Trickster Buffs Coming In Next Bugfix Patch

Options
13»

Comments

• Bravescorpio
    Bravescorpio Member Posts: 152
    edited April 2021
    Options

I agree and I want to focus a bit here on the Plague as I think he is most similar to (ie, needs many "strikes" to injure, like tricker does)

This comparison is where you see how weak he is. The Plague is not considered overly good. But her "knives" so to speak only need to touch someone and they WILL be injured. Also, with one good long shot and she can injure someone almost instantly. If she doesn't commit to the chase the damage continues almost as though she were still hitting them, the exact opposite of the trickster.

Her projectile also has no spread and is very easy to aim (Trickster spread is getting looked at, but lets talk about him as he exists and not what we don't know)

If we just let it here, he is a steaming pile of garbage, but it gets better, they both have powered-up moves. The Plagues is like the huntress on steroids, you WILL get an injure. The trickster? Maybe, maybe not, it may not even help you.

Have we beaten the tricker to death yet? Sure have, good, lets CONTINUE.

The Plague moves at full speed around the map!

Like... I just don't even...

• Negi
    Negi Member Posts: 378
    Options

Some good changes on there. Control especially will be nice since the recoil and spread were unnecessary, and the keep up and draw time will be noticed as well.

Doubt main event will be useful as long as it has the long startup and can't be stored. Laceration decaying still seems like a bad idea when other ranged killers damage in one shot and aren't forced to commit or lose all their progress like Trickster.

Still, overall sounds like good changes for Trickster. Hopefully the Wraith lunge is in the patch too, that would be nice.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

That's really nice, but no survivor buffs. Constantly buffing one side and nerfing the other isn't all that exciting.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,653
    Options

Wasn't the duration of Smash Hit buffed from the PTB as well as the new stealth perk?

:3

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,013
    Options

If we ignore all the times survivors have gotten buffs, then we can complain about all the times killers get buffed.

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    edited April 2021
    Options

Laceration going down is the only thing that makes him differ from old legion. It must stay like this

Hot take: get ghostface's mark to go down too after x seconds

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

Yeah the problem is that the trickster can't put enough pressure to have a lasting damage on survivors. You can hit 7 knifes and all the survivor has to do is properly loop or hide, and all that time is basically wasted. So either his laceration should have to be mended after you hit a certain number of knifes. Or either they have to reduce the number of knifes it takes to injure a survivor. Because currently it takes too long to take down a survivor for the average player. And his main even should be an instadown, you get one knife to throw, and it can take down a healthy survivor. Or he should be a 115 killer, as he can't put the pressure that deathslinger has or Huntress.

• Shenshen
    Shenshen Member Posts: 256
    Options

Er wird weniger geslowed wenn er seine Messer wirft, sowohl im Main Event als auch außerhalb. Er braucht nur noch 0,35 sekunden um seine Messer zu ziehen und nicht mehr 0,5 sekunden., dafür braucht es jetzt 1,25 sekunden um seine Messer wieder wegzustecken. Sie haben auch geändert, dass das Messerwerfen nicht mehr so stark die Kamera nach oben zieht und das die Würfe nicht mehr so hart spreaden. Außerdem wurde auch sein Main Event Cooldown verkürzt auf 5 sekunden, anstatt 10. Also nach dem sein Main Event vorbei ist, ist es nur noch 5 sekunden auf cooldown bevor sich seine Leiste wieder auffüllen kann. Es dauert 20 sekunden bevor sich die Platzwunden (glaube das heißt Laceration) wieder resetten, anstatt 15 sekunden. Also overall hat er eigentlich nur Buffs bekommen. Hoffe das hilft^^

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,022
    Options

he would have unique play-style and actual strength that other range killers would not have access to. Given response to the suggestion, he is in this current spot for this exact reason. He is balanced by survivor mains, that is why it is so easy to escape against him and any change you suggest to improve him is met with "too oppressive". I do not see how 5 seconds of laceration is going achieve anything.

• Artick
    Artick Member Posts: 623
    Options

I want to believe that, but solo queue has been miserable to play for a long time and nothing was ever done or even acknowledged. Even if some people here don't want to admit, a lot has been done in the last few years to make killers life much better and changes keep happening for them. Yet, nothing to help solo survivors.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,487
    Options

@Shenshen I do really appreciate you translating that for the user, but please keep this section of the forum in English - we do have language sections if needed. But it was very kind of you to translate.

• Shenshen
    Shenshen Member Posts: 256
    Options

My bad! won't happen again but thank you for reminding me!

• Witas
    Witas Member Posts: 477
    Options

Im a killer main. This comment is just lol in general

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 743
    Options

This is an ok starting point.

he still has map pressure issues at 110 with none of the lethality of other 110 killers. You have to think extremely low of survivors to not think they can easily dodge these knives and they have to get min 8 hits to get injured and I’d they loop long enough then it’ll take the killer more. It’s significantly more punishing for the killer and makes one use their bat instead.

if the goal is the get players to utilize his knives over his basic attack, then there needs to be a reason too. Chases need to end quickly for all killers but especially ones at 110 speed and slower if using their power.

if the goal to to be more like ph and both his basic and knives are both situation then he needs mobility to utilize his basic attack and to zone at loops when not using his knives.

I know the worry is of him being too oppressive for players but he has no map mobility or lethality.

laceration decay itself is a problem, amount of knives is still a problem and basic speed needs to be 115.

lastly, I know these tweaks are centered around PC players but as someone on switch, I was hopeful that this would be a killer that would be made in mind with controller users. Making aim itself more difficult with recoil and spread out knives was only further pushing the skill cap for controllers and it felt punishing. I’m hoping these changes are able to close that gap.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options

Hello DBG, I have a question if you can answer it

Iri postcard’s change (allows exposure at max laceration) is still really weak as even though it exposes survivors, you might as well hit the survivor with another knife instead of go for the M1 due to Trickster’s slow M/S, any plans on either changing or reworking this add-on or are you guys waiting for more information?

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited April 2021
    Options

Good changes. I think it will address a few big problems he has.

I really think Main Event needs some love though - glad they are fixing the lowered speed, but there's still so many reasons why it could very well be dumb to actually use it when you can.

1.) Allow the killer to use it when they want or, at very least, increase the window to use it from like 5 seconds (or whatever ridiculous number it currently is) to about 3x longer. Barring that, maybe try to impliment a way to "99" it that feels good - like Myers and Ghostface have. Just flat out not using your power at around 99%, hoping that you'll happen to be in the perfect place with no obstructions to launch knives unobstructed feels like crap.

2.) Allow the killer to cancel it when they want. Sometimes its more important to vault than stand at a window throwing knives at nothing for another 3 seconds.

At present, it seems like 90% of the time using Main Event hurts you rather than helps... and I think if all that changes is the speed he moves, that might drop the number to 70%.

• ZenithZX
    ZenithZX Member Posts: 43
    Options

These are nice changes, but his Main Event is still garbage since you can't choose when to activate it like Oni. It basically forces you to use zero knives for the rest of the game if you want to save it until you find an oppurtunity to use Main Event which even then might not do enough.

He needs more freedom to use it when he needs to. Its just a good QoL buff. If its too oppressive, then make it take slightly longer to activate or give a global audio cue to indicate he's using it.

• dbd900bach
    dbd900bach Member Posts: 579
    Options

Yes and no. At the very least you won't be hindred by crazy recoil

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

Wish they would buff his appearance! Don't like being chased by a sweaty sleazeball.

• Starshadw
    Starshadw Member Posts: 266
    Options

I really wish they'd stop snap-reacting to opinions before making changes. Wait and gather actual statistics on matches before throwing changes into the mix. There's a very big difference between perception and reality. I finally gave up counting the number of streamer matches I watched where the streamer complained about Trickster being weak the entire time, yet still got 2-4k.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,013
    Options

None of the changes to Trickster listed here are going do much for him. He still has the same issues as before, but now he'll actually feel better to play. The devs are still playing it safe.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited April 2021
    Options

Mmnhh better than nothing; but make bounce knives base kit for the love of god they are not even that strong. "bUt tHeY cAn aIm At yOur FeEt" then make them not bounce off the ground, or not off the ground when near a survivor.

Also, the move speed changes may or may not be enough to make his main event not total garbage. We'll have to see on that front.

Still, it's nice to see the devs taking the correct action for once.

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2021
    Options

If developers like you posted more like this, half the communication problems and hate people have to BHVR would be resolved.

Like why won't you make bounce knives base kit? They are not really all that powerful at all; I might get like 3 hits with them in an entire game that are NOT just aiming at a survivors feet. So why not make bounce knives, something actually fun with him even if not strong, basekit? I mean you could just make them not bounce off the ground or not off the ground near a survivor if the feet thing is your only reason.....

You even nerfed the purple addon too; but again, they should do MORE laceration not less; except for again, that whole feet aiming thing I wish you would resolve so we would be allowed to have fun.

The problem with main event is still going to persist however. You get the meter full and.....the survivor is about to go down in like 1 or 2 knives anyways, and there is no real point in using it. You can't hold onto it or anything so it's never there when you could actually benefit from using it. (However the changes to speeds and accuracy should help make it functional in use if you ever can find a time to use it, as rare as that may be)

Seriously though, again, make bounce knives basekit they ARE THE ONLY INTERESTING THING HE DOES AND ARE NOT EVEN THAT GOOD, just let us have fun with him PLEASE. I don't care if they can't bounce off the ground, but bouncing off objects and walls is literally a HANDICAP TO USING YOUR POWER IT'S JUST FUN TO DO AND TRY. So why not let people try I don't understand?

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,182
    Options

glad I made your day but some people don't like long chases that what I got from your post but whatever.

• Hi_Hello_Gooday
    Hi_Hello_Gooday Member Posts: 97
    Options

main event is not normal speed its 92% of a survivors movement speed meaning hes slower then them

• Hi_Hello_Gooday
    Options

Just because players who play this game for a living are pub stomping people who play it for an hour a day doesnt mean hes strong

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,015
    Options

According to the feedback Trickster needs at least one of three things:

1. A buff from 110% to 115%. The community leaders might be tired of hearing this one but it's possibly to most effortless (but appropriate) buff he could get. He could have the mid-risk, low-reward ranged power while keeping the speed advantage that the game is built around. A compromise that could help him differentiate from Huntress.
    2. A rework of the laceration feature. Landing knives doesn't feel rewarding. Even if you down a health state, the effort of achieving that goal doesn't feel rewarding either. Instead of changing the knife count, maybe there could be separate mending for each knife. Or laceration starts to decay after a long period of time (i.e. a whole minute). Giving a setback to being struck by knives can add into Trickster's pressure as a whole. Survivors can make a choice to mend away knives if they want, or they could be more cautious if they still have laceration. Either choices will waste time for survivors. (And honestly the image of a victim painfully pulling out knives from their wounds seems like such a thing Trickster would do)
    3. Have Main Event activate by command. Main Event sheer throw rate can help Trickster easily down one person quickly even through both health states. If the players aim was precise (Which Trickster mains will no doubt practice on) then it could potentially down/injure multiple survivors. The real issue is that you can't use Main Event in the situations most fitting for it. Just imagine you and another survivor are on a gen. Suddenly you see Trickster with Tinkerer appearing from a corner. Main Event activates. Injuring you and downing your friend. That honestly sounds terrifying.

It's okay if people don't agree with these summaries. Just some food for thought to anyone on the team. I love Trickster so much. I'm half-Korean and never expected representation like this in a video game. His design and lore was executed so well. He's missing the few notes from a perfect song.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

I've seen streams like that too but it's always them with 3 slowdown perks and rarely if ever using their power.

All this does is make his power more appealing as an option and not something that wastes more time than just going for the m1.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

The first one won't happen, and for good reason.

The reason he is 110% killer is because he is supposed to have a very strong ranged power; that is why killers like Deathslinger, Huntress, etc are slower. They can injure you from a distance and deny certain loops.

Trickster's problem however is that his power was too weak to ever do that. His power is what is supposed to be his fun part, not just M1ing all day at 115.

ergo, fixing his power to be good enough to warrant a 110 ms is the ideal goal; and the one they will be going for no doubt.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

They did say they’ll continue to monitor his performance. They’ll be able to know whether or not Main Event effective or not, given time.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Also I imagine some of these changes should transfer over to main event. So it shouldn't be "worse" it should be a fair bit better. Just being able to move at a decent speed will make it at least functional now and not too much of a hinderance.

I predict it will go from literally sabotaging yourself to use; to having good niche uses lol.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited April 2021
    Options

I really wish they'd stop snap-reacting to opinions before making changes.

Do they, though? From what I understand, they actively don't make balance changes this soon after a Killer is released after the whole Freddy debacle. You see people complaining that a new Killer is too weak all the time (whether that is actually true or not is a different discussion), but they'll generally be left alone for a good while. For them to actually make changes this quickly to me is a sign that the devs were actually unhappy with the Trickster's situation based on initial performance.

• DrNick
    DrNick Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2021
    Options

They should increase his base movement speed cuz you cant throw Blades over a wall in a loop like on some spots on coldwind or Gideon etc.

Also: Crowd Control should be maximum 24 seconds and NOT a Hex!

Edit: he shouldv ault like Legion instantly over windows if you look at his animation thats what he does just too slow.

• JR000
    JR000 Member Posts: 25
    Options

Not a big fan really, I don't understand why you didn't have Main Event on toggle (like you could save it) instead of just having it randomly pop up at an inconvenient time with a small window that if you miss it it's just gone anyways. Could've made it take more or even way more but at least on toggle it would've been pretty good. Would've liked to seen one less blade per state or even one ricochet base kit but it does 50% instead of the full damage. Like sure the QoL changes are very nice (Speed boost and the spread being gone) but I just don't feel it's enough to make him worth playing over other killers but that being said at least he's more playable now.

• smappdooda
    smappdooda Member Posts: 543
    Options

Yah with so many people asking for bounce as base, I find it odd they refuse to do it. I'd like to hear why. I'd even accept "Cuz' we don't wanna LAWL".

• smappdooda
    smappdooda Member Posts: 543
    Options

I find this amusing considering BHVR is from a country where there is a law that things have to be in multiple languages. Cest' La vie.

• Starshadw
    Starshadw Member Posts: 266
    Options

It also doesn't mean he's weak. What it does mean is that those who play for more hours a day, and more days a week, have played enough to have started to master his mechanics. It's going to take a while for everyone else to catch up - and that's exactly why I would prefer they not start making changes to a new Killer until they've given the learning curve time to catch up, so as to see whether the Killer actually needs the buff or not.

• TAG
    Options

Or maybe it means that those who play for more hours a day, and more days a week, have played enough to master the fundamentals of being a killer enough to be able to bulldoze potatoes?

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    Options

Well thank you very much for acknowledging the feedback we provide and then telling us you are. It is very much appreciated and makes us feel like you really do listen to us. It doesn't usually feel that way, so thanks.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009
    Options

I'm curious if they are enough (or the right buffs) to make him viable, but I'm happy he is getting buffs sooner rather than later. I do hope they fix his chaser emblem not counting downs with his knives as well.

I wonder how bad Caged Heart Shoes will get nerfed. They were honestly one I stocked up on and one of my personal faves since they weren't rare and felt good on him. Melodious Murder and Trick Blades were my other two picks, but they're rarer and not as easy to use every match.

• Hi_Hello_Gooday
    Options

No, there's nothing to master, his power is just huntress 8 times there's no depth to it. He plays like plague because his powers weak so he has to m1 yes but skill from his power is just huntress fundamentals.

• TAG
    Options

I'm suggesting that those players have just mastered the fundamentals of a Killer in general and can stomp potatoes as a result, regardless of which Killer they are playing.