Breakable walls have ruined the game

This is such terrible design. You chase a survivor about 10m and suddenly there's a breakable wall, many of which effectively end the chase. At least with a pallet the survivor drops it directly in front of you, with the walls they're often near to strong windows, and the survivor gets the window and you have to walk around to a breakable wall, break it, and then walk around a wall and by that point the survivor is so far ahead there's no point continuing the chase.

It completely breaks the flow of the game. I know you haven't playtested these because the updates over the past year make it clear you don't playtest anything but they're just such a chore as killer and dull for survivor since half the areas you used to know can be blocked off.

Worse still are some like coal tower where it's just an omega level infinite until you break not one but 2 breakablel walls, AND there are even pallets near by. So the survivor just loops the place ad naseum until you waste your time smashing all the doors in one building by that point they've long gone and the gens are popping while you're stood there chopping wood like it's damn Minecraft.

These are abysmal. The maps in your game are getting worse with every update and whoever is designing these clearly doesn't understand the game at all. I'd like to know the playtime of the map designers

Comments

• ArtoTime
    ArtoTime Member Posts: 35

It certainly hasn't ruined the game, but yes, absolutely, it is terrible design. Having to break a wall like that just to be able to play shouldn't be a part of the game...

• I don't mind groaning storehouse as much where it's 1 breakable wall but some buildings in the game have 2/3 and pallets around them and the walls MUST be broken.

Remember when they were first implemented and the developers talked about making them a choice? to allow alternate routes? or where the killer may or may not want to destroy them? but in the end most of them are just "break this or else be faced with an infinite"

It's so dumb. It's so ######### dumb

• shitman
    shitman Member Posts: 203

to break them in advance at the beginning of the game and will not have problems

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

On paper they seemed like a nice idea but in practice I feel they don't add anything to the game.

It's was meant to be something of a choice but lately with the reworks it's either needing to break them or leave a god loop up or it would be stupid to break them as it open up longer loops/God loops. There is no real choice when it comes to these.

I know the concept sounded good but it is something the devs themselves really need to think about as the implementation of any mechanic which doesn't wield the results of enhancing the experience itdoesn't make sense to keep it in the game.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911

Your down on time at the most important point of the game. This is still worth doing to any nearby problem doors but its added early game pressure killer doesn't need.

• Lexilogo
    Lexilogo Member Posts: 587

It's all about how they're used in maps. Unfortunately, at present they aren't being used particularly well.

This is a concept that would also require map changes, but if you really want to flip the script, one could just allow Killers to walk through the walls, breaking them in the process. Suddenly, they have essentially become reverse pallets, the one environmental feature in loops that's actually on the Killer's side.

• If I start in the saloon I do but when you start at the other side of the map there's no point walking there just to break the pallets. Same for any map.

Otherwise if killers are all gonna have set up time you might as well just play Trapper now. Let a few gens get done for free before you start playing

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

So you want them to back to SOLID walls and actual infinites?

• cyniChris
    cyniChris Member Posts: 207

They cover up previously-open doorways, some of which were implemented to REMOVE infinites (ie; Groaning Storehouse & Ironworks of Misery main buildings). The breakable walls add the infinites back with what is basically a pre-dropped god pallet.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

Considering the current kill rates of Killers in this game, most of whom being over 70%, I'm gonna go ahead and say there's nothing wrong with a one time save of a breakable door.

However, I do agree with Scott Jund's suggestion that they should be something Survivors build rather than being there automatically. Give it a build timer so Survivors have something else to do.