The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Survivor Queues :(

Ok....

So tonight marks the FOURTH night in a row where i sat in a queue as survivor for over 20 minutes and STILL no match. Whats going on here BHVR? Am i the only one facing these queue issues? I play killer and i INSTANTLY get a game i try survivor and...... NOTHING. I'm getting pretty bored with this game as i am forced to simply play one side because i am stretched for time at night as i do work a full time job. All i want to do is enjoy both sides of the game and these queues are preventing that from happening.

Please tell me if i am the only one or if any of you are facing the same issues on American Servers.

Comments

• ill_Boston_lli
    ill_Boston_lli Member Posts: 899

PS... If i finally do get a match its against a rank 20

• ill_Boston_lli

or... I GET RANK 20 TEAM MATES WITH a rank 1 KILLER ######### BHVR

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

NA East is near instant all day, every day. My guess is that there's no real reason to login at the moment. The battlepass is done and we're waiting for the Mid Chapter release. This has happened every time after the battlepass and stuff is done.

• ill_Boston_lli

i am in NA EAST tho

so idk what the issue is for me. I am rank one and my NAT is OPEN so i dont see why i sit in queues for so long after 7 pm

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Yeah, they're pretty bad. Not as bad as killer queues used be, but still pretty bad.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

We have several daily threads about this problem on both forums. Yet there always seems to be someone who claims that survivor queues are instant during the morning hours. So there must be no problem then.

I really wonder what those people are trying to achieve. There is obviously a problem and the devs should fix it. Ignoring it, will lead nowhere.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    edited February 2021

I'm sure the dearth of Killers has many causes. I'm on a break from playing Killer currently because of all the hackers. I'm a competitive sort, and just don't have time for tainted games. The toxicity as well as many other unaddressed issues too numerous to count has probably driven quite a few off or into just playing Survivor. Go figure.

I'm not a Debbie Downer, or negative on the game. It has its flaws (all games do) but it is a gestalt of many issues creating the current logjam. Who knows, perhaps the new update will give a little boost (although I doubt a big one). Chances are we aren't going to see any kind of real boost until the next big release.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

I'm doing my best but I only got so many games in me each evening. Killer queues truely are instant at the moment on west coast Canada, I haven't bothered to touch survivor tonight. Tried but the wait was to long.

Haven't encountered any toxicity tonight though which is refreshing.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

I don't necessarily think its a "Killer is no fun" problem.

Let me explain.

When I started out on Killer, the Killer queues were actually significantly longer than the Survivor ones. Funnily enough a friend of mine ended up back at rank 20 Killer because he hadn't played in quite a while and it was the same way. Rank 20 Killer queues are actually kind of painful.

Why?

Because the basics of Killer are much simpler than the basics of Survivor. Chase them, hit them, down them, hook them, find the next Survivor and repeat. Beginning Survivors on the other hand have no idea that looping is a thing, are bad at spotting windows and pallets mid chase, miss skill checks, and have a tendency to play very inefficiently. Throw together a game where legitimately everyone has only played the tutorial... the Killer will probably win.

Now, fast forward some... both sides are starting to get better and are starting to get teachables. Skill wise, Survivors have at least 4 different vectors to improve on that I mentioned in the previous paragraph. Killers have less ways to get better. Mostly mind gaming and moonwalking but attempting to learn those skills will make you worse before you get the hang of it. To make matters worse, Survivors can acquire nearly a full meta build (minus DS) by just maxing Meg and Bill. Killers simply cannot get a fantastic build by only investing Bloodpoints.

Those differences represent a massive difficulty spike for killer players with a bit of experience but not much. Honestly I suspect most don't force their way past it.

What does this result in? Well, 2 things. First a shortage of Killer players unless you're in Brown Ranks, and... the vast majority of Killers you run into will either be rank 15-17 Killers who are obviously not great yet or red rank vets with hundreds of Killer hours that have gotten the skills and perks necessary to pretty consistently wreck Survivors again and almost never will you get a killer in between those two extremes.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Why not play killer then? If killer is fast what's your reason not to play that side? Your answer probably answers your question... it's either not as fun or as easy on a regular basis

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977

This literally happens every few months.. survivor queue dies out and then DBD releases a patch and everything fixes for a while.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171

I think it depends on the killer. I've seen a lot of streamers and even a few friends struggle to figure out how killer is played. They struggle to find survivors and even struggle to chase them without losing the survivors. They don't even use their m1 very well let alone their killer powers. When they play survivor they struggle to find gens... But they manage to "loop" a bit. Although, I use the term loop loosely here.

Also, basement seems to be the bane of any new player. When they play killer they'll struggle to find the way down and the survivor Wiggles free. As survivor they can't find the way down and even when they do they struggle to deal with the killer.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,837

I’m Midwest NA and survivor queues are instant from around 4 am to 3 pm CST.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    edited February 2021

Maybe it's because one side of the player base is sick and tired of being nerfed for almost no reason while they are constantly and I mean CONSTANTLY ignored. It takes so unbelievably long for this dev team to address major issues killers experience but they fix survivor problem almost within a week of them showing up. Sure it took 6+ months to nerf undying but how long has DS been utterly busted, or OoO or any other number of abuse-able meta perks. I for one went from playing nearly every evening to maybe once every week after a 2 month break. Stop treating the killer player base like an used condom and at least make an effort to let us know you care just a tiny bit.

Actions>Words

• Epsydra
    Epsydra Member Posts: 89

This is the price to pay for allowing SWFs in this game. It's sad for you, but, at the same time, I'm glad to know that SWF waste more time on this game than I do.

• Asssblasster625
    Asssblasster625 Member Posts: 629

People don’t enjoy killer. Not everyone wants to have to sweat every game and deal with toxic people.

• Sukyandaru
    Sukyandaru Member Posts: 7

I have almost zero problem waiting on a match in a survivor queue. During the day in NA east form like 10am - 5pm instant matches, it slows down a bit in the night but I've never personally waiting more the 5mins or so waiting for a game, I use the wait time to flesh out my bloodweb or watch YouTube vids.

I also have crossplay enabled if that has anything to do with it

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,157

I'm NA East and I've never had to wait for 20m or more. My average ques are 3-7m I would say. Which is fine to me.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    edited February 2021

It probably does depend a bit on the player behind the Killer... but it doesn't change the fact that the tools given for free to new Killers are... kind of bad. Especially compared to the tools Survivors are given for free. I think the only "meta" killer perk in the free set is Tinkerer (which doesn't really become stupid good unless you have Ruin or Pop) and maybe you could argue Enduring. Over on the Survivor side, you've got Dead Hard, Sprint Burst, Borrowed Time, Unbreakable, Adrenaline, and Iron Will all of which are meta or very close to it.

In addition to that... the 5 free killers are all underwhelming for new players in one way or another. Trapper and Wraith are add-on dependent and kind of perk dependent too. Huntress and Nurse can be difficult to play. Hillbilly's rework made him quite a bit worse and it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of new killers used to get into higher ranks by playing Billy a lot.

All I'm saying is that if Newbie killers were given better tools, more of them would probably stick around.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 571

Queue times are atrociously bad at night for survivor and honestly, some nights I just don't want to deal with the toxicity or all the meta perks a SWF brings as killer so I just end up playing something else despite wanting to play DBD.

I do hope the devs end up implementing a system that rewards you for queuing as the lesser played side if queues are lopsided at any given moment.

• Olokun
    Olokun Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2021

i dont think it's a lack of Killer .

My idea is : there is an increase of ppl playing and limited amount of dedicaced servers so you are not waiting after a killer but you wait for a free lobby .

https://steamcharts.com/app/381210#All look at all players

edit: add link

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 571
    edited February 2021

It's not the players on Steam causing the disparity in queues. Or rather, they seem to have more killers than survivors because the queue times were lopsided the other way around before crossplay. And I highly doubt it has anything to do with server capacity. I believe it's just a problem with a very high amount of survivors queuing up and so few killers at night to fill the lobbies with.

The problem with queues is the overwhelming majority of players on consoles (which I'd imagine collectively outnumber Steam players by a pretty good amount) seem to play survivor exclusively. I can only imagine what their queue times must have been like before crossplay.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

It was the same 2 years ago yet two years ago everyone was playing killer and nobody was playing survivor.

The game was also harder for killers back then and easier for survivors.

But I agree 100% you are right that people just don't enjoy killer -- and likely the issue is that the game doesn't have as much longevity for killers because killers solo the game. Playing with friends is just so much better, and even playing in a team with a PUG is better. Solo play is just not as long-term as a team game.

I don't enjoy playing killer much. I do it every now and then for kicks but in general the gameplay doesn't appeal to me. I much prefer playing cat and mouse as the mouse.

• PigEmpress
    PigEmpress Member Posts: 79

Pretty much. It is actually more enjoyable to AFK purple and red rank games until you get to such a bad rank where you can actually play with a killer and have at least some fun.

Basically for every fun game I have I have to have 2-3 AFK games to get my pip to stay at a level where I can actually enjoy playing a killer. That is sure some excellent game design. /s

• Asssblasster625
    Asssblasster625 Member Posts: 629

I’ve almost stopped playing all together unless I’m really bored or my one friend wants to ######### around as survivors

• Epsydra
    Epsydra Member Posts: 89

So.

I have a friend who took up the game 1 hour ago. He just played his first killer game.

He spent the game taking paddles, getting blinded, and, in the end chat, he only had "Hahahaha", "noob", "baby killer so cringe", "ez noob".

As a result, he no longer wants to play the game at all.

Morality: we harvest what we sow.

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539

Maybe BHVR needs to create BOTS to be killers during long queue times?

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539

Or, the game is growing but more people are choosing survivor over killer than the 4:1 ratio. Ie both are increasing but noobs are choosing Surv too much.

• PigEmpress
    PigEmpress Member Posts: 79

...and there is nothing in the game alluring them to playing Killer so there is nothing rectifying the situation.

• lkalin91
    lkalin91 Member Posts: 150

Sure let me subject myself to a match full of stress and BM so that I could entertain some meta sweaty kids.

Thanks, I'll pass.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Yes, this happens so often. It´s quite sad. Some people really enjoy their bully simulator and go out of their way to make the other players feel miserable.

• Aldath
    Aldath Member Posts: 30

The queues are long because almost no one wants to play killer. The fun the survivors have on a match is on expense of the killer; if you kill them all then you're called a bunch of slurs, if you don't kill anyone, then prepare for harassment in the match and outside the match too.

And before you say "Not all survivors are that way", no, not all of them, but it's common enough that most people just don't bother anymore.

The pacing of the game and the power usage of many killers depends on the survivors entirely The survivors are not fighting against you as it was supposed to be; instead, it's you fighting against the builds of the survivors.

• Okapi
    Okapi Member Posts: 839
    edited February 2021

If y'all watched the dev Q&A today they admitted the lengthy queues for survivors at evenings was because of their not being enough killers for how many survivors are in lobbies. They also said the MM is working normally. The issue is that with not enough killers that are needed the MM system will after a period of time put any killer into a lobby to ensure survivors don't wait too long.

Hence the rainbow lobbies.