Clown is still trash tier, even after the "rework"

Options
ProfessorDunwich
ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514
edited February 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

I guess I was expecting too much from BHVR. That he would be turned into a viable Killer. Nope. Let's give him a bottle that makes him a little faster, but can also benefit survivors.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 866
    Options

Still trying to figure out a good use of the yellow bottle. The hits I usually get from it are hits I would gotten faster with the purple bottle, because I don't end up waiting the 2,5 seconds for the effects of the bottle to kick in.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,009
    Options

I still think the rework made Clown more interesting power-wise and a lot more fun to play against. I think it's good for him to have counterplay as well tbh. Plus without the ability to make the yellow fluids affect survivors it wouldn't be possible to bait 'em out.

I think BHVR did a great job on the Clown rework and really made him more of a balanced strategic killer, which is what they were going for.

• edgardot02
    edgardot02 Member Posts: 149
    Options

I only use yellow bottles when discordance is activated I dont see the point of two bottles that does pretty much the same thing, (reach sooner to the survivor)

I most likely to use yellow bottle if the survivor is far from me but if its close to me pink bottle is more relaiable. major benefit of clown rework is bottle trow cooldown I guess.

• musstang62
    musstang62 Member Posts: 516
    Options

Agreed. I was maining Clown for awhile but I'm really disappointed that they didn't buff him more. Can't believe they didn't even increase the antidote duration after PTB. Seems like he's not gunna get looked at for another 2 years now. I think BHVR for some reason had the impression that if they gave him anything more, he'd be a super nurse level killer or something

Reload buff was the best part of his rework. Yellow + purple bottles combo-ed can be useful in some situations but smart survivors can still counterplay it. Insta-dropping pallets still works. I don't know if he's still the worst killer but it definitely feels like he's still down towards the bottom with trapper and wraith. You can get superior results with less effort from the other 90% of the killer roster

• LastShoe
    LastShoe Member Posts: 1,183
    Options

It depends on complexicity, pre rework freddy wasn't THAT bad, still wasn't the greatest, bu he needed videos explaining how to use him.

When it comes to "new" clown... well... if not the wraith buff i could say he menaged to get to the same power lvl (when not counting bone clappers and pinky finger).

But well... i would say that clown lost in long term viability because he lost some of the best-always use, addons, so now he needs more grinding...

So yeah... it's kinda pathethic how bhvr was like: we need to give him map pressure, here are the yellow bottles.

Players: But the most effective use of them is on the loops...

Bhvr (in the future): Well, feck you then, here, grab iri heads nerf, now they put them in deep wound status effect.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

At a long loop, throw the yellow bottle first on one side, then throw the purple on the other side and run in the direction of the yellow bottle first and make the survivor through the purple. It's that simple.

• ALostPuppy
    Options

I don't know a single person who enjoys playing against Clown but...sure? That's also not true, Huntress, Billy, Blight and Nurse are generally liked and nobody who has more than 2 brain cells would call any of them weak.

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793
    Options

Clown wasn't absolute bottom of the barrel before the rework and he still isn't, its just now that he got a new fancy bottle the popular opinion is shifting from oH mY gOd cLoWn iS sO bAd to a more accurate ranking.

The rework really didnt change much people are just realizing how bad Trapper really is.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    Options

His new bottle isn't what he needed. I don't think he is as bad as people say he is. He needed something but the bottle isn't what he needed

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261
    Options

More fun and less frustrating to play as, for sure.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    Options

What a surprise!

• Lazerboy88
    Lazerboy88 Member Posts: 517
    Options

Nah he is a solid mid tier, I’d put him below deathslinger, he has a strong chase power and a bit of a skill cap, he a decent killer.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options
  • Cum_King
    Cum_King Member Posts: 21
    Options

I had a brief moment of hope that the devs would buff weak killers even after reworks. They buffed doctor after his rework despite every survivor bitching and moaning about him.

But, I guess some team lead is just a doctor main 🤷‍♂️

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089
    Options

But then why would I play clown when deathslinger go bang bang and get an injure or down just for landing a shot

Not to mention death slinger is like top7 so your saying clown is like the 8th best killer

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    Options

If you find your Antidote ever being used effectively by survivors you need to look at your play and get better with them.

Bad placement/poor play does not mean they are bad/useless. They aren't great, but they are functional in many situations, especially since they compound well with the Tonic.

Antidotes' + mspd% is definitely lazy though.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

By that logic,wh would you play anything other than nurse or spirit?

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,396
    Options

From my experience i would say clown is C-tier like myers, demo and legion.

He has the same problem like deathslinger. (Only strong in chase) But he is weaker then deathslinger at most loops.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089
    Options

I dont really I often play ph nurse spirit blight deathslinger and oni because the others it often feels like my input has minimal effects

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

If you play clown properly, there’s pretty much no such thing as a god pallet. Throw piss bottle on your pathing and throw the slow debuff on theirs and you’ll catch them 9/10.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    Options

I actually get a lot of use of the antidote bottle however it is map dependent, if you get an indoor map don't even bother using antidote. the only exceptions to this are the top floor of the game and the halls in midwhich.

also the gas disappears so quickly survivors can't use it if they use a vault tile and try to go back to it or even if they circle around a wall, i think out of all my time playing clown only 1 time has it taken a hit from me and that was because i messed up the throw to begin with.

• ClownIsUnderrated
    ClownIsUnderrated Member Posts: 1,031
    Options

Just gonna leave this video here for anyone who's still struggling to learn the antidote. https://youtu.be/ztqeD_N0H5E

• ALostPuppy
    Options

The thread is about clown, so it was safe to assume you were talking about him when you said survivors enjoy facing killers (Clown in this case) because he's bad. Tbh there is a small ounce of truth to the statement though, because winning is fun, and you have a bigger chance at winning against weak killers so I get where you're coming from. But a lot of strong killers are ones that survivors also find to be fun to play against.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187
    Options

Unpopular opinion but I actually do enjoy going against him

• Lazerboy88
    Options

Deathslinger - Strong chase power, no mobility

Clown - Strong chase power, no mobility (better Mobility then Slinger)

Deathslinger does have a stronger power but requires more skill

Clown has stronger power but requires less skill

I would place Deathslinger above clown and Clown right below him.

Honestly just because there is a better option doesn’t mean the other options are bad.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
    Options
  • IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    Options

My Biggest issue is that it can effect survivors. I wish it only effected clown tbh

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,800
    Options

Every game I play with him is a hard one. It doesn't matter if it's solo or SWF. Might as well through NOED on when playing as him.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    edited February 2021
    Options

Fun is subjective. Whats fun for me, will probably not be fun for you. With that out of the way. I´ve seen many survivors complain about boring matches. For example, playing against a good nurse is considered boring (not fun). Because they couldn´t loop her. Now, when survivors consider the clown (or any killer) fine, its worrying. Because strong killers will always have a ton of nerf threads. When a killer is considered fine, than survivors are not thinking "oh #########, its that killer, this will be hard". But instead think "great, this will be easy".

Survivors should fear the killer. Not the other way around.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,415
    Options

I played vs only 2 clowns, both were 3 man escapes on Hawkins and Lery. my only complaint with current clown is the 2.5 second delay on yellow gas, I think he has some potential to make some safe loops into unsafe with interesting mindgames but he is not there yet. Maybe wait 1-2 years for some updates. for now he can take backseat bench until they decide to make him playable.

• lady_potato
    lady_potato Member Posts: 35
    Options

well, after they ruined their 4-year used normal and accepted HUD and changed it for no reason, just to loose popularity dunno, they did "the great rework", making 5secs reload time to 3 secs reload time and adding a stupid gas. That thing makes me wonder if it worth the money and time i spent with this game which is against the community and the players in general...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited February 2021
    Options

He's gotten better but yeah, he's still pretty terrible tier wise.

I would say he's moved up like....one spot.

Going by for example otz tier list which is what I consider about right:

I would put clown up into C tier now, but near the bottom of it.

• lady_potato
    Options

woah clown is 20th in my list, worse are twins and blight bcz they're quite hard to master(those last 2) and the clown is boring

• Stonuk
    Stonuk Member Posts: 91
    Options

All they did is overcomplicating him. He was straight forward killer that he isn't now.

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054
    Options

What do you mean? Clown has an extremely high skill cap. That's why you barely see any good clowns. It's an incredibly rare sight to see a decent clown let alone a top tier one. I've gone against like 100+ clowns and only one of them was good. Deathslinger isn't that hard to use. Even for people with not much fps skill.

• MudSpit83
    MudSpit83 Member Posts: 112
    Options

“I dont know how to use this killer properly, therefore, he’s trash tier.”

Professor Dunwich

2020-2021

• lady_potato
    Options

dude im pig main and i tell u it's not that bad. Also the trapper and wraith have interesting and strong add-ons

• Lazerboy88
    Options

Clown really doesn’t have that high of a skill cap, just requires some creativity with his bottles.

• OniKobayashi
    OniKobayashi Member Posts: 274
    Options

He's not "trash", but he's not very high tier. Pretty much where he was except a little less with the Exhaustion add-on gone. I've pipped with Clown all but one game so far since his update came out.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited February 2021
    Options

He's a Trapper main, and honestly I think his summary is pretty spot on to what I agree with. Also there are exceptions for addons but you need to watch the whole video for that. These are also tiers based on a good player vs a good and coordinated team, not just kill rates like bhvr does or anything.

Your welcome to have your own tier list and impressions, I'm still going to think you're wrong and vice versa, but I mean, it's all subjective anyways.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

Lol, ok...

I’ll just keep “accidentally” 4k’ing with my trash killer.

The Antidote is fantastic. Used properly the survivors should never ever get opportunities to use it themselves.

It seriously makes chases so damn easy when I Invigorate myself followed quickly with Intoxicating a survivor.

• TheClownIsKing
    Options
  • TheClownIsKing
    Options

No. That’s not true. I still see Docs that constantly waste Static Blast in areas that have no survivors, and just spamming Shock willy nilly, often missing.

So there are still tonnes of players that just don’t get Doc. They get creamed because they don’t know how to use Madness as a time wasting tool, or how to properly use Shock as an anti loop.

The truth is that Clown has always been a little obscure. The correct way to use Tonics is the least intuitive way to most that pick him up. The Antidote isn’t any different. It’s either going to take awhile for some to wrap their head around it’s optimal, devastating use, or they just won’t get it.