Trickster is terrible, and it's because of Behaviours pride and PTB ignorance.

Options

It's a constant issue, the PTB is basically useless, if we don't stroke their ego they act like children. Two chapters come and go and the most notable change is Blight getting changes he should have had BEFORE he released. This is the issue Scott Jund and other burnt out streamers are having. We're playing the same game with new bug fixes every patch because no one plays the terrible, unfun, no-good new killers. We can only pray that one day Behaviour will run out of money and sell this game to a competent studio or even get bought out.

Comments

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903
    Options

though I do not disagree with some of your comments, the idea that other games do not do bug fixes on older content is very much incorrect. Should blight have had the POV then that he now has? YES... but bugs are found all the time in all games and bug fixes happen, even in mmo's and other games as new content will always bring to light other bugs that need fixing or bugs that weren't fixed before because it was unclear why it was happening and now that the why it was happening is known. We players THINK that we know exactly what causes a bug to happen, but we only know what we see as the trigger how ever in programming that is merely the symptom and not the actual why.

You are correct I too think the PTB is a joke, there is not enough people that play on the ptb for them to really know much till after the chapter release/mid-chapter release. it's painfully obvious that there is no reason to truly go there except to try it out early. meh i don't go anymore myself. You are incorrect about the comment in selling this to a competent studio as well because they wouldn't have the same drive to keep it good and might just make even more of a cash grab than anything. it'd probably get worse TBH.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,098
    edited March 2021
    Options

It's more of an issue with their near complete reliance on big data over gameplay experience. Don't get me wrong, both are valuable and have their place, but it doesn't take a large amount of data to show that Trickster has all the disadvantages of similar killers but nothing that elevates him to their level or separates him from them.

That's where gameplay knowledge and experience comes in. When an S tier Huntress/Deathslinger player is struggling to down players with another ranged 110 killer, that should be sounding alarms. Even if you don't have that player on staff, that's what your PTB is for. This isn't about not using the killer correctly. This is, again, basic stuff (or should be) to anyone experienced. Huntress/Slinger land health states whereas Trickster lacerates. Trickster does absolutely nothing else to make up for that but moves at the same speed OR WORSE as those two. Zero utility. 110% movement speed. Objectively worse downing capability in every scenario.

• DominiqV
    DominiqV Member Posts: 54
    Options

I largely agree and your criticisms are fair, I don't really have an issue with the bugs, i more so mean that the only noticable difference between chapters are the bug fixes, because no one uses the new killers. However, dbd is an exceptionally buggy game, and that is the fault of the devs. I believe they still have the game made in Unreal Engine blueprints, if not, it's in C++ that was written by people who are less than proficient in the language. There's a reason dbd is buggier than other games.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903
    Options

you speak of scott jund's critisims about "blueprints" well that's been answered and debunked. the game is in C++ with the use of SOME areas for the "Blueprint" this is why I put no stock in jund's most criticisms. now here i do agree there are bugs that the devs could have fixed long ago and it's very buggy, I agree they could do more. but without knowing the actual source you can not say for certain what he claims is true etc. but all programmers will use anything they can to do what they need.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    edited March 2021
    Options

Over 500 employees is not "very large." They're still a private company, and not all of those employees are even dedicated to building the game. EA has around 10,000, for comparison.

The reason they can't add these things willy-nilly is because of a structural bureaucracy, and because they really don't know if they should. Sure, I think I would play trapper if he started with all of his traps, but that's just me. There's no way to tell, reliably, if they should or shouldn't. Obviously, there's some fear of upsetting the community too, just because of how *insert expletive* this community is, so they stick with the status quo, the easier option. Trapper isn't exactly broken, he's just weak, and from BHVR's perspective, it's better to leave him as he is then it is to make an update which would potentially upset people.

Testing for balance is more difficult then you presume. They're on a rigid schedule, which means that, even with testing, they don't have the time to trickle through the bureaucracy and make it into the actual game. It all takes time; BHVR has limited resources, just like everybody else.

By "upper management," I assume you mean the game design team. Cosmetics are probably handled by a separate branch. Graphic design just needs to be designed and implemented, no complicated game theory or intricate programming required. The game design process is much more *insert comical industrial noise.*

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Some complaints are an overreaction but when 99.9% of the community was in agreement that Trickster had some severe issues on the ptb then maybe it's a good idea to acknowledge that there are some serious problems with this killer. Normally it's 50/50 with killers saying underpowered, survivors saying overpowered, but with Trickster even the survivors are feeling sorry for this guy.

They absolutely could have buffed him there's no time crunch issue there it was an intentional decision to release him in this state.

• ShamelessPigMain
    Options

The issue is that the community isn't the best indicator of what's right. I don't dare to think of community designed DBD. Plus, it's not like there are established modes of communication to accurate reflect what the community wants.

They already had to delay him by a week. They clearly were having issues with timing, and just said screw it, let's just fix the game-breaking bugs and we can worry about the actual buffs later.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,403
    edited March 2021
    Options

Meanwhile almo:asking for colorblind is annoying its not happening for a while. Also almo: old clowns underrated,Facecamping bubba is fun,OoO is balanced,And everyones just overreacting and trickster is infact to strong. And maybe legion shouldnt vault pallets? And the oh so famous "pop got nerfed because you can do a lot in 60 seconds and still have it available" *roasted for like a whole month with new responses*

• ShamelessPigMain
    Options

Meanwhile, Almo is one person and frequently misquoted.

• Guest1567432
    Guest1567432 Member Posts: 728
    Options

Can't wait for Almo's stats on kill rate for Trickster....oh wait Trickster is dogshit and will never be picked after 2 weeks.

• supersonic853
    edited March 2021
    Options

A lot of these like the colorblind mode one literally have clips on twitch of him saying it. And the pop nerf he came onto the forums and said that himself in those exact words. This is a dev in charge of gameplay balance. Just sayin the devs aint even close to what they could be.

• ShamelessPigMain
    Options

Well he's on the game design team, which means that *insert drumroll* he's not involved in colorblind mode compatibility. And yet again, he's one dev.

• supersonic853
    Options

I was more so talking about the trickster being actually to strong, OoO being balanced (that one was halarious) and his reason for the pop nerf. Which he is in charge of. He even had impossible skillcheck doc nerfed because he couldnt hit a lullaby snap out of it skillcheck "lullaby doesnt say it works on all skillchecks"!

Oh really? Also hes the lead...so we should be worried if he is the "one dev".

• Profezia
    Profezia Member Posts: 673
    Options

"midsized company"

that earns millions and that easily gets extremely famous licenses.

With the amount of cashgrabs they've put in the game since 2019, they must deliver the best content possible yet they ######### their pants with every chapter release.

Also, covid isn't an excuse. There's a vaccine and the threat is gone.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

When every single person that plays him says he's in a horrid state and that he needs some serious fixes, maybe just maybe there's something to that.

Now he has been released to a wide audience and surprise surprise everyone agrees with the initial complaints.

• DominiqV
    DominiqV Member Posts: 54
    Options

He's a dev, perhaps he echoes sentiments held by other people in the company, about something that came years later than it should have. Just a perhaps though.

• ShamelessPigMain
    Options

Not necessarily. BHVR is just a very esoteric company that doesn't release much about its inner musings. It's the unfortunate truth that BHVR isn't the best at PR, and who could blame them when they aren't even public?

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    Options

The Trickster is worse than The Plaque. In Every. Single. Way.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Don't forget him saying the clown rework is a success and they're really happy with it. Meanwhile vast majority of player reactions ranged from "whats the point" to "its worthless"

He said people weren't understanding the clowns true potential before, well the rework made that issue even worse because people sure as hell aren't understanding his true potential now so even by their own standards the clown rework was a huge failure.

• supersonic853
    Options

Ah yes lets already give a kinda hard killer a ability that requires even more luck and skill! Which is arguably worse then his purple anyway.

• ShamelessPigMain
    Options

Do you know how much EA makes? 5.5 billions. It's all in being relative. Plus, most of that money goes to operating costs. Video game companies have notoriously thin profit margins. And the only reason they get famous licenses is because they got one famous license, and the spiral down fame road happened from there. That speaks to DBD's success, not the company itself.

BHVR is a company. The point of companies is to make money. Literally everything any company does is a cashgrab. They have no obligation to make art, they have no obligation to satisfy their community, they just exist to make money. That's capitalism.

And no, COVID is very much not gone. Montreal is still very much in a lockdown state, and even a vaccine (which means nothing unless you can get distribution chugging along), won't save you if the strain is allowed to modify itself.

• Guest1567432
    Guest1567432 Member Posts: 728
    Options

@supersonic853 Wait...so Almo is the Lead design dev? if so that explains a lot.

• PeaceNGrease
    PeaceNGrease Member Posts: 673
    Options

Is there a compilation somewhere? Lol I'd love a montage

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,599
    Options

Seeing as this thread is basically just trying to insult one particular game designer (also, not the lead game designer), I'm closing this here.

I would remind you that it's not one person that makes the decisions for what gets changed but a team effort and calling someone out in this manner isn't accepted here nor is attacking people in this way.

This discussion has been closed.