The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The TR+Chase Music needs to be quieter.

On both ends. As a Survivor, when a Killer is near, the loud music can be godawful and cause misconceptions in what the Killer is able to hear, as well as obscure your ability to hear them (except for the Spirit because dear GOD she is loud.) As a Killer, it can very easily cause you to lose track of a Survivor when your eyes fail you. I honestly feel that ears are more important that eyes in DBD, and taking away your ears when you need them the most—during a chase—is a very poor design choice.

This is exaggerated on certain Killers, as well. Case in point, the Spirit. She needs to be able to track Survivors without her eyes in order to properly catch up to them when they try to stealth/gain distance. More importantly, she needs to track them when they're walking around a pallet in order to mindgame. Only problem is, the chase music is so much louder than even an injured Survivor five feet away.

Injured Survivors cry in pain for a reason: so the Killers can hear them. I want to hear them in my ears when they're directly in front of me, not the latest bloody Suicide Silence single.

This is more than just a QoL buff. The chase music is an actual hindrance, and VERY annoying.

Comments

• Snapshot
    Snapshot Member Posts: 914

Agree.

• makayla
    makayla Member Posts: 287

I so agree, the chase music pisses me off and so does the TR. It would be a massive improvement to lower the volume.

• michaelmyers87
    michaelmyers87 Member Posts: 458
    Been saying they should remove the TR
  • steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

I'm sure that's the whole purpose of the chase music, OP. With a good set of headphones, you can hear breathing and grass moving 10-20 feet away. Take away the music and TR and the chase game will be a lot easier.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    edited October 2018

On both ends. As a Survivor, when a Killer is near, the loud music can be godawful and cause misconceptions in what the Killer is able to hear, as well as obscure your ability to hear them (except for the Spirit because dear GOD she is loud.) As a Killer, it can very easily cause you to lose track of a Survivor when your eyes fail you. I honestly feel that ears are more important that eyes in DBD, and taking away your ears when you need them the most—during a chase—is a very poor design choice.

This is exaggerated on certain Killers, as well. Case in point, the Spirit. She needs to be able to track Survivors without her eyes in order to properly catch up to them when they try to stealth/gain distance. More importantly, she needs to track them when they're walking around a pallet in order to mindgame. Only problem is, the chase music is so much louder than even an injured Survivor five feet away.

Injured Survivors cry in pain for a reason: so the Killers can hear them. I want to hear them in my ears when they're directly in front of me, not the latest bloody Suicide Silence single.

This is more than just a QoL buff. The chase music is an actual hindrance, and VERY annoying.

I suggested that the chase music cuts off when you Phase as the Spirit because you really need to hear survivors. Same can be said with the Nurse but usually it's not that bad since you are usually far enough away from the survivor that the chase ends, thus ending the chase music.
  • Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited October 2018

@No_Mither_No_Problem said:

@steezo_de said:
    I'm sure that's the whole purpose of the chase music, OP. With a good set of headphones, you can hear breathing and grass moving 10-20 feet away. Take away the music and TR and the chase game will be a lot easier.

I have a $200 set of headphones and can't a hear an injured Surv breathing next to me with Stridor.

You need to get a refund. I can hear injured survivors with a $20 set perfectly. I can even hear their injured moans from outside a locker.

Even heard a Pig's breathing before she even came into the cellar at Haddonfield.

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    No_Mither_No_Problem Member Posts: 1,476

@Visionmaker said:

@steezo_de said:

I have a $200 set of headphones and can't a hear an injured Surv breathing next to me with Stridor.

You need to get a refund. I can hear injured survivors with a $20 set perfectly. I can even hear their injured moans from outside a locker.

Even heard a Pig's breathing before she even came into the cellar at Haddonfield.

Sorry but there’s no way I’m buying that.

• Visionmaker

@Visionmaker said:

@steezo_de said:

Sorry but there’s no way I’m buying that.

It's probably closer to $25, but I dunno if that's with or without tax.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522

I can't say I've exactly had that issue as killer. I have no issues hearing people with the chase music. Even when flashlight blinded, I can tell which way they ran.

Then again, I'm not exactly opposed to it being turned down slightly. I wouldn't want to see it become too quiet though.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

@steezo_de said:

Take a step down? I have a pair of Denon's that I've had for over 15 years and I know I didn't spend $200 on them. If you can't hear someone injured that's right next to you, something is definitely wrong. I can't use Stridor because the audio is too loud for me then and I think they're closer than they actually are.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited October 2018

The music is there to cover sounds. Have you ever had the bug which disables the music when spectating a survivor? You can pinpoint the killer's position from their breath. Currently Myers and the Pig can be "spotted" from a distance thanks to that.
    A perk like Stridor would have low use if you could hear survivors crystal clear, and jukes/stealth (which every killer that hates looping asks survivors to do) would be useless in many occasions. A couple times I got found because the killer heard me move grass or the very slight noise I did while slow vaulting... imagine if that was much more common.
    The point is that the music is too tied with the balance of gameplay because sound is a very powerful tool for both sides.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

@steezo_de said:

Yeah with no chase going on its certainly easy to hear at some points... I've been able to hear the same things... survivors injured and in lockers, Amanda and Micheals breathing when not even in the area.. chase music absolutely needs to be lowered for the killer... not extremely low but enough to make a difference.. 
  • DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

Something like music volume belongs to the settings, just like graphic settings.
    But for some reason a game that has been developed even for PC feels like a very cheap console port when you open the settings

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    The option to adjust would be great even if it has a locked minimum. I just want some balance for when sound is the only option to track. Depending on personal sound system it can become a tangled mess of audio.
  • Visionmaker
    Bravo0413 said:

@steezo_de said:

Yeah with no chase going on its certainly easy to hear at some points... I've been able to hear the same things... survivors injured and in lockers, Amanda and Micheals breathing when not even in the area.. chase music absolutely needs to be lowered for the killer... not extremely low but enough to make a difference.. 
    Killer self breathing needs to be reduced also. That might explain why people have difficulty hearing survivor breathing. When I play Doc or Pig, I can't tell who it is.
    But I guess it doesn't make deaf people with expensive hearing aids any better at the game lol.
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited October 2018

For survivors it's very easy to discern where the killer is, so it shouldn't be easier. The chase music increases the chance you make a mistake an get caught. That's totally fine.

However I agree for killers, a lot of times the music can hide too much sound and they DESPERATELY need this because it's way too easy to dodge a killer using IW and UE. UE by itself hard counters all slow killers. Nurse, Hag, Huntress (oh God how I HATE UE as Huntress), now Spirit. It's dumb how easy it is to hide as a p3 Claud, and if you play like this you should seriously be punished for making noise because it's the only way to find them outside of auras. I also play Spirit and I feel like the music should be completely silent when you phase walk because you depend entirely on sound when you do it and being able to use it well it the key to being effective with her.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

@Visionmaker said:
    Killer self breathing needs to be reduced also. That might explain why people have difficulty hearing survivor breathing. When I play Doc or Pig, I can't tell who it is.

Yes this too. I've been running Stridor a lot on Spirit and sometimes I'm not sure if I'm hearing myself or a survivor crying in pain.

• Maj33y
    Maj33y Member Posts: 236
    I wouldn't Remove the Music ... I think without it the game would be missing a huge part and would seem Dull and Empty .. But maybe include More options in the menu over in-game Chase or Dying state music .
  • slingshotsurvivor
    slingshotsurvivor Member Posts: 943
    Forgive me but what does TR stand for? 
  • No_Mither_No_Problem
    No_Mither_No_Problem Member Posts: 1,476

@slingshotsurvivor said:
    michaelmyers87 said:

Forgive me but what does TR stand for? 

Terror Radius—the heartbeat/music that indicates when a Killer is near.

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    Why do we not have a volume slider for in game music?
  • Visionmaker
    Why do we not have a volume slider for in game music?
    Same reason why we don't have FoV changer or brightness/contrast setting.
  • MannyBot
    MannyBot Member Posts: 53

@Visionmaker said:

But I guess it doesn't make deaf people with expensive hearing aids any better at the game lol.

Being a deaf person; I can tell you the "Expensive" Hearing Aids only make things worse here. Think of it like someone putting their mouth so close to the microphone during an assembly, and having it all distort and reverb through the room. That is what the chase music sounds like through a pair of hearing aids.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
    edited October 2018
    They can't simply lower the terror radius or chase music and keep all other sounds the same. They're at their levels by design. If you can't hear survivors then either your hearing isn't 100% or your headphones are not very good. I do think they could stand to lower the music a bit but make the same or similar adjustments to certain other sounds. Some tweaks are necessary.. I agree that the Pig and Doctor breathing is way too loud.
  • megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742

Tbh the chase music thing is one of the best mechanics in the game and i would even want it be a bit louder lol.

• Breadiswhite
    Breadiswhite Member Posts: 3

Get rid of chase music audio base builds dont work at all and its really annoy losing your bearings when the chase music is so loud you cant hear anything else remove it.

• ForeheadSurviors
    ForeheadSurviors Member Posts: 154

@steezo_de said:

I have $40 headphones and can hear perfectly clearly you was robbed , i can hear survivors breathing just a tiny bit
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

I cant hear a survivor bodyblocking me from behind (i.e. literally bodycontact) and my headphones were sth 200+

• Grim
    Grim Member Posts: 250

Not so much made quieter, but simply add an option where we can adjust the chase music volume.

• antgnstea
    antgnstea Member Posts: 869
    For example, I used to be able to hear hatch while in a chase way further. Now I have to be standing right next to it to hear. And it’s the same headphones. 
  • weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

@steezo_de said:

Sounds like you got ripped off then.
  • ArashiNoHanta
    ArashiNoHanta Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2019

I completely agree: as killer is way too easy to lose a survivor due to the music being too loud

• Chewy102
    Chewy102 Member Posts: 613

Why did you necro a post made in Oct 2018?

Granted sounds have broken a few times in the past and are kinda wack again, but to necro such an old post is worthless and wont do anything. People will just see this as a necro post and ignore it.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835
    edited May 2019

I would be happy even with working sounds and scratch marks.

In Ormond you cant see Scratch marks half of the time and rock loops have no sound.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

It is way, way too loud I agree. Especially on Spirit it makes hearing survivor sounds very difficult. It needs to be turned down a little.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235
    edited May 2019

The quality of headphones is irrelevant when killer have trouble hearing anything at all whenever the devs touch anything related to sounds, be it music/sfx volumes or just the game engine.

Something working normally at 100% gets bugged to 50%, "fixed" to 80%... Which becomes the new "100%". As far as i know this already happened twice.

Not to mention the issues causing sounds to not even work at all.

While arguably the chase music is there to signal the chase or mask survivor sounds a bit for " fairness", it IS bullshit you go deaf when initating a chase because you had to up the volume to even hear survivors outside a chase.