Does anyone else like the new animations?

Options
ProfoundEnding
ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334
edited February 2021 in General Discussions

Because I love them! I'm talking specifically just based on appearance. Not because they may or may not be affecting gameplay. That can always be fixed.

I love the idle animation. Sure, it's not ideal in an realistic scenario but the old animation made the cosmetics stretch and look awful. Now they look great! Plus it opens up the door for some unique idle animations for each survivor. Maybe I'm getting my hopes up there.

Crouching, running, and walking just feel more smooth and "real". The exact opposite of stiff and robotic which someone actually used to describe these new animations. Are you kidding me?! These new animations are stiff and robotic compared to the old ones? They must not have played before this patch then. The characters have more movement then ever before.

I'm on the fence on the injured running. I don’t hate it but don't love it. I do like it more then the old animation though because our characters have flow and movement when they're running injured. They're not just a robot running at a certain angle.

All the other small details I love. Hatch escape when dying. Recovering when dying. Healing in general was polished a bit, recovering from dying to injured animation is awesome. There's not much I don’t like about these animations at all.

Sure they could be tweaked to be a little bit better. But please don't revert to the old ones. I don’t wanna play a robot with a hunched back again.

Post edited by ProfoundEnding on

Comments

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

I love them too! Besides the running animation with an item that looks a bit weird. New slugged animations are top notch as well

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    Options

Its a mix bag for me. Crawling looks better as well as having users look up and down is nice.

Some are pretty off like David kings injured run looks super weird. I imagine others are similar.

I like the direction of the animations. Just some need revisited.

• ProfGameAndTalk
    ProfGameAndTalk Member Posts: 326
    Options

Injured running looks like they need to poop. I think it's hilarious chasing someone that looks like they need a toilet. It's like I'm karma and I'm inflicting bowel punishment on these trolls!

• ProfoundEnding
    edited February 2021
    Options

I agree it isn't the best but I also don't hate it. I like that there's at least a step in their movements.

• ProfGameAndTalk
    Options

HAHA, I see what you did there. In their 'MOVEMENTS'? EHHH?? After my poop comment?? HUH?! HUH?! I'm a dad and I approve your joke!

• halfmanhalfape
    halfmanhalfape Member Posts: 153
    Options

I like the new animations mostly. The healthy standing animation I agree is a little scary and the injured running one looks like they need to poop I agree with too. But the rest seem ok to me.

• tomas11403
    tomas11403 Member Posts: 121
    Options

I personally despise the new movement, I feel limited by it when I am in chase in terms of mechanical setbacks, and in my opinion it looks unnatural and strange, especially when a survivor turns around quickly.

I really don't understand how people can prefer this clunky movement to old movement, which was very smooth with virtually no issues. I would love to hear why specifically you guys prefer it if you wouldn't mind sharing. (I'm not attacking anyone, just curious)

• ProfGameAndTalk
    Options

I don't love or hate it. I played maybe a half dozen matches as killer last night and it will just take some getting used to for me. I'm not really pushed one way or the other in terms of loving it or hating it. I do think the injured run is odd, but as I said in earlier posts, I just have fun with it.

• ProfoundEnding
    Options

I just love how realistic and smooth it feels. Sure some aspects need tweaking. It's not perfect. But anything introduced to the game that just makes it feel more real just makes the gameplay that much more immersive for me.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

I absolutely hate them, they look like they're going for a morning jog instead of escaping their death.

• rubixscube
    rubixscube Member Posts: 19
    Options

how can you feel limited in your gameplay by a change that was purely cosmetic?

• Femax
    Femax Member Posts: 1
    Options

I hate the new animation. the survivordont moving like robots, not like human who are worried about to die. Also the new gaphic( meatplent ) are why to bright. i mean i should be a game with a touch from a horror game. After all I ahte the new update.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    Options

They dont look natural esp. The standing one. They shouldve spent more time on it and taken into account the effect om gameplay/hitboxes...

• tomas11403
    Options

Because unfortunately it isn't just cosmetic, even though they said that it would be. Dodging a hatches or Punishment of the Damned is significantly more difficult now because turning to the side is more difficult now. I understand that a lot of my frustration is that it's new, and I guess I'll adjust to it a bit once they patch it up, but I cannot see any reason why they needed changing to begin with.

• ProfoundEnding
    Options

The standing one is the only one that might be a downgrade but I love how the cosmetics don't stretch anymore and how fluid the characters feel before and after they get into that stance. If you think someone standing straight up is unnatural I don't know what to tell you. It feels that way because we're not used to it. Of course it's gonna seem unnatural.

• tomas11403
    Options

I guess we disagree on it seeming realistic, but to each their own

• Trwth
    Trwth Member Posts: 921
    Options

I like'em. The injured animation needs more bounce and limp to be realistic though. It just looks like their body is petrified and trying to run while their legs are slowly being overtaken by frost.

• Chudze
    Chudze Member Posts: 2
    Options

The crawl animation is fine, the running when injured is terrible.

• ProfoundEnding
    edited February 2021
    Options

They didn't need the change. Just like we didn't need the generator animation change. They do it so the game looks more polished and professional.

The hud I believe was probably changed for more then just cosmetic purposes though.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    Options

The way they stand dont reflect that they are in a supernatural realm where a killer is trying to murder them is what i mean. There is no anxiety, alertness or fear in the body language. They stand like they are in JROTC inspection lol.

• halfmanhalfape
    halfmanhalfape Member Posts: 153
    Options

Hi so I thought I’d give a go at answering your question, see if I can clarify to myself to why I at least don’t mind the animation changes.

The animations transition more seamlessly into one another. Game looks more real, lifelike. That doesn’t mean some animations aren’t awkward, but you can see there are more frames to the movement.

I don’t see the strange stuttering or clunky movement other people are talking about. Again I play on the Switch, and movement has always been clunky. So it really hasn’t changed on the Switch.

The default standing animation is taller but thinner. I like how it is easier to peer over corners without exposing yourself. It seems easier to immerse for me. Some people say the survivors look like they’re jogging and I agree. But survivors have always been jogging I feel. The speed at which they run, it never felt like they were booking it to me.

Overall I wouldn’t say I prefer the new animations to the old one. The old ones were pretty good already and I had no qualms with them. I just have no qualms with the new ones either and can appreciate some things about them.

The most important thing though is that it affects peoples’ gameplay experience. It doesn’t seem to affect mine on the Switch so I have no problem with them, but I think that is people’s main complaint.

• Backrammstein_Th
    Options

pesimo mi no no me gusta que el surperviviente este erguido con toda confiana cuando hay un killer suelto por ahi

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

i dont particularily dislike the new animations, but god damn they feel clunky.

also, injured survivors look like they really gotta go to the toilet.

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080
    Options

I like them, but i miss the Ali Shuffle on controllers

• charliebrown9061
    charliebrown9061 Member Posts: 73
    Options

I like them

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425
    Options

They only look somewhat good from the survivor perspective. And still are stiff and missing animations between frames. Watch it from the killer perspective and it looks silly as #########.