Should there be map offerings?

Options
dspaceman20
dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I feel map offerings are terrible and should not be in the game, mainly because it can put too much control In one side. Both killers and survivors have the power to choose any map they want, but that is bad because some maps can completely shift the balance of power to one side. If survivors put on a survivor sided map like Haddonfield they are almost always going to win the game. If the killer brings a map offering that matches well with the killer then that's unfair as well because they have a unfair advantage.

So if the maps can have shift the balance and give the side an unfair advantage why is it allowed at all?

Comments

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

The Game map redesign shows they aren't about to make every map favor both sides equally, so I agree. Take map offerings out, give everyone the bp back for the ones in their respective inventories, keep the maps as the one uncontrollable random in every match.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,276
    Options

The only time I ever would use one is when a map was just reworked, but even then they usually increase the appearance rates of those maps for the first couple days after an update

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,870
    Options

Not sure how I feel about this. There are gimmicky builds that only work on certain maps (spooky Myers) and removing map offerings would really discourage them.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

I don't like map offerings, but for an entirely different reason. I just pretty much only run BP offerings, so these are a waste of 5000 BPs every time I'm forced to buy one. If they were dropped to common rarity I'd be fine with them personally. I agree with TAG that they're really only annoying if used to exploit unbalanced maps, so over time this should be less and less of an issue.

• ChantyBoi
    ChantyBoi Member Posts: 179
    Options

Map offerings in my opinion are overall unhealthy for the game. Generally they are used for one of two reasons. One the person is a killer trying to do a meme build that works best on a certain map (Jumpscare Myers on Lery's/Hawkins for example) Or they are blatantly attempting to give themselves and advantage. I see this tactic used massively more by survivors than killers as killers don't have that many maps that heavily favor them whereas survivors have several.

Overall I can see 4 solutions.

1.) Remove map offerings entirely. This is a fairly drastic one but not something I'd be opposed to if nothing else could be enacted.

2.) Limit map offerings to only be usable by killers. For the reasons I stated above offerings tend to benefit killers less than survivors. This is something that could work but not necessarily something I'd entirely abide.

3.) Revert map offerings to how they used to be where it only added about a 10% additional chance of that map instead of it being guaranteed. This would keep offerings in but would add a risk of them not working making it so you couldn't just slap one down for an immediate massive advantage.

4.) This is the suggestion I think would be best. A combination of solution 2 and 3. Make it so survivors only have the non guaranteed offerings. But killers have the guaranteed ones. This would allow survivors to still toss an input without the immediate massive advantage, and allow killers to still be able to do fun stuff like jumpscare myers. Naturally this would be subject to change but in the current state of the game the ratio of maps that benefit survivors vs. the amount that benefit killers is so colossally skewed that I think this would be a very fair option.

• Shymare_11
    Shymare_11 Member Posts: 494
    Options

I’d rather have map offerings do the opposite. Where they eliminate the chance of a specific realm/map is picked. In essence, if a survivor put into Mary’s Letter, it would make it so when the map is being chosen, Midwich would never be able to be chosen and the chances of any other map, assuming no other map offering is used, is increased. I would almost always use map offerings then and there wouldn’t be situations where all four survivors bring a Strode Key and if counters the killer’s Sacrificial Ward. No one gets to choose where they, now they choose where they rather not be and leave the rest to fate.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    Options

The funny thing is that it has been trimmed down a lot and there's still garbage like the mostly useless Mist, Hook, Luck, and Survivor spawn location Offerings or the 50 and 75% single Category BP Offerings.

Of course instead of removing or buffing these, BHVR decided to add two more to the pile via the nearly pointless Basement offerings.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Exactly, I never understood why they added those let alone keep the other trash.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

I feel like they should increase the chance to hit a certain realm but not a guarantee.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,542
    Options

I think they should be a killer offering only. <as I literally am being sent to Haddonfield as I post this>

• malloymk
    Options

Exactly besides someome that is like two weeks into playing the game, who's playing a mist offering?

• Udoroth
    Udoroth Member Posts: 2
    Options

Map offering are priamrily only a problem in the hands of SWF, becuase that gives survivors too much control over the game becuase they can control the map, what items everyone is bringing and what perks survirors have.

Map offerings should be unable to be brought to a trial if the SWF team playing together consists of more that 2 people

• Mysterynovus
    Mysterynovus Member Posts: 318
    Options

I wonder how a separate mode where map offerings are not allowed would work. If the game showed what map the match will take place in for all players, that could balance it out. That way, all players can prepare for whatever environment they'll be headed to. Of course, that would have to rework the entire map selection process in the background, but yeah.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Pretty much. I thought about making a thread detailing how I would change it, but I doubt it would matter.

• thefallenloser
    thefallenloser Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

Map offerings aren't guaranteed and never have been. You can burn an offering and not be sent to the map, though it is unlikely. The odds are considerable.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

Map offerings are fine. If you want to block them, paranoid about where you might end up, there is also an offering that blocks ALL map offerings. It is easy to get and shows up on the Blood Web constantly. Knock yourself out.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

No one because as you clearly, already know... even maximum mist is pretty pointless.

• Hex_Salt
    Hex_Salt Member Posts: 443
    Options

I agree, apart from the odd meme build it's just there to be abused by the sweaty SWF

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918
    Options

Coldwind, Ormond, Coldwind, Ormond, Coldwind, coldwind, ormond, haddonfield, ormond, haddonfield, crotus penn, ormond, coldwind, crotus penn, haddonfield, ormond, coldwind

When I play kliller that's how map offerings go. As survivor it's very rare to see a killer use a map offering, lerys wraith or meat plant doc are very rare.

• Afius
    Afius Member Posts: 563
    Options

Maybe change so they're not as frequent or that they don't cost as much that way they can be forgotten like the 50% bonus bloodpoint offerings

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,195
    Options

I think there should only map "editing" offering rather than offer to bring to a specific realm. Since we have

Basement spawn

Hatch spawn

Hook distance

Coin

Fog

What if there are more offering such as

Gate distance (+10m for survivor ; -20m for killer)

Spawn a fake gate (killer only)

Spawn an additional basement (with a chest)

+1 pallet (survivor) ; -2 pallets (killer)

• malloymk
    Options

Outside of multiple different map offerings being played, I have always gone to the map that has been played. Always. 100% of the time. Zero exceptions. At this point certainly hundreds if not into the 1000s of games where a map offering has been played.

So I'm going to guess you're mistaken.

• thefallenloser
    Options

I'm not. The offering itself says considerable. I have had multiple personal experiences and made multiple observations of the realm offering not taking effect when played alone. Just because it is unlikely does not make it impossible. :|

• Laffle
    Laffle Member Posts: 82
    Options

You're mistaken. In the code, the current map offerings are guaranteed to send you to that map(unless there's multiple offerings.) I remember reading somewhere that the chance is set to 999%.

The map offerings we had in the past had partial chances (10% for commons and 50% for uncommons I think), but none of them spawn in the bloodweb anymore.

The only reason a map offering wouldn't work right now is if the map is disabled by the devs.

• thefallenloser
    Options

No, the modifier is set to "9999," though the source isn't official. It is definitely possible and happened to me within the past two weeks. No, it wasn't the bugged maps that were disabled, it was a Badham offering.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464
    Options

Only found map offerings to be tolerable when it's either for some gimmick build (Mirror Myers) or adepting. Otherwise it just seems like a ploy to spite the opposing side, perpetuating more habits that make the game insufferable sometimes.

• malloymk
    Options

One: no offense, but again I don't believe you. It's never happened one time for me, so why would I be the special one where individual map offerings work 100% of time?

Two: let's go on the assumption that I'm just unlucky and you're right. It's still noy considerable odds that the map offerings don't work. If I go to the doctor and he says "you have cancer but don't worry, you have considerable odds to beat it. Yes, less than 1 percent." Well, I think I'd strongly disagree with his definition of considerable.

Again, if 1 player plays Macmillan and one plays the meat plant, yes one of those will not go through. But if one player plays one map offering it will certainly always go through. Without exception.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,158
    edited March 2021
    Options

If only sacrifical wards were a yellow offering instead of a green one...

• thefallenloser
    Options

I'm talking about the odds to get the map are considerable... per the actual offering description...

You don't have to believe me, I don't really care what you believe, but I have no reason to lie about it. Just because you haven't personally experienced it doesn't make it untrue.

• malloymk
    Options

I don't think you're lying. I just know you're wrong. It's not a big deal though. We're all wrong sometimes.

• thefallenloser
    Options

Sure buddy, I'm definitely wrong, ever with multiple accounts saying otherwise.

Sure, yeah. You know I'm wrong with nothing to show for it. :)

• CryptFriend
    CryptFriend Member Posts: 416
    Options

I mean, I'd love to have the yellow map offerings back in the Bloodweb...

• malloymk
    Options

Nobody has agreed with you on this. You're on an island. People are literally telling you that you're incorrect as stated by the devs, but nope you definitely had it happen recently. Sure bud.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

as others have stated:

The whole bloodweb idea, not just in terms of map offerings is severely outdated.

It's bloated and frankly absurd by now, especially since we can't sell things we don't need, but are forced to waste BP on them

• JudyIscariot
    JudyIscariot Member Posts: 71
    Options

I mean the other day I had someone use a Game map offering and we ended up in Haddonfield. Only one offering used. /shrug

• JudyIscariot
    JudyIscariot Member Posts: 71
    Options

Anyway to the topic at hand: I think most of the offerings are underwhelming overall, and when people see a map offering they usually just go "ugh" if they weren't the ones to play it. Not overly a fan, but not overly bothered.

• Kaiju
    Kaiju Member Posts: 530
    Options

^^ As stated here, map offerings can fail but its such a rare occasion if they do

• SaintDorks
    SaintDorks Member Posts: 252
    Options

I want a aint offering for killers so It is like "Yeah,no we aint going there" to overide one map choice. I also think Killer offerings should be more effective..since,you know you are the killer.

• M1MASTER
    M1MASTER Member Posts: 352
    Options

Map offerings should be removed, they can make the game much more frustrating since both sides abuse them to get an advantage.

They don't directly alter the course of a game, but it's just unfair and annoying that you get to choose which map you like to play in that benefits you the most. For example stealth killers and impossible skill check Doctor using indoor map offerings

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

I think they should reduce the number of map offerings like getting rid of The Game, Lery, Hawkins and Midwich offerings and merge them into a single "indoor map offering" so it selects one of those 4, it would help making the green bloodweb pool smaller so green addons on Killer are not way rarer than they should.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

3 map offerings- one for indoors, one for outdoors, and the cancelling one

And yeah we'd get party streamers much more as well...

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

But the problem is almost all maps are outdoors so it would be useless to burn one of those (out of 35, 31 are outdoors), I think grouping the offerings in packs of 4/5/6 maps with similar gamestyle oriented maps would make more sense, like "stealth map offering" "indoor offering" "big open map offering" etc so you could aim for a certain style that fits how you wanna play, for example Hillbilly would benefit from a "big open map offering".

We have 15 realms so we have 15 map offerings, if you group on average 5 maps per offering you would have only 7, less than half of what we have now, also I would delete the cancel map offering, right now doesnt make much sense except against SWFs and I think another solution would be far better than what we have now.

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918
    Options

The problem isn't so much the map offerings as it is the maps themselves. For example if survivors generally keep burning coldwind and ormond offerings then it should be a good indicator that there's a problem with those maps.

Killers.....I rarely see killers use map offerings outside of specific builds. Maybe Hawkins now and then but that's it. Again though another awful map.

• thefallenloser
    edited March 2021
    Options

Maybe if people actually did their research instead of blindly disagreeing on anything that hasn't personally happened to them we wouldn't be here now...

Edit: A bit rude on my part, unnecessary.

Post edited by thefallenloser on
  • bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

There's too many days where I get sent to one map 5 times in a row without anyone playing an offering to go there. It's either I play an offering for somewhere else or I just shut off the game.

• chadbeastofprey
    chadbeastofprey Member Posts: 437
    Options

on the list of things that are "problematic" in this game this is at the bottom for me. it's not even guaranteed that you get the map you burn the offering more, it's just a chance.