I Can’t Win as Killer

2»

Comments

• Wingmonster
    Wingmonster Member Posts: 27

Pop goes the weasel is personally my favorite and probably the best gen slowing perk there is. There's also corrupt which is amazing for getting a hook in before a gen pops. Also, if you can, find the closest 3 generators that are closest to each other and protect those.

• ttvbardberd
    ttvbardberd Member Posts: 144
    edited February 2021

You just need to patrol gens better and learn what survivors are doing to avoid you/counter you. Watch how each player plays, watch and learn and use it against them.

If you genuinely can't win as killer, you can keep practicing, but if you keep losing and feel the need to go on to the forums to write a post about it when other people clearly can win, it's entirely a you problem, no offence.

If you're really struggling as killer, I don't think that's the side you should be playing.

• ttvbardberd
    edited February 2021

I've read a bit more and seen you main Trapper, as do I. Trapper isn't #########, as I've heard some people in this thread say, they clearly don't know how to play him properly.

The way to play trapper is:

Brown ranks - in/on pallets, vaults

Yellow/Green ranks - same as the last, but also try to three gen

Purple ranks - basically the same, but hiding your traps in places where people will try to run you, three-genning also helps incredibly

Red ranks all the same as before, the only real thing that helps you at red ranks other than pure skill and knowledge is getting perks like Ruin and Corrupt, great perks that specifically for trap killers are perfect, as you spend a lot of time (especially at red ranks) having traps disarmed and having to re-arm them. Also hiding your traps in just the most insane random places usually pays off quite well when playing against red ranks too.

Perks will help, but you don't need them to win, you just have to outsmart your opponent.

If you're going to buy anyone, get Hag and Plague. Hag is another trap killer and has a very high win rate at red ranks. She has great add-ons and her perks are great, having Ruin and DH which is incredible.

Different players will use different tactics to beat you. OoO is one of Trappers and Hags worst enemies. It'll take a lot of time and a lot of games but you will be able to eventually beat a lot of the games you play.

If I can get 50 wins with trapper, I think anyone can lol

• M1Trapper
    M1Trapper Member Posts: 27

I play Trapper, Billy or Oni and use only M1 and the games are pretty much winnable but you gotta know how to mind game otherwise you’ll end up having a bad time like you. Do not break every pallet that they drop because some are unsafe for survivors and some are easy for you as killer to mind game.

I understand what you’re saying as a new player because if you take legions perk Discordance you’ll see that when you spawn at the beginning you’ll be opposite side of the map and there will mostly be 2 - 2 survivors on gens and by the time you reach, both gens will be around 60-70% and there’s no way you can protect both and you’ll start match as 1 killer, 5 survivors and 3 gens. Very rare that you’ll spawn somewhat in the middle of the map without having 2 - 2 on gens right away

• ttvbardberd

It's actually no really survivor sided at all.

Red rank killers have (or had the last time I checked) a 65% win rate. Just because there are more survivors than there are killers, both figurtively and technically, doesn't mean that they are overpowered.

Unless you can find actual verified statistics that say that the game is survivor sided, please don't rant about how it is.

Here is a link to Peanits twitter, where he posted the pick and win rates for every killer in the game back in October of last year (Needs updating, obviously, but this is evidence of the win rate for killers) Every killer but 1 (Nurse) had a rating of 50% or higher, making most killers balanced, but a lot of which aren't balanced at all.

https://twitter.com/Peanits_BHVR/status/1319371378248790017/photo/1

• getuy45u4iu
    getuy45u4iu Member Posts: 93

If gens are done too quickly, then I think a good idea is to focus on killing one or two survivors. Two kills is technically a draw.

Realizing early that 4k is unlikely in some games and altering your strategy accordingly might be hepful. NOED is also very useful in this scenario.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

You talking to me about the rant? I just said a brief sentence about it and moved on. I dont feel nearly as strong as most people.

I consider the game overall and not just red ranks. I would like to know more specifics of those stats (which admittedly is nearly impossible to calculate). I started to write out all the different factors but it got too cumbersome. Basically I want to know the averages not based on number of games played but the average on win rates across players. The same for killers sk it doesnt weigh down data based upon players who play the more (which are often the best players)

• DivineZak
    DivineZak Member Posts: 14

It's a survivor sided game man, us survivors will always have the leg up.

• romones848484
    romones848484 Member Posts: 18

If you're going to main Trapper,I suggest patrolling 3 close gens and trapping that area,that's what I do when I use him,I main pig and get 4k all the time so ignore the whiners,yes you will get gen rushed by swf teams that's just the facts but saying you can't win at all,suggests you need to get better.

• I am also a semi new player and as a killer main I say that the guide videos that are out there are very helpful, also maybe watch some survivor guide videos to try to see what the survivors are thinking while you are hunting them down, for example one thing I learned from a survivor guide that I use as killer is to hug walls when in a loop chase with a survivor, and if survivors start 360ing you, don't try to attack, take an ingame step back to see where they are going and then attack when you understand what's happening. Also just keep patrolling gens, you don't need to walk all the way up to them until you can see them if you listen to hear if they are being worked on or have been started, if not just go to the next gen. At the start of a match I suggest you don't go to the gens that are right near you because the survivors are usually far from you and they usually work on the gens near their spawn.

• dontpanic503
    dontpanic503 Member Posts: 58

Lots of good suggestions so far. My main suggestion, particularly with trapper, is to find your 3 Gen right when the match starts, and trap that area like crazy. Don't worry if 2-3 further gens pop quickly, you're going to lose them anyway. But set up 3 gens (with a 4th close by as backup) that you protect at all costs, and focus on those. Set your traps on the escape routes away from the gens, so you can chase the survivors into them, and always keep one in hand to break loops or trap a hook if you get someone down.

Once you get into the Yellow/Green ranks, the game for killer gets much harder, and getting matched to Purple/Red ranks becomes pretty normal. I highly recommend trying a variety of killers and playing with their perks until you find builds that fit your style. Hope that helps, playing killer can be frustrating for sure. Take breaks and try to just have fun with it.

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

what do you consider a win? a 4k? 2 kills? a decent amount of bloodpoints? a pip? anyways, here are some tips:

dont rely on noed- its very unhealthy and overall just makes you a worse killer

you can get a pip by not even trying- okay hear me out, im not saying dont try at all, but ive had games where i literally go friendly mid game and farm points with the survivors. only do this if you are struggling with ranking up

play survivor and think like one- try to predict their movement when you are mindgaming a loop, it will be easier if you try out survivor

• Mugombo
    Mugombo Member Posts: 509

Lmao this forum is full of terrible killers giving terrible advice, if you keep this mindset of thinking that this game is survivor sided then you’ve already just accepted defeat and no wonder you’re struggling and not improving.

How are you gonna get better at the game if you just blame the losses on the game rather than looking at your mistakes and how to improve your gameplay?

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,109

Now you can 360 killers to your heart's content again.

• JordanMalicious
    JordanMalicious Member Posts: 383

You might also be having the unfortunate luck of getting survivors who intentionally depipped just so they could steamroll lower rank killers (not a shot at you). When I came back to the game, I had reverted to rank 20 killer, my first 3 or 4 games were easy as ever, but I started running into purple and red rank teams while I was in brown/yellow ranks which I thought was super messed up.

Some others have suggested you watch some YouTube tutorials (OhTofu, Otzdarva, etc) to learn trapper better, I'd say take that advice. Also, don't listen to people saying trapper is a bad killer. I played trapper in green and purple ranks and regularly got 3k and 4k games.

Best of luck!

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

First things first. It’s absolutely normal and expected that at least 1 or 2 gens pop very early in the match. The game is intentionally designed in this way, because the survivors are experiencing the least amount of pressure at this point.

If survivors experienced intense pressure right from the get go. I.E. getting any gens done at the beginning was way too difficult, then no one would play survivor.

So take a deep breath. When 1,2,3 gens pop early, you’re not doing anything wrong as killer. Expecting anything different is just going to always lead to frustration.

Now... when you do start to find survivors, here are the things you always need to be keeping in mind from that point forward: “how do I keep chases as short as possible?”, “how are survivors going to run these loops for their fast vaults, pallet stuns, and putting distance between us? How do I force them to run in a way that is advantageous to me?”, and “how do I keep survivors out of a chase off of gens as often as possible?”

It takes a lot of time to master the above concepts. It’s starts with being more focused on learning how to use one killer exclusively for a while to really think about how to better use the power in a more deliberate and intelligent way. Perhaps think about the aspects of survivor gameplay you struggle against the most and puck a best able to deal with that. It’s why I stick with Clown. I HATE long chases or endless looping. It also pays to experiment with perks you wouldn’t normally use, and think deliberately on how to get the most out of them. It genuinely teaches better skills testing/experimenting with a range of different perks.

Also, it’s important to expect that never at any point does any body get so good at killer that they’ll never lose again. Survivors are going to win sometimes. That’s fair.

Hope I’ve been helpful.

• I've had the game about 2 1/2 years and outside of my rookie days I've never found it as hard as I have right now. It's swings and roundabouts, sometimes you win every game as killer and can't escape as survivor, and then at times you escape every game as survivor and can't win as killer.

This is one of those periods where I find it impossible to lose as survivor even with lemons on my team but killer, no matter how short the chases are it's still almost unwinnable. I know others are struggling right now, there are theories being floated about MMR being tested, which would make sense because the survivors I'm against aren't all 10,000 pro loopers or anything......they just do gens. Every game all 4 survivors tend to spread out and jump on gens immediately and a lot of killers don't have much in there kit that can help with early game, corrupt intervention is now a mandatory perk for me but it's more of a bandaid than anything.

I remember the days even after the ruin nerf when you could kinda hold out early game but it seems no matter what you do now you're losing a few gens very early on.

We still don't know how MMR is being calculated for survivor. If escape is prioritzed then the people that focus the most on gens will rise to the top. The game isn't balanced around 4 survivors all doing gens lmao there's normally at least 1 of them that likes to go sight-seeing or raid chests.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

You mean it can be unbalanced for killer? The truth of the matter is killer perks can actually win the game. A hard to find Ruin totem on a killer keeping good pressure means a win in the pocket. Survivor perks keep getting nerfed to make it easier for killers. Perhaps you faced a few sweaty SWFS that was too good but killers do have it easier than they've ever had it. Maps getting nerfed with deadzones. Killers can down with little effort on some maps.

It's literally the best time to be a killer main.

• Sluzzy I find your opinions on the game interesting. Do you have a tier list? and which killers do you find balanced? and which are overpowered and underpowered?

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

None of them are underpowered. :)

Freddy: Teleporting is too easy to the survivor objective.

Huntress: Hitboxes makes counterplay almost impossible and with 5 hatchets and few pallets, the cooldown between throws seems non-existent.

Spirit: When is she phasing? Only the Spirit knows.

Bubba: He can now hold his saw and go across a deadzone mowing everyone down.

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

If you are managing to keep up pressure on 4 players then surely you deserve to win, regardless of if your Ruin is up or not.

For every game where your Ruin totem is well hidden, you get 2 games where it spawns on a hill 20m from survivors and is gone within half a minute..

• How long have you been playing the game Sluzzy and what ranks do you usually hover around?

• TinoraMayra
    TinoraMayra Member Posts: 3

Play survivor. Yes, I'm serious. Playing survivor can help you improve killer. If you can predict what the survivors are going to do based on your own survivor gameplay that's a great start. Also, ignore what character you're using and learn the basics of killer. The majority of these whiney (and most likely PC) community needs to figure this out all ready. If you can't master the basics why even play. It's fine to lose, I promise. You just need to build up on what you enjoy and what you can do.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

Also hopping in, but playing red rank killer is not fun at all. I understand why players want to derank.

This game desperately needs a ranked mode and a casual mode. I just hate playing enough to be in red ranks only to get housed. And I don't think I'm particularly playing terribly. Some games yes. And all games mistakes are made, but jesus what a miserably unfun experience.

It's not unwinnable, but most games are just boring. Way too many pallets. Way too many people running Dead Hard. Gens pop super fast. It sucks. I just want fun games. Don't need to win every game.

• Dingo88
    Dingo88 Member Posts: 219

I know ur pain. This is what happens to game when devs only listen to survivour mains I think all killers should go on strike till they ballance it out properly maybey then they myt listen to both sides

• TattooJake
    TattooJake Member Posts: 158

This is by far the best comment. You are 1000% right.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967

Hey can u keep playing killer? I know ur frustrated but I am survivor main. And we need more killers. Otherwise u can play survivor w me. I'll come for the save or die w u.

• Sadsnacks
    Sadsnacks Member Posts: 677

Try a meme build and have some fun.

Trapper is tons of fun to meme with!

My favorite is to gather all his traps and place them all in one area, the killer shack is great for this, and then by the time youre done almost all the gens should be done. Then lure the survivors into the traps. Before you know it youll be stepping in traps, theyll be stepping in traps and an endless cycle of shenanigans ensues.

They dont always play into it but when they do its absolutely hilarious 😂

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

Gg is always a term tainted by one's own interpretation.

"G"Ood "G"ame

"G"et "g"ood

But to be fair the latter one just became popular in the last few years.