Is there really anything you can do to counter nurse?

Options
dspaceman20
dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
edited February 2021 in General Discussions

I do everything to try and counter her i lose line of sight, I double backing at her a lot and I still get hit. I literally try everything and I still die. Its honestly unfair. It doesn't help that this patch make hits look even worse then before.

And people complain about bugs but a good nurse can completely ignore that and still 4k. I know it seems like a survivor main is complain but I honestly don't know what to do can someone please tell me what to do because honestly it feels impossible.

Post edited by dspaceman20 on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Be unpredictable. Hide/Break Line of sight.

That's pretty much it- but it works pretty well. It's why Nurse is so fun to play against; you don't get to do wacky fun stuff against any other killer.

Fast vault a window, and then slow vault it immediately back the other way? Against any other killer that is suicide, against a nurse, often a good play xD

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,741
    Options

Breaking LoS and trying to out mind game the mind gamer if you get stuck in a dead zone with nothing to break LoS.

• dspaceman20
    Options
  • dspaceman20
    edited February 2021
    Options

Mind game the mind gamer? How? Like what is the thought process?

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698
    Options

A good Nurse will catch you no matter how good you are at breaking LOS and playing off that. Stealth is 100% the way to go, and I hate saying this because stealth in this game is an extremely boring form of counterplay that should never be resorted to.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

Opinions vary, i think stealth is what makes the game fun in the first place. Juking the killer during a chase, not being found while you stay around the gen you worked on, wasting the killers time searching for you, i think its thrilling.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,394
    Options

Additional to the tips above you could watch how player in tournaments juke her. But against a really good nurse you need 4 really good survivor to win. The other 3 need to do gens.

• KIKI_
    KIKI_ Member Posts: 135
    Options

If the player is just better than you, then no. You are screwed. But that's the point, you are not supposed to outplayed better players than you.

Best advice I could give you is play nurse. If you are not willing to put too much work into improving and understanding nurse to a deep level, then try to play by following no patterns. Be messy, use line of sight wisely, understand how much time she needs to blink x amount of distance, learn when to walk and when not to. The list goes on. Often times immersive survivors are the harder ones.

But again, good nurses understand pretty much all of this and more. You shouldn't expect to perform better than them if you don't understand these things as well (or at the same level as them). That's not logical

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676
    Options

As with all strong chase powers, all you can do is make it hard for them to land their power. There isn't any good chase power that has 100% counteplay that works every time.

You need to do a lot of predictiong, clever pathing, properly breaking LOS etc which is all risky and can result both in success or failure depending on which player reads the other one better.

Killers like Nurse, spirit, slinger, hag, huntress, PH all have extremely strong chase powers when used at the highest skill level. That still doesn't mean that their powers are foolproof, even the best players make mistakes if you know how to properly play againt their power.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,870
    Options

LOS. If the nurse is competent, she will blink to the last position she saw you and follow up with the second blink. LOS that too and make her take a choice.

As others said, be unpredictable.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Simplest advice i can give you is to learn how to run in a straight line when your uninjured.

Never try to spin a nurse attack. Just prepare to use the speedboost from getting hit to get as far as possible.

Same princliple when she misses an attack. Try to have a los blocker if you can but the simplest thing you can do is just create distance.

Long distance blinks are hard so most nurses will just blink to reduce the distance and then start chasing again. This is very time consuming so that's one simple thing you can do to make the nurses life harder.

Not always the best thing you can do but it will never be a bad thing to do vs nurses

• snax9111
    snax9111 Member Posts: 67
    Options

do ppl still play nurse ?

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

Run her for as long as you can and hope your team is actually doing something.

You should never be uncatchable.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442
    edited February 2021
    Options

Try better and practice more, there nothing more to tell you than that. Watch videos if you feel you need to, If you are good enough even the best nurse will lose a lot of time while catching you.. I don't have hours in the game at sick level, but with 2k hours and mostly as killers, i can give a very hard time to nurses so its not that difficult.

And one last things... even if you are the best survivor in the world or the best nurse in the world you are not supposed to always trick the killer or always get 4k. No one can do that, if someone say that its a complete liar, its just trolling or have a massive ego.

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,658
    Options

No.

You can break LoS and be unpredictable. It'll help, especially against average Nurses.

Good ones though? There's a reason the DS-Unbreakable 4-man combo is considered by many to be the bare minimum to win against one.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210
    Options

My plan is to be entirely unpredictable. You mentioned doubling back, but I instead move at a straight line if I know the first blink can't reach me and try to juke the second blink so I can gain more distance. Doubling back is a smart idea, but many nurses don't blink the entire duration of they see you doubling back, they'll do a half-distance blink. So I pretend to double back, they'll half-distance blink which won't be enough and then I return to running on my original direction.

Another common strategy is to not think, if you don't know what you're doing, how will they be able to predict your movement? Kekw

• BreadPanda
    BreadPanda Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2021
    Options
    • Be unpredictable. If you always double back, a good Nurse will adapt to that. If you always fake a vault or you fast vault a window then slow vault back, a good Nurse will adapt to that too. Switch up your tactics so that she won’t be able to easily predict what you’ll do next.
    • Break line of sight using map props and tile sets. You indicated you do this already but it’s worth repeating.
    • In the same vein, use the environment and large map props to your advantage. There are large boulders, tire mounds, hills, etc. which a Nurse will struggle to blink through. Although these likely won’t stall a good Nurse for long, you can cheese a less skilled Nurse by using these to break LoS and forcing her to waste her blinks.
    • Utilize stealth. Spine Chill and Iron Will can be particularly troublesome if multiple survivors are running them at the same time. If the killer is struggling to find survivors while they’re still able to work on gens, that’s a lose-lose for the killer. Nurse can’t end chases quickly if she can’t find survivors in the first place.  
    • If you’re not stealthing, hold W and make distance. It can be surprisingly difficult to catch up to a survivor who keeps running and making distance. If she’s not running blink recharge or fatigue decreasing add-ons this can be even more effective.
    • If you haven’t already, practice playing Nurse to get a feel for her limitations, i.e.: how her blink interacts with the environment, how long it takes for her blink to recharge, how long her fatigue lasts and how each of these things is impacted by various add-ons.
    • Get good with flashlights. You can flashlight a Nurse in between blinks which actually denies her of her chain blink. If you go for a killer blind, you'll either force a blind on her and she'll have to cancel her blink, or she'll have to turn away and/or blink away to avoid the blind. I wouldn't recommend going for a full burn, though, because it takes too long and won't ever be viable against a halfway decent Nurse.
    Post edited by BreadPanda on
  • stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526
    Options

Well, there aren't many good nurses so there's that. You are trying the right things but, a good Nurse with 1k+ hours in the game is playing better than you, respect it.

• chadbeastofprey
    chadbeastofprey Member Posts: 437
    Options

use iron will (you should already be running this in every build imo), don't be predictable, KEEP RUNNING/KEEP YOUR DISTANCE. The amount of times I see my teammates hide behind a ######### rock or something after a nurse miss-blinks is so maddening. You always want as much distance as possible against a nurse.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

This is the best Nurse runner I know. He drives me nuts. Luckily I didn't make this montage but he's made me look like an idiot plenty of times. Note that he doesn't make one move. It's a series of moves and his movement is very fluid/snappy. There's usually never any telegraph on it. LOS breaks+direction changes. He also uses the environment extremely well to induce auto-aims.

• dspaceman20
    Options

It seems like he 360s a lot. But is 360 even possible nowadays?

Also thank you for the video. I honestly thought pallets against nurse was useless.

• Jyn_Mojito
    Jyn_Mojito Member Posts: 515
    Options

Stealth has worked best for me. I find a lot of Nurse players will blink to a generator after I complete it, so I crouch away and try to find a bush or locker to hide in. And don't immediately leave once their TR is gone- they often double-back to try and catch you, which helps them waste time.

• halfmanhalfape
    halfmanhalfape Member Posts: 153
    Options

Hah this sometimes works. When you break LoS, do something no sane person would do, like stopping and crouching at that corner. Or making some tea, or getting yourself a snack.

Hey even if the Nurse catches you, you made yourself a sandwich amirite?

No but seriously, sometime you just do what no sane person would do and keep the Nurse guessing, and then the next time you act sane again and it gives you that much more time to get away. This works sometimes but when it does it’s really funny(for you and for the Nurse hopefully).

• edgarpoop
    Options

Still possible just can't generate as much momentum. He usually 360s if there's nothing else he can do to avoid a hit

• Dovahkat963
    Dovahkat963 Member Posts: 46
    Options

I haven't been able to properly experiment with this but as far as I can tell from playing Nurse myself, she can't check lockers after blinking, and she can't cancel a blink once she starts charging it. So if you see her charging a blink, jump in a locker if one is nearby. She can't do anything about it and you can burst out during the fatigue. All the better if you happen to be running Head On as well.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994
    Options

It's enough if you double back. But a better nurse sees that one time and will not fall for that anymore.

• JediWithASniper
    JediWithASniper Member Posts: 670
    Options

Mind games.

You have to get in her head.

I find that chaotic pathing helps confuse, but then you have to throw in predictable pathing, and ultimately trick her so that you can make distance. LOS is big, but it’s not everything. It’s just one piece of the puzzle. Don’t do the same thing twice in a row, but then do the same thing three times in a row. She’s reading you, but the biggest piece of the puzzle I’ve found is that you have to read her. Just like you have a play style, so does she. It’s a little different with each one you encounter. If you play only for breaking LOS, that is a pattern that helps nurse predict where to blink to, remember that. Make her think you are playing LOS, then make an immersive play.

Hope anything there helps.

• JediWithASniper
    JediWithASniper Member Posts: 670
    Options

Where’s Sam Fisher as a playable character when you need em, ammiright?

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

I got off a pallet stun on a nurse while blinking the other day. I think it really surprised him because he tunneled me hard after that, lol. If it wasn’t for another fool stumbling into the chase I wouldn’t have gotten away. That time at least, still didn’t make it out that round, but I was the last one at least.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

Now find someone who is playing at native resolution instead of cheating.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

Suggested strategies are fine but I say take some time just using her. You'll pick up on strategies that work for her and see first-hand what works against her. A great player killer or survivor will make you feel powerless in the face of their opposition, but that's experience mitigating mistakes.

• edgarpoop
    Options

Every one of those Nurses is playing on 1440 minimum. I know one for a fact plays on 1080x1080. Everyone in that is on stretched. It's not doing anything against a Nurse anyway.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options

Forget about pallets.

Forget about looping around objects.

Look, the World just opened up to you.

Keep your distance. Preempt running away if you think she is coming towards you. Giver her as little information of your position as possible.

Remember, the game is meant to have short to mid length chases. You are not supposed to run the killer through the whole match. Just need to take as much time as you can so other teammates can do generators.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options

Like most montages you see on Youtube. They never show you the fails.

• dspaceman20
    Options

I'm not trying to run the nurse for the whole game. If I do great if not then that's fine. Every chase I go into with a good nurse it ends up being really short and my team doesn't get enough progress on the gens.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

The best you can do against a nurse is break LoS and be unpredictable. If shes good your screwed.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    Options

DC is the only guaranteed counter to nurse.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    Options

There are literally streamers who win 50 games in a row on either side. You most certainly can always get 4k or always trick the killer if you are the best in the world .

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,789
    Options

If it's a really good nurse, I don't think there's much you can do. If it's an average nurse, run out into the open, let your mind go blank, and literally don't decide which way you're going to dodge until you hear her inhale. Then turn in a random direction and, when the screech is done, turn in another random direction. Get distance while she's fatigued and repeat the process.

• tariousx
    tariousx Member Posts: 156
    Options

Just do what survivor mains always do, scream in these forums for nerfs, then make alternate forum accounts and scream louder for nerfs. BHVR will 100% listen to your cries as you make up 4/5 of their microtransaction market base. Nurse nerf soon promise :).

• dspaceman20
    Options

I don't want nurse nerfed I just want tips to handle a chase with her.

• Midori_21
    Midori_21 Member Posts: 723
    Options

Be unpredictable. Never do the same thing twice in a row. If you keep doing the same movement pretty quickly the nurse is going to adapt to that movement, so you have to change your tactic frequently so as to trick/jebait her and not get caught.

• Hyuu
    Hyuu Member Posts: 32
    Options

Tbh, a good nurse player has no true counterplay. Survivors have only 2 things to counter killers. Pallets and vaults. Nurse counters both. But the thing is, her skill celing is so high that it is rare to encounter a good nurse, but when you do, the game becomes so unfun.

• Shenlong1904
    Shenlong1904 Member Posts: 293
    Options

One important thing i haven't seen people mention is W GAMING. Nurse is so slow even if optimally using blinks