This is why MMR/SBMM at the top 1-5% is a joke at the moment

Beefmur
Beefmur Member Posts: 261

How can this game even have SBMM at high level play? The game is obviously balanced for casuals. I have 2k hours as killer and like 300 hours as survivor. Everyone is aware that swf dominates no doubt. You cannot tell me that behavior isn't trying sbmm out. A couple of days ago the game was fine but for the past 2 days I've been getting ######### stomped 75% of the time by people who have 3-6k hours. I will record my games and watch to see what I did wrong. For the most part my mistakes are very minor.

If Behavior is going to add SBMM at high level play they need to add a competitive playlist. I'm complete aware swf will just go into casual playlist if they added this. But what if they made it so if you have say 2 thousand plus hours or in a 3+ group it automatically puts you into the playlist and get locked out of the casual playlist.

In the competitive playlist the killer has buffs that aren't in the casual one for balancing purposes. Example if you kick a generator it regresses by 10% instantly or it actually regresses instead of just wasting your time. Just small buffs is all I'm asking to at least stand a chance. I don't think killers need massive buffs we just need to be enticed to leave the hook and play the game how it was intended.

Everyone knows that at high level play (top 5%) the killer doesn't win unless you play extremely scummy. (face camp slug) Not everyone wants to play like this and I don't think you should be forced to just lose if you go to Haddonfield or the Gideon pallet packing plant Fractured cowshit or Mount Ormand against a high level swf.

PLEASE BEHAVIOR FIND A WAY TO BALANCE THE GAME FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME. I'm completely aware that you have to balance it for casuals too but there has to be a way to make both sides happy and feel that both sides have a chance to win because right now it's not unless you cheese.

ALSO STOP LOOKING AT YOUR STATS ON KILLS LOOK AT THE STATS FOR HOOKS.

Comments

• Beefmur

yeah but it could be good in the future i hope

• Beefmur

equal skill doesn't mean equal balance

• Beefmur

I also don't have a problem losing I would just like to feel like I have a chance.

• OBX
    OBX Member Posts: 854

The matchmaking right now becomes less restrictive the longer people wait in Q...... even if their new MMR works perfectly, nothing is going to change because bhvr is not going to change to a very strict matchmaking that dramatically increases Q times. Everything will be the same except the players MMR will be hidden so that they cannot take screen shots to show nothing changed and post it here.

there will have to be an influx of killers that rank up to even the ratio out. It’s 4:1 now and will be 4:1 then. Nothing is going to change.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,218

There's only so much MM can do. People act like it's the result of incompetence on BHVR's part.

If you have 10 killers queuing for games at any one moment, and all of them are red/purple ranks. Meanwhile there's 100 survivors queuing at the same moment, 20 of which are red/purple ranks... half of those killers are going to face non-red/purple survivors.

Survivor queues are long enough as it is.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited March 2021

Actually proper MMR that worked perfectly would make killers at high rank quit en mass from how terribly unbalanced the game is. The game is playable because of all the poor ranking/rank reset/MM systems that mix a bunch of bad players into the matches and cover up all the balance problems. Also people doing rift challenges instead of the game objectives for that matter.

That said, I highly doubt their system will work that well so we'll probably see something near exactly what we have now. However with one big bonus! Now we won't be able to see any of it to call them out on it and point out how bad it is. lol

I'd be much less critical of MMR if we could see all of it. Hiding it just makes it extremely shady.

Oh we'll abuse it because now we will know what to do to rank up in MMR? Isn't it supposed to measure skill? So me abusing it would be just me playing skillful? Yeah that sounds terrible...

• Beefmur

thank you for the insight! So my answer is nothing will happen :( oh well guess im just unlucky with my games

• Beefmur

thank you for actually answering my question <3

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,303

It's been over a year since they mentioned they're working on it. It's been broken for perhaps 3 years. I have zero hope they will ever get it to work well.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

They should just go by hours played for matchmaking.

• Beefmur

or they could make it so if you kick a generator youre not just sad it could do something

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

That's a good idea in theory but hours played doesn't mean someone is skilled. I've played for almost 3 years now and I'd say I'm around average skill minimum. I can just about handle a chase but I always mess up with mind games on both survivor and killer. If I were to be matched based on my total playtime I'd be smashed so hard into the ground it wouldn't even be funny.

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788

I'm very curious how they intend to implement the new mmr in a game that has no concrete answer as to what a "win" is.

• Beefmur

its really strange because does getting mindgamed really mean your bad? in theory its just a guessing game isnt it?

• ClownIsUnderrated
    ClownIsUnderrated Member Posts: 1,031

If it actually works I can see some people probably won't have fun if they're just going against people who do gens so quick before you can even get three hooks. All I know is nobody won't be happy regardless of it works or not

• Beefmur

@ClownIsUnderrated Thats what is happening already though. Youre right on the everyone wont be happy tho

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

I agree with hours not always equaling skill but it would be much more fair than the current 5k hour killer against 20 hour survivors and vice versa

• Beefmur

im not denying that the 5k hour killer goes against 20 hour survivors. I was talking more or less about the balance of swf and how a completive mode might help somehow with it. (as long as the killer gets buffs in the playlist)

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,191

The game will always be a joke on top 1% where survivors will win 99 % of the time.

unless devs buff solos and then buff all killers, this won’t change.

• StreetRat115
    StreetRat115 Member Posts: 54

Yeah they should just drop MMR, they're not because bhvr is known for not listening at his community but they should drop the idea. If a game has rng you can't have sbmm because of the variables and also dbd has a lot of broken stuff both killers and survivors can use so it would be insanely hard to get a right sbmm system. They can't even optimize their game so I doubt they'll get it right

• smileybones
    smileybones Member Posts: 64

Beefmur: "Top 1-5% MMR IS A JOKE!"

Yords: *pulls out gun* "Always has been."

• Beefmur

can someone send this discussion to the devs please

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

I'm a casual and I would like to play with other casuals. If the MMR can do that for me, I'm happy. I don't think it needs to create an accurate ranking of the best players who ever were.

• BitingSea
    BitingSea Member Posts: 332

If they wanna add MMR they better add it into a special ranked system, maybe they could call it like "Grand Trials" or something, adding MMR to the normal matchmaking is gonna make the game unplayable no matter how good they make it

• Toblerone007
    Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598

Most pvp games hide the calculations for MMR for both abusing how to climb it quickly (boosting accounts) but more for exact opposite - deranking. Trust me it's not a bad thing to withold mmr from players.

• Blueberry

Is MMR not supposed to measure skill? You abusing it is just you being skillful which is the intended point of it in the first place.

• Toblerone007
    Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598

But you're not taking into account indirect effects of giving that information to players.

For example, you're told bad pallet efficiency will lower your mmr. Derankers will then drop pallets at the start of the match to derank faster. On the flipside, you're told pallet stuns increase mmr. Therefore, you try to land every stun regardless of if it's helping your team escape or not.

It's not as simple as do skillful interactions = win games. Trust me here. No other games reveal mmr for this exact reason. Name one that does (besides chess).

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,439

You are missing the point of OP. It's not about matchmaking. If you take a killer that has 5k hours, and have them play against a team of 4 survivors with 5k hours. The 4 survivors win basically every time, unless the killer is playing nurse and MAYBE spirit.

• Blueberry
    edited March 2021

Well to be fair most games MMR is just based on winning or losing between different MMR ratings.

I see the issue you're pointing out. I'd say that it's more indicative of another problem that needs fixing rather than trying to fix it through the MMR system though.