Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why does Monstrum 2 (Currently in Beta) have more graphical options than Dead by Daylight?

AhoyWolf
AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,086

Dead by Daylight is almost 5 years old, there is no excuse to have less graphical options than a beta game...

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

They already said that they want to look into more (graphical) settings this year, apparently starting with the highly requested colorblind mode.

this game started in 2016 and it’s a different matter if you are developing a game directly from the start with such features or you are implementing those features in an already live and running game, which was probably designed and balanced around those set features.

• Mooks

it being difficult or not is not the point. There is a reason why those are perks and use up a perk slot.

you may not agree with it but you are not the game designer and in the end it’s their choice.

Wider FoV is definitely a huge advantage in DbD..

• Mooks

‘Other games give unfair advantage over settings so this one should too‘

gotcha, great argumentation.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,949

Because graphics settings were thought to related to balance, sometimes it is. But BHVR is taking a look at those this year I think.

Will you be happy if the game had graphics settings? Would that really make such a difference?

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
    edited January 2021

Then Killer should have 3rd person view like Survivors?

There are games like R* have 1st person & 3rd person as their own choice. Because ALL PLAYERS have equal PoV options.

This game, Killer is designed to have much narrow view. This is why crouch blocking when Killer carrying is a thing, this is why window tech is a thing.

If options give increase PoV for Killer, Im sure there is no way Survivor can ever land a pallet/flash light save/ body block anymore.

As @savevatznick said, PoV is a part of balance, believe it or not, up to you.

There is an example of Setting cause the balance. With High/Ultra graphic, the texture is rich, shadow/light areas are defined, makes Traps much harder to be seen. With Low graphic, Traps are obvious like a yellow dot on a green surface.

• Starshadw
    Starshadw Member Posts: 266

In general, I'm all about giving folks more options that make games more playable. However, in the case of Killer FoV, it's an actual mechanic of the game, intended to balance out the Killer's prowess by giving survivors a better chance at hiding if they can maneuver to stay out of LoS. If they were going to allow Killer players to choose to widen their FoV with a slider and not a perk, they would have to give all survivors something (not perk-related) to balance things out.

As for graphics, I have no idea why they don't just put in color sliders so each player can set their own preferred color options, everything from white to all colors of the rainbow. If one player wants to see bright pink scratch marks and chartreuse gens and yellow chests, and another person wants everything to be purple, who cares? The only person who will see that is them (and their viewers if they happen to be a streamer), so there isn't even an "immersion" argument that can be made. Who cares? Let people choose the color of the silhouettes.

• MasterGrit
    MasterGrit Member Posts: 331

Because it's not Dead by Daylight

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Then I guess the Devs should give an option between their current 90 degree cone & even narrower of 45 degree. Then after all everyone will just adjust their option at maximum 90 degree anyway.

There, you have the option to adjust the FoV.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,086

For Killers it's actually 87 degrees, for Survivors it's 90 degrees.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

If available, every player:

Max brightness

FoV cranked up to Quake

Music turned OFF

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

The design philosophy of the game is that there has to be a certain uniformity in the look so that people don't have an advantage hiding or stealthing.

That said, the game does have Low/Med/High/Ultra and low is significantly easier to see things with in game. So really no idea what BHVR is smoking.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,068

They keep saying that they can't let us disable certain options because "it affects balance". Excuse me, but highly competitive games such as Rainbow Six Siege allow players to change a plethora of settings, and its still balanced. It's ridiculous too because you can disable or adjust these "unfair settings" by lowering your settings to Medium, or even the Low quality setting on PC. All we want as players, is to individually adjust these settings on their own.

• Starshadw

Note: I am someone for whom first-person view causes dizziness and nausea, so believe me I totally understand - it's why I don't play Killer often, or in any way try to be competitive at it when I do (I play Killer to get through Tomes, and for no other reason). I didn't say giving a FOV slider would be unfair - I said that it's an actual balance mechanic in the game, thus if the Killer was allowed to widen their FOV up to X amount, then something would have to be given to survivors to compensate for that.

• Qikin
    Qikin Member Posts: 14

I can respect the attention to the game balance, truly. But I think that fact alone you don't really play killer is evidence enough that something should be done. Video games are for us and it should be us, players, that should be considered first and then game second, not the other way around. The fact that many players with such problems have to play killer with perks like 'Monitor and Abuse' or 'Shadowborn' instead of many others, better suited for their playstyle or killer they're using, is where the talk of "balance" should start.

I'm not sure how to balance this potential change, apart from obviously increasing Survivor's FoV as well, because I belive this would benefit killers more. On the other hand, there's been talk of how killers are potentially struggling against good team of survivors for years. Maybe removing tunnelvision from them would be a good start. And I, as a survivor main, would even welcome that change.

• Starshadw

I wouldn't mind if the game were 3rd person for Killer as well - but something would absolutely have to change if the Killer could easily see multiple survivors at the same time. The "tunnel vision" of the Killer is a key part of the game that allows survivors to be working around the edges of that vision. And then, of course, there's the issue of some folks liking the 1st person view - which is why this is such a complex issue. Because how would the game be able to adapt to Killers choosing 1st person over 3rd person, etc. in terms of survivor abilities? I'm not sure it could, and that would then force Killers into 3rd person so as not to nerf themselves.

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

I don't think an FOV slider is necessarily important for this game. That being said, an increase in killer FOV is a must. The default killer FOV should be about 100 degrees, close to how it is with Shadowborn right now. When that happens, the FOV change in M&A should be removed and Shadowborn should be reworked into something completely different.

I see the value in keeping a fixed FOV in this game. I don't want to be thinking "oh jeez i sure do hope the killer has a low FOV" when I'm playing survivor, and I don't want cranking the FOV to something super high to be the optimal way to play. Let's increase it so that killer is more comfortable to play, but let's leave it at that.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

Youre argument does not work because if everyone can put their settings at what works best for them then all the players are playing at whats enjoyable, comfortable which is by far more important to retain new players coming in...

Players shouldn't be told by a designer "the chase music is set at the most balanced level" and when the players go into match, they not be able to hear survivors at all when the music is going... if it were this way it would take a lot of heat off the devs and allow them to focus on whatever that is not FOV, chase music etc... you shouldn't have to wear a perk to have an enjoyable FOV... its bloody nonsense.. ive been saying this for awhile, devs need to hand these settings over to the players, shadowborn needs to be changed and the FOV affect removed from M&A..... the game will be instantly better.

• Mooks

i am not saying it shouldn’t be implemented.

but it also does have effects on the balance and the game was specifically designed in the way it currently is. So you have to consider all effects and balance the game according to that. You have to balance around the setting with highest advantage for killers for example, which may result in survivor buffs and killers that are more comfortable with lower FoV may feel neglected/unfairly treated.

it’s not as easy to implement as people want to make it out to be. And feedback won’t go in only one direction when those changes get worked on.

• Qikin

I do not think that making killer a 3rd person character is a way to go. The base of the game is that survivors are 3rd person, killer is 1st person and game like Spies vs Mercs from Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory proves that this game philosophy can work, if there's some thought put into it.

Skillfull killers are already able to see multiple survivors, the just have to look around to see them. Increasing FoV (contrary to popular opinion) does not give you such a huge advantage (but at the same time I'm not saying that it does not at all) due to the fact that players for the most part look to the center of the monitor and only checking corners for additional info like ammo count, health etc. When you for example chase somebody there's a slight more chance that you'll spot another survivor, but most of the time your eyes will be focused od that one you're already chasing.

The reason why I prefer devs to implement slider and not fixed FoV is simple - everyone has different setups and preferences. For some, if they sit very close to the monitor, 100 FoV might be too much and have the exact same effect like some others are experiencing right now with current tunnelvision. I do not like any fixed FoV but 90 Hor has proven to be a sweetspot for the most people, and the further you take the number from it, the more people will potentialy get motionsick. And yes, if the devs decide to listen to the community and change it, it would also require from them reworking 'Shadowborn' and 'Monitor and Abuse' perks.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

As I said... if the devs were to implement this change all players are able to play in the setup they are most comfortable with... its not bad for balance... one side being an uncomfortable setup while the other in a good/comfortable setup is bad for balance.. again, players shouldn't have to come to the forumns and put heat on the devs because the chase music is up too loud again, that is something that should be in control of the players because diversity is a thing.. each and every player has their own preference of what is too loud or what is an enjoyable experience...

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

I mostly play killer, and I purposefully avoid using Shadowborn because it feels too good to use. I don't want to dedicate a perk slot to it 24/7 just to feel comfy, and I guess my personal preference is to have it around Shadowborn levels for everyone. I think a slider would be fine if the FOV could not go past 102 degrees. That way, players get a good bit of wiggle room in case they feel a bit sick playing at higher FOVs.

The only thing that concerns me is on the survivor side. If you have seen some stretched resolution survivor gameplay, you may have noticed that the stretched res allows them to see over walls that they shouldn't be able to. The best example of this are the hay bale tile in the farm maps that make an = sign with a pallet in between. You can't see above this normally, and the stretched res gives survivors the massive advantage of knowing where the killer is at all times. I don't know if increasing survivor FOV would cause that same issue, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626

In the year of our lord 2021 we shouldn't still have to edit the config file to uncap the frame rate.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,220

Regarding the devs insistence that the lack of options is for balance purposes: it's a completely asinine argument because PC players can still just force the options we want. 1:1 res and EQ the sound profile we want. Don't need a perk slot for Stridor. Takes all of 10 minutes and half a brain. Sorry console players, you aren't allowed to have these "options".

• Qikin

I agree with all of what you said. While I belive that games overall should have options so vast that most people wouldn't pick extreme values, I can agree that games like DbD really do not need a FoV with ridiculous numbers. For me, it's has to be about comfort and enjoyable experience as well as making sure that it's eye-friendly for other players.

Afaik survivors right now have different FoV than killer, altough I don't think it's a big one. Having said that, the reason why on stretched resolution you see more above and below you is because of Vert- scailing of FoV. What that means is that the game forces vertical FoV across every aspect ratio, so 4:3 gives an advantage over 16:9, not to mention ultrawides, which are just unplayable. If the devs decide to change scailing to Hor+, suddenly changing FoV wouldn't have such a big impact. Yes, survivors would still be able to see more over the wall but not as much as they would when using 4:3 or 1:1 streched.

That being said, I think we should leave balancing problems to the devs, because it's their job, not ours.