Why is there a chat filter ?

Witas
Witas Member Posts: 477

The devs love repeating how it's a dialogue between them and us and how they're always listening to the players, then answer me this: Who asked for the chat filter ? The idea of a chat filter in a mature "horror" game (yeah I know it's an action game, not a horror one, but it's horror-themed, so I think this still applies) is silly on it's own, but okay ... I understand how, even though I personally am not fazed by toxicity such as racial slurs, some players might be, but then, why is it so bad ? It censors so many non-offensive things such as Yun-Jin Lee, Myers, killer (in a game, where you kill people.) and many many more it's honestly baffling. Better yet though, why is it non-optional ? We're not children and this is a PEGI 18 rated game, to me at least, it being mandatory shows that devs have a very condescending attitude towards us.

Comments

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,499

Agreed but i cant even say the new characters name because its somehow racist...and cant say killed because...whatever reason.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they added it because of the sheer number of reports they get about racism, sexism, etc. in the post-game chat. Plus all the complaints about toxicity. Plus there's probably legal reasons involved as well.

I do think that the filter goes way too far, but I also think it's better than nothing. Filtering out the bad ones so you can chat with the good ones is always a good thing.

• getuy45u4iu
    getuy45u4iu Member Posts: 93

I like this new chat filter. I wish there was an option to disable chat in settings, but anyway having the filter is better than not having it. There's a difference between playing actual game and reading insults after it, the latter is more likely to be considered as something personal. And while insults are still possible, filtering some of them out will discourage players from using unacceptable language.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

Obviously we need to remove awful slurs such as Myers and Yun-Jin Lee

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

I think the biggest problem with the chat filter is the morons who decided what gets censored. It should also be optional.

• sad_killer_main
    sad_killer_main Member Posts: 785

Probably since after this kpop chapter a lot of teenagers would join the game.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

Alot of people asked for a something to be done with chat due to the amount of toxicity they received. About 6 months ago in an interview Cote was asked about the toxicity and he brought up they had an outside company working on a chat filter for them because of how horrible people could be in it. There were plenty of posts here of people complaining about what was said in the end game chat and complaining about players not being banned (or banned long enough) due to what was said in chat. They had questions on surveys specifically asking about the chat and how players felt about it.

The chat is new, I'm sure they're going to make adjustments to what is/isn't blocked. Preventing people from using slurs and telling people to die isn't something that should be optional. Blocking someone's ability to say toxic things removes the satisfaction they get from it - those types if they can't get over not being able to say horrible things to people will leave the game and find somewhere else to be toxic.

• zomp
    zomp Member Posts: 18

The chat bubble can be minimized and nobody is forcing you to read comments before or after a game.

• getuy45u4iu
    getuy45u4iu Member Posts: 93

I know it can, but not everyone remembers it has to be minimized at all times, also someone may prefer to keep the chat opened, expecting some positive interaction. Players ofter complan about toxicity, so something needed to be done about that.