Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

I don't think kindred should be made base kit

Yords
Yords Member Posts: 5,781
edited April 2021 in General Discussions

The effect it has on solo queuing survivors is amazing. It gives them the most important information they need when they need it through aura reading.

Aura reading should be limited to the use of perks or items. Aura reading base kit seems a bit too much for solo queuing survivors as well. I know that solo needs a buff, but I just don't t think making it base kit would work. After all, it only helps to an extent.

I think solo queue needs something else, something to spice things up that won't break the game.

I agree.

The thing is, DBD is "balanced" around 4 solo survivors and the killer. That is why we have perks that give the player select amounts of information, such as Bond and Alert.

That is why SWF is an unsolvable problem. Using comms is a huge advantage, where it shouldn't be. -GeneralV

Very good point

Post edited by Yords on

Comments

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,472

But what if it was only a portion of kindreds effect

As basekit whenever a survivor is hooked the nearest survivor has their aura revealed to all other survivors (they get a small blue symbol in the bottom left to know this is the case)

that way the survivor is marked is the one who should go for the save and the survivor team can coordinate around the marked survivors actions but don't get the full effect of kindred or even see the killers aura

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited April 2021

@Breque

Camping should be addressed by giving survivors more options outside of perks, and then maybe there wouldn’t even need a reason to suggest that kindred should be built-in. Camping is a problem even in SWF.

Camping (along with other abusive actions) are the common denominator for why people even whine about solo Q.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193

just give survivors permanent aura reading and rework perks like bond and empathy

• Shenshen
    Shenshen Member Posts: 256

Usally I am not a fan of the idea to give killers or survivors aura reading for free but when I see how SoloQ is currently, maybe changing kindred to be basekit would be a good idea. It would give survivors better communication that usally only SWF has, the quality of games would be better for survivors and killers and it would be a change that wouldn't really buff SWF's. Sure immersion is important and all...but lets be honest, only for like the first 10-15 hours. In my opinion there is no argument against it.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,519
    edited April 2021

I agree.

The thing is, DBD is "balanced" around 4 solo survivors and the killer. That is why we have perks that give the player select amounts of information, such as Bond and Alert.

That is why SWF is an unsolvable problem. Using comms is a huge advantage, where it shouldn't be. 

• TheDuhJ
    TheDuhJ Member Posts: 475

Making survivor stronger does not make the game more balanced. If you want to balance the game, they should get rid of survivor with friends.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229

Kindred should not be made base kit, most folks understand why as well, and thankfully the devs absolutely do they have said that won't happen themselves.

However solo queue could use something; honestly I like Scott Jund's idea for solo queue information, that would help a ton.

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012

SWF have this information without perk, so what is wrong

And yes solo survivors need buffs because game balances against SWF. For that Solo survivors are so weak.

• [Deleted User]

Solo queue needs information to make it better yes; but kindred is very much not the same as what SWF have.

People will still use kindred even in a SWF for a reason; it gives a lot of instant, extremely accurate wordless information about everyone and everything going on; and also most importantly, the killer's location if they are within the hook distance.

Add further that open handed is due for a buff someday in the future; and you would be setting up a recipe for disaster.

There have been far better solutions suggested for the solo queue problems than just making Kindred basekit, which would likely do more harm than good; as it wouldn't even solve many of the actual solo queue problems anyways.

• Northener1907

Yes i know, kindred works only when someone on hook. But swf have informations all time. For example:

"I am working on gen but i saw totem on shack"

"Killer is coming to main building, i saw him"

"Killer is camping on me"

"I will down, be ready for flashlight saves" etc

Killers are weak against SWF teams usually but because for that killers balancing for SWF level. That is why Solo-q lives worst days. Solo survivors need some love. They have to chance too. And most of DbD players are solo survivor. If game lose them that will be so late for DbD.

• sesawyer3127
    sesawyer3127 Member Posts: 342

To me, Kindred is the answer to a killer who is camping a hook. I see Trickster all the time camping those hooks from the start because they say he is so weak so they camp. I imagine most will continue this until he is buffed here shortly. We see that camping with Kindred and dont even try the save. That player unfortunately takes one for the team while we are doing the 3rd or 4th gen and maybe the killer will learn to pressure the gens more and not make camping their "go to tactic". Not just Trickster though, I have seen Wraith do this more and more except that killer main is smarter because they know he is invisible. Well there is a fix for that, run comms for SWF, or Empathy or Bond and see no other survivor is being pressured so he is sitting by the hook and we just keep doing what were doing.

• [Deleted User]

Don't confuse me saying solo queue shouldn't get some much needed attention with me not wanting something problematic introduced.

There have been much better less intrusive options, that would buff solo queue even more than kindred would in better ways; while not causing problems like huge killer aura reveal and more information than even SWF players ever have

Also keep in mind, you would be giving kindred base kit to SWF as well, there is no way to give it to solo queue only because you might encounter a 2 or 3 person group and they would disable it on you, and that isn't fair either. So you would be buffing SWFs or just making it basically only work for such a tiny bit of people that it just outright serves no use anyways.

Dvs have already said Kindred will never be basekit anyways; but they would continue to pursue alternative methods of improving the solo queue experience. (They sure are taking their time don't get me wrong, but it won't be with kindred when it happens, and for good reason)

• Northener1907
    edited April 2021

Well i dont know are devs cares or not. Maybe you are right, kindred base kitt would be op for survivors. But Solo also weakest role in game and i am sure most of games solos losing. And so many people gets annoying for that. They need to do something for solo survivors or i am sure they will start to lose players. Because killing and crushing by killers is not fun. I mean you cant win always but game has to be balance and fair. When you play as solo surv, you have to know " yes i will have chance to escape ". But for months when i play as surv " another annoy game, if i am lucky game will be fun."

But i know that is hard because SWF makes this so hard. If you buff survivors, SWF will get new advantages too. And with that they will be stronger against killers. Maybe add voice chat and buff all killers. So swf was already had voice and all survivors will be same level, idk.

• [Deleted User]

Voice chat is also pretty much off the table.

However the most accepted solution to solo queue has been for the introduction of a communication wheel, and most people have been on board with that. Pressing a hot key and a wheel comes up that has varied options depending on what you are doing, you would drag your mouse and release the key, and it would send that information to other survivors- mirroring that you would have in a SWF.

So for example, say you are on a totem and you press it; your wheel would have things to say like "I am going for the save" or "I am being chased" and it would send that to the rest of the team and indicate who says it maybe with a little yellow flash on their icon or something.

It would literally be comparable to the same information as a SWF has; so it wouldn't be problematic or unfair in any way since it offers no benefit over what a SWF has and would only be redundant for SWFs.

Lastly, one thing I would leave you on though. Is that the game isn't just hopeless because it's solo, it happens because you get that one person from bad matchmaker or someone just griefing because "lol I hate ___ killer" and crap like that. When compared to normal matches at fair matching and such, stats showed SWF escape rate was only like....4% higher than solo queue.

Most of the solo queue problems will still happen; even after being given communication just because they are unknown people acting up- and there is nothing to be done about that.

• BabyCameron10
    BabyCameron10 Member Posts: 950

I made suggestion a while back, where I said that Kindred should be basekit without the killer aura reading part. Then, give the killer aura over to the perk, Camaraderie, Steve’s perk.

Aura Reading + More struggle time can give solo players a bit more time to make a move if the killer is camping.

• [Deleted User]

That information is still actually more than what SWF has in some areas; but less in others. It doesn't change the difference in coordination values a SWF has either which is where their strength mainly is.

Revealing locations specifically is VERY strong and making it base kit would be in kind buffing SWFs too. Then you now have to buff killers again because of it; meanwhile solo queue still struggles because they have none of the coordination benefits that a SWF has, and still subject to most of the same problems.

Proposed solutions like the communication wheel would solve more of the problem, not over buff anyone, be redundant to SWFs, and be easier to implement then start changing and re-balancing everything entirely.

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640
    edited April 2021

Basekit kindred would be fine if it were nerfed to only being able to see other survivor auras.. Kindred, the perk itself, should then have the added benefit of revealing the killer's aura.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

This. We need to give killers more reason to leave hook.

It's kind of sad how, even with BBQ, Make Your Choice, Pop and the new No Way Out, a lot of killers still resort to camping and tunneling.

There really isn't a way to stop camping or tunneling, if a killer wants to do these they can and will and others will be right there to say:

"iT's A vAliD sTraTeGy LOLLLLL just do gens"

Then complain about gen rushing being a problem

• posterum
    posterum Member Posts: 48

Precisely. And camping/tunneling are also the main reasons why people disconnect - even with the dc penalty which, as I foresaw, would only reduce dc right after implementation. Dcs are on the rise again, and they only go down when there is a new tome. Tome missions are far more effective to reduce people disconnecting than the dc penalty.

• TheDuhJ
    TheDuhJ Member Posts: 475

Kindred is too powerful of a perk for that. If its gonna be base, then showing other survivors might be ok, but showing the killer is absolutely broken. Maybe if Kindred gave you the ability to see the killer when hooked or when someone else is hooked and the base kits showing survivor then maybe.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,754

Basekit showing all of survivors, perfectly okay. That's the bit of kindred that everyone wants as base-kit anyway.

• valvarez4
    valvarez4 Member Posts: 868

If the killer rate is 65-75% and swf demolish killers you can’t say this game is balanced around 4 solos

• Mugombo
    Mugombo Member Posts: 509

Do you guys even understand the point of why people ask for kindred base kit? It’s to bump survivors up to SWF level, and with that then killers can also be buffed.

So let’s look at the information that kindred gives. It tells you where your teammates are when another survivor is hooked. SWF has this information by just talking. It tells you which direction the killer is going straight after an unhook, SWF gets the same info just by talking.

SWF has kindred as base kit, the only way to balance this game for all sides is to balance SWF and solo to have the same info

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

What is the solution to camping? Just do gens.

What would kindred basekit solve for soloQ? Tell the survivors when just to do gens.

Would it affect swf? No.

But you can just equip the perk, you simply don't want to give up your 'crutch' perks! Well, you don't want to give up your 'crutch' basekit camping either. And it's telling how the 'crutch' perks all have to do with countering camping/tunneling.

Don't make it basekit = I want free license to camp my way to a 4k against soloQ. Because if it was made basekit, suddenly ez 4ks would turn into 1/2k and you couldn't call circling the hook 'patrolling'.

See where I'm going? Kindred should absolutely be basekit. The devs say it's too much? Remember when they said mash-a-button struggle phase was fine too? I do.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050

This seems like a silly thread to start seeing as how the developers aren’t threatening to make it “base kit”.

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,549

I have had Kindred in my builds since 2017. It's an amazing perk and even on comms it makes for much easier shotcalling. I find it hilarious how many people have requested the effect be basekit, aka realizing it's a good perk and a strong power to have...but aren't willing to take it as a perk. It's been a staple of my builds for 4 years for a reason guys...

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,205

No auras. Instead 'Survivor Instinct'.

You'd have a button you can press (probably with a cooldown) that would display the 'heartbeat' graphic over each other survivor on the map, showing you the direction each other survivor is in.

It's less info than an aura perk like Kindred, but it gives you similar information to a SWF who are telling each other where they are on comms.

• RenTheCat
    RenTheCat Member Posts: 212

So killers already have all gens revealed, all hooks revealed, all gates revealed, huge red explosions in the map when someone makes a noise, huge marks in the floor to follow survivors that run and complete freedom to find the hatch. But they also need having all survivors revealed as part of their base kit?

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019

i have a better idea:

make kindred a basekit, BUT you cant see the killer like you can with regular kindred.

so basically all itll do is make it so survivors can see each other and decide whos going for the unhook

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531

We really don't need to make solo queue more like SWF unless folks actually do want a 30 minute Survivor queue.

If anything, we need to make SWF more fun for killer.

• notlonely
    notlonely Member Posts: 391

Please don't remove that part. I can approve that the aura reading range is reduced, but running Kindred has saved lots of teammates of mine frm dying to facecampers.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

Kindred base kit and Whispers base kit are what I think they should do. Would help solo que without really helping swf and it would help remove the immersion crap that happens a lot of times when 2 people are dead.

• Profezia
    Profezia Member Posts: 673

Kill rate is so high because of 2 reasons:

1) Flawed matchmaking that matches people based on their playtime in last month (and not even their winrate)

2) It's extremely easy to throw a game as survivor: death at 5 gen leads to the entire team being wiped, greed to get 4 escapes leads to teamwipe, etc. Not to mention that killers like Oni can easily wipe the entire team in dozens of seconds.

Once AT least new MMR matchmaking is released, a few months later we'll see more or less accurate data since survivors will be playing with more matching killers to them instead of seeing noob trappers and tournament nurses on same ranks.

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 542

I think Kindred should be basekit without showing the killer aura.

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841

If Kindred was base kit then the corrupt or BBQ should be for killers.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

@Yords do you ever feel that Kindred negatively influences your teammate's decision making?

I love when my teammates run Kindred, but every time I run kindred I regret it. It feels as though my teammates play gen-chicken, and are each holding out at the last possible moment to come unhook me--often leaving me to 2nd hook.

Or alternatively (and quite frequently), Kindred invites a teammate to sprint over to me, catching the killers attention in the process, leading to a stand-off. Moments later a 2nd teammate will leave their gen beacuse they can see whats happening, and the situation devolves into a half-assed semi-coordinated hook bomb that often leads to a 3-man slug.

The perk is amazing on paper, but in execution it always seems to fail me. I only wish I was running it the rare game I watch 2 teammates sit on gens a mile away, despite the third teammate entering the injured state--indicating they are being chased.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I don't think so, usually when teammates run over to you like that, it happens regardless of kindred. I feel that survivors just in general don't really know that they should be sneaking in for a safe save. The situation you are talking about is also a bit uncommon, so I think that kindred can only benefit your teammates' decision making.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,519
  • JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,060

None of those give you the exact location of survivors.

Don't play the "survivors are so weak" card. It's not a good look.