Why do you Play DBD?

Hey everyone! I have been seeing a lot of negative posts recently and wanted to bring some joy <3! Why do you play dead by daylight? Did you start at the very beginning of the game? Maybe you discovered it one day and got hooked? Any special memories or feelings attached to the game that keep you coming back? I started playing when quarantine began and I actually hated the game at first lol! I didn't like the graphics or character design because it was so grimy and creepy, but it started growing on me! I also really enjoyed the intense hide and seek aspect of it and the silly moments I encountered. I also met so many great people through this game and the forums, so I'm grateful that even in a game about despair and death I was able to find a reason to keep on going :)!

Comments

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

I mainly play it because I have nothing else to play or do.

I did meet one of best friends through this game a couple years back though, so regardless of it's current state, I at least have to thank it for that.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,625

I play DBD for the three "Fs"

F- Fun: No other game provides as much fun as DBD does. I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that it is my favourite game.

F- Friends: We all hate to be alone, don't we? Playing with friends just makes everything much better!

F- Freddy: He is my babe, I love him. 

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638
    edited March 2021

My brother introduced me to DBD. I didn’t play it right away, but I always watched him play. He was a Killer main, but played Survivor every now and then.

Around the time Pyramid head got announced, I began playing DBD on Switch. At first, I was interested in maining Plague, but my brother advised me to play Spirit.

Needless to say, it was fun.

When I switched over to PS4 and started playing Survivor, that was even more fun. It moved from horror to competitive somewhere down the line, but now I’m trying to lose that competitive side and just play for fun. Plague has been a big help for that.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

Because apparently I hate myself.

Kidding aside, the few times I have a good match, where all the random team mates I'm placed with try their best, or when I play Killer and it's just a good fair game? It's really fun. I also enjoy the silliness when people aren't taking it too seriously.

The other 95% of the time, as stated by others; must be masochism.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,502

I played a couple matches of it on PS4 when it was free for PS Plus members. I couldn't stomach anymore however as performance on consoles was atrocious. Once I got it on my PC however I was hooked.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,785

The game helps me deal with stress, which pushes me to do my best. Win win situation.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

I must be one of the few who actually has fun almost all matches both on Survivor and Killer, being a Solo Queue enthusiast I reckon Solo can get extremely frustrating sometimes but overall I usually have more fun than anything else.

• Lexilogo
    Lexilogo Member Posts: 587

Okay, I understand this is supposed to be a positive thread, but I'm pretty sure "Maybe you discovered it one day and got hooked?" is an illegally bad joke in several countries.

Anyway, I really like gamesense and mindgames. DbD is a remarkably accessible way to get that without too many mechanical barriers.

• NocturnalPie
    NocturnalPie Member Posts: 25

Cause I stopped for 2 months and hopped back on to try and prevent myself from being stuck in grey ranks. Turns out I didn't need to worry, killer queue times are still instant up there too.

• Hazular
    Hazular Member Posts: 31

I genuinely just have fun when I play it - don't take it too seriously, if I win then I win, if I don't then oh well. I queue solo and play with friends in more or less equal amounts and they're both entertaining in different ways. I also like playing as Killer occasionally even when I get matched against hardcore red ranks.

And coming from a MMORPG background I actually really like the grind 😂

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

I like it. No other game allows me to beat the ######### out of other people with big boy demo!

• Lx_malice
    Lx_malice Member Posts: 1,417

My cousin got me into it back in 2018. I was way into Overwatch at the time but then Dbd had become my main game shortly after he introduced me to it. I really enjoyed killer so I considered myself a killer main and my cousin enjoyed survivors more so he was a survivor main. Every time I'd go to visit him we'd play Dbd all day and we met some cool people and had a lot of fun.

Eventually I bought myself a ps4 and Dbd for the ps4 just so I could play with him and all the friends we made(and for the ps4 exclusives I couldn't have on Xbox). These days he's not really into the game anymore and neither do most of the people we'd met so we kinda just stopped playing together.

I ended up sticking with the game cause I put a lot of time and money into it like learning how to play Nurse(which is another story), perfecting my mindgames, figuring out the ins and outs of loops, buying cool skins for all my favorite characters, and keeping up with my collection of all the killers. It's been one hell of a ride and grind let me just say but yea sorry for the whole ass auto biography lol.

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

I started playing in August 2020 around the time I bought a house and moved. Pokemon Shield was getting stale so I looked for something new.

I enjoy the complexity of the gameplay and real time risk analysis and decision making. Splatoon 2 is up there as well in regards to mix of strategy and skill, but is nowhere the complexity of DBD.

• Im_Tired
    Im_Tired Member Posts: 101

Asymmetrical games are awesome. Evolve (rip, I'll always remember you 😭) was my favorite game. Loved playing monster, loved hunting/trapping/killing the monster....and then the servers shut down and the game died

I wasn't interested in Friday the 13th enough to play that but dbd reminded me so much of evolve, and it's filling that void

Playing as the killer is fun when things go right, and the hide and seek/outplaying potential that survivors have is fun

• Moxie
    Moxie Member Posts: 806

I've been a horror fan for many years. My favorites were Clocktower, Haunting Ground, Amnesia and the like. The theme with all of them is that you are helpless in a world of stalkers or monsters.

I enjoy games where you are not the power character (Insert Killer Joke here) and you have to escape.

it's different than a lot of horror games that pile on weapons and combat.

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826

Whoops! I hadn't meant to make a pun, but I'll see you in court anyways lol

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

i hope to get a good match and when i finally get one i immediately feel better

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,176

I play b/c there's no other game like it and most games just don't hold my attention for too long.