The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Support for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Players.

This game is virtually impossible to play without the ability to hear. Why not make an option where the game volume is turned off, but there are visual indicators similar to the noise alert illustrations to compensate for there being no sound? 

Comments

• E4TING_GLASS
    E4TING_GLASS Member Posts: 3
    The netease variant identity v has a visual heart beat that makes it easy to know when you're in the killers vicinity you should check that out its a pretty decent game. Otherwise I agree this would be abused more often than not.
  • Maxi605
    Maxi605 Member Posts: 145

Blood and scratches are there if you don't hear the survivor you know in what direction he went

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    edited September 2018

I feel like people who could actually hear could abuse this system. Tbh most games are hard to play without sound.

Like I said, the game volume would be disabled when deaf aid is enabled. You can either have the sound queues or the visual ones, you cannot have both. 
  • DarkWo1f997
    Maxi605 said:

Blood and scratches are there if you don't hear the survivor you know in what direction he went

And how exactly are you supposed to hear the entity’s whisper, or survivor heartbeat if you can’t hear? 
  • TheLegendDyl4n1
    TheLegendDyl4n1 Member Posts: 1,493

they are ok with hard of hearing but not color blind people? initiate self destruct sequence

• MannyBot
    MannyBot Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2018

I agree that this can be abused, but God do I need a visual que/Vque or closed captions/[CC]! In my opinion, if one is deaf and needs a Vque or [CC], there should be a system in place for that. Now for the debate on how hearies will abuse Vques or [CC]. I play with a few deaf gamers like myself, and we all agreed that it would be fair to have [CC]/Vques blocked off too EVERYONE until manually unlocked by a dev. In other words one must submit and inquiry to the devs. The devs can review your case, see that you are infact a deaf person whom is not abusing the system to get more notifications, and unlock Vques or [CC]. Some say it is discriminatory to ask questions, ask for proof, or go through a process like this. However, the four of us said if proof or a submission to the devs is needed and gets us Vques or [CC] we don't mind a bit. We just want our Vques or [CC] so we can enjoy the game to its full. Just thought I'd float that idea around. 🤟

• Hubz
    Hubz Member Posts: 21
    Maxi605 said:

And how exactly are you supposed to hear the entity’s whisper, or survivor heartbeat if you can’t hear? 
    You can tell when whispers is activated because the perk lights up. A heart beat indicator could be added for the heart beat situation.
  • DarkWo1f997
    Hubz said:
    Maxi605 said:

You can tell when whispers is activated because the perk lights up. A heart beat indicator could be added for the heart beat situation.
    Yes but I think another visual queue could help them identify when it’s on. Noise notifications should have arrows to catch their attention, and I think a pulsing red on the corners of the screen that gets faster can solve the heartbeat issue. Of perhaps maybe even have a heart rate meter like sniper elite does, added to the hud. 

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930

@TheLegendDyl4n1 said:
    they are ok with hard of hearing but not color blind people? initiate self destruct sequence

They’ve actually started ideas on helping color blind people.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018

I believe you can get special headsets that increase faint sounds, try looking online for em for hard to hear.
    But actually I prefer to play Killer without sound and just some smooth jazz and just predict where the survivors go, if I can do that, I believe you can do it too, until the devs figure something out for you.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DarkWo1f997
    Emeal said:

I believe you can get special headsets that increase faint sounds, try looking online for em for hard to hear.
    But actually I prefer to play Killer without sound and just some smooth jazz and just predict where the survivors go, if I can do that, I believe you can do it too, until the devs figure something out for you.

Deaf and hard of hearing are two completely different things...
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@DarkWo1f997 said:

And if one group can be given advice on how to improve their situation, why shouldn't it?

• DarkWo1f997
    Orion said:

@DarkWo1f997 said:

And if one group can be given advice on how to improve their situation, why shouldn't it?

Never said it shouldn’t. Where are you grasping these straws from? 
  • Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994

@DarkWo1f997 said:

There are many levels of deafness, and only an extremely small percentage of the deaf are profoundly deaf (have no hearing at all). Some just have a severe DB loss, which can be helped with hearing aids and other devices that increase the volume level. However, the majority don’t have a normal hearing curve, and may only be able to hear in certain frequency bands. They may not be able to hear things like grunts, screams, footsteps, etc.

I would support a visual indication of sound when in a deaf mode, where the game sound is muted. They will still be at a severe disadvantage, but there is no fair way that a deaf person can play this game w/o some visual aid. This game relies way too much on sound, and the devs are even trying to deafen hearing people by raising the chase music to insane volume levels.

• MannyBot
    MannyBot Member Posts: 53

@Emeal said:

Depends on what you are looking at for your experience. If a person is completely deaf it is likely they would want headphones with significant base as they well be able to feel the vibrations. If they have problems hearing low pitches, a headset that increases treble or can amplify high pitched sounds might be helpful. (And vise versa if a person can't here high pitches) Some like the sound to go through their hearing aids/cochlear implant via tcoil or bluetooth (<--What I do) Others prefer a mix of everything I mentioned (Personally I use hearing aids to pump direct audio through, with a base headset for feeling vibrations, as well as closed captions (if they are available). This is just for me, and I don't speak for everyone. There are always ways to improve or add something better compatible like vques or [CC]. Unfortunately there is no "Fix All" solution.

PS: I have a friend that has a computer program which she fine tunes to increase her sound. Check out DeafGirlGaming on twitch if you want to know the software....because I can't remember what she uses ;P

• DarkWo1f997
    Kaelum said:

@DarkWo1f997 said:

There are many levels of deafness, and only an extremely small percentage of the deaf are profoundly deaf (have no hearing at all). Some just have a severe DB loss, which can be helped with hearing aids and other devices that increase the volume level. However, the majority don’t have a normal hearing curve, and may only be able to hear in certain frequency bands. They may not be able to hear things like grunts, screams, footsteps, etc.

I would support a visual indication of sound when in a deaf mode, where the game sound is muted. They will still be at a severe disadvantage, but there is no fair way that a deaf person can play this game w/o some visual aid. This game relies way too much on sound, and the devs are even trying to deafen hearing people by raising the chase music to insane volume levels.

I’m aware. I took two years of education on the subject. I’m keeping it vague because I don’t like typing novels (not tagging on you for explaining in detail, I just don’t have the patience for it.) to prove a point. Typing it out as opposed to speaking just makes me impatient. 
  • Aphy
    Aphy Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2023

Hearing killers are already abusing the system!! Honestly this isn't much fun anymore. Mostly reverting to customs with friends just to get my money's worth these days. There are already too many things in favor of killer and I also play killer and 4k every game barely trying. Its not fun as there is no challenge. I don't know why BHVR is catering to these toxic crying killers. Its not balanced at all.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,837
    edited April 2023