Is Roblox Legal?

My apologies, I am clearly late to the party. My kids have only just recently told me that their Roblox game actually has DBD servers. The game is certainly DBD for kids version, however I am curious on whether this is actually legal?

Comments

• PerfectlyPink
    PerfectlyPink Member Posts: 435

There are a LOT of factors that can change the answer. I'd say it's safe to say that it is legal. Interpreting something in your own way is almost always okay. For example: Using a song like "Paint It Black" in a video is illegal, but say you preform the exact same song with different instruments, then it's usually fine. Usually being the key word. If you were to not give credit, or directly profit off that song that you preformed, then it'd be illegal. If the original creator came to you and told you that you weren't allowed to use that song, then it'd be illegal.

• Lexilogo
    Lexilogo Member Posts: 587
    edited February 2021

If Behaviour got up and said "Take that down", they would be within their legal rights to have it done. They presumably have a trademark on "Dead by Daylight" as a videogame, so another videogame saying it's "Dead by Daylight" even if it's a Roblox server and even if it's not making money off the license isn't within its rights. (note: all the "as a videogame" stuff is pretty important. BHVR would struggle more to use the same argument against a transformative work of fanart or etc)

With that said, content creators utilising copyrighted material happens all the time, and as long as they don't turn a profit off the license and don't try to pretend the IP is theirs, usually, people don't mind. It'd only be properly "illegal" if Behaviour objected to its existence.

• burntFuse
    burntFuse Member Posts: 290

Whether or not it's legal isn't your problem. You're in no way liable for playing it. The biggest issue you have on your hands if there is a legal dispute is that the game will be removed and people won't be able to play it any more.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

It's also a server in Roblox that next to no one plays, because it is horrible.

If your kids want a "Dead by Daylight" type game that is actually more fun than the real Dead by Daylight (sadly, a low bar), tell them to play Flee the Facility in Roblox. Easy to get full matches, too, as that Roblox game is running 20k to 40k people depending on time of day.

• LethalPugy
    LethalPugy Member Posts: 493

In 1987 under the Robloxian Code of Conduct Section 3B Paragraph 4 it clearly states

“Thou shall not rip off mediocre horror games” Tom Holland 4:20

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

BHVR and Nintendo are different companies, so it's fine.

I'm sorry Nintendo, I still love you, but it is true.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I'm disappointed this wasn't already here.