The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What makes you hate Deathslinger?

vacaman
vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

Well, that's my question, what about him makes you hate him so much? I can understand a bit the hate towards Spirit or even Freddy but i really don't get why Deathslinger is so hated. He's a 110 killer that you can completly negate his power if you play around predropping pallets on your second hit and teammates can help you avoid hits aswell so I'd be interested in hearing why you hate him when i quite enjoy playing against him, it's refreshing, different playstyle.

Comments

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

For me, I don't hate him. I really enjoy playing him, my one of favorites and I don't mind facing him. I much prefer him rather then Spirit for example.

To answer your question, I saw that people could dislike him because of "no counterplay". The only counterplay is Deathslinger misses his shot otherwise if he is rly good, you can't do much. On open maps it is even worse.

He also has much easy time to fake when he shots or when not, confusing the Survivor he is chasing.

• Anti_Alpha
    Anti_Alpha Member Posts: 63

Because I don't want to juke 24/7 because of his instant ADS. You either don't juke and get hit or you juke and lose all your distance because he can just wait until you're done juking and then quick scope you.

Pre-throwing pallets works sometimes but you'll run out of pallets quickly and this playstyle only works on a few specific pallets with large LOS blockers around them. This is also an incredibly boring way to play, because it doesn't take any skill whatsoever.

• Lexilogo
    Lexilogo Member Posts: 587

I am not a Deathslinger hater because I don't really play Survivor much, but I think its because he's a ranged Killer that, unlike Huntress (who has a projectile that's more realistically dodgeable) his aiming mechanics put much more of the skill into the Killer's hands than the Survivors. A Huntress that aims well can be dodged at a certain range, a DS that plays well is just going to hit you. It doesn't help that he's also balanced around ideas like his ADS being much faster (unlike Huntress that is always limited by a hatchet charge time to an extent and with bigger tells).

Its about what the Survivor can do from their perspective, or at least what they FEEL like they can do that usually causes this salt towards specific Killer mechanics.

• deadbyhitbox
    deadbyhitbox Member Posts: 1,117
    edited February 2021

He's a blast to play and has been my main for a long time now, but he is a complete snoozefest to face. The threat of him being able to insta ADS basically allows him to zone just by existing and puts the survivors into a lose lose situation. This is what makes him frustrating to some players.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

Range killers camp, proxy and patrol strong and if a survivor goes down near a gen setup before it is taken care you'll be in a 3v1 as in you'll be the 1 person even trying.

• Retromind
    Retromind Member Posts: 156

He's anti-loop and leaves little room for counterplay.

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

Very little warning with his smaller TR + M&A (which every Deathslinger runs). Compare to Huntress where she has a huge 40m lullaby.

And his insta ADS means counterplay is extremely minimal. Compare to Huntress where she has a windup time + noise for the survivor to have some feedback and warning to dodge.

• JediWithASniper
    JediWithASniper Member Posts: 670

I don’t like his breathing and guttural sounds.

• Kaiju
    Kaiju Member Posts: 530

Because I don't like guessing all the time I'm 'bout to take a corner ''Will she shoot or he will fake it?'' Literally the m2 is more used to fake it instead of actually using it. Same issue with PH. Hope they can address it asap

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

I don’t hate him, but I do dislike the very little warning when I’m somewhere with too many LoS blockers and can’t see where he is before getting shot.

Especially when he’s running M&A

• TheVolgun
    TheVolgun Member Posts: 34

For me it is how no matter what happens when he harpoons you he gets value, like you can shoot someone then if they manage to break the chain, sure you get stunned but, they still get injured and deep wounds, you can also harpoon someone and pull them and then, instantly drop the chain with no stun and hit them, and also the instant ads, like everyone else, has said is also really really silly. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything)

• Trashmaster
    Trashmaster Member Posts: 357

I don't hate the deathslinger, I hate the huntress for having one of the most cancerous abilities in the whole game.

Deathslinger constantly has to spend time and slow himself to reload and/or reel, then add missed shot cooldown, the optional but long stun for chain breaks and pallet breaking.

Meanwhile huntress tosses multiple damaging hatchets with a massive hitbox, bullshit add-ons and basically unlimited range, on top of that hatchets have a very short cooldown, with the slight downside of having to spend a few seconds to reload every now and then.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

A lot of the counterplay for Deathslinger comes into play when he's reeling you. When you're running a Deathslinger, yes you are going to get shot. What you need to do is get shot in a spot where you can hook yourself on a piece of level geometry or fall through a drop down or whatever so the Deathslinger can't follow up and actually down you. If you can successfully do that, you'll waste a ton of his time, time he flat out does not have.

What you need to do against Deathslinger is twofold. First, be HYPER aware of every single bit of the level around you. Things as benign as a random tree stump on the Swamp can save you from going down. Second, keep as much distance as possible. While Deathslinger does have range, he is more deadly the closer he is to you because he's less likely to miss and it is less likely you'll be able to get something between you when he's reeling.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Because with huntress hatches you have a chance to dodge. With deathslinger, you don't.

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 542

I think he would be fine if his terror radius was +8 on what it currently is. His hitboxes feel very fair though I feel like with him its either you know how to aim or you don't.

Once you master the quickshot with Deathslinger I don't feel you can really improve yourself all that much with him as you often run loops the same way.

I would rather face a Deathslinger than a Huntress with the way hitboxes are.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

It's not that he's too strong. I'd personally even buff him.

The reason he's not fun is because most the match comes down to if he's a good shot and nothing to do with you.

You're basically just randomly wiggling 24/7 guessing if he's gonna shoot since there's no feedback for insta scopes. You either end up getting hit with it randomly or you wiggled enough he just m1's you. There's no interaction with him.

This leaves the interaction very uninvolved with each other.

• DawnMad
    DawnMad Member Posts: 1,030

The only difference between his ability and an actual gun is the downtimes he gets and the fact that he cant down you through a pallet (but still can injure you). You can't do anything against him, you have no information on when he is going to shoot unlike Huntress, all you can do is try to juke around and pray he misses, which also loses you distance so he can literally walk up to you and hit you. His ability is like Nurse but remove the prediction part, remove map mobility and add a lot of downtime. You don't have chases with him since there is no way you run him around for more than a few seconds if he is good, you slam gens while he is reeling in/reloading/patrolling/hooking.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    edited February 2021

I hate the servers and the killers ping. I know he is fine when he has low ping since survivors are always able to react to me and i have had the occasional game where i could react to a deathslinger.

It is the ones at 80+ ping that have already shot you by the time you see the gun raise.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Wow. I’ve never thought his counterplay like this.

This is great advice.

So actually choose where he shoots me so I can easily break the chain and keep wasting his time?

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911

This is often the case especially since his range limit and movement punishes his map traversal and ability to seek out fresh prey. Huntresses doesn't have it as bad but the map needs to have some open terrain for her to go hunting. Deathslinger's put a lot of pressure on survivors and that is kind of the crux of why many find him unpleasant to play against personally I can handle the pressure but I understand that most survivors being casual will have a disdain for him this applied for billy as well where a single mistake cost you more then the traditional hit. There's also an expectation that a balanced killer has simplistic rudimentary counterplay. Hence why if you ask a survivor about a balanced killer they will name wraith myer's and a selection of very mid tier killers. In truth mid tier doesn't handle the crème de le crème of excellent survivors so most experienced killers will just write them off as fun but not competitive with the exception of some addons.

• hatchking
    hatchking Member Posts: 312

there are two types of people people that want something and hate it when they get it and others that didn't want it and loved it when they got it

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

I actually like doing against him, the only thing I dont understand is how sometimes you break the chain and don't get injured and other times you do.

• FFirebrandd

Exactly. When you're injured, give him an easy shot where you're somewhere you can get yourself behind something and prevent the hit.

I'll admit, pulling this off when you haven't played as him is probably difficult and this flat out didn't occur to me until I had played him a lot. But yes, Deathslinger has a lot more counterplay than people give him credit for. Most people don't see it though because they have a really bad habit of thinking getting shot is the end of the encounter. It isn't, but people think it is.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

Only 2 things I hate 1 upon getting shot if he walks backwards you can't seem to move left or right even slightly and 2 haveing basically no terror radius w monitor that's about it

• onemind

If your healthy it will injured you and have to mend and if you are allready injured you just have to mend

• Marigoria

I'm aware of that, the thing I dont get is that sometimes you dont get injured when you break it when you're healthy

• onemind
    edited February 2021

Ohh the only thing that stops that is he swinging because it let's go of the chain and if he dosent hit you that's when both dont apply

• FFirebrandd

That would be because you didn't actually break the chain.

If the Deathslinger doesn't want to eat the stun, he can M1 and manually disconnect the chain which won't stun him, but also won't Injure and deep wound you.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

The most often used argument is that your skill vs any good slinger doesn't matter which couldn't be further from truth. It's the same as saying that your skill doesn't matter vs good nurse which is equally foolish to say. They both drastically change gameplay fom reaction based looping to prediction based dodging which is shifted in killer's favor when they are really good at playing these characters.

Properly blocking LOS, making correct predictions on when the killer uses his power, smart pathing etc all that is very different from your general midless M1 looping so people aren't used to it in other words, they are bad at it so they don't like it & complain about it. With nurse to lesser extent as nurse bypasses survivor defences are more then slinger so she is also harder to play and less often seen thus less complained about.

Chasing a really good survivor, who knows how slinger works and is properly adjusted to him, can take ages to catch, even to amazing slinger, compared to someone who just runs straight, not thinking about single juke or LOS blocker at all.

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638

I don’t hate Deathslinger, but most I’ve gone against tend to stick around the hook. I don’t know if it’s a strategy for him or what.

Other than that, I don’t have a difficult time with him.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 571
    edited February 2021

The ability to instantly fire at any moment is pretty stressful and incredibly frustrating to deal with. The chain is incredibly forgiving and basically is a nonexistant mechanic unless you're on the other side of a pallet. To top it off, breaking the chain injures you so he doesn't even have to be able to hit you after his shot the first time in a chase.

Imo, they should give him the Pyramid Head treatment of making him have to aim for half a second before firing but they'd have to buff him in some other way to compensate. Or they could just make it so that if he's walking backwards the chain doesn't give the survivor zero control over where they go which gives them more opportunities to snag on things.

• CheyeneKL
    CheyeneKL Member Posts: 723

Honestly? My biggest gripe with him is the insanely small terror radius. EVERY DS I go against runs M&A, and with how quiet the beginning of his terror radius is, I've literally had him turn a corner and be on me before I hear his terror radius, and this is with me wearing good headphones and paying attention so that I don't get caught off guard. To me, this is just a weird design choice for a killer who can hit you from much further away than actual stealth killers, especially when you consider that the other long range killer has a wide range noise indication that she cannot rid herself of.

You give very good advice, but my main gripe with him also plays into why your advice can unfortunately be only situational (which is honestly good enough, tbh). Deathslinger can very often catch a survivor in a bad spot more easily than other killers due to the fact that he is almost a stealth killer himself. I myself choose to play immersive against him and avoid chases as much as possible for this very reason haha

Also, in my experience, a lot of Deathslingers don't shoot until they're at least close enough to you that you won't really have enough time+space to break the chain.

I have a question for you- my boyfriend had the idea that Urban Evasion might be a good perk against Deathslinger once in a while? He theory crafted that instead of juking around a corner to avoid a shot, he could instead crouch and move with UE to cause a miss. I thought it was a nice idea but that it was likely that the survivor hitbox would still be tall enough for a DS shot to nab him. I myself have never played Deathslinger, so I have no idea- do you tend to shoot the survivor in a spot on their hitbox where crouching would cause a miss, or does it tend to be further down where crouching would not ever really affect a shot?

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

That's...a take that I've never heard before but hey, the forums never cease to amaze me. Without add-ons Huntress' cooldown for a missed hatchet is 0.5 seconds longer than Slinger's (technically it's the same, it takes 0.5 seconds to actually shoot and the cooldown is 1.5 seconds). I will agree that her hitboxes are bad, but in terms of both killers missing a shot, it's basically the same.

• Marigoria

Did not know that ty :) you learn something new everyday

• FFirebrandd

I'm aware that Deathslinger is very good at catching out Survivors. Deathslinger is a ranged stealth killer after all. That's actually the primary reason to pick him over Huntress. Huntress has more range, can down faster, has more shots before reloading, and is just overall way more lethal than he is but... he doesn't have a 40m hum. The other reason is that he can actually use M1 perks. The main way to deal with Deathslinger potentially catching you out is the same as dealing with Wraith or Ghostface. Stay healthy and run to a loop at the first sign of him.

As for the UE thing. It depends on whether I'm firing over a loop or not. If I'm not firing over a loop, I'll be aiming roughly center of mass. When firing over a loop, I often have to aim at shoulder/head height. I don't think crouching will prevent a hit aimed at the middle of your hitbox, but I have absolutely missed shots over loops from Survivors ducking. The problem is that if I do shoot at you over a loop and miss, I've already slowed myself by ADSing, the miss cool down, and probably reloading... and since you're on the other side of a loop and I don't have a bullet anymore, you are free to stand back up and be faster than me for a few seconds. Though I suppose if I faked the shot, crouching to dodge would lose you less distance.

Honestly I've not had enough people try to use UE against my slinger to have any concrete experience with that. I would suspect that the classic options for handling Stealth Killers would serve you better. Spine Chill, Sprint Burst, healing perks, etc. I suspect I don't need to list them all.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804
    edited February 2021

you know those kids on COD who run powerful snipers that can kill in a single shot regardless of distance or where it hits and just spend the entire game quickscoping people? Deathslinger is that but without the constant micspam

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

I don't like shooting games, so it bums me out that he turns this into one -- that's the main reason I don't like him. If he even just threw the harpoon instead of shooting it, I'd be happier.

Outside of that, the small terror radius is annoying, and his sounds are annoying, but, if you go against a Deathslinger who's only intermediate level, you can often dodge just by wiggling while you run, so it's not that big a deal.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    edited February 2021

The fact that he can shoot me instantly and give me nothing to counter it. He can shoot you faster than you can react, but that is it.

He is kind of like spirit in a way because he doesn't give information to survivors as when he is about to use his power. Now obviously, he does but what is the point if by the time you see him aim he has already pressed m1 to shoot you?

If this was changed I would have no problem with him.