The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

New HUD Feedback

I'm sure this will get lost among all the other posts regarding the issue but I feel I should add my thoughts/feedback to the pile. I'm not a fan.

It's simply too spread out. With the old UI, there were only two references to check for information - bottom left corner and bottom right corner. Now it's spread all over the screen, making the HUD feel scattered and forcing players to constantly look at different angles for quick information. This takes away from them being able to concentrate and focus on the match itself.

The Survivor icons don't really fit the display and feel a bit out of place. IMO using the images for each survivor's "Adept [Survivor]" achievement icon would better match the display imagery currently used for the Hooked, Obsession, Marked and Sacrificed/Killed icons, seeing as the icons don't reflect cosemetics and only need to show which survivor is being played as. The achievement icons I'm referring to are these ones:

Additionally, having the survivor display in the top left feels like a bad move as it obscures that part of the screen, where a killer or survivor could be. It doesn't block much but it's enough to possibly distract a player from seeing someone on that part of their screen, which isn't an issue when the displays are in the bottom - it's just not possible for a player to be hiding at the bottom of the screen with how the camera works.

Without other information, the item/addon icons feel like they're just floating with nothing establishing. It's important to know what items you've got and what their charge is, but without anything else it's just an icon in the corner. Similarly the 'Hook Counter' for Killers kind of floats in between the survivors display and the power icon.

I definitely think that keeping all this information in more contained spaces benefits the game so much, especially as awareness and vision are so important for survival and killing. The old HUD was compact and neat - perks in one corner, survivors in another along with gen progress and your item for survivors/your ability for Killers. It was excellent design. I know that the old HUD is unlikely to come back because there needs to be space for the new Hook Counter display, but I do think it's a much better display than the new one.

I don't want to be excessively negative. Like I've said there are positives - the new Hooked counter is a great addition, the new animations are very fluid and knowing which character each player is using really helps in knowing what's happening in the match. But this new HUD is a downgrade in my eyes. Please re-evaluate this - it's so dizzying and you've done better in the past.

Comments

• pixelfixed
    pixelfixed Member Posts: 40

100% agreed.

• MadHippy
    MadHippy Member Posts: 31

This man said it all, and with the icons, it's brilliant idea !

Do it devs. Thanks

• senholo
    senholo Member Posts: 25
  • HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2021

I agree with this poster and I would like to add to his feedback 3 of my own.

First, using the colored portraits for Survivors is a terrible idea because it doesnt contrast enough against the dark background, the good thing about the old system is that white has a lot of contrast against dark colours, if someone got hurt, healed, unhooked or wathever the change of the white colour would inmediately make you notice something has happened and take notice of it, using colored portraits makes it much harder to notice status changes on a whim, if you dont want to use the blank featureless thingy you have been using, OP has suggested a great idea, the Achievement portraits tell who is who and they are white, fixing both fitting and lack of fast info problems.

Second, the Deep Wounds bar is to thin, last game I played against Legion and when I saw 2 people getting hurt I didnt even notice it was Legion because the bar is miniscule, I notice it when I saw Frank barreling towards me with a knife, in that moment I tought "the heck? Legion? how come nobody is deep wounded?" then I saw the thin string and noticed "ah crap, its just very very smal".

Third the exhausted status circle (and I suppose the rest of status circles) is a red circular bar over another red circular bar, its hard to tell how much is left of it without having to force your eyes.

• xlGhostWriterlx
    xlGhostWriterlx Member Posts: 2

Absolutely agree! It's so dizzying/confusing and I already have issues playing games bc of motion sickness, now having to look in several different area/directions and HOPE i can read it depending on where my character is facing is horrible.. I like the general idea of it(specifically knowing what team member is what character) however I would much rather it and the gen count be back in the bottom left corner compact and together.. this is a horrible mess imo and makes me not even want to play at this point

• NickChinchill
    NickChinchill Member Posts: 68

Ah thank you! This is pretty much what I imagined for it c: And thanks for chiming in guys, and pointing out things I hadn't yet experienced/noticed too.