Let's Talk Decisive Strike

Options

So lately everyone seems to be putting in their 2 cents about Decisive Strike. I guess it is time for me to share my input.

Decisive Strike is essentially a free escape from the killers grasp while he or she takes you to a hook. Since this perk is an Obsession Perk (unlocked via leveling up Laurie Strode) you will be given a higher chance to become the killers obsession.

If you are the obsession, DS will activate when the wiggle option would be available, giving you a skill check similar size to The Doctor's Overcharge Perk. Hitting the Skill Check will get you off the killer's shoulder and stun them for 3/3.5/4 Seconds. If you are not the obsession you must wiggle at least 45/40/35% before the Skill Check Activates.

Now in this current state Decisive Strike is often abused by "Juggling the Survivor" to a hook. This means dropping and picking up the survivor until they reach a hook. This is tactic is often avoided by killers because manually dropping a survivor gives them a large wiggle bonus each time they are picked up afterward. However if you are the obsession and have DS the wiggle is disabled until you A. Let the Skill Check expire and save DS, or B. Miss DS completely and losing the perk for the rest of the game. Because of this DS can be abused by Juggling as the Skill Check will keep triggering instantly and being canceled as you are dropped. This makes it very difficult for the survivor to use the perk and the killer has no penalty for exploiting it.

Now my thought of how to make Decisive Strike slightly better may have been mentioned before but the idea is really simple. There is an animation involving the killer picking up the survivor before DS can be used. Why not making the Skill Check begin during the animation? Now before people start to judge that idea, this already exists in the game via the Overcharge Perk mentioned earlier. As soon as the generator is touched the skill check activates and cannot be canceled before it appears like a normal one.

The only flaw in this idea that I know of is that the killer will have no chance to juggle, which is good for the survivor, but they would be at the mercy of the survivor missing or succeeding the skill check which would result in a free stun. To remedy this, the skill check zone for DS could be reduced to a smaller zone like a great skill check or slightly larger depending on perk tier. As for the stun if you were to increase the zone for skill checks each tier, then the stun should be a flat 3 seconds at all ranks. This way the killer would have a chance to continue the chase quicker than the current Tier 3 DS with a 4 sec stun.

tl;dr ~ Make DS Start on the Pick Up Animation instead of after it.

Anyway that is just my thought on it. Let me know yours down below so I can get a better understanding on what everyone thinks. If there is anything that would conflict with that such as other perks let me know!

Comments

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    Options
    How to fix DS: 
    Delete Laurie and all of her perks and replace her with Dr. Loomis. Done
  • DarkFox85
    DarkFox85 Member Posts: 74
    Options

I quite like the idea actually, and it’s a well written post to boot.

DS is a real thorn in killer mains sides [pun intended] and a “stealth buff” of any sort (be it real or just perceived) will be met with hostility. But hopefully the trade-off of killers not having to enduring the pickup animation only to walk two steps and then drop the survivor will be accepted against the counter of not having the option of doing that annoying juggle thing (which is no fun for anyone anyway). I think it’s reasonable!

Personally, I’ve always hated DS. I don’t want to waste a slot on a “get-out-of-jail-free” perk. There’s no guarantee you’ll hit the check and there’s no guarantee you’ll escape. Additionally, there’s a chance you made yourself a camp/tunnel target and given how toxic this community is I want to minimized bad vibes anyway. I’d rather bring Iron Will or Bond or something long lasting.

I remember one time I was the obsession [presumably a killer perk combined with a super rare case of no other survivor with DS] and the killer juggled me three time to the hook.

“Mate, I’m not packing DS and I’m sure my avatar is getting thoroughly bruised on the Haddonfeild tarmac.”

• Whispers23
    Whispers23 Member Posts: 111
    Options

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    How to fix DS: 

Agree. Her perks are bad.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Just nerf it or rework it. Those are the only acceptable things that can be done.
  • Entità
    Entità Member Posts: 1,583
    Options
    It's not probable the Devs will preserve DS nature or strengthen its power with a premature skill check: too many complaints of unbalance. I wrote six possible transformations of this perk here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/30297/decisive-strike-possible-changes-reworks

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    Options

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    How to fix DS: 

Watching that old man vault windows would be hilarious. He's no Bill and could barely walk in the movies.
    Would Loomis get a pistol perk instead? Hmm.

• Goldengeartwo
    Goldengeartwo Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Imagine actually asking for buffs to the most overpowered perk. Lmfao. 
  • rafajsp
    rafajsp Member Posts: 475
    Options

Main killers has to stop crying.
    I am 80/20 killer/survivor and i don't see 4 seconds stun be a game break.
    People need to stop to put their mistakes into a perk.
    Else, learn to drible.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Options
    @LeyDud prepare for the shitstorm my friend :)
  • The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I've changed my mind. DS is fine. So many killers camp/tunnel/noed that I can see why it's in the game now.

I've had a few games where I dont get hit all game and then go down right as the exit gates are powered. I DS out, get to the door and its open and I escape :lol:  its the killers been a bit campy/tunnely then they get a cheeky tbag too.

<3 Decisive Strike

Good killers can get rid of it early. Bad killers camp one player, try to noed a second and DS levels the playing field.
  • Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I've changed my mind. DS is fine. So many killers camp/tunnel/noed that I can see why it's in the game now.

I've had a few games where I dont get hit all game and then go down right as the exit gates are powered. I DS out, get to the door and its open and I escape :lol:  its the killers been a bit campy/tunnely then they get a cheeky tbag too.

<3 Decisive Strike

Good killers can get rid of it early. Bad killers camp one player, try to noed a second and DS levels the playing field.
    Except getting rid of it yields you nothing. You lose time and gain an additional chase. If you as a ds player do not get a chase out of your ds you missused it or got hilariously outplayed by the killer.

Good killers will not have time to eat a ds as it can often be the difference between getting a gen done or getting free unhooks. From a killers perspective, not being able to maintain hook pressure is a really bad.

4 active or 3 active survivours on gens is what you fight against at the start and when you start spreading chaos injuring and hooking ds allows you to stabalise.

Thats if their is only one in play. If there are two or four and the team takes hits to get it off or go down far from hooks you now are losing more gens and time.

Momentum is the key to a killers victory ds is a momentum killer. Imagine if a killer could take a hook state from you imagine how broken that would be. If a killer could take a perk that allowed them to pink mori you every game. That is ds.

Noed definatly cpmpare to ds as well and is a good parallel but even as freddy the weakest killer in the game i refuse to use noed even though ds exists so what's your excuse.