Wraiths total invisibility buff | It is good, but he still needs more love

Yords
Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I have been playing a lot of Wraith lately to see how well his buff affects him, I have to say that I am definitely not disappointed.

I can actually sneak around without being seen while cloaked. I can literally walk up to 8 meters close to survivors before they can even notice me. I only got to go against one decent Wraith player (with less than decent teammates so I didn't see much of that Wraith), but he was able to sneak up on me on the farm map in an open area. He used a tree to close the gap with almost no warning which was clever.

That being said, he still needs work done. He is still just an m1 killer in a chase and his cloak still needs purple windstorm base kit, for starters.

"But why does he need purple windstorm base kit, wouldn't it be too strong especially with the other windstorm addons?" - He needs purple windstorm because it feels just right and is not incredibly powerful, even a Wraith with a green and purple windstorm addon is not overwhelming. Purple windstorm allows Wraith to keep up with survivors and really thrive off of his hit and run playstyle. However, it is important to note that the windstorm only helps him getting around the map, switching targets, and starting chases with survivors, he is better at getting the jump on survivors but not necessarily getting hits which allows him to be looped quite easily.

His addons are another issue, there are some that have powerful effects but are just weak and really don't have a use. Take the addons that make him kick things and vault much faster for example, what is the point of that if you can only do it when you are cloaked? How about buffing his addon that blinds survivors for 60 seconds to at least 90 seconds? Other than a select few, they just aren't strong at all.

As I said, he is still pretty weak in a chase since he has nothing but his stick little legs to help him.

Comments

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,234

I am surprised with how scary he has become with the buff to his invisibility. If it wasn't for Spine Chill, I'd have to change my undies more frequently. Is it just me or did they reduce the sound of his foot steps. It's been a while since I played him, but when playing survivor, I remember him being louder. I can still hear his snarling, but just no longer the thump thump thump of his feet.

As for your suggestion, I agree that windstorm should be added to his base kit, but I'm only going to ask for the yellow one since the devs are scared to buff killer powers.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893

They wanted to make it like Freddy how you can’t see him within a certain range. If I were to buff Wraith I would increase his cloaked speed to 196% speed and nerf the windstorm addons to 2/4/6%. Then I would silence him completely he makes no noise or footsteps sounds while cloaked and finally I would remove the woosh sound that happens when wraith cloaks

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

I'd like to point out that they also buffed his uncloak speed burst duration by 0.25 seconds. This is a huge deal as it crosses a break point where he can uncloak behind a Survivor that is already running away and still get the hit with a lunge.

• CriticalWeasel
    CriticalWeasel Member Posts: 378

It's a big improvement, now he can get close enough for me to not notice him across the map.

• Yords

I agree on the purple windstorm being base kit part, but not for the bone clapper. If on any rarity, the bone clapper should be very rare. It is literally his second-best addon after the coxcombed clapper. It deserves to be a very rare addon.

• Yords

They didn't buff his uncloak speed, they buffed the speed he gets after coming out of stealth by .25 seconds. You can read it in the mid chapter patch notes.

• Yords

The yellow one is meh honestly. Like I said, the purple one is fantastic and should be base kit because it feels just right. I have used it on both large and small maps and I have to say that it definitely helps, and is not op by far. Remember, the windstorm only helps him when he is cloaked, so it only helps him switch targets and get around the map. He could have all of the windstorm addons and still be weak because of his low chase potential.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Changes I'd make to Wraith:

• While Cloaked, Wraith now moves at 5.61 M/S.
    • Yellow Windstorm now buffs movement speed to 5.8 m/s
    • Green Windstorm now buffs movement speed to 5.98 m/s
    • Purple Windstorm now buffs movement speed to 6.16 m/s
    • Post Cloak Boost now lasts 2 seconds (up from 1.25)
    • "Shadow Dance" White, and "Shadow Dance Blood" now remain in effect for 10 seconds after uncloaking.

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

Hard disagree on Bone Clapper being his second best add-ons.

Coxcombed Clapper isn't even his best add-on. His best add-on by far Is Windstorm - Blood. Wraith doesn't need more stealth, he needs more speed. Maybe it's because Coxcombed and Bone Clapper don't go into my playstyle as Wraith, but I think they're far from his best. Coxcomb Clapper is really only good with Ghost, as the heartbeat still starts up immediately- And even then, the "Whoosh" sounds always plays.

Both All-Seeing variants are better for the information they give. All-Seeing Blood is honestly in a league of it's own. Coxcombed and Bone are good, just not his best. Wraith can trap unaware survivors without Coxcombed anyways- And unless they're near a pallet, hiding behind a tree or a wall is bound to get you a hit anyways.

• Yords

I disagree with your disagreement.

The speed is glorious, but I think that the clappers are superior because of one crucial fact. They both help him get the initial hit when starting a new chase. I myself play quite a bit of Wraith and I can say for sure that he is great at switching targets with windstorm addons which do suit his playstyle, but it doesn't help him get the hits. On the other hand, the clappers just work so fricking well all the time if you know what you are doing with them. They will more likely than not let you get a hit on survivors you successfully sneak up to. What is the point of having good speed if you can't get hits that easily when actually chasing survivors? The clappers are just so amazing and helpful and I believe that they are superior to even windstorm.

The bone clapper should also be on purple rarity.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

I think Wraith needs further buffs but at the same time his addons need to be looked at. If Wraith gets a buff but maintains some of his add-ons he then becomes too strong IMO.

• ClownIsUnderrated
    ClownIsUnderrated Member Posts: 1,031

I still don't understand after four years how Wraith still moves at the speed of Silver the Hedgehog while cloaked

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651

I'd actually agree on the bone clapper. The universal cue combined with a brown addon he has : the one that keeps his TR suppressed for a while, ends up being very nice anti-loop, like a pseudo-Ghostface shroud without the debilitating cooldown.

Though yes, you give up windstorm addons for it. And yes, he needs windstorm addons to be even worth playing.....

Why haven't they modernized this killer yet?

• NomiNomad
    edited February 2021

Here's where we're gonna have to agree to disagree with each other's disagreements.

Anytime I'm playing with Coxcombed or Bone Clapper, my thoughts are always "This is nice, but I wish I had Windstorm." Wraith doesn't need help getting hit's- He's fantastic at that anyways. In any situation where Bone or Coxcombed are useful, so would just hiding behind a wall and uncloaking normally. The only time the Clapper's are useful are for those gen's which are in open space that also happens to be near pallets, or when someone is healing near a pallet- But again, if the pallet is mindgame-able you don't need the clappers. Wraith's speed after coming out of Cloak is good enough to win most mind-games if you know what you're doing.

Coxcombed Clapper makes him a worse version of Ghostface, which moves slightly faster and has to wait a few seconds before he its someone. He needs help getting across the map so he can spread pressure. Purple Windstorm alone adds 20% to his movement speed. The All-Seeing add-ons give Wraith immense information, and even Shadow-Dance can break pallets in less than a second.

Wraith doesn't need help getting hits. He gets an early hit incredibly easy. The Clappers make it easier, sure, but they do nothing to offer Wraith what he really needs, which is pressure. The Clappers just make an already easy part of his kit easier- I feel like I can't play without Windstorm.

Edit: I can agree that Bone Clapper is stronger than Yellow though.

• NomiNomad

I don't know. I was honestly surprised he got looked at this Patch at all, it really felt like they forgot about him for a long while.

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

He’s not bad. It’s an eternal struggle. Without windstorm, you mIght as well play ghostface. With windstorm, there is little reason to play ghostface.

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531

Green windstorm basekit, purple becomes a green/yellow addon and they make the missing addon slots into interesting new ones, maybe bring back the white and mud all seeing and keep the purple windstorm purple

• Yords

Because of

Half-done

Very underwhelming

Regretful changes

• Yords

I disagree with your agreement to agree to disagree with each other's disagreements.

Wraith doesn't get hits that easily and his windstorm addons are definitely good, but not his best addons. He doesn't get hits easily without a clapper because survivors have a huge warning for when he uncloaks. In smaller maps such as coal tower or lery's, windstorm addons aren't as necessary and the clappers are just really strong and will definitely get more use than windstorm addons. Against good survivors, the clappers will be very powerful and make more of an impact than windstorm addons. Windstorm only really shines on bigger maps such as Ormond or Coldwind farm. When it comes down to it, I would choose the clappers over windstorm because they really change how the game plays out.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

its a really nice touch, but i agree that it is far from enough from fixing his problems.

what he needs imo is to have his speed boost during invisibility buffed so its like the current speed he has with a green Windstorm.

it would tremendously help him apply map pressure, which in return allows him to boost his "hit and run" kind of playstyle.

additionally it would free one of his Add On slots so he can focus on other add ons, such as Swift Hunt or All Seeing.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

Just give him free Windstorm (rare). That's all he needs.

• Yords

If you had read the post then you probably would think otherwise. He needs more than just windstorm base kit.

• DwightFairfield
    DwightFairfield Member Posts: 1,246

wraith op he can turn invisible why can't dwight do that

• Yords
    edited February 2021

Because dwight can get in lockers, why can't wraith do that

• DwightFairfield
    DwightFairfield Member Posts: 1,246

because the wraith doesn't go into them he just opens them and slams the door or pulls me out of it like an #########

• Yords
  • Mistercookie
    Mistercookie Member Posts: 147

While I absolutely love playing Wraith and windstorm is very nice, it is also very powerful, especially the purple one (obviously) which is the one people here are asking for.

You can shut down windows and bodyblock pallets with it and that can just stop survivors from having counterplay in a couple areas on every map. I think he should have the yellow windstorm basekit but any more than that and it's very oppressive.

Don't forget if you somehow get a windstorm basekit, the windstorm addons are probably gonna get nerfed or removed entirely.

That's just my two cents! :)

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

im not sure about purple windstorm for basekit but definitely green windstorm, remember they also slow his speed when uncloaking if he didn't have that with green windstorm as basekit i think it would be fair and make him a lot more viable.

I feel that with green or purple windstorm wraith is actually playable in high ranks, all he needs is a little push with windstorm as basekit for him to be a viable killer without addons.

• DetailedDetriment

Giving Wraith very rare Windstorm would be the exact same as giving Trapper Honing Stone. Bad idea.

Other than that it seems you want his addons to function while uncloaked. That would defeat the purpose of running several perks on him. And, honestly, he should just lose the blindness addon. It's the second-worst status effect in the game and doesn't really do anything against skilled players or SWFs.

• Yords

Those are two very different addons. Purple windstorm is only 5% faster than green windstorm and purple on its own already isn't enough to bring wraith to something like b tier.

• Yords

The difference between the two is only a 5% movement speed increase. I think that the purple windstorm would fit just nicely on Wraith despite what many say about it. It certainly makes him viable at high ranks, but not a great killer.

• DetailedDetriment

5% is still an entire tier of bloodlust. Free very rare Windstorm by itself wouldn't be an issue but combine it with both the rare and very rare add-ons and maybe even PWYF, then it'll be impossible for survivors to escape a player committing to a chase.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Just a friendly reminder that wanting any Windstorm at base would also slow down his post-uncloak movement speed at base.

And idk about y'all, but that's one of the last things i want at base for him.

Generally, yes, he needs more, not denying that at all.

What he has been granted this update isn't small though.

Some Add-ons really need updates.

• The Swift Hunts are all incredibly weak, Blood + White doesn't even make it to 25% faster uncloaking, resulting in 0.6 seconds less uncloak time. I'd figure the 2 best ones would get it to at least 1 second less.
    • Blind Warrior Mud isn't really bad, it's Blindness that's bad. Specific builds can profit from it, but it's generally a BP sink.
    • The Shadow Dances are really fun for the meme build, but their use really ends there, or at least they easily have a shadow cast on them by other Add-ons.
    • The Hound is just The Hound, i wonder how few use this one a moderate amount or more, make it be a blood trail or smthn, or have him be able to see the Aura of blood within [X] meters.
    • Blinks are just not needed, the cloak speed is already fast enough, and at any time you have it on to support cloak Add-ons, you could've put on something that has its own use and it would be better than either Blink, would love to see these 2 Add-ons get new effects. (Though i'd actually rather have current Blinks than crap like "Z" Block xD).
    • Both bells are great, both All Seeings are great (though i really enjoy Blood more than Spirit), Blind Warrior White's just fine, all Windstorms are great of course, The Ghost's kinda weak on its own but either bell makes it delicious so i can forgive it since it's a Common, The Beast is ugh but it seems the devs are intent on having these in Add-on arsenals so whatever.
    • Not gonna talk about the new The Serpent btw, haven't used it myself yet.

Other than that, all i'd want is for him to just quiet down some more.

I dislike how he goes stompy-stomp and snarly-snarl everywhere while cloaked, but then you have guys like Ghost Face & Shape who just do a way better job of maintaining their stealth.

Ya' wanna make him very much hit-from-stealth and not chase-and-loop, devs? More than fine by me, but then shut him up just a bit, mkay?

• Yords

True, this is just one of a bunch of other killers that need to be looked at. However, the problem again is with BHVR, we know that they aren't exactly keen on fixing the only successful game they have.

• NomiNomad

I disagree x4 I agree x3

At this point, it's just us having different experiences. I've always had a somewhat easy time getting early hits (Yes, even against red ranks), with or without either of the clappers, and always have had a huge amount of help from Windstorm and All-Seeing. I'm not saying the Clapper's are Bad, I've just been conditioned to them being third best for the Wraith builds I run.

• jadedcaffeinated
    jadedcaffeinated Member Posts: 38

personally, i think wraith needs green windstorm to be basekit, and then change the windstorm addons to do something to that "out of cloak" sprint that he gets. this opens up a lot more possibilities for builds with him since you have both perk slots open instead of one always being the necessary "windstorm slot"

• Yords
  • DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Have they said this? It's news to me but sounds really good if true.

• Yords

Yes, they mentioned it in one of the recent patch notes

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited February 2021

Take the addons that make him kick things and vault much faster for example, what is the point of that if you can only do it when you are cloaked?

Hey, Shadow Dance addons are amazing. Only thing I'd change about them is to allow the effect to persist for a couple seconds after uncloaking, then they'd be perfect.

With all the rest, I agree. Without exposing perks like MYC Wraith struggles a bit (at least with my playstyle). He's great at getting the first hit, but the second can be a pain. The post-cloak boost can be used sure, but it's not that common to find a suitable loop for that (the recent buff helped with that, though). And that's ok, not every killer should be chase-oriented, but without Windstorm he definetly lacks the map pressure he needs. Just to clarify though, I think his yellow one should be base-kit, not more. The rarer ones can be very useful in chases.

Oh, btw, why nobody ever talks about his Blink addons? They are the most useless addons since they shorten an already quick animation that doesn't even slow you down. They should definetly be completely reworked imo.

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237

I dont get why they nerfed his cloaked stun. It used to be amazing with Spirit Fury & Enduring