3 mistakes newer Oni players make and 3 tips to improve performance

Yords
Yords Member Posts: 5,781
edited March 2021 in General Discussions

Mistake 1: Refusing to use your power on an injured survivor

Yamaoka's wrath is not just for using it on healthy survivors, it can still be used against injured ones. You are depriving yourself from an easier chase from not using your power. I would be careful with this though because of dead hard, and you shouldn't do it every time.

Mistake 2: Swinging around small objects such as a pile of tires or trees during demon dash

If the survivors you are up against are good and using objects like trees, rocks, tires, or other environmental objects to dodge your demon strikes while demon dashing, they are going to end up not getting hit a lot of the time. The easiest way to avoid this is to just stop dashing. It is really simple, but some Oni players get too overconfident in their ability to hit survivors around a circular object.

Missing an attack like this will allow the survivor to gain distance on you, so unless you have the topknot equipped, it is best to just stop dashing and then swing.

Mistake 3: Only usING THEIR POWER for chases

This is a mistake I also believe is a problem with new Oni players. These kinds of players only use their demon dash and strike to end a chase which isn't bad, but you should also be using Yamaoka's Wrath to run around the map and patrol generators if you don't have tracking perks. Even with perks like BBQ though, Oni players I see for the most part will only use it if they see someone with BBQ or thrilling. The amount of value you get out of each blood fury can always be good, just checking in on generators scattered around the map is good value. Once you start finding where survivors aren't at, then you will have an increasing chance of finding them with each place you don't see anyone at.

Be very careful with this though, and use it if you can accurately predict where survivors are at. If you lose your power you will have to build it up again.

So the 3 tips I have for new Oni players include:

• Use your power to down survivors quickly, regardless if they are injured or not. For example, if survivors are heading to a strong area of the map, then use your power.
  • Don't get greedy and swing around objects that survivors will probably dodge.
  • Use your power for patrolling generators, not just for chases, but don't overdo it and be very careful with this strat.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by Yords on

Comments

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

I played Oni a bit, but I'm a Survivor main. I have very little knowledge about how to play Killer efficiently.

So, thank you for the tips. I will take them into account the next time I'm trying to learn Killer. I wanted to rank up with Oni, as I love him so much.

• Yords

There are a bunch of other things that you can learn to do as Oni, but these are the 3 main problems I see with newbies. I would recommend learning at least this killer, he is awesome once you become skillful with him and you will be downing survivors left and right.

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638

Thank you so much! 😌🙏 I’m currently trying to learn Oni, so any advice helps a lot. Thanks.

• Yords

While the points you made are true, I still think it is a good idea. I probably should have explained this in more detail, but when patrolling generators without tracking perks such as discordance or BBQ, it becomes more of predicting which gens survivors are repairing and heading there instead of using it to search the entire map. For example, you see scratch marks or crows in one direction scattered around so you use you power to check in over in one direction where you will find survivors.

I still think that just patrolling generators to see where survivors are and aren't is still great. Just the act of patrolling is pressuring survivors and of course it is best to be very decisive and conservative with this method. I play a lot of Oni myself and I do this quite often, the only times I lose all of my power are when I use it without thinking and when I am up against a coordinated team.

• Karao_Ke
    Karao_Ke Member Posts: 1,221

Hm. These tips are great in most situations but I disagree on the first one.

Oni is all about management, particularly power management. Given he has to rely on survivor mistakes to obtain his power, using it willy nilly isn't always the best idea unless the survivors are complete potatoes.

With that being said, unless the game is already in your favor and/or you have perks like Infectious to start a snowball, using an impulse Blood Fury on an injured survivor could potentionally be total waste of your power considering they could definitely exploit it at loops which is mentioned as your 2nd point.

In my honest opinion, if you feel the need to use Blood Fury on an injured, you should probably drop the chase anyways because that means they've got heavy distance on you and are already across the map.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Well,i pretty much only use Blood Fury if i actually see a survivor because i would end up just wasting it otherwise.

But i definetely agree with the second tip.It's pretty good because most survivors will expect a demon strike out of your dash.Stopping the dash and then going for the strike will throw them off quite often.

• Yords

I forgot to say that you shouldn't use it all the time, but I think it is something that Oni players should take advantage of. Using it on an already injured survivor is still great, that is an easy down you can get and of course, it would be better to save it for a healthy one, I just wanted to make it clear that you can still use it against injured survivors but use it more sparingly when doing so. Basically, using your power on an injured survivor is useful, but you must be a bit more decisive and thoughtful about it and relly only use it if necessary.

If you are up against good survivors who happen to be injured, I would use my power. It is hard to say without clear video evidence of how well this works, so for now I will just leave it up to that we are just having different experiences.

It depends on the strength of the map you're on or not. On a map like lery's, yeah just drop the chase. But on a map like the farm maps? It would help to use it on the injured survivor.

• Karao_Ke
    Karao_Ke Member Posts: 1,221

I agree with you now that you put it that way. Definitely a strat you could use but shouldn't be something you do by impulse. If you have an opportunity because they're running in the open cornfield, by all means go ahead.

• IleOddity
    IleOddity Member Posts: 7

Yo thanks. Oni is the next killer I'm trying out and I appreciate the tips

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,856

I've been struggling with Oni as I find him fun to play and want to improve. Thanks for making this.

• boostedsurvivormain
    boostedsurvivormain Member Posts: 399

I wouldn't say I'm the worst Oni, but thank you for this. Great tips friend