Honest opinions about Oblivious and Undetectable

Long term player here, becoming ever-increasingly disheartened at the game I love.

I'm interested to hear what people think about the two new status effects? I am well used to big changes in the game; some I like, some I don't- but either way I can get over them.

These two new status effects, however, seem very confusing to the consistency of the game. It appears they are just knee-jerk reactions to the Ghostface/stealth problems that haven't really been thought through.

The biggest problem for me is that now LOTS of perks are being rendered useless or less effective, for both sides. It also makes counter-play for the casual player very difficult and confusing as you now have to not only know the perk effects, but also WHO they will trigger against, and WHEN they will/will not too.

Killers immune to borrowed time. Survivors immune to coulrophobia.

Nobody still knows if Spine Chill will work or not.

It seems a lot of compromise for a new "status label" that didn't need it in the first place.

Comments

• TheUnendingNightmare
    TheUnendingNightmare Member Posts: 1,172
    edited September 2019

Those are not even new statuses...

Undetectable is a slightly buffed version of Myers stalk, that now if I'm not mistaken, all stalking killer uses.

Oblivious was the old Pig stalk. Which has a stalk mode was weak af but is really strong has a status. I personnaly don't mind has this just mean more diverse killer pool for us higher up.

• TheUnendingNightmare

Also, oblivious does not prevent the use of sensory/aura reading perks I think, has opposed to undetectable. Keep that in mind if you have a lot of trouble with that status effect.

• FishFry247
    FishFry247 Member Posts: 696

its a good change imo

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047

Right now, Demogorgon is the only one with Undetectable status effect on his power. Demogorgon and Freddy are also the only ones with Oblivious status effect on their kit.

• TheUnendingNightmare

Yeah that's what ppl SAY but when you look at the oblivious and undetectable description...that's exactly what i said. You can test it in custom games if you don't believe me.

• CyberianFaux
    CyberianFaux Member Posts: 232

Devs have stated that Undetectable is coming to all forms of stealth for killer. They simply didn't have time to put it on all of them for this patch.

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047

I know that, I just said that right now, just Demo has this status effect.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

I like it, i just really dislike how Freddy just becomes immune to borrowed time from them.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

I honestly haven't even felt either of the two new status effects.

But then, I haven't been runnign Spine Chill while leveling Nancy, so that's to be expected.

• TheUnendingNightmare

But you're fine with Leatherface and Hillbilly denying DH ? Myers denying all sensory/aura reading perks ?

I think it's nice a killer can deal with a meta perk. Also if this is really a problem to you DS still work and OoO shows his aura at all time no matter the distance when asleep.

• Personally I think survivors shouldn't be aware that they're "oblivious" because, well ya know, they're oblivious?

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171

Undetectable is okay.

Honestly though the devs are caught between a rock and a hard place with Undetectable. If Spine Chill/Premonition work on Stealth Killers then the Stealth Killers still aren't very good at stealth; it's just Killer aura reading perks (which are already not great) getting nerfed. If Spine Chill/Premonition don't, then they become nearly worthless perks.

It's a lose-lose.

As for Oblivious, it's a terrible concept right now. There are tons of issues caused because of it.

OoO prevents any mind games on an Oblivious Survivor; Coulrophobia, Unnerving, Overwhelming, Dark Devotion and Infectious Fright all become useless against Oblivious Survivors; The Doctor loses half his power against Oblivious Survivors; Prayer Beads Spirit is even stronger against Oblivious Survivors and Spirits without Prayer Beads are weaker against Oblivious Survivors; The Legion goes back to their pre-Rework state against Oblivious Survivors; Borrowed Time becomes worthless if either Savior or Savee have Oblivious; and the Comms-Noncomms Survivor gap becomes even bigger.

Oblivious might be okay in the future, but at this point it'd make things worse rather than better for the game.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

Spine chill/premonition doesnt ruin stealth killers.... they both still require game sense.... if you're in the middle of the map and spine chill goes off, alls you know is the killer could be 36 meters away at most you dont know where and tbh you dont know how far because the killer could be like 10meters from you and just look in your direction and set off the perk.... the perk does what its supposed to do which is telling the player "ya gotta think about moving/hiding"

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Can't wait to get Undetectable as Wraith! 🤩

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428

I dont see whats wrong with Oblivious. M&A on Doctor has existed for a long time now, and the best option has always been to just not use the perk (unless you are doing a special buuld). Same deal with Oblivious. Its not a base mechanic, its only for certain Killers and possibly perks in the future. All optional stuff. You can perfectly choose to pair or not pair stuff together.

• TheUnendingNightmare

Oblivious is fine.

Ppl just need to wait at least a month before saying it is impossible to deal with.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,370

I personally think that oblivious shouldn't counter BT, if a killer is camping and someone has BT then the killer shouldn't be able to just go after the unhooked person again.

• TheUnendingNightmare
    edited September 2019

I kinda agree but at the same time some killers are designed to counter some perks.

Leatherface counter DH.

The Nurse counter empathy and selfcare.

The Spirit counter SB.

Etc.

See what I mean ?

• TheUnendingNightmare

Also we all know camping just mean the Killer is losing the game and will get only 1 or MAYBE 2 kills.

• indieeden7

No? Do you see what you mean? I dont mean to sound rude but only one of the things you said is true and even then it's situational.

• Dead Hard can go through a chainsaw

• Nurse has nothing to do with people healing, her teachable perks do, and even then it in no way correlates to empathy

•Spirit can only counter Sprint Burst if the survivor using it keeps running. If you use Sprint Burst then you will leave the Spirit's Terror Radius very quickly, you will be told that she is phasing and therefore a smart player will stop running and walk instead.

• Clockso
    Clockso Member Posts: 853

instead of changing OoO they just made a new status effect, now perks like alert or dark sense are gonna suffer for no real reason

• TheUnendingNightmare

If you can't see it, what can I say except you don't have the will required to understand it. No offense.

• indieeden7
    edited September 2019

I'm sorry but I still have to disagree. Why do you think that the entirety of a killer's ability is to simply shut down one or 2 perks? The Pig has the ability to hide her Terror Radius, but is her power about countering Borrowed Time? No, it's about being able to sneak up on survivors and force them to stay off gens with the threat of a 2 minute death.

• TheUnendingNightmare
    edited September 2019

And you just took literally the worst killer in the entire game has an example...so ? Yeah Pig is bad...look at the thousands of threads about it.

• indieeden7

Okay, I'll choose a better one. Hillbilly has an instadown, is his whole ability dedicated to countering Dead Hard? No, it's intended purpose is to apply map pressure and end chases out in the open quickly.

• TheUnendingNightmare
    edited September 2019

Nope it is intended to balance DH at higher ranks. That's why we only have 2-3 reliable killers higher ups(red ranks).

They are all killers that counter certain perks or actions the survivor do.

Hag, can break loop and jukes.

Myers, can bypass DH and MoM(although it's a bad example).

Doctor, completly destroy immersive perks like UE.

• TheUnendingNightmare
    edited September 2019

Higher ups killers are;

Leatherface, bc he can insta down denying MoM and DH.

Cannibal, same reason has Leatherface.

Huntress, usually running with iridiscent axe to counter jukes, loops and lithe.

Hag, same reason has the Huntress.

Spirit, can easily catch Up to running survivors and find them has easily with add-ons.

The Nurse, I don't meet enough to Say but apparently there's some around ?

• indieeden7

You're right in one aspect, but no killer is intended to counter a perk. Killer's abilities are to counter survivor playstyles as you said, add-ons and perks are used to counter other add-ons and perks.

However, again, how you can say that Hillbilly's power is to "balance Dead Hard at higher ranks" completely baffles me.

1) Dead Hard isn't this God tier, uncounterable perk every killer main makes it out to be, it can screw survivors over and can easily be baited out.

2) Hillbilly was in the game for about a year before Dead Hard was even a thing so your claim that Hillbilly's entire power is to "balance Dead Hard at higher ranks" is a complete falsity.

• TheUnendingNightmare
    edited September 2019

I'm not saying it is specifically There for this jeez don't make me say things I didn't mean.

What I mean rather is that it is balance and work this way to help deal with that kind of perk and playstyle.

Which imo isn't bad. Which is why Freddy denying BT isn't the end of days.

• TheUnendingNightmare
    edited September 2019

Like by comparison the Hag is balance around her ability to juke and loop. Not how fast she win games.

Hillbilly like Leatherface is balance around his ability to insta down survivors not how good they can loop and juke.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

Dead hard is completely different from bt, imo. Dh is an exhaustion perk that only gets denied if you make a mistake in being out in the open/curved on by a billy, which is perfectly healthy and fine. But with bt, its primary use is against campers & tunnelers.

The biggest reason why i dislike that he’s immune to it is because theres now virtually nothing survivors can do if a freddy decides to camp, and the camped survivor doesnt have ds.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Leatherface is the cannibal. And he is not used at higher ranks due to his glaring weaknesses (windows and his tantrum).

It's not because he can instadown, it's because he swings multiple times, effectively overriding MoM and BT.

Huntress' hatchets are unreliable. There are times they hit when they shouldn't, and there are times when they don't hit when they should. Also the environment on several maps is really bad for her (Haddonfield + Autohaven).

Hag cannot counter perks like Lithe, Sprint Burst, or Balanced landing except if they run to a trapped area. She is also very hard to master so not many try.

Nurse on console isn't common, however, on PC she is one of the main red rank killers.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Absolutely not. Dead hard is to bait out attacks and gain distance, as well as being very predictable by people who use it. If one were to Dead Hard a billy saw, say, to the side, then it absolutely was worth it, and the billy was already wasting his time with a saw rev on an injured survivor.

But billy's been in the game forever, since launch. Saying he was designed for that is ridiculous, since David King came out with Huntress.

Hag is dependant on skill and addons, and most of the time is countered by crouching and flashlights. Also only if she has prepared for that loop in the first place.

Myers cannot bypass MoM in T3, and I don't know why you'd say that. Endurance for survivors overrides Exposed every time. Myers can only bypass DH if he expects it (He only gets around four T3s in a normal game, so DH is still viable against him). I don't know why you would say that.

I can't say why doctor was designed or for what purpose, but I don't think anti stealth was the reason. He has counterplay and funny enough, stealth is the best option. Sure, not for your first shock, but if you know to stay in T1, then he has no way of tracking you. At least if you're smart, he has no way of tracking you. Doc is WEAK.

• Star99er
    Star99er Member Posts: 1,447
    edited September 2019

The new status effects are fine. I do however think that certain perks like Premonition, Coulraphobia, and Spine Chill need compensation buffs.

• slingshotsurvivor
    slingshotsurvivor Member Posts: 943

I main Freddy and LOVE IT! When I play survivor not so much... Guess it depends on what side you play.

I will say that as Freddy I've encountered a lot more first hook deaths because of it but I guess that's the trade off if I want a chance at end game.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

Undetectable is one of the best things for DbD since EGC. Sure, it renders aura reading perks useless against stealth killers, but should you see a cloaked wraith with OoO? Probably not...

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

Its kinda weird that oblivious blocks those " in terror radius effects".

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

Completely wrong here. None of these killers are designed to specifically counter a perk with their base power. Can some of their abilities do so? Sure. How does the chainsaw counter DH when No Mither is being run? The two perks are on the same base survivor for a reason. Always injured and always ready. If anything, David's base perks were designed to counter the use of insta-down. And yes, I see killers chainsaw injured survivors all the time, thus DH comes into play. This gets chalked up to situational avoidance, but the perk is still useful.

Hag counters no perk with her base powers.

Meyers does not counter either. His exposed status can insta-down, but he likely has many injured opponents around the field capable of using DH to avoid it. He also is likely to score more M1 hits than exposed hits throughout the game, thus not nullifying MoM, but situationally capable of avoiding it. Still not a complete counter.

Doctor does not completely destroy UE. He makes it more difficult, sure. But good stealth players still make it work. I've been able to use UE plenty of times to avoid Doc long enough to put enough distance between us that he goes for another target or wastes a ton of time looking for me. Add Calm Spirit in and you are seriously hindering Doc's tracking ability unless he is looking in your direction. Again, does not fully counter the perk, but makes it less effective.

On the other hand, the new changes completely shut down several perks, much like EGC completely shut down Lone Survivor/Sole Survivor.....whatever that perk that nobody ran was.

I love that stealth killers got a buff, but not at the expense of killer and survivor perks, and not one that promotes a frustrating gameplay tactic like tunneling off the hook.