Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

People who play without spine chill. How is it working out for you?

dspaceman20
dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I have made a post before about spine chill and I have decided in order to get better I'm going to play a few games without it. But I have to ask

To the people who play without spine chill. How is it for you? How often so you get hit or grabbed from stealth killers. Are they a bug problem or not?

Comments

• dspaceman20

How often do you get grabbed or a hit from stealth killers like Wraith or Ghostface?

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

I love love love using spine chill, it's in my main build but when I play without it I don't have any issues.

If you look around you usually can spot any ambushes as long as you have escape route. If you don't and are injured, you're clearly gambling and rely on killer beiing eslewhere.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177

I also never use Spine Chill. I've never had any issues with getting surprised or whatnot.

I suppose it does occasionally happen but the 1 in 100 times when Spine Chill might have saved me a hook isn't really worth it the other 99 times I'm playing.

• valvarez4
    valvarez4 Member Posts: 868

I used to play with spine chill, but when you don’t use it for 5-10 matches you see it’s not necessary because are better perks. Can’t imagine playing without kindred or dh. For the other 2 slots I use iron will and resilience. Sometimes I change iron Will with detective hunch

• Shymare_11
    Shymare_11 Member Posts: 494

Yeah I love spine chill but I literally struggle at discern whether something is person, tree, or killer; so, yes I do get grabbed.

• StreetRat115
    StreetRat115 Member Posts: 54

I used to be like you that ran spine chill for every game and when I took it off I felt vulnerable for a while. I recommend you change spine chill for windows of opportunity, a lot of people think it's a perk for beginners but it's really not, it gives you an idea of what your movement is going to be when the killer chases you so it extends chases for a lot of time. I find stealth killers only a problem on indoor maps, if you're aware of your surroundings on most of the other maps you should be fine.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

Never used spine chill I don't need it.

Keep you eyes open move you camera when your on a gen.

Don't sit on the side of a gen where the killer can easily pull you off.

Know your surroundings and your path to escape.

• Volfgang57
    Volfgang57 Member Posts: 369

Same. I play with headphones as well, so even if it's a stealth killer I can usually hear them coming (Wraith snarls, Michael breathing, Ghostface cloth wooshes, etc). Managing your gen position is key as well. I think the only time Spine Chill would be super helpful is against a Tier 1 Michael with a scratched mirror. Otherwise there's much more useful perks out there

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

I'd like to borrow whatever X-ray glasses you're using in that case

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

No amount of Red Bull is going to help you detect the Ghostface on the other side of the wall.

• JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,060
    edited April 2021

Except sound.

Also - Ghostface also can't stalk me on the other side of the wall. Again, positioning and situational awareness.

Just because you can't do something, doesn't mean I can't. I do fine.

• JimbusCrimbus

This.

Ghostface, when close, makes a decently loud noise with his cloak. It's called "a tell".

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

As a chili using tinkerer Bubba I approve of this thread.

• dspaceman20

I must have terrible headphones then because I can't hear him over the generator sounds.

Also how loud and how far away can you hear Ghostface?

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167
    edited April 2021

The only killers I think spine chill is a must when facing: Ghost Face and Spirit

All of the other stealth killers are easy to spot and/or have really loud ques like Wraith's stomping and snarling

• JimbusCrimbus

You just refuse to accept that other people are better than you at something. Please, learn to accept that you're not the greatest survivor alive. Holy moly, lol

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,145

I use two of my five senses for this game.

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s a life saver in solo Q where you don’t have to be overly concerned with your teammates dying. Only in SWF I’d worry about bringing team oriented perks.

By the time you hear a wraith or ghostface it’s probably too late and they are basically going to get a free hit on you. By the time you hear a tinkerer Bubba saw you are well within chainsaw sweep range. Deathslinger can walk around a corner and you are already in his attack range. Or maybe you don’t know that a speed addon tinkerer Oni / Blight / Billy is about a second away from paying your generator a visit.

I get so many free downs with Tinkerer and stealth killers, I’m running silent bell on my wraith half the time. I do range addon nurse + monitor and teleport onto gens from outside the terror radius.

There’s no shame in using spine chill.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

I have eyes so I dont need it 99% of the time against most killers but I still run it sometimes just cause of how much it lets me ######### with stealth killers.

• JimbusCrimbus

You continue to question and question. Acting like it's impossible. You asked once, you were told once. Yet, you keep sitting there in disbelief as if it can't possibly be true. By association, you're calling me a liar.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

I currently run

Inner Strength, Decisive Strike, Kindred and WGLF. I don't run spine chill, honestly my weakness is definitely stealth killers, but I am worried if I run Spine Chill I'd come to depend on it too much, and also I just don't want to drop anything from my build to run it.

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,549

The last time a Ghostface grabbed me it was in the House of Pain at the very beginning of the match, when I found his totem and in the two seconds between my scans he showed up, and the bad audio occlusion kept me from hearing him. This was some time before the Silent Hill Chapter came out, and I know this because I was still playing Bill (I have this recorded) and I've played Cheryl since that chapter.

In general it's really not that hard to hear the stealthies coming, and once they've revealed they're a stealth killer it's not that crazy to keep your eyes open. Generally if it's been 30 seconds, no one's been hit, and I haven't heard a TR I assume a stealth killer and act accordingly until I'm told otherwise.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

I used to always run spine chill but I got bored of the playstyle. Sure it's really good against stealth killers, but at most all they get on me is a hit and I can just use the speed boost to get to a safe tile or use sprint burst. And I'm usually fine with taking a hit from a stealth killer because they don't have a way of quickly downing me after that first free hit. The only exceptions would be GhostFace and Myers being 99'd I guess, but I almost never play against those killers and I can't even recall the last time I got 99'd next to a gen.

• BSVben
    BSVben Member Posts: 256
  • hardtimefun
    hardtimefun Member Posts: 293
    edited April 2021

i've learned to play with my eyes and not ######### up killers stealth with 1 single perk and also have skills, spine chill users are cowards and dead hard users and awful and always do mistakes

• BSVben
    BSVben Member Posts: 256

To be fair, spine chill is a multi purpose perk, due to the gen and especially the vault speed bonus. Not necessarily just for urban evading cowards.

• Seoul
    Seoul Member Posts: 54

I’m currently playing without Spine Chill because my Yun-Jin Lee doesn’t have it unlocked yet and I’m doing fine. I do really like using Spine Chill though and will put it back on when I have it. It just makes me feel safer in certain situations and I like the heads up it gives me to start thinking about hiding or running. I get sooo nervous in games against stealth killers so this gives my heart a rest. XD

I can play without it. I just prefer not to. :)

• hardtimefun
    hardtimefun Member Posts: 293

I know, but it's still really annoying for any stealth killers

• Mrs_Fairfield
    Mrs_Fairfield Member Posts: 125

The pebble can give you a lowkey spine chill. If it starts charging you know the killer is around. Bond gives you a great heads up too, you can get a good idea of where the killer is just by what your teammates are doing. I prefer those perks for info than spine chill.

• ChomboIie
    ChomboIie Member Posts: 11

I enjoy spine chill!! Usually use it when I play, can’t let that sneak Myers creep on me ;)

• TheDuhJ
    TheDuhJ Member Posts: 475

oddly enough, never by them. But I once got grabbed by freddy. He had tinkerer on and he was coming up from the dead dog saloon gen where the gallows are. And another gen was almost done. His tinkerer went off and from that angle I ignored him thinking he was a fedora dwight. Strange I know

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050

It’s funny, but every time I take spine chill off, the first round I play is against Myers or Ghostface on an indoor map. And they usually can see through walls. I’m not even joking, it’s like the game intentionally scans the lobbies for the worst killers for me to go against without spine chill. So back on it goes, lol.

Hearing Ghostface’s cloak and Myers breathing works but even that has its limits because other sounds like gens can mask their approach.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    edited April 2021

I pretty much never use Spine Chill.

I just make sure to pay attention to everything around me before deciding to engage in anything. I.e. I observe before making decisions.

This said though, I do use Bond + Open Handed frequently in my builds, which acts as a great substitute to Spine Chill or Premonition.

It can tell me:

• When a chase is coming my way based on a running survivors behaviour, and to get ready to make some snap decisions.
    • If i DON’T see a chase occurring but hear the TR, I can be pretty confident the killer is coming my way and I need to immediately move away.
    • If I see a survivor icon suddenly change to injured, and I don’t see that survivors aura within my 44m range, then I know the chase is occurring really far away, and gives me a good idea which 2 to 3 areas the killer could be.

Amongst those things its also great to eat to know who needs healing, where I can get healing, which gens I can help on, which gens I SHOULDN’T jump onto if I know the killer is running Discordance. Very useful perk combo. I can’t wait for the Open Handed buff so I can get 52m Bond.

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481

I use spinechill, but I never replace my eyes with it. If you need spinechill to avoid getting grabbed off a gen by a stealth killer, your using it wrong. What it does best is less 'killer detection' and more 'get inside the killer's head.' There are plenty of situations where you know the killer is near but knowing if the killer is visually tracking you is helpful.

If you find it is a must-run perk, I suggest you learn to play without it. Once your good without it, try running it. It does wonders at LOS blocked loops and stuff like fade aways and oldschool jukes to know if they worked or if you need to start running again.

• dspaceman20

Thanks so much for the tips. I think I will use bond and open handed more.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

It gives WAY more usable information than is given credit for.

The best, obscure example is the one I mentioned about seeing an injured icon but not seeing who’s aura it is. It’s still giving me a LOT of usable info even in that circumstance.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,501

Jeez even on the gens that are like right around corners so all the killer has to do is come in a door and just instantly press to pull ya off? Like i can see as well but gens like that if the killers running aura reading not much i can do.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,175

I never ran it to begin with so I just got used to the game real fast w/o it. Not very hard to spin a camera to keep an eye out. Its just a waste of a slot for me compared to something else that I get real value from. But to each their own!

• Fraudette
    Fraudette Member Posts: 84

I used to run spine chill every game, but I quickly realized that I wasn't utilizing it properly and misinterpreting a lot of the info it was giving me. That, or it was telling me things that weren't hard to miss in the first place. It made me more inclined to play immersed and I suddenly felt that the only times I could ever do actions were when it was off, because that confirmation of "Safety" was very addicting. I made the decision to stop running it to better help my gameplay and awareness, and it made an almost immediate and positive difference in my confidence, how I played and how I looked out for information.

Playing without spine chill made me search harder and stay more aware of my surroundings as a result, since I was far more on edge knowing I was without it. It also encouraged me to pick up on cues and details I would have missed before. I haven't had it on my kit in about a month and I'm super glad I made the choice to drop it! Maybe one day I'll pick it back up again.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

I've only been playing the game for 2 weeks now and most of that time was without spine chill. I've played a character with it for a few days and while I find it convenient, it doesn't feel like it makes a huge difference in my survival rate. Maybe (ironically) it will be more suited to my playstyle if I get better, I don't know.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

I don't play with Spine Chill. I'd say I get grabbed very rarely -- less than 1/25 matches against a stealth killer. Mostly because, for a killer to sneak close enough to get a grab, you have to be positioned somewhere where you can't see them at any point during the approach, and those spots don't spawn as often as you'd think.

I do, however, get hit during vaults all the time. So, take that as you will.

• PigsEatBacon
    PigsEatBacon Member Posts: 53

You can literally apply this thinking to any perk. Like why even use perks at all if you're going to be ridiculous about it?

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 953

Never really cared for Chill. I have the sense to look around and angle myself on a gen as best of a bet as I can to spot a Stealth Killer. Getting caught or hit is more likely because of taking a wrong turn. But never because a got stealthed off a gen.

• alex9er
    alex9er Member Posts: 96

Honestly nowadays most maps are wide open to a point where playing against stealth killers isn't that "hard" because you can spot them easily.