneled and/or camped.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,176

Grab a rainbow map, load it up with addons (specifically increasing its range), load offering that increases the chance of hatch spawning by killer shack/main building tremendously. And well the obvious, looking for it.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009

Any sweaty killer will likely refuse to kill the 3rd off till they know where it is anyways. (or trenched in sweat ones will refuse to even kill the 3rd till they have the 4th downed as well)

So my advice is just run around like a idiot and prepare to get lucky or die if the killer was really trying. You could camp a exit gate for when they close the hatch, but that's a losing gamble as once they find you... it's over. And many maps or killers can guard both gates with ease. But then again if they close it, your really only good chance of escaping would be sitting at it.

As Killer? Unless you killed everyone off with no gens being powered... you legit can bring the game to a crawl and refuse to kill people till you know where it is.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

I hear it before I see it.

• Weeb_H_Toast
    Weeb_H_Toast Member Posts: 195

sounds like a wind tunnel, oh a course of distance, very deep, screams

• DerZuntor
    DerZuntor Member Posts: 293

On maps with multiple floors it's always on the bottom floor.

• Equus
    Equus Member Posts: 324

Some maps have certain tiles it spawns on more often. Like dead dawg it usually spawns on the road between the gallows and saloon or under the gallows, or on the other side of the road. Sometimes on the boardwalk of the smaller building

On pale rose swamp it can spawn everywhere and will also spawn on the edges so it's pure luck.

The grim pantry swamp will often spawn on the downstairs floor of the smallest cabin building.

Haddonfield it appears most often in the middle of the road on either side or on one of the porches.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

If you’re wearing a good head set, you should hear the hatch before you see it.

Traverse the map in a methodical matter. I tend to map out a mental grid in my head, and travel left to right, then “down” a tile length, then right to left, like if I were “mowing the lawn”, so that I’m thorough. If the other player finds it first, so be it.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

It's rng, unless there is an offering. It can never spawn on 2nd floor of a building.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Also there are certain likely spots for the hatch to appear on certain maps. Don’t forget the new blueprint offerings too.

All maps: check shack and hills.

Swamps: the perimeter and far corners.

Haddonfield: the street, and house porches.

Badham: the streets, the boiler room (the area where Freddy presumably sleeps).

The Game & Midwich: Obviously don’t waste your time upstairs. Sometimes the hatch is on the landing of the main staircases in Midwich, and somewhere in the centre courtyard, or main hallways.

Lery’s: good luck. Seems to be the hardest map to find the hatch.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited January 2021

start at the main building or shack, then go through the middle of the map to the main building/shack. after that you circle the map.

if you still haven't found it it's probably in the middle of the map.

this is for the standard open map.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,615

Be lucky is the main thing.

If for some reason the Survivor didn't immediately escape/the Killer didn't immediately close it, start searching.

Left Behind certainly helps you to find it faster, and can prevent times where you'd go right past it while searching.

If you think you have time as either Survivor or Killer with enough Generators repaired & enough other Survivors dead, maybe you wanna give it a shot and search some locations, so that even if you don't find it, you can rule out locations where it's not.

• crowbarman
    crowbarman Member Posts: 499

Get on Discord and share with your entire team like the high rank SWFs do.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

I love the descriptions of the sounds from other players. It’s a radiating sound to me. It radiates out with a void sound.

• Bone_Dice
    Bone_Dice Member Posts: 55

I'm killer main, and most of my friends don't dbd. And when I do play survivor I usually solo q or dou

• crowbarman
    crowbarman Member Posts: 499

Same here. Sorry - I was being sarcastic because finding the hatch doesn't seem to be a problem whenever I play red survivors - they always know where it is.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

I always described it like it was as if the air was being sucked out of the trial.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,940

Use Left Behind for a while to see potential spawns, then drop Left Behind again since you will remember some or most spawns.

• Endorb
    Endorb Member Posts: 151

The hatch can spawn pretty much anywhere, but it won't spawn on slopes, and it won't spawn if there's any sort of walkable area (whether the killer basement, the Badham basement, or the Haddonsfield basement) below it. It also seemingly can't spawn on certain raised terrain features, like those gazebos in the Yamaoka estate (but it can spawn on hills)