Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Is "farming" allowed?

Farya
Farya Member Posts: 94
edited January 2021 in General Discussions

Well, I am like a Newbie to this game. Played it for a few days in 2018 and now playing it again for six weeks. But still bad at loops and chasing and so on.. but that's not the point.

Just an explain for why I don't know the answer yet to a simple question - is it allowed to "farm" bp as a whole group?

By that I mean: not playing seriously but just hit the Survivors, they heal, a little chase, some pallet stuns. Killer does no harm and so on. You know what I mean, I guess.

If all players are random or the Killer faces a group of friends and they would somehow tell each other ingame (by hitting objects and stuff) that they just want to farm or do challenges - is that banable?

In a very old thread on reddit I've read, that it is allowed as long as all 4 survivors know about that. Killing one or two of them and farm the rest of the game is not allowed. But that was kinda.. not official and just a random saying this. So I better ask on here.

Comments

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

I mean will you report it?

the only time i see faming with the killer being bad is if the killer is only working with 1 or 2 survivors and those survivors are screwing you over.

• Farya
    edited January 2021

I would not report it, but maybe someone else? A few days ago someone told me in chat, that he will report me for being an "afk killer who just wants to depip", because I was lazy after a few flashlight stuns and stuff.

Is there any source where some devs said something about that? It's just that it's a bp week now and I don't want to do anything against the rules, if i face someone who wants to do that or maybe I would even consider to go for it as a killer myself, just if it is allowed.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,303

Yes as long as the killer doesn't force you to do so. Some people hate it so the killer should let them rush gens or hook them if they point to a hook. Farming is really nice when the devs become sadistic and give us terrible rift challenges.

If you're looking to make blood points, it would be best to just get BBQ+Chili and farm them with a killer. It's much faster than farming will ever be.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Yeah, but you need the players you involve in the farming to want to farm as well for it to be allowed.

• Farming is fine.

So long as the killer is not holding someone hostage to do so. One example being say you just want to do gens and escape but they keep walking over grabbing you off it anytime you try and won't let you leave unless you farm with them first.

That is reportable, but if the killer and like 3 of the survivors are off farming while you are just solo doing all the gens and such and leaving, it is not.

• bkn
    bkn Member Posts: 228

you cant even determine what farming is...

that doesnt make sense, did you come up with that?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited January 2021

What doesn't? That's just an example.

Makes perfect sense, if you are literally forcing someone to farm it's a reportable offense. So long as you are not forcing them into it, you are fine as they can do gens and such and just leave. So long as you are not bullying someone for not farming/griefing them it's fine.

I don't see the confusion.

• Gay Myers (Luzi)
    Gay Myers (Luzi) Member Posts: 4,427
    edited January 2021

Hey, about farming - while we do not encourage or condone farming, it becomes mainly an issue mainly if someone is being griefed into farming, e.g. they're forced to do gens on their own or locked into a corner by a survivor so the killer can kill them. We do not recommend it as it can be difficult to see if everyone was okay with it.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

It may change with rank rewards, but generally unless you're a stealth boy or just uber aggressive to an obnoxious point, my goal is to two hook everyone and then pseudo-farm (chase/hit/slug). Everyone gets points, everyone gets a serious enough game, I get no complaints playing this way and though you won't max out, you'll still get close to 30k per game (not including bbq or bp offerings) doing this.

• I just take all farm perks myself and don't even try to win. I walk around and hit people and hook them if I can but I usually let everyone go.

I don't even worry about the objective even a little bit, that's how I farm.

It works well for both sides I think. I mean usually survivors not wanting to de-pip cause they just did 5 gens and left and never got chased by you all game or anything will come let you chase them and whatever 100% of their own free will.

• bkn
    bkn Member Posts: 228

how can you force somebody to farm? There is hatch, there is EGC, there are 2 exits...

• illusion
    illusion Member Posts: 887

Farming is OK with a full group of friends. It's not OK when other people are involved, that don't want to be. They waited in a queue for a long time to play a real match and get stuck with that nonsense. I will always report afk killers. It wastes my time. If you want to farm, don't use public queues.

• Farya
    edited January 2021

Okay, since I am a baby killer playing in the eve I can only dream of "two-hook everyone and then pseudo-farm". That's not what I am talking about. But I agree with everything you say. I don't need to sacrifice every Survivor. Getting more BP as a killer anyways.

The "force someone to farm" thing makes it complicated for me as well. If I get it right, you can not force everyone to farm as a killer. Only as a Survivor, if you point out the locations of the others or bodyblock your survivor mate.

But as a Killer? The killer I faced who wanted to farm just stand there and sometimes hit someone but did not come very close and did hook just two people and destroyed pallets. I think there is no way as a killer to force people to farm. Besides "facecamp", which isn't reportable anyways.

But yeah, I feel confused about this topic now that I've got all your answers more than before xD

Maybe I think too much about it?

I mean, i don't want to get reported if I consider farming. But who knows how many times I got reported for being a baby killer or something else. If I get the after-chats right within the last six weeks I was reported at least 10 times. For being afk, for depip, for farming, for tunnelig and camping.

Can't do everything right.

• I have some conflict with the "Forcing one person to do every gen" because that happens a lot where someone doesn't even get what's happening and never sees the killer they just assume he is bad and do gens and end up doing like most of the gens themselves because of it.

You're not forcing them to do gens alone.

What constitutes forcing someone to do gens alone? That is what I am not sure of.

I mean does that mean if you are farming with 3 other people and one person is doing gens you should go and tunnel that person to death like it's a normal game and then farm with everyone else? That seems far more toxic imo.

I don't think if you are just farming like normal; you should ever be able to accidentally do something that gets you reported/punished, it should have to be something you actively do outside of just farming with whoever wants to.

• JasonS
    JasonS Member Posts: 100

I'd much rather be tunneled out of a farming game than be bored AF for 10+ mins.

You're griefing me by forcing me to DC if I don't want to farm.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited January 2021

That's not what they mean by griefing, the act of farming by itself as they mentioned, is not considered griefing and punished.

I'm looking for a serious answer to an actual question; not someone lashing out at others for asking legitimate ones please.

⁽ᴮᵉˢᶦᵈᵉˢ, ᵒᶠᵗᵉⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ ᵍᵉᵗᵗᶦⁿᵍ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵃⁿᵍʳʸ ᵃʳᵉ ᵒᶠᵗᵉⁿ ᵖᵉᵒᵖˡᵉ ᶦⁿ ᵇᵘˡˡʸ ˢᵠᵘᵃᵈˢ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵖˡᵃⁿⁿᵉᵈ ᵗᵒ ᵇᵘˡˡʸ ᵃ ᵏᶦˡˡᵉʳ; ᵃⁿᵈ ˡᶦᵗᵉʳᵃˡˡʸ ʰᵃᵈ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵒⁿᵉ ᵗʰᶦⁿᵍ ᵗᵃᵏᵉⁿ ᵃʷᵃʸ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵗʰᵉᵐ...⁾

• Klakky
    Klakky Member Posts: 444
    edited January 2021

If killer wants to farm he's allowed to, it's up to survivors if they'll join or not, he can't force them anyway.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2021

devs have said more than once they don't like the idea of it or it's strange tot hem but they don't care who does it as long as your gameplay doesn't 'punish' anybody for not wanting to participate. when you're a killer that wants to farm, and somebody isn't playing along, whatever you want to do to lash out in frustration or 'nudge' them into playing along to ease the discomfort you want to create you should consider among those things that would get you banned if they recorded and reported you enough times for it. Same when you're survivor and if for some reason you don't want to farmt hat game or don't like farming in general, doing those things to you to frustrate or pressure you into playing along is reportable for them but be sure to record the whole match to allow it to be more clear to whomever looks at it. If they do it so much that they've been reported many times for it, somebody is sure to look at them eventually and the pattern shows intent.

• Klakky

I mean if someone doesn't want to participate in farming and he gets sacrificed while 3 teammates are allowed to escape that's not punishing him, that's playing the game as killer and killing someone... How would u say a killer can "punish" a survivor?

• HeckaYeah
    HeckaYeah Member Posts: 187

As far as I know, if you spin and the other player reponds in kind or you make it VERY OBVIOUS that's what you're up to I personally don't see an issue with it. In fact, after the tunneling and camping I find it refreshing.

What I usually see it true gameplay for two sacrificed survivors and then if the remaining two "earned" it through hard work- good team skills, loops, ect. (Each killer has different standards) then they let them finish gens with pressuring them off and small chases, then major farming at EGC.

• Klakky

Ye u do know public queue is the only way to farm, you know u get nothing from private matches right?

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Could you elaborate on the gen repair thing?

How is this considered griefing?

• Hex_UrbanEvasion
    Hex_UrbanEvasion Member Posts: 200

As an illustration for you, take this example I saw in a match.

Killer was Bunny Mom. She three-hooked two survs early in the match, left the other two injured. She found the Dwight, and kept downing him with hatchets, picking him up, letting him wiggle off, and chucking another hatchet at him as he tried to run away. She carried him to a dead zone so he couldn't escape easily and continued this until she had all the points she wanted, then left him slugged. Meanwhile, the other injured survivor was working on gens alone, because there was no one to heal her and no one to help.

That is not an appropriate way to farm. Keeping one survivor from being able to escape and forcing one others to try to do the majority of objectives alone is griefing/holding a match hostage, or at least holding a player hostage. It took the other remaining survivor ages to get a single gen done alone, I think she might've been mangled, and when she tried helping the Dwight, Bunny Mom would just chase her off. Didn't actually down her or anything, just chased her away and resumed her hatchet practice.