Kids playing this game despite it's being rated PEGI 18

Bored123123
Bored123123 Member Posts: 6
edited February 2021 in General Discussions

This game is meant to be sold for adults only, so why I am seeing 15 y.o. or younger kids in it?

Comments

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 815

No, age rating can vary a lot depending on the country, in mine dbd is rated 18+.

(USK guidelines are applied for every platform, so the rating on Steam/Xbox/... is the same.)

In general I agree with what other people have said, whether someone is mature enough for a game or not is not only dependant on age, some adults behave badly aswell. But for minors is should be the parents job to make sure that their children are mature enough for the game, that are playing they.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

It's up to parents to police what their kid does, both fortunately and unfortunately. All that can be done is to stop things being sold to certain age groups and hope that filters out the majority of immature people.

Not that I haven't seen a ridiculous amount of immature "adults," but who tf can police them?

• xxDeathwishDW
    xxDeathwishDW Member Posts: 138
    edited February 2021

It changes for regions. In my country it was 13+ lol. Now it's 15+. Kids play game on their own. No one can do anything about it. Also there is actually no way to know if a person is "child" when selling a game. Only possible thing is that we can use our affinity cards. However, if BHVR tries to do that, well... %25 of the players will be gone so it'll be a big problem on their part. %25 player loss is a big number.

And oh, their parents can buy it for them lol. And since cops can't come to the every house where someone plays DbD, you must deal with it.

• Alionis
    Alionis Member Posts: 1,021

Many rating systems are too strict when it comes to the labels for 15/16+ and 18+, mostly originating in ignorance and underestimating the maturity of adolescent teens when it comes to "violence" in video games. Dead by Daylight is definitely not a game that could even come remotely close to "mentally scarring" teens at that age, or even pre-teens. It's neither photorealistic violence, nor gory one in the first place.

• idektbh
    idektbh Member Posts: 129

Well, when I was a kid I played mortal kombat, God of War and all the kind of game I shouldn't so I'm kinda of an hypocrite for saying this, but I wish kids just couldn't play this game.

I think the majority of the toxicity in the game comes from the kids in the community, they rage over the minimum things, complain about everything and trash-talk everyone (not every kid, but most who do these stuff u can tell are kids)

• NickChinchill
    NickChinchill Member Posts: 68

Age ratings on a game are, in part, due to the lawsuits that happened in the early 90s I believe, following claims that game slike Mortal Kombat and Night Trap (an old FMV style game) were harmful to children. Much like how movies ended up getting a ratings system too. Ultimately it's meant to protect kids, yeah, but moreso it protects the companies/makers of the games. If it's marked as not being suitable for a child then they're not accountable when a child plays it, by getting their parent to buy it or whatever.

Whether or not it's too strict or a waste of time or what have you, it's just there so people can enjoy video games without moral gaurdians clutching their pearls and banning all video games from having any sor tof violent or 'adult' content in them at all. And let's be real; kids will attempt to get hold of mature rated content cos it's exciting and forbidden. There's far worse things they could get a hold of than a video game with a bit of blood in it.

• Afius
    Afius Member Posts: 563

It's really up to the parents honestly DBD isn't really bad when it comes to it's severity and that it is a fictional setting look at fnaf, killer animatronics with serial killer souls and souls of dead children. Albeit ones gameplay and one isn't but that's a huge hit with kids.

On the case of immaturity on player interaction it has nothing to do with age. Granted it's more noticeable when some squeeky preteen is yelling profanities at you but that's more parents not using soap or hot sauce. I've had 10 yr olds act more mature then some 30yr olds. It's really parents gauging their child's maturity level and sadly most of the time the parents are more like "we don't say no to Johnny because it's negative".

I wouldn't mind less squeekers in my game but if they can play well I really don't care.

• SpookyPumpkinPiez
    SpookyPumpkinPiez Member Posts: 278

It's not so bad. Maybe the concept of putting someone on hooks is a little violent, but it's not gory

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

I remember one of the first games I ever played was GTA Vice City when I was like 5. Loved that game lmao.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

Age ratings mean little to nothing and parents should, for the most part, ignore them entirely. They only exist because of politics and bureaucracy.

I still remember my first time watching A Nightmare on Elm Street when I was like 8 years old. ######### was dope. Sometimes I wish I could still get that same feeling from watching horrors. The charm is all gone now.

That scene at the start of Scream, with the tree. Seeing that for the first time when I was a kid. Good #########. I miss that.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

Ah same man. Mowing people down in the streets and killing hookers to get your money back. Simpler times.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    edited February 2021

Ahh, you kids today with your ratings. Back in my day the ESRB was still Tipper Gore's fantasy, and my mother would purchase her darling boy any game, believing all video games must be meant for kids. Did it mess me up? Look I'm not the one on trial here!

Seriously though, given how many sales are digital now, as long as they have access to their parents card, they're going to get the game, without so much as a teenaged store clerk to get in the way. While I would like to believe any child playing has their parents permission, I also remember back when I was a kid and my parent's permission was never a priority for my actions. (Also everything is in black and white, but I'm not going to worry about that now)

That's why when I get a badly spelled message after a game, I just reply with a simple "Have a nice day". I don't feel like teaching the youth new profanity they haven't discovered on their own yet.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

And this is unusual? Dude, I'm in high school and I still play this game, and other rated Ms' so It doesn't come to me as a suprise really

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328

Who cares? Kids these days are not as impressionable as they seem.

• Mileena_Kahn
    Mileena_Kahn Member Posts: 600

Imagine complaining about kids playing a mature game. Bruh, I got introduced to mortal Kombat when I was 6 and I’ve still been playing for 10+ years. Such a Karen.

• PhantomChimera
    PhantomChimera Member Posts: 668

You might want to check again on Steam and possibly the others. On Steam it is rated Mature and says 17+.

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454

not related but i remember my mom buying me blaster master when i was 7 lol gl beating blaster master at 7

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

Uhh, I don't really think it matters that much.

• Hex_Salt
    Hex_Salt Member Posts: 443

Age ratings differ from countries but youre original point is correct. A survivor messaged me trying to trash talk...they were 7 they told me...its called bad parenting

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

The age ratings aren’t there to stop kids from playing the game lol. All they do is tell you what to expect in the game and force the kid to have an adult with them or buy it digitally. I was playing games like Mortal Kombat at eight years old, the ratings didn’t stop me lol.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

Every kid is different, every parent is different. DEAL WITH IT

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

17 in US.

Also:

Not like Steam checks your ID.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Same reason I watched Alien in 1984..because I could and my parents was not around. Gave me nightmares though..I don't think 15 year olds will have nightmares playing DBD.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I wish I had seen Alien near the time it came out.

Instead, my school showed me Passion of the Christ when I was 6

• Sadsnacks
    Sadsnacks Member Posts: 677

IDK I used to play on XBOX before switching to PC and I had a group of kids I consistently played with who were likely all between the ages of 8-13. They were super fun to play with and spent most of the time in KYF as opposed to actual lobbies. I remember we once spent an entire match playing leap frog through different vault windows which really entertained the killer lol They all watched samination and stuff like that so for them it was really just a place to goof off

But would I let my Kids (should I ever have any) play it? Hell. No.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

When I was a kid I played everything. I bet you did too. Don't be so hard on kiddos they can be nice too.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited February 2021

This. We shouldn't have to put any laws in place because parents aren't doing their jobs.

Plus id rather expose kids to them rather than hide them from it. It's like my favorite comedian Gabriel Iglasius said. "My girlfriend is trying to protect her son from the world. I'm trying to prepare him"

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

Welcome to videogames where kids play videogames way before they are supposed to. GtA is far worse and far more common tbh

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

Age ratings are advisory tools. Stores selling physical copies might have policies that prohibit them from letting obviously 12 year old little Timmy walk into the store, pick the newest GTA off the shelf and buy it or something, but nothing is going to stop the parents from walking in to buy it for the same kid. And such restrictions usually only exist for the highest ratings seen in regular stores (18+, 17+, M, whatever it's called).

And just look at how some games can get wildly different ratings from different rating boards depending on how the boards view different kinds of content. The Sims 4 for example has age ratings ranging from 6+ (Germany) to 18+ (Russia). Yes the latter is for blatantly homophobic reasons, but it's also rated M in Australia too for reasons I can't really wrap my head around. But hey, it's the rating they landed on and it doesn't seem to be for any bizarre bigoted reasons.

It's not a perfect system at all and I honestly wish more emphasis was put on the little "content warning/descriptions" that are often considered secondary to the overall age rating. The "Violence" box that can have subtitles ranging from "Cartoon Violence" to "Realistic blood and gore" and the equivalent ones for sexual content, drugs, fear/horror, gambling and whatever else. That's actually potentially useful information that can say something about the game no matter what the final rating is decided to be.