Exit gates open - Entity starts to consume the map

Options
lindechene
lindechene Member Posts: 69
edited November 2018 in General Discussions

Opening the exit gates could become a strategic choice with a risk & reward system.

• When survivors open an exit gate the entity will start to consume the map starting from the gate that was opened.
  • The ground around the exit gate will become tainted by the entity.
  • Standing in the tainted ground will slowly start to taint survivors.
  • After around 30 seconds of standing in tainted ground the survivors are rooted in place.
  • Other survivors can try to free rooted survivors but risk to reach a critical level of taint in the process.

This mechanic would remove the safe zone around exit gates.
Survivors are forced to make more choices with consequences:

• Open the exit gate first and then try to safe and escape with a hooked survivor
  • First rescue the survivor to heal him safely and then escape.

• Depending on the distance of the hook it might be possible to run trough tainted ground and still reach the exit gate.

• Alternatively the survivors could try to reach untainted ground around the not yet opened second exit gate.

In any case the intention of this mechanic should be clear:

Once the exit gates are open survivors should try to leave as quickly as possible as long as they still can.

Post edited by lindechene on

Comments

• AgentTalon
    AgentTalon Member Posts: 331
    Options

That's a solid idea and I think it would be fun.

• RekinShark
    RekinShark Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Yes. I like it. 
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    Options
    It's cool, but the way this game is designed i'm pretty sure it would be way more buggy.
  • PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428
    Options
    I like this. Great potential.
  • Keene_Kills
    Keene_Kills Member Posts: 649
    Options

Killer could be given X% to movement and all action speeds for Y amount of time spent in the tainted area, since the purpose is to get Survivors TF out and on to the next match (and since the Entity favors them).

• apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245
    Options

I don't like this. It puts limitations on the number of experiences a player can have by forcing everyone 'to get on with it already'. There are so many games that force this experience on the player... why not just go play fortnite?

I'd rather see mechanics that prevented survivors from escaping and forced them to deal with the killer, rather than encouraging them to gen rush, then bolt out of the trial.

• Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608
    Options
    how does this encourage gen rush? apropos said:

I don't like this. It puts limitations on the number of experiences a player can have by forcing everyone 'to get on with it already'. There are so many games that force this experience on the player... why not just go play fortnite?

I'd rather see mechanics that prevented survivors from escaping and forced them to deal with the killer, rather than encouraging them to gen rush, then bolt out of the trial.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

@lindechene said:
    Opening the exit gates could become a strategic choice with a risk & reward system.

• When survivors open an exit gate the entity will start to consume the map starting from the gate that was opened.
    • After around 30 seconds of standing in tainted ground the survivors are rooted in place.
    • Other survivors can try to free rooted survivors but risk to reach a critical level of taint in the process.

• Open the exit gate first and then try to safe and escape with a hooked survivor

• Depending on the distance of the hook it might be possible to run trough tainted ground and still reach the exit gate.

• Alternatively the survivors could try to reach untainted ground around the not yet opened second exit gate.

Once the exit gates are open survivors should try to leave as quickly as possible as long as they still can.

I believe that is the first time that a low-post user with a survivor picture has given a really decent suggestion.

Keep it up

• TheEliteTurtle
    TheEliteTurtle Member Posts: 108
    Options

@not_Queen said:
    Nice feedback! Sending to the design team :)

If the Entity eats the map, then what does it taste like?

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

Treat it like Blood Warden and 99% the Gates.

• rebelhunter316
    rebelhunter316 Member Posts: 102
    Options

@not_Queen said:

Like chicken?
  • purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661
    Options

@AgentTalon said:

Terrible idea. It should go from points farthest from the gate, but also affect the killer. Someone is just sour over the gates being powered and people not leaving because they were bad.

• Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,523
    Options
    The Clown's gas as the taint could be fun. Screams and hindered effect. No new status required! 
  • purebalance
    edited November 2018
    Options

@Supernaut said:
    The Clown's gas as the taint could be fun. Screams and hindered effect. No new status required! 

@Supernaut said:

Sure as long as the gas also affects the killer. This is just a buff to killers who get mad that they had someone pulled off the hook in end game.

• purebalance
    Options

@PhantomMask20763 said:
    Why does the community have better ideas than most of the mechanics in-game right now. This is a really good idea but how would it affect the killer or is he not affected at all? Solid idea and would definitely prevent the whole waiting at the exit gates thing.

Except this isn't a better idea. This is just an idea that is terrible from sour killers who want to have their kill that they don't deserve. You want the idea to be good? If a hooked survivor is enveloped by the gas, they are unhooked and teleported to the exit gate.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

I like this, practically solves all of the problems with survivors waiting at the exit gates when everyone is healed and safe.

I may ask, how fast would this spread?
  • Milkymalk
    Milkymalk Member Posts: 217
    Options

@purebalance said:

@AgentTalon said:

Terrible idea. It should go from points farthest from the gate, but also affect the killer. Someone is just sour over the gates being powered and people not leaving because they were bad.

Why should it affect the killer and why should it start AWAY from the open gate? The purpose is to tell survivors "You opened the gate? Great, now get out and don't unnecessarily prolong the game. The killer knows he lost, don't waste his time."

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,697
    Options

Feels like a knockoff on the fortnight mechanic.

• FinLadd
    FinLadd Member Posts: 190
    Options

This is a REALLY awesome idea... I Love it
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    Options

The issues with this would be:

1.Small maps like say Haddonfield/Springfield

1. Both exit gates close together

2. High mobility killer like say Billy, Nurse , Spirit, Wraith.

3. How would this affect both sides?

4. Would this jus funnel survivors who just healed up or did a rescue right to the waiting killer?

I could list other things but you get the point since this isn't PUBG or Fortnite..

• Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959
    Options

Oh what a surprise WHO will be the one that will try to tell this is a bad idea…?

• S0ckenSchuss
    S0ckenSchuss Member Posts: 110
    Options

I hope Entity also can eat the hatch. Once reached, its not usable anymore because its got eaten... or something like that.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    Options

@Wolf74 said:
    Oh what a surprise WHO will be the one that will try to tell this is a bad idea…?

Oh what a surprise another troll comment from you, it's almost as if you can't stand people discussing the pros and cons of something that you like.

• ForsakenLemon
    ForsakenLemon Member Posts: 42
    Options

I like this idea,, windows start to get bamboozled, pallets break, jungle gyms melt, the whole map becomes more hostile.

I'll admit, when I go against a bad killer I stay behind and cleanse totems, and try to get as many blood points as I can, so this would be a great incentive for late game

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options
    powerbats said:

@Wolf74 said:

Oh what a surprise another troll comment from you, it's almost as if you can't stand people discussing the pros and cons of something that you like.

He doesn't wanna have a civilized discussion, I tried talking to him about some balance changes and didn't like it when I made some points.

Back on topic, this would be cool, it correctly punishes survivors who are greedy.
  • Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959
    Options

I can't remember you making a point anywhere.
    Just repeating some biased memes isn't "making a point" in my book.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    Options
    Cool idea won't work enless they make gates lose progress, otherwise people will just 99% a gate then go for the save.
  • Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,003
    Options

@TheEliteTurtle said:

@not_Queen said:

salt most likely

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,003
    Options

@lindechene said:

I agree with this, survivors would want to escape immediately to save their own ass, the purpose of the exits

• Maj33y
    Maj33y Member Posts: 236
    Options
    Then I will stop playing the Game if this gets implemented .. aside from it being unrealistic it's also annoying how Survivors do not get Blood points as much as Killer get per match so sometimes I'd go for unopened chests , Cleanse totems at the very end if you are that bad as a killer then Maybe you should go play Minecraft or something
  • apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245
    Options

@Avariku said:

@apropos said:

how does this encourage gen rush?

Well, it doesn't directly, but gen rushing is an example of how objectives become an efficient routine for success. The OPs idea would simply add another element similar to that, which indirectly places restrictions on how we interact later in the trial - if it all becomes routine like gen rushing has. Gens finished? Open the exit gates. Exit gates open? Leave quick!

It doesn't make sense to me to restrict how or when we interact. I don't think I'm alone here, but, I most look forward to the interactions I have with survs playing as the killer (and vice versa). The objectives are really only there to make these interactions have some purpose.

Some of the best moments happen after the gens are done and exit gates open, when the survs feel a bit safer and they become more brazen. I think that OPs idea would make experiences like that rare.

As a side note, I can see this causing problems for survivors that aren't ready to leave, too. Some players could accidentally, or intentionally, open the exit gates before all survivors are ready, forcing people to exit. If they aren't hooked.

I mean, counting on people to not open the exit gates early is like counting on people to finish the gens before harvesting nectar during the hallowed blight event.

Oh, and holding the trial hostage could be done by hiding before opening the exit gates, too.

• MisterCremaster
    MisterCremaster Member Posts: 614
    Options

While we're add it, can we add in 96 other survivors? Then maybe let them fight them each other? Lets remove the killers to. Oh F*it, lets just go play a battle royal game.

There are better ways to encourage survivors to leave after the exit gates are open. NOED for example is already in the game, and its really the primary intention.

You just start to have survivor life begin to drop and not be healed, putting them into injured and down states as it progresses. This also punishes them for being hit in the first place, and rewards the killer for making contact.

Or have auras of survivors start to be revealed at progressively larger radius.

Or progressively killer more speed to chase.

Or just make the exit gates slowly start to close again, and if they do, anyone left out is automatically considered hooked.

• purebalance
    Options

@Milkymalk said:

@purebalance said:

@AgentTalon said:

Why should it affect the killer and why should it start AWAY from the open gate? The purpose is to tell survivors "You opened the gate? Great, now get out and don't unnecessarily prolong the game. The killer knows he lost, don't waste his time."

Because you said so? This is a direct attempt to buff killers in a way that isn't needed.

More like this change is "You beat the killer, but they got lucky and got someone with NOED at the end? Tough you can't save them" So no this change is ridiculous and stupid unless it affects everyone and starts AWAY from the gate.

• purebalance
    Options

@Wolf74 said:

I don't often agree with him, but it is a bad idea. I'm also pretty sure he's a killer main.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    Options
    apropos said:

@Avariku said:

@apropos said:

how does this encourage gen rush?

Well, it doesn't directly, but gen rushing is an example of how objectives become an efficient routine for success. The OPs idea would simply add another element similar to that, which indirectly places restrictions on how we interact later in the trial - if it all becomes routine like gen rushing has. Gens finished? Open the exit gates. Exit gates open? Leave quick!

It doesn't make sense to me to restrict how or when we interact. I don't think I'm alone here, but, I most look forward to the interactions I have with survs playing as the killer (and vice versa). The objectives are really only there to make these interactions have some purpose.

Some of the best moments happen after the gens are done and exit gates open, when the survs feel a bit safer and they become more brazen. I think that OPs idea would make experiences like that rare.

As a side note, I can see this causing problems for survivors that aren't ready to leave, too. Some players could accidentally, or intentionally, open the exit gates before all survivors are ready, forcing people to exit. If they aren't hooked.

I mean, counting on people to not open the exit gates early is like counting on people to finish the gens before harvesting nectar during the hallowed blight event.

Oh, and holding the trial hostage could be done by hiding before opening the exit gates, too.

I dont really agree with the argument that you're trying to make... the only "best moments" that happen after gates are open is farming... this idea would stop that... it could potentially make stats more accurate as well.... moments like when killers that should have gotten a 1k but instead got a 2 or 3k because survivors were greedy would possibly be more rare thus making the stats more accurate... this end game could open up a whole new bag of perks, items (please new items and addons for survivors) and would make end game much better... getting chased by the killer with the entity consuming the map around you? That sounds bad ass!!
  • Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    Options
    Bump 
  • Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

That could be interesting