A response to those against adding LGBTQIA+

Comments

• immortalls96
    immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,652

Oh no it's blatantly the survivor they're hyping..I just want a character done right..not one who's only character trait is who they wanna sleep with..its shallow

• cannonballB
    cannonballB Member Posts: 387

Uhhh - the survivor they used a literal K-POP picture of to represent. If anything, this is going to be a K-Pop chapter.

• FregglesFred
    FregglesFred Member Posts: 317

I don't really care if the character I play with has sex with a dude or girl. For some reason, they classify it as a trait that's more important than anything else.

It's funny, because once they were so keen on keeping the sexualities out of the game. But then pride month comes around, and now they care. It's just company stuff. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

We're all adults here, so let's talk like adults. You don't assume a character is anything but straight unless explicitly stated otherwise. In fact, nobody does, because the vast majority of characters in fiction are straight (and disproportionately so).

There were no complaints about the Legion's tome, which could just as easily be called "The romance of Frank and Julie and also some other Legion members are here", and that tome was just constantly shoving their heterosexuality down our throats. The only difference is that, now, we might be getting an explicitly LGBT character.

There is no argument that can be used against this that doesn't also apply to non-LGBT characters or is rendered moot by the fact that the devs have already done it for non-LGBT characters. Seriously, try to come up with one.

• Orion

I don't really care if the character I play with has sex with a dude or girl. For some reason, they classify it as a trait that's more important than anything else.

Who's "they"? The devs were very low-key about it, it's been the community hyping itself up.

It's funny, because once they were so keen on keeping the sexualities out of the game. But then pride month comes around, and now they care. It's just company stuff. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

Nope. They were just reminded that they had already added heterosexual relationships. Pride month was just an appropriate time for them to say "Y'know, we realize we dun goofed", the same way you wouldn't wear a Halloween mask and go trick-or-treating during Valentine's Day.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187

"the same way you wouldn't wear a Halloween mask and go trick-or-treating during Valentine's Day."

Unless it's my bloody valentine, then yes

• FregglesFred
    FregglesFred Member Posts: 317

It's a business thing. Same with the BLM support things. Because it's popular. Showing support for things is a company route to get more people interested.

• Orion

So, in your mind, there's no other reason why some people might want to support BLM or LGBT or any other minority group except to profit from them?

• Gay Myers (Luzi)
    Gay Myers (Luzi) Member Posts: 4,427

To clear up some confusion: I've merged some threads, as in essence they were the same, but they're all still here!

• MomoOValley
    MomoOValley Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2021

is someone else shocked that in 2021 so many people are getting upset and making such a big deal of a "possible" Lgbt character? cuz when i read some on the stuff here i feel like we made no progress in the last ten years..... Gay people exist, get over it.

• theman43
    theman43 Member Posts: 40

Some people just want to yell at something pointless because they're bored. Or they're actually against people wanting to with a different gender or act a certain way other than the norm.

• MomoOValley

i didn´t said that both sides are a little bit stressing right now. but i saw a lot of "it doesn´t belongs in this game" or "what´s the point" as soon someone brings up something regarding Lgbt representation.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187

Saying that just invalidates the purpose of representation....

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

This is so sad.

Can we get a thousand likes for the new character?

• jester20k
    jester20k Member Posts: 827

Yeah I haven't seen one actual negative word about the prospect but everyone's got their pitchforks out lol

• MomoOValley

i didn´t said something about homophobic, i meant more that getting some lgbt representation seems to be such a big deal, even though it should be just as normal as anything else by now. atleast i thought so.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,165

There have been comments that were homophobic in posts, the mods have deleted the comments and following up with their own comments that say homophobic comments will not be tolerated. So the bad comments have been removed making the other side look like they're saying "how dare you" to nothing.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

„I don't want that type of stuff in the game either. Your right it clearly doesn't fit. I mean people want us to be more accepting to those people and we should, but it shouldn't be in a video game if it simply doesn't have to be. Its like spending money on something random just because you wanna spend money. There is no good reason for this“

that is directly copied and pasted from one of the other threads. I didn’t link you to it because I don’t want to rile people up against it. But as far as I see it, this person has definitely something against LGBT inclusion in DbD/video games

• jester20k
    jester20k Member Posts: 827

Thanks For finding that. Also makes sense if the mods are deleting trash posts why I don't see them lol.

• MomoOValley

you got a good point there, seeing the large amount of supportive comments is actually heartwarming.

and like i said, i didn´t wanted to point out that there are homophobic people. my intension is more that having a representation of that seems to be a problem. what is sad, because having for example a gay men in a game may seem unnecessary for a lot of people, but for someone like me it would been have cool, and be way more easy to understand that it is normal and that there is nothin wrong with me when i struggeld with my sexuality. and there a plenty of jung people that could need that.

btw sorry, my english is not the best xD

• There have been a lot, actually, however moderators have been cleaning them up fairly quickly for the most part.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442

Behaviour might not be fast at fixing bugs 😁 but they have amazing writers. The lore is dept and interesting so when they add it, they will make sure that is properly done.

• Snowstruck
    Snowstruck Member Posts: 564

Tbh nobody is important and I want everyone to stay away from me

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited February 2021

I am not really debating anything else, I was just addressing that one thing. That's all.

• ClownIsUnderrated
    ClownIsUnderrated Member Posts: 1,031

If people are really being asses about an LGBT character, it might be possible that they're transphobic.

• Lycidas
    Lycidas Member Posts: 1,170

Personally, I'm more than happy to see more and more people represented in the game

It would be sad tho to see that the LGBT community is represented in DbD with a character which has nothing special about them, apart from the fact of being part of the LGBT community

Like, we have Claudette who devoted her life to studying plants and sharing her knowledge with as many people as possible on her forum

We have Jake who went against his family will to live life as he wanted, refusing to surrender to social pressure at all costs

We have Yui who basically founded a ######### support group for women's right all by herself by overcoming sexism in street racing

It would suck to have the new character join the roster just because, oh yeah, they're gay

If that will be the case it's going to be pretty underwhelming, if you ask me

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608

Yes its definitely shoving it down our throats when we exist today due to heterosexuality. Whining about heterosexuality is the equivalent of being unemployed and whining about movies about people having jobs.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889

I've rarely seen comments that i would classify as homophobic. Some people drew conclusions in different threads only because someone else said they don't want it to be forced and fear the character to be one-dimensional. Or they see it as some forced agenda by some groups. You can discuss about that if that's actually the case or not, but you can't make those accusations only because you feel like it and someone disagrees with your opinions and wishes, because those are serious accusations...

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

to be fair, while I haven’t accused someone to ne homophobic, why are these concerns only ever brought up when it comes to LGBT representation?

i never see these arguments against any other representation, well maybe when adding people of color.. but other than that, there is just no reason to assume BHVR would create the character like that.

and there are many worse comments in those threads directly saying they don’t want LGBT in the game because it would bring in politics or it would be shoved in their faces or because sexuality has no place in the game. Those arguments can be held against many already existing backstories in the game, but it’s only ever a problem with LGBT.

This discussion has been closed.