How is doctor a low tier killer?

How can anyone say that the doctor is low tier?

• He basically don´t need to search for survivor, just shock the area with the bigger shock therapy --> boom you found one. The optimal play is to shock right after you hook someone, most of the time someone is near
  • He also really don´t need to chase, just time the shocks at the right place --> boom the survivor can´t vault or drop a pallet.
  • He also slows down the game with the harder skillchecks plus tier 3 shock phase

So he is anti looping, anti hiding and anti gen rushing. Maybe i see it from the wrong side, but in my opinion he is the most complete killer.

Do you have any tipps to play against him? There must be a point i am missing, that he is ranked in low tier...

Comments

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546
    edited March 2021

he's ranked low tier by some people since he's outclassed by killers who have better loop denial. I personally think he's near the top of B tier.

Edit: spelling error

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

He isn't? From my experience, most of the time Doctor is considered either low A or high B tier. That's nothing to scoff at and the only thing keeping him from being higher is his lack of mobility.

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918

He’s very latency dependent. If he works, he’s strong. If he doesn’t, he’s just an m1 killer that makes survivors snap out of it occasionally.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,383

He's usually ranked around b tier which is average.

He still lacks mobility meaning spread out survivors are hard to deal with. His static blast has a 60 second cd meaning it still takes 3 minutes to get a survivor you aren't chasing to t3 madness for 12 seconds they have to spend to snap out of it. Lockers also counter his static blast.

The skill checks can be annoying but not harder to hit. You can combo it with unnerving and lullaby but that build falls apart when lullaby gets cleansed.

While well timed shocks can prevent pallets and vaults it doesn't stop survivors already engaged in the action. Also you can pre-drop pallets as well. Just don't camp pallets as that's an easy way to get caught against a doctor.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

The interrupt ability in his shock is overrated, still has to be good at chasing or he won't get a single hook. Other than that, he's definitely not low tier, he's comfortably on the high end of mid tier at worst.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,294

I think Doctor was the second or third highest kill rate killer in that graphic BHVR released, so I suspect he's a lot stronger than people give him credit.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

I think Doc is great, but I disagree with your first point. That’s a great way to waste Static Blast, and the cool down is too long to use it flippantly. Sure, you might think to yourself “well at least there aren’t any survivors nearby” if your Blast doesn’t shock anyway survivors, but even at base 32m TR, that’s an area large enough to cover a TON of lockers that survivors could have gotten into first.

I always, ALWAYS wait till I see someone before using Static Blast to ensure every 60 seconds at least ONE survivor is always immediately going up 1 tier of madness. Other survivors get hit by it too? Bonus. But I dare not waste it trying to use it as a tracking tool. Madness is better used as a time wasting tool in my opinion.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

I play a lot of Doctor and my thought are this.

His anti loop is OK, not amazing. Smarter survivors will know how to fake out a pallet drop or vault, especially on LOS breaker loops.

His static blast tracking can be annoying but ultimately doesn't help in chases so it doesn't really affect his viabiltiy.

Doc is OK. He's relatively easy to master once you know at what point to lay down your shock at specific tiles. But yeah he's not incredible.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

He is lowish middle tier because holding m1 is pretty effective.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

Speaking as a former Doc main who still plays him a lot he's by no means a low tier killer, but he's not top tier either, especially at the highest ranks. Regarding the OP's points:

-Doc's ability to reveal survivor's locations just isn't all that useful at high ranks. Most survivors at that level don't stealth as they prefer to be chased. Also, high level killer players are really good at finding survivors anyways by using crows/blood/sounds and even just general game-sense.

-High ranked survivors will never miss his funky skillchecks, even if you bring Unnerving/Lullaby. They just have too many hours experience with them.

-His anti-loop is decent if you master it, but it's nowhere near the level of killers like Nurse, Spirit, Freddy, or Deathslinger.

Basically you're left with decent tracking, extremely poor slowdown (from snapping out of madness), and okay-ish anti-loop.

Don't get me wrong, he's still loads of fun and has a ton of fun non-meta perk builds he can use, but he's neither top tier or bottom tier.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

You can still very much loop doc since his zap slows him a fair bit. Unless you are running BBQ and dont see anyone on it shocking immedietly after a hook is not optimal as 99% of the time survivors are on the other side of the map doing gens. His harder skilchecks mightaswell not exist unless its full on impossible skillcheck doc and I agree that people over look the value of managing peoples tier 3 to get them off gens for a while but with the new hud madness tiers are extremely difficult to tell. Doc isnt a low tier killer by most people he is in a solid C. All of this is coming from a former Doc main.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

He's definitely not low tier. He has great slowdown potential with a an anti-loop ability. It's counterable, but it's a very good ability when used correctly.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,533

Doctor is NOT low tier. He's just harder to use than Killers like Freddy, so people underrate him.

If you play Doc perfectly, the Survivors will really struggle to loop pretty much anything

• pennythewise
    pennythewise Member Posts: 48

He isn’t low tier or strong

i consider him b tier tbf , you can do well with out add ons or even weak addons i guess

also his power (not the static) can end loops and you can score a hit and the static helps you find stealthy survivors (commonly known as blendettes lol)

if you played well with him he might even be a tier lol

• UnentitledBunnyMan
    UnentitledBunnyMan Member Posts: 313

Your shock won't stop survivors using vault if u r not good enough.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

He is whatever for the same reason that only two killers are even remotely viable: he is an m1 killer. No matter how good you are, survivors can still impose god loops and hold W to waste a ton of time. He is good against bad survivors (which is true for most killers)

• ClownIsUnderrated
    ClownIsUnderrated Member Posts: 1,031

He's a high B Tier killer, and can be super annoying if you use Discipline with range add ons.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

While true that doesn't really apply to public games. Doc has an unsuprisingly high kill rate in red ranks. Tiers don't really come into play too often. If they did there'd be more Nurse mains.

• pigsaag
    pigsaag Member Posts: 206

my tips is to throw pallets faster. it's not too hard. and he has a solid base. so he is not low tier

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

He is more or less the embodiment of: Good Enough/Noob stomper.

He is the most average B tier killer you can find by having good strengths with his anti stealth/anti loop(once you get good at it) but is crippled by his lack of mobility and lethality.

Even though he has anti loop he has no way of actually downing survivors faster especially ones that just hold W(Not a specific weakness of the doctor's but all non mobility killers).

He is played a lot mainly because he's a fun killer with fun add-ons while being the main test for new survivors to see if they deserve higher ranks with his illusions/anti stealth/skill check nonsense.

• OBX
    OBX Member Posts: 854

Doc is a low level Claudette in p3 with urban evasion killer. He has a high kill rate preying on the stealth, immersive players. The folks who have learned to loop drop pallets early or hold w.

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841

He's not low tier, easily a solid B tier killer. He's just not any higher since he lacks mobility and even though he denies pallets and vaults, it takes him awhile to close the distance with the survivor whilst shocking.

• TheClownIsKing

“Doc's ability to reveal survivor's locations just isn't all that useful at high ranks. Most survivors at that level don't stealth as they prefer to be chased. Also, high level killer players are really good at finding survivors anyways by using crows/blood/sounds and even just general game-sense.”

This is exactly why I don’t waste Blast to find survivors. I always want to build survivors to T3 madness as often as possible, and waste as much of their time as possible. As far as killer base kit is concerned, Doc has one of the best powers for stalling the game.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

The OP asked why Doc isn’t considered good. You don’t judge a character’s strength on people not knowing how to play against him. What you said applies to pretty much every killer in the game: they all noob stomp.

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

2nd in red ranks! Just behind Freddy!

Number 4 overall in all ranks!

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

As a Doctor main, he's fun to use a solid B+ imo.

His main issues is that he's a complicated M1 killer. He can't pressure whole maps without slugging or running Distressing/Calm add ons. He does good with loops but is dependent on the user knowing how to time shocks.

If you look at other high rank killers, they can move so quickly and add similar pressure (Spirit, Nurse, Freddy).

Doctor is fun to use and will be my favorite so maybe I'm bias lol

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,938

He is very good at denying pallet drops or even baiting a pallet drop to trap a Survivor (shack tech). He also has the best tracking ability. He is nowhere near being weak, he's just very underrated.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824
    Negatives

-Lacks map pressure

-Non-lethal powers

-Punished pretty well for missing his power or the survivor just not taking the window/pallet/etc.

-Even if he hits his power, he still has to go through a normal chase to get into position to hit his power. Good survivors will loop you long enough at a loop until you're close enough to shock and land the hit and will just break off the loop when you go for the shock and lose distance or just keep looping if you miss/they dodge it.,

-Good survivors won't be missing those skill checks

-Good survivors know when to deny his Blast or just not care about it because they can loop if he comes to them

-He pretty much just punishes bad players(stealthing around the map, can't loop, pallet camp, can't hit skill checks, etc.) and is easily overcome by good players

Positives

-He stomps the ######### out of noobs

• ScornfulEpex
    ScornfulEpex Member Posts: 14

I don't think the optimal play is to Static Blast after hooking someone as it's easily predictable and easy to counter. Just my two cents.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Look at the top Killers: Nurse, Spirit, Freddy. What do they all have in common? Mobility. Any Killer that can only hold W to cross the map can't be any higher than mid-tier imo. Doctor is the definition of mid-tier.

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

he aint no low tier killer, survivors cant hide from him & his tier 3 disables most actions and makes them scream occasionally revealing their location to him

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

He's for sure not lowtier, those who think so are just terrible with timing shots/compensating for latency.

• gazzy_g
    gazzy_g Member Posts: 28

He's very good if you know what to do and learn exactly when to shock people, and quite often even against a swf i get 4k, however:

1. You do have to tunnel higher class groups sadly (or not sadly when they're cu*ts). The whole point of getting a t3 from a chase is so you always know exactly where they are. Get them out fast and you're set. Unfortunate for the person, but the game is what the game is. Eat a DS or two if need be, don't worry you'll catch them again unless you made the mistake of chasing the designated bait.

2. Got to have the right addons and perks. My usual build works fantastic for most games (except for real bad luck on totem placement). Wish they hadn't reduced the timer on pop...

3. A gen was being worked on, but your blast shows nothing? Yeah... Check the nearest two lockers and prepare for salt.

4. All the other generic tips about when to chase or not take the bait.

He's never gonna be top tier unfortunately, but he's my favourite little happy killer.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

Im a bit out of the loob, but arent there cases where screaming survivors ( just got zapped) can still vault etc?

• gazzy_g
    gazzy_g Member Posts: 28

There is a split second window. Not sure if it's deliberate or a sync issue between the killer and survivor though.

• TheClownIsKing

Yeah. But that can be a latency thing

Also, the power tool tip specifically says both Blast and Shock deny survivor actions for 2.5 seconds, except in actuality the Blast cannot actually deny survivor interactions for 2.5 seconds.

I’m uncertain if this means Blast is bugged, or if this is intended and the tool tip is simply incorrect.