Is Stream Sniping Fair?

Comments

• Dragonshensi
    Dragonshensi Member Posts: 1,516
    edited March 2021

If I know they are SWF I don’t want to play against them. I don’t want to waste my time and sanity against toxic 4 man SWF teams. I would rather not do that and wait till after all the toxic rage to see if they were a SWF team

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,176

You don't see the problem here? Its not about winning, its that you're going out of your way to get info you shouldn't have access to. It doesn't matter if its a 5, 10 or 20 second delay. You're still doing it to hear what they're saying. And like I said, SWF is in the game. Its part of it. What you're doing is slimy, yes. You're opening a browser to listen in on a team of people when you shouldn't be. This isn't a movie, this is a video game. And if you have such a problem with communication and SWF, then that explains why you stream snipe every Ttv player. Cause you can't take it that they are using comms and you hate when they all escape 'because of it'. Just say you hate losing and you don't care if stream sniping benefits you or looks bad. You'll do it because in your eyes you deem SWF 'cheating'.

Also why ask this question of 'is stream sniping fair?' when you're just going to go on the defensive and argue everything without logic?

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,510
    edited March 2021

I normally come by after the match and watch the game and give them a gg wp. Doesn't stop people from being toxic to me and calling me a streamsniper though even when they have no viewers until i load the stream. But yeah no sniping for me. In answer to the topic at hand no its not bannable the devs officially state it.

• Dragonshensi

Are you saying you can’t help each other out unless you’re on comms? I guess you can’t solo q at all then since you can’t talk to your team.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,814
    edited March 2021

For example, I play on PC. I bought the game on Steam and I open up Steam every time I want to launch the game. Steam has voice chat capabilities built right in. I'm not as knowledgeable about consoles, but I would be very surprised if PlayStation or Xbox don't have a built-in way to chat with friends. Expecting people not to use these tools while playing a game that lets you party up with your friends is simply not realistic.

The ceiling of SWF is much higher than solo, but in practice it's usually not a big difference. SWFs are usually overly altruistic for party members, leading to some bad plays like risky save attempts, but not altruistic enough for the randos they're paired with, leading to other bad plays, like letting them struggle or die on hook. Many SWFs also don't have the game knowledge to communicate effectively, and many others straight up just don't talk about the game much. A couple of my friends like talking about other things because they feel any callouts hurt their immersion, for example. While solos are usually going to pick perks to help them survive, SWFs are also more likely to meme around with their builds. My buddies and I will all run No Mither, or all run Pebble, or random things like that just for the fun of it, whereas solos usually have less of an incentive to branch out and more of an incentive to run meta/detection perks.

Please justify how this game wasn't balanced around voice chat and SWF. SWF was released in version 1.0.3, which is early enough that SWF was probably on their radar as a feature they wanted to add. Regardless, let's remember the state of balance the game was in when SWF was added. BNPs would literally insta-complete full generators until version 1.5.3. Most maps had literal infinites and substantially more pallets, including a number of double pallet loops. Exhaustion recovered while sprinting. Bloodlust wasn't even added until 1.5.0... this game was ridiculously survivor sided at launch. They've had more than four years since then to actually balance the game and it has come a long way. There are still plenty of things to work on, but in my opinion the game is more balanced now than it has ever been and the gap between SWF and solo has never been smaller.

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,549

I love going and watching the VOD after the fact to see how I played from their perspective, but I wouldn't leave them up...that would just feel unfair.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

If they've got TTV in their name, I imagine they like the attention.

• Dragonshensi

Also you just made a great argument for why it’s unfair for killers with SWF teams. Cause they will know where I am and such. It works both ways.

• Mugombo
    Mugombo Member Posts: 509

Where did I say that? Now you’re just making random stuff up lol, guess reading isn’t a strong point either?

• Dragonshensi

so since I’m a level 13 killer I should just expect from now to constantly get red rank 4 man SWF teams? I’m not even a high ranking killer and I constantly get these sweat squads

• Dragonshensi

You fail to realize my point at all. You don’t get it.

• Dragonshensi

I’ve noticed sometimes the matchmaking tries to make it “fair” by tossing in one person close to my rank then the other three are all red rank 3 man SWF with a rando.

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918

Yes it’s fair. I can see why they dislike it but it’s fair. It’s their choice to broadcast their game to the world so you can’t blame others for watching. Afterall no streamer ever messaged me and said “hey mind if I broadcast you to the world?” They just do it regardless.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

yea it on ps4 too but not in the game it self and it a form of cheating no matter how you cut it this game was never balanced for it just because voice chat is on steam or ps4 or whatever does not mean it built-in to the game.

the game was balanced around solo play not swf on chat.

• Dragonshensi

Honestly I think there needs to be an icon or something stating to the killer whoever is in a party or SWF team, giving them the option to pass on it with that knowledge. Sure it will be harder to find matches but there’s always killers who will want to try and battle against a 4 man SWF team. I’m way too competitive and I’m not great at this game. So I know I’m just in for a rage inducing sweatfest and won’t really enjoy the match. Would prefer to not give myself any more of an ulcer lol

• Dragonshensi

A lot of the SWF team ive encountered are very well coordinated. They aren’t red ranks for nothing. If you are lower ranks using comms I’m not as harsh about it. Cause as you say, they aren’t effective at communicating yet and are new to the game. But when you have played enough to get good and get into red ranks and then on top of it you use comms. It’s like giving a grizzly bear a rocket launcher. It’s overkill and you are in for a bad time.

• Dragonshensi
    edited March 2021

I will extend an olive branch here and say stream sniping is ok in certain circumstances and games. Is stream sniping fair in games where it’s one V one? No. It is fair in this game where it’s 4 v 1 and you’re on comms with your team and I’m left in the dark? People this is a horror game. The killer is suppose to be a threat. Have you seen a horror movie where all the survivors know exactly where the killer is the whole movie so they just avoid the killer the whole movie and escape unharmed?

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

<shrugs> I've a big advocate of having Teams and Solo ques separate, so that the game can be balanced better for everyone involved. A 5th Perk Slot could be opened for Killers when they fight SWF. If that was enough to balance it, then they wouldn't have to keep trying to do it with Perks which has a poor track record. The SWF's 5th Perk (Comms) isn't something I really approve of either. Stream Sniping takes it to a whole new level. If you think Stream Sniping is ok, do you think a SWF using Comms with 1+ of them Stream Sniping the Killer is fine too?

We all have to look at ourselves in the mirror. None of the people on this Forum or in the end game chat are anything more than nameless, faceless voices squawking on the internet. Winning a game (that they don't know you got unfair advantage in) means nothing. YOU will always know you only managed that win by going outside the game. It is ultimately ourselves we answer to, measure against, and seek to better. You wouldn't have asked the question if you didn't already know it was wrong.

• Dragonshensi
    edited March 2021

Those are actually good suggestions that the devs will never do cause then survivors will complain about it being op. If a SWF team is also using a stream sniping for the killer as well I just shrug. They already update their team where the killer is constantly on the map. Now they just have a visual to go with it too. It’s not even that much of an overkill. Especially since there’s a 20 second delay for stream. Also I don’t think it’s wrong. I was just curious what other’s opinions on it are and I’m open to discussion.

• hak_kie
    hak_kie Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2021

I player killer a lot in my streams and have ttv in my name as well. You just know when its a SWF team and I just alter my play style a little bit. I treat DBD like a mind game. I've returned to DBD after not play for a year or so and have made it up to rank 6 in a few days. SWF teams i feel tend to go for unhooks more frequently. You gotta learn each persons playstyle quickly to adapt. Don't get me wrong. I get clapped by Red ranks SWF don't get me wrong. I just re-think about how the game went and how I could have improved. Such as tunnel to hard on someone in a shack who has mastered the loop. Yeah not worth my time. c ya

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

Stream sniping is not bannable, but it is unfair and really lame.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710

I will actually say i do this as well, when i see a ttv i will check out the stream mostly to check ranks. Im a rank 13ish killer as well so, if they majorly out rank me purple or red rank, i will leave it on not to listen to there comms because thats too distracting, i mostly ignore it, but specifically when im chasing the streamer i will listen, ive gotten some good tips about things i do wrong that way.

Not all streamers save vods so you cant always watch it later and i dont wanna keep a list of who i played when to search for them. I also always pop into chat to talk to them unless they were super toxic.

Also in a weird way i feel kinda justified as they are broadcasting my gameplay for profit so i feel that monitering what they say about me to however many people is kinda my business and I have dc'd and gave them crap for it if they are being too verbally abusive but thats only happened once or twice.

• MaxFiGuy
    MaxFiGuy Member Posts: 56

Stream sniping is not fair, and neither is SWF. Yes, it is a double standard.

• Hektic3000
    Hektic3000 Member Posts: 674

If you don't want to be stream snipped don't have your stream name as your in game player name.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,843

Pretty cringe ngl. I solo queue and stream and think that’s cringe to stream snipe. I always exit out of the streamers tab when I look pre game and we start loading in so I don’t have an unfair advantage.

• ClownIsUnderrated
    ClownIsUnderrated Member Posts: 1,031

It's cheating clear as day

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2021

If it was me I'd just look at there perks and destroy them if they lack ds as you know they do or don't have it. It's on them for streaming tunnel ftw

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,164

If you don't want to be sniped just set your stream to be on a delay or don't advertise you're a streamer via your gamertag/profile. It's like using OoO and getting mad at the killer for going after your aura when it's your fault he can see it.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710

If matchmaking was actually fair I'd maybe agree with you

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

Its totally fair. audio coms is not balanced into the game it was never meant to be in the game. If swf want to cheat by using external audio coms and a killer is listening in that's on them.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

It's not fair.

At all.

Furthermore, the comparison to SWF is not particularly valid. Their team is talking to each other. Okay. If you want the same benefit, talk to yourself. They only have access to intel available to their team, you should only have access to intel available to yours.

That said, advertising their ttv in their name IS KINDA INVITING IT, as well as inviting any other bad actors that want to get them flagged by ruining their chat. I have a friend that checks out ttv names in my lobbies, just to see what they are saying. Not what they are doing, not where they are hiding, just to let me know if they are being kind, sandbagging their team, or talking trash in general. If they are kind, I will treat them like all other Survivors. If he tells me they are sandbagging or trash talking, they get tunneled. Not camped, though, I need SOMETHING to do other than stare at a hook.

• ttvbardberd
    ttvbardberd Member Posts: 144

I mean a full SWF that are actually trying to go for win streaks or destroy killers usually have a OoO, if not all of them will have it, coupled with the information they get from an external source.

It's not fair for the killer to see their side, and it's not fair for the survivor to see the killers side, but there's no getting around comms.

At the end of the day, most streamers run soloQ or have a SWF because they're just playing with viewers/friends. I believe that those are the circumstances 99% of the time, because I also do this.

Also, stream-sniping is such a big issue for bigger streamers that smaller streamers just assume they'll go for it as well. Usually killers will only do it to see what perks you have, but I've had times where I've literally watched the killer stand still, only to turn around a few seconds later coming right towards me.

Small streamers are just trying to have fun and even though sometimes they can be obnoxious, who isn't obnoxious when they're playing a game Infront of an audience? You want to prove to your audience that you're either good at a game or entertaining, and that's what they watch for. (Audience could be you playing a game Infront of your friends for example, you want to show them you're good at the game you're playing, same thing applies to streaming I think).

All I would say to the OP though is that you shouldn't ever take a streamers words to heart because most of the time they just assume the worst, I mean you literally have a free means of info on your hands. Some streamers stream DBD for literally 12 hours 7 days a week, so it would make sense that they have run into a few nasty, horrible players here and there (Talking from my own experience).

Personally, I always just try to have a fair game. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the game and never really get mad or frustrated with anyone unless they are or I believe they are playing unfairly.

• kindyno
    kindyno Member Posts: 1

Love people saying that stream sniping gives advantage, but coms don't. Also want to point out, TOS specifically addresses stream sniping as something that is not bannable.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

Bro do you really think there is a 2-5 minute delay in streams? Lmao.

• Seanzu

Are you ok? Survivors don't know who the killer is, even if they wanted to they couldn't, and if you're a killer and see ttv you could make the choice not to be "broadcasted to the world" by dodging.

• Seanzu

Yet killers still snipe solo players so what's the excuse there?

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927

If you put TTV in your name and then complain about stream sniping you really aren't that smart.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited March 2021

A team abusing VC is the same as a streamsniper. Personally, I love my swf group because we all automatically use info perks to get our info and only occasionally call stuff out. But the ones that use comms as a replacement and basically get knock-off Kindred/Bond/Aftercare/Empathy/Visionary/Alert instead of playing the game and shooting the shite with their friends is the same as someone streamsniping.

Edit: that being said, the game could very easily be rebalanced around survivors having info (basekit info perks) and remove the biggest issue with SWF. The same can't be said about streamsniping.

• Seanzu

In this thread: killers try to justify cheating by any means necessary

• ttvbardberd
    edited March 2021

After reading pretty much the entire thread, I actually have some other points I'd like to make out too.

Growing up I used to play Halo with my brother, and back then all we had was splitscreen. One console. This meant you could screen-watch, thereby cheating to gain an advantage (In this case, knowing my brother's location).

Now, when you say SWF is cheating, you're essentially saying all team based games that have ever existed where you have Comms, are cheating. That's not the case.

In Halo multiplayer, there is team chat. We all used to play MW or MW2 (the ogs) and talk to our friends through Xbox Live Comms rather than the games Comms if we were playing with friends, whereas the in-game Comms is exactly the same as Post-chat in dbd essentially.

How can you sit there, and say that talking to your friends, talking to people and giving them info(where they have no actual visual representation of what's happening) is cheating?

Screen-watching IS cheating, Comms are not cheating. The same applies to streamers and DBD. Sure it's public, but it's not fair, it's literally getting info where you're not supposed to have it. SWF are allowed to have it, that's why it's built into the game.

As the OP is only a rank 13 killer as they stated in a previous comment, it is fair to assume you've probably never made it to Red ranks, thus you really can't complain about SWF. I'm sorry, but you've seen nothing if you're complaining about brown rank SWF.

Unless you're at red ranks, there is no way in hell any SWF is cheating (which they're not doing anyway). Red ranks against a Hag where the entire team can see you set your traps for a three gen, only to run over and instantly set the traps off really screws with that hag player. It's awful to feel, but it's built into the game, which is why I'm excited for the Object of Obsession nerf that the Devs proposed. It means that Trapper and Hag will probably be at the ranks of Freddy, Spirit or Cannibal to say a few.

TL:DR, Stream sniping is cheating, SWF is not.

• Dizzy1096

They see the killer after the game and give plenty of salt or smack talk, and some survivors don't put ttv in their name. Not to mention you don't know if the killer is a streamer.

I'm quite a private person and if given the option I'd opt-out of being streamed. It is what it is though, I just think there's a real hypocrisy to cry about being stream sniped whilst recording other people, broadcasting them to the world and profiting off them. Seems entitled.

• Seanzu

I dont think you understand what hypocrisy means if you thinks it's hyprocitic to want someone not to cheat at a game to win and expecting "privacy" because your 3D model is in a game 😂

• ttvbardberd
    edited March 2021

the Devs ABSOLUTELY discourage tunneling, slugging, camping, the whole ordeal. They literally have designed perks to stop killers from doing these things.

Here, let me name a few for you:

Tunneling - Borrowed Time, Decisive Strike

Slugging - Unbreakable, Soul Guard, No Mither, Tenacity, WGLF, practically any healing perk

Proxy Camping/Face camping - Kindred, Dark Sense, Object of Obsession

I mean the list could go on, there's way more perks that try to counter these gameplay styles.

Do I also need to bring up the fact that you get less points and pips if you tunnel, slug, camp etc? It's not bannable because it's built into the game, but it doesn't mean they don't discourage it.

"The respect you give to other is the respect you will receive", same thing applies to DBD, unless their cynical and don't care about how other players feel.

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on
  • Dizzy1096

How is it cheating? when you stream you're sharing your screen with the world. If we were playing LAN and I turned my screen towards you and shouted "look! look! look everyone! look at me play!" and then you just happened to use that information, would it be your fault or mine?

• ttvbardberd

Oh man you have a lot of comments that everyone disagrees with. Do you ever just stop and think that maybe you are the one that's in the wrong, whether you 'agree' with it or not?

The Devs don't favour either side. They're actively trying to make the game more balanced. They could listen to the community more for sure, but couldn't all game devs? At the end of the day, it's their game.

They're not survivor sided though, that's just a preposterous thought to have.

• Seanzu

It's crazy to me that this is how you try to justify it, it's not cheating because it's there to watch? Lmao this community expects streamers to be nice as we've seen from the threads the past couple of days but will then jump at the chance to kill them immediately because they have ttv in their name, now that's being a hypocrit.

Such an embarrassment.

This discussion has been closed.